Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,385 members, 7,815,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Between American And British Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Between American And British Universities (4106 Views)

Has American English Taken Over From British English? / Between American And British Elite Universities / Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between American And British Universities by dearie(m): 5:23pm On Aug 06, 2006
Please guys, I'm lost here!, if you have an opportunity to travel to both Britain and the USA for your Masters degree, with the mind of coming back to Nigeria to work, where would you go?

Between an average American University and British university, which do think employers will be more disposed to favouring?
Though pple believe British universities are highly sought after, but the cost of running such programs is really scaring me.

Please what do you advise?
Re: Between American And British Universities by Shagari2(m): 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2006
If u wanna go back to Nigeria I'll say go to Britain except of course if you get the chance to go to an ivy league school in the states, but if your not planning on coming home soon than go to the states.
Re: Between American And British Universities by dondele(m): 10:12pm On Aug 06, 2006
american man
Re: Between American And British Universities by Rams(m): 10:26pm On Aug 06, 2006
That really depends on a lot of things. For example, if are someone that gets homesick, it's a lot easier and cheaper to visit home from Britain than from the U.S.
Re: Between American And British Universities by Highbury(m): 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2006
Of coarse is britain, Nigeria companies respect the british schools, and britain is less stressful than america
Re: Between American And British Universities by LoverBwoy(m): 6:24pm On Aug 08, 2006
which do think employers will be more disposed to favouring?

I think the employer should be more concerned about the ability of the job seeker rather than the country where he/she studied wink
Re: Between American And British Universities by waleleader(m): 10:50pm On Aug 08, 2006
its not a contest, British Universities are better for Nigerian students. its Cheaper,faster and courses are easy to study. Study modules are similar to Nigeria's, except for the fact that no one victimises you and you are scored based on your perfomance. No Mr Lecturer grin
Re: Between American And British Universities by WesleyanA(f): 3:45am On Aug 09, 2006
canadian universities are cheap too.
Re: Between American And British Universities by my2cents(m): 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2006
Hmmm,

I think tis best to hear from someone who has had a master's firsthand or someone who has had the opportunity to perhaps do like a program where they get to school partly in the US and UK, rather than make statements based on prejudice as a result of where one is right now.

Personally, I would say, even if the person went to school in Cotonou, it wouldn't matter to me as an employer. What I want is quality. A person may have attended harvard or oxford (I blv in the realm of things, those 2 schools are equivalent in terms of reputation, though I cd b wrong wink) or UNN, to me at the end of the day, it boils down to what you bring to the table. I say this cos I have been in situations where I have competed for the same job as someone who attended an ivy league school but yet came out on top.

It's all in how you carry yourself, how you relate to pple, what you bring to the table. Then again, I am not in Naija, a country where I know status and big names are the order of the day ("My name is Engr Chief Doctor okoro nwafor. I obtained my "mastas" from oxford and phD from Harvard. I am well-travelled" LOL).

Ideally, where u study shdnt be an issue. Realistically though, I would have to go for UK, given similarities b/w the 2 countries' educational systems and the wrong stereotype that pple in america end up losing all their morals and culture upon de-planing in the US.
Re: Between American And British Universities by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 11, 2006
You are sure you are coming back I don't believe oh!!!!!!!!!
Re: Between American And British Universities by Jackal(m): 11:59am On Aug 11, 2006
@ Dearie,

Don't get it twisted.
British University is ur best bet especially if u consider working while in school.

U are only allowed to work only on ur campus if u are studying in America and these jobs dont come by easily cos a lot of international students like u are all competing for the few jobs available.

In UK, u can work anywhere u want and u can even take semesters off to get full-time jobs for support.
U cannot take any semster off in yankee as a student. Its either u go back to ur country of origin or study.
Life is so difficult as a student out there.
I have been there before and it wasn't easy at all.
Re: Between American And British Universities by my2cents(m): 3:07pm On Aug 11, 2006
Jackal:

I am happy you said
if u consider working while in school.
, as far as the US goes grin

As I tell pple coming from there on student visas - if they are rich enough to have the yearly deposit in their accounts b4 coming here, they have no business working wink They should just come here to study, including summer semesters as 2 summer school sessions equal one school year which implies they can get out of school one year earlier.

By the way, from my experience living in Georgia, I know pple who have worked (and gotten paid) outside of the school campus and took summers off atimes. Could b a difference b/w states? I dunno, just saying cool
Re: Between American And British Universities by donmayor(m): 4:53pm On Aug 12, 2006
Covenant University man grin, I think US should be better if they give you a visa
Re: Between American And British Universities by clocky(m): 3:44pm On Aug 16, 2006
Its easier to get a scholarship in america. In uk they will milk u dry wit d tution. The only advantage i see wit uk education is its close proximity to d nija sylabus and the fact that a UK degree is more recorgised in nija. but that is if u r plannin on returning to nija else i'll advice u go to america
Re: Between American And British Universities by dearie(m): 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2006
Thanx guys for your peeps! I think I can figure out the direction from your posts.

I'm appreciative!
Re: Between American And British Universities by Inyeneobon: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2006
It is good to bear in mind thatmost American unis do masters 2 years and degree 4 years while in UK it is one year masters and 3 years degree in most courses ie if you are doing full time.
So in the UK u save yourself one year compared to America,and that one one year could make a lot of difference if you wanted to earn money.
People say UK is expensive and that is true,but it becomes cheaper by the time you stay in America for 2 years.
Example u can spend 5 million naira in one year in the UK for everything from tuition to accommodation to food and clothing and transport.In the USA u can do that foir 3.5 to 4 million per year,but mulitply that by two years and you get at least 7 million which is actually more expensive than the UK's 5 million.
It depends on the course,but the UK is cheaper in the long run and the quality are basically the same b/w USA and UK,even though the UK is more conservative and therefore tends to be more disciplined than the USA.
lIKE SOME OTHER GUYS MENTIONED,working in UK is so easy.That is just the truth.
Re: Between American And British Universities by somegirl(f): 11:21am On Sep 21, 2006
I don't know much about America but in the UK as a non-EU student you may

[list]
[li]NOT study part-time[/li]
[li]NOT work more than 20 hours per week[/li]
[li]NOT be self-employed[/li]
[/list]

Here is a link for those interested in funding your studies in the UK. Universities usually also have their own scholarships, bursaries etc. Hence, it is advisable to check the website of any possible university for such information. You usually find them somewhere in the section "prospective students".

I am not sure if it is possible when you do a degree to take some time off for earning money.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk:
If you do not enter the UK with a student or prospective student visa, or you are not studying on a course at degree level course or higher, you will not be allowed to extend your stay.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&=1018721067373#Q9
Re: Between American And British Universities by awoof(m): 8:20am On Apr 28, 2007
I will rather advise you go for British univerities definetly not American unless you want one crazy son of a bitch to blow your head off with a .9mm Smith and Wesson which is easily available and affordable like "akara osu" cheesy
Re: Between American And British Universities by Zandra1(f): 3:58am On May 01, 2007
U.S is so much better. In my school u are allowed to work wherever u want whether in or out of school. No one cares since everyone is in college and have freedom of choice. U can also take summer and winter classes to easily get done earlier than ur classmates. U can also do ur prerequisites before even registering for a course in college which makes it better for someone that supports him/her self and cant go to school in the nearest future. Coming to the university that Nigerian employers would choose I think they will choose both if they have to and wont even care as far as it U.S or U.K cause both countries are highly recognized.
Re: Between American And British Universities by Zandra1(f): 4:02am On May 01, 2007
U can apply for Financial aid but that depends on some factors that u will have to check out if ure interested.
Re: Between American And British Universities by mekoyo(m): 2:10pm On May 14, 2007
Britain
Re: Between American And British Universities by PapaBrowne(m): 6:48pm On May 17, 2007
For me, the u.s is much better.Too many Nigerians already have degrees from UK universities.
Re: Between American And British Universities by DisGuy: 10:46pm On May 17, 2007
PapaBrowne:

For me, the u.s is much better.Too many Nigerians already have degrees from UK universities.

yea too many Nigerians have UK and US degrees, it seems people in US don't go home after their degree

Australian degrees are hot!!

Sir Kazeem
Re: Between American And British Universities by oludunamis(m): 3:11pm On May 25, 2007
UK
a few schs are oustanding
u can work while studying (tough though if u want excellent grades)
if u did not have 2:1 in ur bachelors, chances are slim for jobs after studying
people generally go back cos the jobs are not there and the pay is crap

US:
generally better quality of education
u cant work while in school or u risk being deported
if u studied engr, job prospects fantastic
people dont rush to go back cos pay and exposure is fantastic

canada seem to combine a little here and a little there, very cheap as wll

good luck
Re: Between American And British Universities by nosa101(f): 4:23pm On May 25, 2007
I'll be very honest, most British schools aren't on par with Yank schools. There are a few like UCL, King's or summat, SOAS, Imperial, LSE, Manchester and the proverbial oxford and cambridge and it ends there. There are more good Yank colleges than there are Brit ones. But then again it depends on your major.

FACT:American colleges own British schools in world rankings.

*University of East London and Wolverhampton are absolutely trash*
Re: Between American And British Universities by Ezinwannem: 6:02pm On May 25, 2007
both are good, matter of what you are looking for, there are alot of Nigerians in UK AND US schools, As someone mentioned earlier, Canada skools gat the both combined, just chose one and 4rom what people have said, weigh it and just chose one, good luck, If visa will be a problem, apply for both countries, whoeva gave u, u attend skool there
Re: Between American And British Universities by odogwu24: 10:48am On May 26, 2007
Hi all am new in this forum, i have always followed this site for over a year but now am taking the plunge and would do my best to be active,

Peace out

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Blast In Nigeria / Crestview Earlystart Private School, Agege-lagos / Outdoor Playground Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.