Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Are You Religious Or Spiritual? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Religious Or Spiritual? (1205 Views)

Fear Makes You Religious / Will Muslim Men Use A Physical Or Spiritual Joystick In Paradise? / Why Are You Religious? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Free(f): 5:02pm On Aug 06, 2006
I just want to know whether or not folks are religious or spiritual - which is it?
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by kenshin(m): 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2006
Some are religious, they just go through all the motions, some ae spiritual, they actually have an idea of what they are doing. the important thing I guess is to understand one's relationship with God.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2006
I have to agree!

We are all striving to be spiritual, but it aint easy until Christ comes into the heart.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:46pm On Aug 06, 2006
@ Free

I just want to know whether or not folks are religious or spiritual - which is it?

Even if some thought they were spiritual, it would not come over as wise to proclaim it. I'd rather people tell me I'm spiritual than say it myself. See where I'm going?
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by kenshin(m): 6:48pm On Aug 06, 2006
Bobbyaf:

I have to agree!

We are all striving to be spiritual, but it aint easy until Christ comes into the heart.

precisely, Spirituality devoid of christ is meaningless, that is why christianity is not a religion, it's a way of life
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2006
So true indeed. cool
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by BrownEyes4(f): 1:03am On Aug 07, 2006
Spirituality is not about being religious. I am not a Christian yet i am Spiritual. Who says for you to be Spiritual you have to be a Christian? The man they call Jesus was not a Christian yet he was one of the great Spiritual teachers. When you are aware of our connection to the universe and each other, spirituality comes into place. I personally feel when religion guides people then it leads to spirituality.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by naijadiva2(f): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2006
@ topic

what's the different?
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by gbadex1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 07, 2006
naija_diva:

@ topic

what's the different?

Religion - more like routine. just as you take your bath and brush your teeth every morning. kinda mechanical.

Spirituality- it's part of you. . . like your skin. . . just like breathing. not a routine cos you need to. i hope you get this.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:19pm On Aug 07, 2006
@ topic

what's the different?

Religion is really a set of rules that guide you towards becoming spiritual. Religion is the journey so to speak, but being spiritual is the final destination. I hope that made sense.

There are some problems that are associated with religion and these are:

1) its source

2) how one interprets the rules of the religion

As it pertains to (1) everyone makes a claim to being apart of the only true religion or faith

As it pertains to (2) personal ways of looking at how these rules should be carried out also poses a problem.

In this life there are always two great forces to contend with, which are: truth and error.

Our job is to make sure that whatever we are apart of belongs to truth and not error. Truth leads to freedom, but deceit leads to pain and sorrow.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by nferyn(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2006
Definitely not religious and I really wouldn't know what spiritual means. Haven't yet met a spirit and don't know how to recognise one.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:57pm On Aug 07, 2006
You never had an interest in spritual things before? Have you ever felt sympathetic towards someone who is suffering? Once you show concern for good principle then thats apart of being spiritual. cool
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by nferyn(m): 6:50pm On Aug 07, 2006
Bobbyaf:

You never had an interest in spritual things before?
I wouldn't know. I have no idea what spiritual things are.

Bobbyaf:

Have you ever felt sympathetic towards someone who is suffering?
Obviously. Isn't that the essence of being human?

Bobbyaf:

Once you show concern for good principle then thats apart of being spiritual. cool
How so? I don't understand
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:28pm On Aug 07, 2006
I wouldn't know. I have no idea what spiritual things are.

Ok. Let me see If I can make it a little easier. As you know everything needs a frame of reference so as to separate things into good or bad, right? Being spiritual means being good, kind, caring, unselfsih, etc.

Obviously. Isn't that the essence of being human?

Not necessarily. Humans in general are basically selfish. Just take a look around and you will see that. Some people only do good because they desire good in return. A spiritual person does it just for doing it, but with pure motives. Their only source of joy is service.

Its only as God comes into the heart and changes us that we are able to become spiritual, or better yet commence the spiritual journey.

How so? I don't understand

Because part of the reason for being spiritual is standing for that which is right. Standing for sound principles. Today we are bombarded with all sorts of values. The choice we make helps others to see the kind of spiritual development that is taking place in each and every one.

Hence a spiritual person will not do harm to himself/herself or do harm to others because of the values that such a person has come to accept.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by nferyn(m): 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2006
Bobbyaf,

In that case, I'm basically spiritual (most of the time), but without a belief in God. I just wonder what sets a spiritual person apart from a good, selfless person?
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:05am On Aug 10, 2006
@ nferyn

Bobbyaf,

In that case, I'm basically spiritual (most of the time), but without a belief in God. I just wonder what sets a spiritual person apart from a good, selfless person?

Only you can answer this yourself. Are you at the point where you're striving to be at peace with yourself? The spirituality of which I speak makes you at peace with yourself and all those around you. Until we desire to reach that point of loving all people with whom we come in contact, then our spiritual quest will be short circuited.

So from what I have said you might have picked up that it is all about sacrificing self for the well being of others because you love them. In this life with its limited resources its all about self and what you can gain.

Listen to a familiar passage of scripture:

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by Nia: 2:13am On Aug 17, 2006
Spiritual.
Re: Are You Religious Or Spiritual? by tega78(f): 12:31am On Apr 09, 2007
both

(1) (Reply)

"the Spirit Of The Lord Will Come Upon You In Power, And You Will Be Changed Int / Don't Blame The West, Poverty Or Israel For Rise In Islamism / ***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.