Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,342 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? (16164 Views)

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems / Gbam! - Who Invented It? / Please What Does The Yoruba Phrase "irawo E Yin Meji Papo" Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Tolu95(m): 3:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
https://m.facebook.com/mrandmisskwarainternational/photos/a.388550267976257.1073741829.387391631425454/388552774642673/?type=1&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6082302853206226667%3Amf_story_key.-3950078815429802356&__tn__=C&fbt_id=388552774642673&lul&ref_component=mbasic_photo_permalink_actionbar&_rdr#s_11b7c2365b30df90af9581ab68876f36 like dis link n be blessed
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Guidette(f): 3:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Well, I'm guess I'm too much of a New Yorker, because I hate waiting, and I'm always in a hurry. But it makes for high productivity. What could be wrong with that? On the other hand, everyone back home lives so long and is generally happier than my family in the States. So I guess that's the trade-off. Less stress.
Lol, i live in NY too. I am never late to stuff (well sometimes... but its because of those stupid buses) but I also understand the lateness culture too. Living in the Caribbean as well as Naija made me get used to it. As you said, people are so uptight over here thats why they are so grumpy. Haha
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
Guidette:

Lol, i live in NY too. I am never late to stuff (well sometimes... but its because of those stupid buses) but I also understand the lateness culture too. Living in the Caribbean as well as Naija made me get used to it. As you said, people are so uptight over here thats why they are so grumpy. Haha

LOL. That's why they say New Yorkers are unfriendly.

But really, we're just pissed because the train was late as hell...

I don't know if I could ever get used to it. I don't do well with indefinite waiting. angry
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by okotv(m): 3:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
time is an unending resource.... spend it as much as you like as long as productivity and happiness is guaranteed
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by UTEWUOJO: 3:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
Its as old as when the western wold was rulling Africa
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
okotv:
time is an unending resource.... spend it as much as you like as long as productivity and happiness is guaranteed

No it isn't.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Guidette(f): 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOL. That's why they say New Yorkers are unfriendly.

But really, we're just pissed because the train was late as hell...

I don't know if I could ever get used to it. I don't do well with indefinite waiting. angry
I try to be nice once in a while and I think it surprises people because they dont understand, hahaha. I usually dont like waiting either because I have somewhere to be always. If you think the trains are bad, you should try the buses. I just started taking a bus route and it is hell!!!! The luxury I had of walking to work everyday is gone!! cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by okotv(m): 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

No it isn't.
explain
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
okotv:
explain

You don't have endless time. You are not immortal.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by okotv(m): 3:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

You don't have endless time. You are not immortal.
well....partially true cause my soul never dies but changes location and that is the important thing.

by the way...I am time conscious...over conscious self but can't control it.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by gabazin080(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2014
ShaddyTerese:
“AFRICAN TIME”: Who invented this Phrase?

Time is defined as a period considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something.
I want to believe without any iota of doubt that at one instance or the other, you have heard someone mention this phrase “African Time”. Personally I have heard it countless times. In fact, just yesterday, someone sent me a message inviting me for a musical concert which was scheduled to hold at 2:30pm and she ended the message with “no African time please”. This; added to the countless incidences where I have heard people emphasize the No-African-time warning got me thinking: who actually invented this phrase? And why was Africa used to qualify it. Why not American time or European time?

The answer is not farfetched as you will soon find out for yourself.

Humanity; over time has been guided by principles. Principles which dictate their way of life. In fact, these principles are what set some individuals apart from other ones.

In the same vein, the “black man” over the years have often undermined the relevance of time to his own detriment. How so? Look at our technological advancement in “comparism” with the white man. Can you spot any difference? Time and its prudent management is what actually created that difference.

“You do not have all the time in the world”. Am sure you might have heard that before too. Time management whether to a white man or a black man has the same benefit or consequences when utilized or undermined respectively. For instance: waking up and refusing to go about your day’s activities will not halt time by one second, in the same vein, another person has; or thinks he has so much time in the world while another is seeking just 24 more hours to change his world. That is the value and relevance they have found in it.

It is a common scene in this part of our world that occasions scheduled for a particular time usually kick start hours after the scheduled time due to sheer negligence to time.
Our seemingly lackadaisical attitude towards time must have given the first man who took time to observe such a behavior the impression that Africans do not have regard for time yet they have no control over it. We think we should be the ones controlling it yet the opposite happens. You don’t dictate when dawn or dusk should come, when rain, or summer should set in, when to get sick or ultimately when to die. Once your time is up, you’re done. What an irony.

Who knows; maybe it has a contributing effect as to why we are still where we are economically. Maybe shouldn’t have been the world. Am sure it does have its effects as to where you are today. You either have been managing it prudently or carelessly.

I might never get to find out who qualified time this way as it affects us but I am sure to correct the notion that “all Africans have no regard for time”. Most importantly, time cannot be altered for the benefit of any individual that is why 24 hours will not fall by one second for your sake.
Those who have regard for time are always on top of their “games” (ask Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga what it means when they lose a minute of their time unaccounted for) and would not allow anyone waste their precious resource for whatever reason. After all “time is money”.

Africans who have regard for time will not wait for 10am before setting out for an event scheduled at 10am. A lecturer or office executive will not wait for 8am before heading to work. (Ignorance is what makes some people call this kind “wicked”.) So you can see that in as much as the “African time” time mentality hold meaning in some lives, it is not all inclusive and has its effects only on those who are yet to find their purpose in life because those who have done so are actively representing their works of life the best way they can.

Our prudent management of time goes a long way in determining who we are so it is high time we shake off the shackles of the presumed negligence of time so “unknown” individual melted on us and make every second of our African life count for something meaningful.
Been fulfilled or unfulfilled is determinant on how well you managed your 24hrs daily which cumulated into your entire life. Africans are hardworking and industrious. Do not ruin our reputation with your cold attitude towards time. Make it count.
k
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by iamord(m): 3:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:
Let me share with you an excerpt from an international business handbook, instructing foreigners on how to handle business in different African countries. Concept of time is highlighted. Notice the differences.

Pls what's the name of the book
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Ybholy(m): 3:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
Glo 300GB Cheat For One Year is Out Now!

Glo Unlimited November Cheat is here again. Dont miss this one out if you are still in Nigeria.

● Think of browsing TDB (Till Day Break).

● Think of chatting with her till eternity .

● Think of sending her unlimited whatsapp messages all the year round.

● What else will you think of with it :- Streaming ? Uploading Youtube Videos ? Sending Images To her ? Posting on Your Website ?
Lols !

Get The Activation Code Now - http://.com/2014/11/16/glo-300gb-cheat-one-year-now-dont-miss/
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by iamord(m): 4:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
iamord:

Thanks a lot . Lovely insights as to doing biz with different people

Sure no problem. I have loads of this kind of stuff. Rarely do I see quality threads on here pertaining to business, though.

*shrug*
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by iamord(m): 4:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Sure no problem. I have loads of this kind of stuff. Rarely do I see quality threads on here pertaining to business, though.

*shrug*
Yeah u right. Pls don't mise those resources. Create your own threads . And the sharp peepz will come in
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
iamord:

Yeah u right. Pls don't mise those resources. Create your own threads . And the sharp peepz will come in

With encouragement, I might. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
pembisco:

You see your life
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
MissMeiya:
Let me share with you an excerpt from an international business handbook, instructing foreigners on how to handle business in different African countries. Concept of time is highlighted. Notice the differences.

Thanks for this enlightening post. Sincerely grateful!

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by kmariko: 6:00pm On Nov 16, 2014
@ OP

Your writing would have been clearer if you have defined your version of "concept of time" for us.
Your writing would have been clearer if your "observation" was limited to your physical and cultural setting rather than making a generalized statement on you perceived " concept of time management" as regards black people.
Your writing would have been a little clearer if you had not made attempt to link your "concept" of time to development and economic advancement.
Your writing would have been a little clearer if you had not attempt to link time within the narrow concept of your "own" existence..

Your writing could stand on its own merit without attempting to "denegrate" the black man/woman because of "inherent" hatred for them and what they do within their cultural norms and values.

thanks and be well

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by gememerald(m): 6:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
What do you do in situations where you kept to time by being in a meeting scheduled for maybe some particular hours, but the meeting stayed more than the scheduled it was to end Do you just pack your things and leave or what??
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by simdam500(m): 7:22pm On Nov 16, 2014
lilprinze:
Most Africans never take anything serious if the time for a program is to start by 12pm about 80% of them won't start coming until 2pm.

including u and i
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by simdam500(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2014
Hakym10:
Jst like our family meetin yesterday.. Scheduled to satrt by 1 & most pple are nt evn around by 2.
Smh

Exactly. we never appreciate time.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by rahjan: 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2014
The African man has long given up the race with father clock; saying that after all man invented the clock, the clock did not invent man. Why then should the created torment the creator.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by TerryCarr(m): 9:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
it is a rip off of color people time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_People%27s_Time
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 2:11am On Nov 17, 2014
gememerald:
What do you do in situations where you kept to time by being in a meeting scheduled for maybe some particular hours, but the meeting stayed more than the scheduled it was to end Do you just pack your things and leave or what??

Probably African something too ,lmfao
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by lilo2hot(m): 7:47am On Nov 17, 2014
Ezedon:
.. we re Africans and Africans we will always be, no doubt about that. na like this we go de de unless cars begins to have WHITE TYRES
hehehehe grin
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Iamwizz(m): 7:55am On Nov 17, 2014
Visit allexclusivetinatuna..com for exclusive gossip and gists
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by holums(m): 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
African Time is a phrase or slang in Nigeria depicting lateness or time wasting...........poor time management has been part and parcel of Nigerians e.g long sermon and long church service.....sundays should be a resting day at least 4 hours is enough for church service, road transport workers are poor in time management, they waste passengers' time a lot, events and programmes in most places don't usually start on stipulated time(maybe 10a.m)it might be 12 they wil start and lastly most civil servants are fond coming late to work unlike their private counterpart that are mindful of time for fear of not loosing their job or income reduction...............I'm guilty of this at times,may God help us to be time conscious

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by NaijaOptimist: 4:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
African lateness habit led to it.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
Youngzedd:
We Africans have problem with time management and this has kept us in the current state we are, in terms of technology, we are far from the western world, and before we can reach to their current state, that will be in the next 10 decades.
ur low mentality n low self esteem as a black african will drag u more backwards in technology n all, more faster dan any bad time management in d world.. despite d thread, most of u should not come into dismembering, bastardizing n assasination of the african race as if they are d cause of ur personal problems...thereby making, demeaning n derogatory utterances against dia advancement, all in d bid of making an aimless point, solutionless statements,all in d delusion of thinkin u know d matter better or u jst want 2 smear ur opinion all ova d thread sadistically wen u ar deeply a part of the trend.....not every one practice d so called african time tin, always n all the time.. even most westerners does that...then wat wld u cal them, inspite d fact i am an advocate of punctual time keepin, i wnt find it funny dat most of u wld come here wif out regard 4 urselves as africans, leavin d topic n blasting ur own very identity n race wit such derogation, throwing all cautions into d wind...make una use una head small., talk na free , but them say na hw person take talk na im u go take no say in be mumu...remember other foreigners outside this continent myt be reading dis thread...wen it does not cut across all africans..n most westerners 2 also practice it...so we shld be more concerned abt d misplacement of priorities n complete thoughtlessness or wld u use d word ignorance n salvage barbarism of most africans...n d stupidity of a great population of dier useless leaders ova history, n most times d mentality of most part of the pple of the continent that has n is really affectin d continent 2day...n seek 4 a way of totally overhauling d mind n mentality of most members of the continent......n wyl lookin at dat u shouldnt be speakin so cruel abt a continent in which u belong, at least not in d manner u have jst did...m not an advocate of dat.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ndokwa People Of Delta: Interestd In Finding Out More of ur Background & Culture / Historical Sites In The Bende And Cross River Regions (photos) / Did West Africans Reach The New World? Afrocentric Fantasy Or A New Beginning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.