Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Why Are You Religious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You Religious? (1041 Views)

Fear Makes You Religious / Should Religious Organizations Be Made To Pay Taxes? / Are You Religious Or Spiritual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You Religious? by therationa(m): 11:04pm On Feb 20, 2008
Science may one day explain why we have intensely feelings of the religious type. Some of the heighten feeling of religious arousal have been replicated in the lab with the subjects reporting exactly the same type of feelings and sensations that religious believers experience.

Watch the attached video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOpa7OzMNU.
Re: Why Are You Religious? by 4Him(m): 2:27am On Feb 21, 2008
here is the problem, christianity is a religion to those who either dont understand it or for those to whom it is merely a label. To the rest christianity is a way of life and an intimate relationship with One who is both God and Father, it does not depend on touchy feelings of religious arousal.
Re: Why Are You Religious? by KAG: 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2008
therationa:

Science may one day explain why we have intensely feelings of the religious type. Some of the heighten feeling of religious arousal have been replicated in the lab with the subjects reporting exactly the same type of feelings and sensations that religious believers experience.

Watch the attached video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOpa7OzMNU.

Cool stuff. The cliche "there go I but for the grace of God" comes to mind - for both the being an evangelist and a member of the flock.

4Him:

here is the problem, christianity is a religion to those who either don't understand it or for those to whom it is merely a label. To the rest christianity is a way of life and an intimate relationship with One who is both God and Father, it does not depend on touchy feelings of religious arousal.

It occurs to methat your claim echoes a thougt I have. To people who don't feel the "magic" or whatever, reading is just a hobby, merely something you do for leisure. To me and others like myself, reading is something so much more: an intimate, indispensible way of life, so to speak.

What's my point? Christianity is still a religion.
Re: Why Are You Religious? by oloriooko(m): 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2008
Science is an unfortunate human way of independence and selfish indulgence in stupid beliefs.
I feel sorry for you anyway that you are caught in the web of this unfortunate scientific rubbish.

Religion is man's way of getting to God while Christianity is God's way of getting to man - make your choice.
For your info. Christianity is not a religion. Take it or leave it.

Your post is in the arena of hope, so we are waiting for the day that will never come!
Re: Why Are You Religious? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 22, 2008
I am a christian because there is power in the one who sits upon the throne and the lamb that was slain kiss kiss
Re: Why Are You Religious? by Esss(m): 11:45pm On Feb 22, 2008
I'm a christian because I was raised that way and that was all I knew growing up.

Train up a child in the way they should grow, ****************************
Re: Why Are You Religious? by TheSly: 11:48pm On Feb 22, 2008
because its the best way to live cool
Re: Why Are You Religious? by Gamine(f): 12:12am On Feb 23, 2008
Beyond this physical terrain
there is an invisible domain

where angels battle over souls in vast array
but down on earth is where we are
no wings to fly
no place to stand

Here on our knees we are strangers in this place
Nothing else to do but Live like Christ

Anybody can be religious

Christainity= Religion+Christ
Re: Why Are You Religious? by LordReed(m): 12:05pm On Feb 25, 2008
@Gamine
I will agree dat there is an unseen realm. I will agree dat there is God. Religion however in whatever form seems over elaborate to me.

An All Powerful God dat requires tiny pitiful humans to prance around dancing n grovelling at His feet does not seem like a concept I want to take seriously. I mean an All powerful God doesnt need me to validate His power.

All forms of religion seem to me to be only a cover for man to ursup authority over his fellow man using the unseen as an excuse.
Re: Why Are You Religious? by therationa(m): 12:11pm On Feb 25, 2008
Lord_Reed:

@Gamine
I will agree that there is an unseen realm. I will agree that there is God. Religion however in whatever form seems over elaborate to me.

An All Powerful God that requires tiny pitiful humans to prance around dancing n grovelling at His feet does not seem like a concept I want to take seriously. I mean an All powerful God doesnt need me to validate His power.

All forms of religion seem to me to be only a cover for man to ursup authority over his fellow man using the unseen as an excuse.

Well said. However, what do you mean by "unseen realm"? Do you mean undetectable? What is the evidence for such a claim? And is the "unseen realm" supernatural, that is, cannot be detected by natural means?
Re: Why Are You Religious? by LordReed(m): 12:30pm On Feb 25, 2008
@therationa
I will settle for undetectable at this time cos I believe there are things we cannot at this stage in our scientific development sufficiently report on. For instance ur mind where is it? In ur brain or merely linked to it?

(1) (Reply)

Identifying Angels / Is Jesus Coming Back? / 'Church of Tiger' Dissolved Because Of The Golfer's "Personal Sins."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.