Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,862 members, 7,828,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (28234 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 05, 2014
Tried it yesterday from makurdi to calabar. But network disturb o!
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by dotunbond(m): 8:57am On Dec 05, 2014
Its only great in lagos.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 05, 2014
For sure its amazing.! I use it regularly in FCT helps me with navigation whether driving or trying to know my routes..
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 10:25am On Dec 05, 2014
saxywale:

Sygic is not free. I think I paid $30 for it but it's worth every penny. Only thing I don't like about sygic is that it doesn't call out names of roads. Still beats google as sometimes google needs postcode for accurate navigation. Google also needs internet, if one drives to a town or on road with limited internet access, then one is fc.ukd. Google as no speed limit warning, no traffic camera warning, no rail crossing warning e.t.c unlike Sygic.

$30*180=N5,400
Five thousand four hundred Naira compared to a free app! Apart from the the 100mb download!

Google can save the map for offline use at your convenience with no network. There are millions of Nigerian drivers that have never seen a rail line before not to talk of a rail crossing warning app. Road safety officers cant enforce speed limits, na Sygic go do? How many traffic cameras are in Nigeria?

If Sygic cannot tell me which road to take to avoid hold up in real-time, am not interested! If you no sabi use google na you know o!
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2014
adanny01:

$30*180=N5,400
Five thousand four hundred Naira compared to a free app! Apart from the the 100mb download!

Google can save the map for offline use at your convenience with no network. There are millions of Nigerian drivers that have never seen a rail line before not to talk of a rail crossing warning app. Road safety officers cant enforce speed limits, na Sygic go do? How many traffic cameras are in Nigeria?

If Sygic cannot tell me which road to take to avoid hold up in real-time, am not interested! If you no sabi use google na you know o!

Compared to TomTom and the likes. That is cheap.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by eherbal(m): 5:32pm On Dec 06, 2014
Lagos to enough. No wrong turns. To and fro
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Gliding(m): 5:24pm On Dec 07, 2014
saxywale:

Sygic is not free. I think I paid $30 for it but it's worth every penny. Only thing I don't like about sygic is that it doesn't call out names of roads. Still beats google as sometimes google needs postcode for accurate navigation. Google also needs internet, if one drives to a town or on road with limited internet access, then one is fc.ukd. Google as no speed limit warning, no traffic camera warning, no rail crossing warning e.t.c unlike Sygic.
Thanks. I actually have it, I was wondering if one could download it free. Mine calls out street names though. I installed it on IOS.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 13, 2014
Sygic make sence die...
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by mejai(m): 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2014
sygic all d way.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2014
mejai:
sygic all d way.
I dey tell you. I even got a cracked one... No need to worry abt it expiring... Really amazed at how many routes it can show just to get to a particular location...
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Cruisez: 11:54am On Jan 01, 2015
Enyogbe:

I dey tell you. I even got a cracked one... No need to worry abt it expiring... Really amazed at how many routes it can show just to get to a particular location...

Enyogbe how can I get the cracked version? Am driving round Europe and it's been hell without a good map. Help a brother please.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by zylla(m): 10:06pm On Jan 01, 2015
@ abatically and Enyogbe
I badly need the code for the sygic maps. You can reach me on sinmbo@gmail.com.
Thank you.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jan 02, 2015
Cruisez:

Enyogbe how can I get the cracked version? Am driving round Europe and it's been hell without a good map. Help a brother please.
honesty i cant even remember the website i got it from.. spent alot of time on google looking for 'cracked sygic for android'

but i wil try get it for you.

or can the app and the data file be sent tru a mail

probably in a zip file??
'
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Export1: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2015
Hello!

It might be useful!

Link: http://geography.answers.com/maps/google-maps-pros-and-cons

Google Maps: Pros and Cons

pros

Google Maps' great features include excellent search capabilities, ease of use, clear maps that are easy to understand, and an astonishing number of locations. Google Places allows users to look up business listings. Businesses can submit updated information to make sure that the business listings are accurate. User reviews let others know if a business is top rated and helps them make the decision to go there. 3D maps are available. It is also possible to use Google Maps to see the moon and even Mars.
cons

Google Maps sometimes does not understand when you want to see a new area or region. Typing in the city, state, or ZIP code of the locations can fix this problem, but not always. It can be tedious to try to make Google Maps understand that you want to change locations or see addresses in two different cities. Some countries are not yet available for street view. Street View works great in major cities, but it can be tedious in rural locations due to lack of well-named roads. With slower Internet connections, Street View may be impossible to use. Google Places has had many complaints about users not being able to leave feedback and businesses not being able to respond to negative feedback.
Google Maps is a comprehensive service. It is so innovative that it even has maps and information about the moon and Mars, and the NASA missions to them. Google Maps is easy to use, easy to understand, and actually makes maps fun and enjoyable. You will find yourself typing in wildly different locations to see if it can understand, and it does. Google Maps is, overall, viewed as one of the best mapping services available.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by MRLANNISTER(m): 11:43am On Jan 03, 2015
i always use my blackberry maps when i discovered that the interface of Google maps wasn't as good. Its a perfect tool. It shows me the streets' names, directions and even calls out the names before i get to the streets. It also tells me to prepare to make turns and stops ahead. Its just too wonderful. I no dey loss again any time i have issues with directions.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Cruisez: 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
Enyogbe:

honesty i cant even remember the website i got it from.. spent alot of time on google looking for 'cracked sygic for android'

but i wil try get it for you.

or can the app and the data file be sent tru a mail

probably in a zip file??
'
Thanks. Email to wisedman10@yahoo.com
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by olamega(m): 10:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
I think you guys need to understand that we are in Nigeria. So no matter how good Google map and others seem to be, the best one for us is the Nokia Map, or as we have it now the Here Map. It is the only map that you can successfully download on your device and use it anytime anywhere without needing to go online, it gives you full navigation support, unlike someone said that he/she lost attention and almost hit a car, that will hardly happen with me because the voice nav on my nokia/here map is enough to direct you, you hear things like : "take the 2nd exit at the next roundabout", after 150 meters take a right turn to Ahmadu Bello way, etc.
I have google map on my android and HereMap on my Nokia Lumia, but for convenience i use the nokia more. it is so sweet that you can just look for an address online, copy it and paste in the map, then Bingo! you're good to go.
Another advantage is that if you go somewhere you've never been before all you need to do is to save the location and name it as you like, and you don't have to ask anybody for direction when next you are going there, cos from anywhere you are in the world you can locate the place . It makes me feel like a King of the road whenever I'm going to an unknown place, esp with friends.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by abatically(m): 12:26am On Jan 04, 2015
olamega:
I think you guys need to understand that we are in Nigeria. So no matter how good Google map and others seem to be, the best one for us is the Nokia Map, or as we have it now the Here Map. It is the only map that you can successfully download on your device and use it anytime anywhere without needing to go online, it gives you full navigation support, unlike someone said that he/she lost attention and almost hit a car, that will hardly happen with me because the voice nav on my nokia/here map is enough to direct you, you hear things like : "take the 2nd exit at the next roundabout", after 150 meters take a right turn to Ahmadu Bello way, etc.
I have google map on my android and HereMap on my Nokia Lumia, but for convenience i use the nokia more. it is so sweet that you can just look for an address online, copy it and paste in the map, then Bingo! you're good to go.
Another advantage is that if you go somewhere you've never been before all you need to do is to save the location and name it as you like, and you don't have to ask anybody for direction when next you are going there, cos from anywhere you are in the world you can locate the place . It makes me feel like a King of the road whenever I'm going to an unknown place, esp with friends.

Here maps is great, but u can't really judge if u haven't used others. I have here maps on my Nokia lumia, works great. I also have google maps and sygic on my android and I can tell u nothing beats sygic when it comes to navigation. You don't need internet connection at all. Where here maps fail is lack of POI's, like if u are trying to locate a particular hostpital, just type the name and sygic will direct u to the closest one based on ur location without needing internet connection.

U are saying here maps has voice navigation, my friend voice navigation is standard on every GPS, google and sygic has voice navigation that even calls street names. Sygic will give u alternative routes which here and google doesn't have.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by olamega(m): 8:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
abatically:

Here maps is great, but u can't really judge if u haven't used others. I have here maps on my Nokia lumia, works great. I also have google maps and sygic on my android and I can tell u nothing beats sygic when it comes to navigation. You don't need internet connection at all. Where here maps fail is lack of POI's, like if u are trying to locate a particular hostpital, just type the name and sygic will direct u to the closest one based on ur location without needing internet connection.
U are saying here maps has voice navigation, my friend voice navigation is standard on every GPS, google and sygic has voice navigation that even calls street names. Sygic will give u alternative routes which here and google doesn't have.
I've not use sygic, but i'm well conversant with goolgemap. You said voice nav is standard, yes, but the limtation with google is that you must have internet.
about alternative routes, i think you need to be more conversant with the settings on ur heremap, because it is one of the things i enjoy most.
now another interesting thing about heremap is that if you dont know a place and you've never been there before, i only need to send the location to you, then you just open it on ur nokia phone and that's all. Let me give you two practical examples from my experience, the first time i entered kano, years back, i didn't know my way around, but a friend sent me locations from his nokia phone which i saved and i move around with confidence like i've been there for years. secondly, i wanted to travel to Dubai last year and i didnt want to have problem finding my way around, all i did was to download the map before leaving nigeria, and when i got there with my friends i became like a "superstar" . cos i was the one showing them ways, without stress.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by nurey(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2015
olamega:

I've not use sygic, but i'm well conversant with goolgemap. You said voice nav is standard, yes, but the limtation with google is that you must have internet.
about alternative routes, i think you need to be more conversant with the settings on ur heremap, because it is one of the things i enjoy most.
now another interesting thing about heremap is that if you dont know a place and you've never been there before, i only need to send the location to you, then you just open it on ur nokia phone and that's all. Let me give you two practical examples from my experience, the first time i entered kano, years back, i didn't know my way around, but a friend sent me locations from his nokia phone which i saved and i move around with confidence like i've been there for years. secondly, i wanted to travel to Dubai last year and i didnt want to have problem finding my way around, all i did was to download the map before leaving nigeria, and when i got there with my friends i became like a "superstar" . cos i was the one showing them ways, without stress.

My brother sygic is better than that nokia maps whether for here or there I have used maps on all this OS
Windows phone (sagem s7)
Treo os (treo 650)
Symbian (nokia E63, E52, E71, N97)
Blackberry (curve7, bold 2 and 4, Q5 and 10)
Nokia lumia phone (630 and 10xx)
Android
Meego (Nokia N900)

The google maps was beaten because it cannot be used offline but with internet my guy forget google map na king I have used maps on all this phones which can categorically represent their OS after sygic, nokia maps comes second because on ny nokia N97 I was also able to use it offline but no POI.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2015
abatically:

Team sygic offline navigation map. cool
Thanks a lot for your immense assistance bro!

Oga pls shoot me an email.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 08, 2015
lomomike:

Team sygic offline navigation map. cool
Thanks a lot for your immense assistance bro!

Oga pls shoot me an email.

Team sygic all the way. Very light sef. Offline maps.. That Nokia here maps Ehn the size nah die. I dey gbadun the HUD feature in the car at night... Simply place the phone on the dash board close to the windscreen. There... No need to even hold your phone while drivung sef...
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by olamega(m): 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2015
I finally draw my conclusion over the unreliability of the so-called google map today, i needed to go somewhere and i activated the direction on both devices at once, I mean HEREMAP on my Lumia 920 and GOOGLE MAP-Sony Xperia C. But i decided to follow the google map and to my dismay, the google map got me lost somewhere, i had to retrace my step using the Lumia, and this is the second time this has happened, making me waste time and fuel. I almost got late for the meeting.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by kablooee: 9:48am On Mar 17, 2015
I contribute locally to Google maps. I use sygic on my HTC m8 and Google on my tab. Don't have much time now to give pros n cons of both but at the moment, in Nigeria, Google map is way ahead of sygic. Sygic is improving but they need more local data and probably local offices here for data collection.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by Justicefero: 12:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
I tried using sygic map but it can't identify were I was and at a moment it seems am lost but Google map is so accurate clean and clear I think it's the best
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by babafunny(m): 7:44pm On Dec 18, 2015
Google maps is the best navigation tool by Google, it give you safe navigation to that new route of yours. Take a bold step to that city using maps.google... for more details, follow the link below
http://www.techvaid.com/google-maps-google-maps-directions-maps-google/
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by doofanc: 4:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
I've used both heremaps and Google maps, and while I agree both are excellent - and free! - apps, Nokia's version is certainly the best.

I really been misled by Google maps on a number of occasions. Heremaps, on the other hand, is yet to fail me. It's precision is simply outstanding, almost magical. Even in rural areas heremap was able to give exact location of my vehicle and real time direction to my destination.

The only slight advantage I can see with Googlemaps is its ability to locate joints, hotel, complete with the name and even phone number.

If one has two phones and going to unfamiliar territory, it's a good idea to have both maps as a guide

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by doofanc: 4:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
Hmm I'm see it the sygic for the first time. Looked it up at Google play and reviews seemed okay. I'll give it a try.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by kingreign(m): 6:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
I used sygic map when travelling from Abuja to Umuahia, its epic, all i needed to do was type in the name of the destination and it responded well.
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by babafunny(m): 7:06am On Dec 23, 2015
Yahoo maps, an online and app map place, a global free mapping service point from the giant Yahoo – designed to help you find your route with ease, provides for more details, follow the link below
http://www.techvaid.com/yahoo-maps-yahoo-maps-driving-directions-maps-and-directions-site/
Re: Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? by zsch: 9:56pm On Dec 25, 2015
I use here map on my android. I've downloaded the entire map of Nigeria thus I can use map offline with voice navigation. Very useful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels / NPF Warning: Never Tow Your Keke NAPEP This Way / 14 Companies That Control The Auto Industry (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.