Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail (46199 Views)

Thorns Part 1 / Travail Of Agent Davis / BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Donpoker9(m): 5:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
? angrymy man y u no wan update na??
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Barbienice(f): 4:19pm On Feb 25, 2015
Nice work.More MB to your phone.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 5:15am On Feb 26, 2015
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Things happened so fast at the Station; immediately we stepped to the front of the Counter inside the Police Station, I received a blinding slap from behind; I screamed and held my ears as I heard Saka screamed too. I received blows and kicks from at every part of my body, I fell down and struggled to run out of the station but I was blocked somehow, the more I tried to get up and run, the more the barrage of beatings I received so I laid down and stopped resisting, I simply blocked my face with my hands.

After about thirty minutes of torturing us, we were stripped of our Clothes and dumped into a Cubicle, a four by four feet squared room with no ventilation, no lamination. I swore under my breath to kill these men if when I get out of this mess, for I was convinced there were not kidnappers, they are legal Police men carrying out an illegal duty, I was also sure they had picked us by mistake, they must think we are some persons on their wanted list. I was wrong.

We were locked up for two days without food or water, no one opened the door to the Cubicle we were locked in, I was beginning to get real scared on the third day before we were brought out of the Cell , our hands cuffed and led to an Office with the inscription “D.P.O” on the door.

They pushed us to the front of a huge well polished sparkling Mahogany Desk and behind the Desk sat a Monstrous looking Man with Nose like that of a Hippopotamus, his nose is so wide that you could see the redness of the Cartilage inside the nose, his Lips were large and dropping exposing teeth tanned with Kola nut, his eyes were bulging and glossy, he was sweating even though the noisy air condition in the Office was on. I instinctively knew we were before the Devil! His stomach had stretched his uniform to the maximum elasticity limit that two buttons had cut off exposing his black Singlet, as he opened his mouth to speak I noticed he had blackish tongue instead of red, where in hell did this creature come from? I pondered even in my pain.

Look at them! Are they the ones? He asked, directing his question to an elderly Woman and a young Lady sitting opposite him and directly in front of us.
The Ladies turned back and stared in front of us, we were wearing only Boxers with bruises all over. Even my Mother could not have recognized me because Saka’s face was like Amoeba that I almost laugh when I looked at his face in the D.P.O’s office but I restrained myself so the Monster does not think I was laughing at him.

I looked at the Ladies as they looked us over, I had not seen their faces before and I was sure they j have not seen me before too, I was almost sure the Police had picked us by mistake.

Na them? theD.P.O barked again

No be them! The young Lady replied.

Are you sure? Monster barked again

No be them rape me sir! She relied, the men wey rape me big well well, them huge pass these ones.

The older woman interjected and said; D.P.O, I want justice in this case o! Please don’t allow my husband to die in vain o! These men are part of the gang! How else could you explain the fact that the car was found with them? They may not be the ones that raped her but they are involved somehow! They robbed me of all my money and jewelries! They collected two million naira cash from my husband! They gang rapped my daughter, and then they shot my husband in the head and went away with my Car! Ha! D.P.O! This wickedness must not go unpunished o! The woman started to cry and the D.P.O was consoling her.

My whole system failed me, my stomach rumbled violently as my bowels gave way immediately, my large intestine gave out its contents as I defecated and urinated on the spot, I heard Saka mumbling some words in Arabic of some sort. The reality of our situation just dawned on me.

Na wetin dey smell here? Monster shouted; na who mess? He queried.

One of the armed Robbers don shit for body! See as shit they drop from him pant! The older Woman offered.

Constable! Constable! Monster shouted, banging his fist on the desk.
Sir! I heard someone shouted from outside. My head became giddy, I felt a sudden lightness and my limbs gave way, I slumped and passed out.

CHAPTER 7

We were told to write our statements after spending eight days at the Police station, it was an unlawful detention, nobody knew we were there and we could have died of starvation or brutality, the Police men were very mean and we had learnt not to provoke them, we never mentioned the fact that we were Soldiers any more as that normally enraged them.

We were eventually allowed to wash our bodies on the eight day and our dirty uniforms were given to us to wear, then we were driven in a 504 station Wagon to Enugu, 82 division military Police in hand and leg Cuffs.

After one hour interrogation by the military Police, Saka was released. He kept shouting Allah Akbar! As he left the Station for his house without even talking to me. A Military Police Sergeant entered the Station Wagon and we drove to my unit to meet my Commander; I wished for the earth to open its mouth and swallow me as I was pulled out of the Police Van when it parked outside my Commander’s Office. My Colleagues immediately surrounded us and every one was asking questions, wetin happen? Ojo wetin you do? I was just crying as I was pulled along by the Military Police. This small Boys of nowadays! Them no dey hear word, this boy na bad boy and I don dey suspect an since wey he buy that Car! I heard our sergeant Korofo said as we entered the C.O’s secretary’s Office.

The Secretary was shocked to see me in such a state; Ojo! He called; na wetin be this? Na wetin you do? He asked.

Oga na long story o! I said; I don buy Motor buy trouble o! them say na stolen car buy!

Ha! He shouted and immediately closed his mouth with his hands .

The C.O is expecting us! The M.P said.

Yes I know, you can go inside! The secretary said.

The M.P and the Police came to attention in front of the C.O. I was at ease because I was in Cuffs, I bent my head in shame, I could not meet the curious gaze from my Boss.

Sir! This Soldier is needed by the Police in furtherance of an investigation of Armed robbery, rape and homicide committed at Asaba two months ago sir! The M.P said.

How is he connected? C.O asked.

The Car of the Victim was found with him and another of your Soldier Saka saliu but after interrogation we found out that the Saka was innocent and he has been released some moments ago.

Which Saka? My Saka? C.O asked.

Yes Sir! He is a Signal Man! But he is clean, he was just driving in the same Car with the Culprit when they were apprehended, the M.P said.

Where did the Robbery take place? C.O asked; did you not say Asaba?

Yes sir! The Police man answered.

So if I steal a Car in Asaba, I will be so daft as to drive the same car through Asaba to Agbor? Ehn Police man! The C.O asked

Well sir, it is very possible Sir! Considering the facts that they were wearing Army Uniforms! No one would stop them naturally; the Police man said.

Okay, I see your point! So what is the next step now? C.O asked

I have a letter from the A.I.G to the G.O.C for his temporary release to us as the case is already charged to Court. The Man they killed and robbed his Family was a senior Citizen in Asaba! Your Soldier is the first and only link we have on the case; he will lead us into catching up with other members of his gang. The Police said.

It is like you have tagged him guilty already, Mr. Police! C.O said

No sir! He replied.

My C.O looked at me with pity; Ojo! He called; see what you have gotten into now? How did you come about the stolen Car? He asked

Oga! I said; after they paid us our outstanding depot allowance and our salaries in arrears, Mr. Chike the Spare parts dealer helped me to buy the car.

The same Chike, our supplier? C.O asked

Yes sir! I said

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Slimzjoe(m): 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2015
Barbienice:
Nice work.More MB to your phone.

Babe, Your Tattoos Gat Me High oooo!!! wink

Is Vhat Chinese ?? shocked
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Barbienice(f): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Babe, Your Tattoos Gat Me High oooo!!! wink

Is Vhat Chinese ?? shocked
Lol your eyes sabi look oo!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Slimzjoe(m): 7:27pm On Mar 01, 2015
Barbienice:
Lol your eyes sabi look oo!

Lol

Na Talent wink

Buh iz dah Chinese??
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by rondo235: 7:47am On Mar 04, 2015
Abeg where dis tory teller dey?
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2015
So where is the Chike now? C.O asked no one in particular

The Police replied: the so called Chike is a Criminal! He gave him a fake receipt of purchase bearing a non existing Lagos address and now he is nowhere to be found, when we went searching for him last week he was nowhere to be found and there are several People bearing the name Chike in the Spare parts market and this your Soldier does not even know the Shop of the so called Chike as he claimed not to have been there before.

Oh gosh! Oh gosh! Nigeria Police! C.O exclaimed. This Chike you are talking about may be in this barrack as I speak with you! He is well known here! And for the fact that you have brought this Man here in chains, and it is known that he bought a stolen Car, then believe you me, Chike has heard of it! And of course he would escape. You People should have come here secretly and together we could have laid ambush and caught this Guy unaware, we could have told him to supply us anything and we catch him upon delivery. Well this is not the first time we are experiencing such situation in the Barracks: I will send your letter to the G.O.C, where is the acknowledgement copy let me sign for you?
The Police man handed over the sealed letter and the acknowledgement copy to the C.O who endorsed his signature and returned the signed copy to the Police man.
I hope you guys get to the root of this matter quickly so that this young Man can return to duty, he is a young Man just starting life in the Army: have you contacted his Bankers to check the last transactions he made? The C.O asked.

No sir! I don’t think so sir! The Police replied.

Then do so! That will help in your investigation: are you the O.I.C of the case?

Yes sir! I am the Officer in charge sir! The Police replied.

Please do your best and don’t let my Boy suffer in vain or unjustly.

Okay sir! I will do my best sir! The Police said.

So you can take him away! Ojo! I wish you the best! My C.O said with finality.

I sat on the floor of the C.O’s Office and wept bitterly, I pleaded with him not to allow the Police take me away, but he ignored me as the Police and M.P dragged me out of the C.O’s Office.

A crowd had gathered in front of the C.O’s Office, I was pushed into the trunk of the Wagon and the door booth slammed shut, I poked my head out from the window and called out to the Soldiers watching us not to allow Mr. Chike to escape and allow me to suffer unjustly, I reminded them that it was the lump sum paid to me that I used to buy the Car, I reminded all that cared to listen that private Samuel Yoguda and Private Onoja Samuel are my Colleagues and these two bought Cars too. Make una no allow me to suffer for nothing I yelled in tears as the car screeched and zoomed away

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
Ahhh too short embarassed
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:50am On Mar 05, 2015
CHAPTER 8

I was summoned by the D.P.O after three days on return from the Military Barracks in Enugu, I was wearing only Boxers. I stood before him trembling out of cold and fear of the unknown; I had slept on bare floor without any covering all night.
Soldier man! Are you ready to confess now? He bellowed

Sir! I have told you the whole truth! God is my witness; I said

Hmm, my friend, if you know the gravity of your offence, you would say the truth! Say the truth now so that I can help you now that you are still here, the earlier you did that, the better for all of us! He said.

Oga! Do you want me to implicate myself? I asked

Are you not implicated already! He shouted; look at this mumu o! You claimed you bought a stolen car! Is that not implicating already.

Okay sir! But what about the Man that sold the Car to me? Have you gotten him? He is the best place to help with your investigation! I am just a victim of circumstance! Oga please help me I beg you! I pleaded.

Look! Soldier boy; heaven help those who help themselves, he said; the so called Mr. Chike has run away! His Shop is closed down and empty and none of the traders are willing to disclose his where- about to the Police. We went to his house and the Land lord said he had relocated to an unknown destination! So do you want us to do? To perform magic?

Jesu Christi o! I shouted; I am done for! Oga I am dead! The only link to my freedom has run away and the Police cannot do anything about it! Ha! Oga what becomes of me sir?

You are the only Suspect available, and most likely you will bear the consequence of your crime! He said firmly.

My crime? What crime did I commit? I did not steal the Car; I did not rob or kill anybody! Oga I am not a criminal o! Please save me; I pleaded.

Buying a stolen Car is a crime in Nigeria, you are as guilty as the thief himself, even if we apprehend Chike now, you still have a case to answer because you should have investigated the source of the car you were buying, if it was a Tokunbo car you would see the Papers, if it was second hand, then you would request to see the real owner and get a transfer of ownership letter from him! You did not do either of these, because you wear Army uniform you think you are above the law! He explained.

But Oga I never knew it was a stolen Car! I never knew! I pleaded.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse Soldier Boy! You should have investigated the source of the Car! Perhaps if you had tried registering the Car, you would have been told of the necessary documents to get especially the transfer of ownership letter, but you never did! You think you are above the law! He repeated.

A green fly buzzed in and perched on rim of the glass of water on his table, this irritated him and he stared at the fly with obvious anger, then he looked at me; did you shit on your body again? He asked.

No sir! I replied.

Did you mess? He asked.

No sir! I did not fart sir!

He slapped the fly but it flew away, monster had put his weight in the slap and the table was pushed backwards spilling the contents on it to the floor.

I hate flies! I hate flies! Especially these green ones! Or has a Rat died here again? Constable! He shouted.

A young Police Boy ran into the Office.

Get a long broom quickly! Monster commanded.

The Boy dashed out of the Office.

Monster took a newspaper from the documents that fell on the floor, he folded it into half and he began to chase the green fly about the Office.
I will kill you today! He swore under his breath as he bounced after the terrified fly, his belly drooping over his trouser as he moved, he smashed at the fly but missed again and again. The fly always moved before his thrusts get to if, he was sloppy and sluggish and this infuriated him the more.

The young Police lad came with a broom.

Kill it! Monster commanded; it must not escape o! This is not an ordinary fly o! This fly was sent from my Village! They sent it to come and poison me! It was trying to poison my drink again! Soldier boy! Did you not see that fly trying to shit something inside my cup of water? He asked.

I saw it sir! I saw it! I said.

The young Police killed the fly with one swift swoop.

Pick it up! Go and burn it! Burn it o! He warned. Enemies! They cannot get me! I will kill them all one by one! If they like let them come at me in the form of Tortoise! Or Cockroach! Old boy! Come and clean up this Office he said to the Police Lad as he went to cremate the fly. Also call me the O.C of this Soldiers case!

Yes sir! The Police lad replied as he closed the door.

Soldier Boy! He continued with me, as he dabbed his face with a dirty hand towel, he was sweating from the activity he just indulged in; he was panting and trying to catch his breath.

The family you robbed has taken the case to the Court already so you should be ready for a long legal battle. The Konwea family is a very powerful one in Asaba so you will need a very good lawyer! He said.

Oga! Where do I get a lawyer from? Where is the money? I asked

You no get family? He asked

I only have a Mother that is as poor as a Church rat! Sir, I was on my way to the Village to rescue my mother from the clutches of servitude that has held her since I was born by bringing her to stay with me in Enugu! I have even rented a Shop for her. Oga I did not know my Father! In fact my story is not a good one, all I have in this world is my mother!

What of extended family members? He asked

I simply shook my head and heaved a sad sigh. How do I explain to him that my extended family is as good as not existing, do I call on my Mother’s family? They had cut us off as lepers. My Father’s family is more wretched than me and my Mum, a family of drunks and loafers! Indeed I am an unfortunate Child in an unfortunate situation.

On the other hand, he said; the state can provide you with a lawyer, but they will need money from you so try to contact your people.

Another green fly flew into the Office and perched at the same spot the first fly perched.

Another one! Monster shouted; his eyes shot out as if to leave their sockets, he stepped backwards from the table. Soldier boy! Can you see it? That fly did not die o! It has come back!

Just then, the Constable entered the office with a dirt packer, a mop stick and a broom.

Constable! Did you burn that fly you killed here just now? Monster asked

No sir! I could not get matches so I simply threw it away

You threw what away? Did I tell you to throw it away? Did you think that was a common fly? Simple instruction you cannot follow. Look! Look! The fly is back to the same spot it came before! Monster was visibly agitated and scared.

The Constable once again killed the fly with a single swoop of the broom , as the dead fly fell to the ground, monster stepped on it and crushed it into shreds while swearing and cursing.

Oga I think a rat might have died in this office, the young constable said; I can perceive the smell of something decaying. He went to the edge of the Office and shifted a Cabinet from the wall, there; he saw a decaying rat filled with maggots.

Here it is sir! Constable said: it is a dead rat!

Oh! So na common rat? Monster asked laughing out loud.

The O.C of the case came in.

Sergeant Godwin, take your man back to his cell and prepare him for Court next tomorrow, he would need a state lawyer and he would need new clothes, he cannot go to a civil court in his Army uniform, get any of the condemned criminals clothes for him to wear.
Sergeant Godwin ushered back to my cell. That was the beginning of my long journey in incarceration.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Slimzjoe(m): 9:03am On Mar 05, 2015
Konwea Family Of Asaba ?? Op I Will sue You!!
Who Told You Chief Konwea Was Killed By Thieves?? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 10:55am On Mar 05, 2015
Slimzjoe:
Konwea Family Of Asaba ?? Op I Will sue You!!
Who Told You Chief Konwea Was Killed By Thieves?? undecided
is that like a real family that resides at Asaba? @op well done

2 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Anas09: 12:55am On Mar 06, 2015
My God! A poor young man whom life has just smiled at. God will see u tru. Still following

2 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 7:14pm On Mar 07, 2015
CHAPTER 9

It is over two months and not a single person had come to visit me at the police station in Agbor. My mother must be worried sick. I had informed her that I would be back in July but this is October.

The first Visitor I had was a Lawyer that came to me a day before I was taken to court for the first trial, after hearing my story he began to discuss his fees, he further said he hired the commercial motor cyclist that brought him to the station, the Rider is on standby and he will need me to settle the bills, he further said I would pay three thousand naira for every court appearance excluding sundries fees. He was furious when I told him I had no kobo on me, he left cursing me. No Lawyer came to represent me the next day at court and the case was postponed to January 15th 1992. I spent Christmas and New Year festivals inside the Police cell. Some church people visited the detention centre on Christmas day and gave us good food and drinks, I was getting used to my new way of life, so I ate and drank to my fill, who knows when I would eat something good again.

Sergeant Godwin was keen on closing my case speedily so that he could move on to other issues in his life. He invited several lawyers to take up my case but they were all hungry “charge and bail” lawyers that hang around court premises looking for documents to endorse for stipends, these Lawyers made me to wonder if they really went to school and graduated as Lawyers! I used to revere Lawyers until I came across these bunch. One of the Lawyers told me that his monthly salary was less than one thousand five hundred naira in 1991, he regularly needs extra income to augment the numerous expenses he incurs as a result of trying to meet up with his social status, “a Barrister at Law”.

I remember a certain lawyer that came to discuss with me and I saw two bed bugs crawling up the collar of his Coat, whenever I remember that scene I laugh because the Coat was not on the man, rather the man was inside the Coat, I guessed he borrowed it from someone twice his size, the man was scraggy, he was begging me for money for pure water when he realized that what I needed was a philanthropic lawyer.

The truth is that I had some money in my account but I was far away from home, my cheque book was in Enugu and I did not even know if my house had been re allocated, I had no idea of anything happening in the outside world, whenever I tell all the lawyers about my money in the bank, their eyes become green, but when I tell them about the inaccessibility of the money, their eyes turn red and they leave me in anger.
Sergeant Godwin had to close my case either by ensuring I go to Prison or I am released; the later seemed impossible though and I was not surprised when he came around after our court session on the 15th January dancing and humming to himself along the corridor of our Cells. Because of insufficient evidence on my side to vindicate me, and because of insufficient evidence on the side of the police to convict me for armed robbery, I was put on awaiting trial list and transferred to Abakaliki Prisons while the Police continued with investigation.

My O.C told me it was better for me to be on A.T.L Awaiting trial list than to be sentenced to death for armed robbery, one thing he did not tell me was that many people are on awaiting trial and have been there for ages while many had died while waiting for their freedom.

I was not able to send message home to my Mother or Baba Miko, my only friend Saka did not show up at all, I did not blame him though after all I almost implicated him. No further information about Mr. Chike so everything about the case revolved around me alone. The Konwea family were happy when they were told by Sergeant Godwin that I had been sentenced to life jail at Abakaliki Prison. The madam came to my cell that evening and rained curses on me and my generations. I was just laughing because ‘he that is down fears no fall’, my family had been cursed right from the origin of my being so she did not need to waste her energy on cursing me, so she kept cursing as I kept laughing; she said it would have been better for me to be shot or sent to the hangman than the life sentence I got. The Police did not tell her that I was on A.T.L, they too wanted to be free from the Konwea family pressure to get justice for their dead father. When the Madam left my Cell that night, it then dawned on me that I was in trouble.

I recounted the pain I suffered at the depot, I recounted the honour I got from the Village when I returned from depot, and I recalled the honour I got from Soldiers and Officers during the G.O.C Cup competition, then I realized that the world had not been fair to me and my Mother, whatever Curse my grandfather had placed on my Parents should not be upon me because I did not choose to be the offspring of their union. If I had remained in the Village as a Brick layer I would not be here today, if I had not planned to help remove my mother from suffering perhaps I would not be here today. The bitter truth is that if my mother had not fallen foolishly in love with a drunkard to incur her Fathers wrath I would not be here today! I hated every being that was part of my existence that night. I cried, I screamed, I fought with everyone in the cell that night and consequently I got the beating of my life which left me bruised and fagged out and I fell asleep.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2015
Oh pls God vindicate this poor fellow.....well done Doma

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Costlybabe: 5:06pm On Mar 08, 2015
Oh my God!!!!have mercy,doma wonderful write up you have here

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by wasak(m): 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2015
this is just beautiful

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 1:40pm On Mar 09, 2015
I've started reading the story but haven't finished yet. Just thought it wise to drop by and let you know how nice it is, judging from what I've read so far. Thumbs up!

2 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Anas09: 10:37pm On Mar 09, 2015
You succeeded in bringing tears to my eyes. Trials breeds patience and patience perfection. He won't die, u'll see. Following.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 3:16pm On Mar 10, 2015
CHAPTER 10

They called it “Correction Centre” but it is actually a “Corruption centre”. I can authoritatively say that Prison administration in Nigeria is far from being a corrective institution. It is a den where greedy, demented and desperate men in uniform take advantage of helpless men that are under lock and key. I pray for you today as you read my story that you and your loved ones shall never be inmate to any prison anywhere. In prison, you are reduced to less than a human being! You have no rights, no privileges! You are at the mercy of the Warders. To survive in Prison, you have got to have strong outside connections. People die daily that we got tired of crying when anyone died.

Corruption starts from the entrance gate! It is all about money. Sometimes I wonder if these Warders do not receive salaries, or maybe all our Para-military services in Nigeria are just there to extort and exploit the helpless Civilians. The Warders will do anything for money! I cannot list all of the atrocities that go on in the Prison because it comes in varied forms; all you need to keep a Warder under your control is to buy him or her.

After spending six months at the Abakaliki Prison without a single Court appearance, I then understood why some of us had been there for years praying and waiting for Gods intervention. There were professionals of various fields convicted for varying offences in Prison. Fraudulent Bankers, negligent and fake Doctors, indicted Police and Military Officers, Advance fee fraudsters, Armed Robbers, Rapist, prostitutes that murdered, drug traffickers and politicians.

The list is endless. But in prison, we are all reduced to the same. We are all criminals according to the warders, either convicted or awaiting trial. Sometimes a convicted fellow brought to prison would serve his term and gain freedom while you are still on trial for an offence committed before the convicted fellow went to jail. Justice is severally delayed in Nigeria which always leads to justice denial.

I once called one of the Warders called “inside inside” he was called “inside” because he usually commands that an stubborn inmate or a new inmate be sent into the innermost cell, put am inside! Inside! He would command and that earned him the nick name “inside”.

Oga inside I beg I want to talk to you: I had requested one night when he was inspecting the sleeping inmates in their Cells.

Na wetin? He retorted

Oga! I beg na wetin be my fate now? I don dey here for six months now and nothing don happen! Not even a Court appearance! Abi una want make I die here? How someone go dey for ATL for six months without trial? I enquired.

Listen Yoruba man! He said: na only six months you don spend here and you dey hala! You no dey ask your fellow criminals how long them don stay here? Or you no meet many of them for here? Ehn? Answer me!

But Oga Inside! Is it fair? I asked; how una go just abandon us here like that without any hearing for Court?

Na me bring you here? He challenged; you dey craze? See as you dey talk to me sef! See me see trouble with this stupid and criminal Yoruba Soldier o! Na me send you to go commit? In short why I dey waste my time dey talk to you sef? Ngwa! Go back to sleep, go inside! Inside! He began to hit the metal gates with his Baton furiously that other Prisoners woke up and started shouting at him to stop disturbing their sleep, I hurriedly laid down and pretended to be asleep while Oga Inside was still exchanging words with inmates hurling insults at him.
An inmate of mine, a former Banker told me that one really needs money to get anything he wants from inside the prison. I did not believe him at first until after I had spent one year.

February 1993, I was told by Oga Inside that my case will be heard in Court in two days. He told me to better be ready and I said I would. I did not understand.

I told my fellow inmates the good news and they were happy for me, our mindset in ATL was that it is better to die than anticipating death. So going to Court was a step in the right direction, at least I have been made to know that I cannot get a death sentence as the evidences against me were not substantive to nail my coffin. I would get a sentence for purchase of stolen property and the term would run concurrently.

Oga Inside and another Warder came to pick me up on the D day, along the Corridor of the Prison, Oga Inside asked me to settle him before we get to the waiting black Maria that would take us to Court. I told him I did not have money.

But you tell me say you go dey ready nah! He said

I no sabi say na money you day talk about nah! I think say you dey advise me to get ready for the Court appearance; I replied.

Advise you? I be your lawyer? Okay o! no wahala! You think say you get sense no be so? He asked

Oga Inside! I no understand you o! I don dey here for one year now, you don see me with money before? Even if I borrow, how I go take pay back? I asked him.

No worry nah! Yoruba People too dey claim like say na them sabi book pass everybody! Go come! I dey wait for you here! Agaracha must come back! He walked out on me and the other Warder.

On our way to the Court, the Warders collected money from every inmate in the Van; I did not have a dime so I was instantly blacklisted but I begged them and promised to make it up to them, how? I did not know.

You think the Government care about the Prison service? How do you think we fuel this Motor carrying you to the Court? Look let me tell you, you better change o, else you will rot here, one of the Armed Warder told me; let me tell you, he continued; call on anyone you know, any relative at all to help you get money! Without money, you will die in here! Money makes things happen here!

When we encountered traffic hold up along the way, we looked through the window of the Van and called out to Passersby for alms which many gave to us by sliding naira notes through the window, a certain woman ran after the van banging at the door, one of the Armed Guards opened the door to ask her what her problem was, having surveyed to see that she was alone, she threw in a wad of naira notes on the floor of the Van and stopped running after us. The monies collected were countered and shared amongst everybody including me even though I got the least amount. I tucked the money in my anus. Yes that was the only purse we kept our money.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....................................................................

Our files were brought up before the presiding Judge and one after the other we were called up for hearing except for me. I was the last person on the pew when the Judge looked up and asked for any pending file when she realized that no other file was presented to her and I was yet to be attended to.

Where is the case file of that young Man? She had asked the Court Clerk

The Clerk hurriedly left the Court and reappeared after ten minutes with my file.

My case was read but there was no defense Lawyer representing me, no witnesses were present, Sergeant Godwin was not present. Only the state prosecuting Lawyer was present so my case was postponed to April 8th 1993 while two of us were discharged and acquitted.
As we were being driven back to the Prison, I was told by fellow inmates that I should have been prepared, I should have discussed with my Lawyer before the day of the hearing, my lawyer would have being in Court to ensure my case file was brought up for hearing; all in all, it boils down to the importance of one major factor, money!

The Driver veered off the road to the back of a petrol Station along Ogoja road and parked, I knew they were up to something and I was curious. Five minutes later there was a whistle signal and two of the inmates removed their Prison Uniforms and gave them to the Warder, the back door of the Van opened and two young Lads entered, they pulled off their Clothes and gave to the two inmates who wore the clothes hurriedly and went out of the van while the new strangers were given the Prisoners Uniforms to wear, the Warder told them their names and was giving them a brief induction when the signal whistle went off again.

I peeked through the Window to see a sleek black car parking by our Van, the back door opened again and a Politician inmate went out and entered the Car, we waited for Fifteen minutes before he entered with a travelling bag, he thanked the Warders and gave each a fat envelope and he shared money to all the inmates in the Van. I was wowed but I was happy.

We stopped at a Market along Afikpo road and the Van parked again and one of the Warders asked if we want to buy anything, we all gave him money and he listed our demands on a piece of Paper, I requested for Garri and Groundnut. He was gone for an hour only to return with a “Ghana must Go” bag full of our supplies. When we got to the Prison, we had to settle all the Warders from the entrance gate to our Cell gate; they already knew we would return with goodies especially as the Politician had gone with us.

Having settled all parties, my bag of Garri of about fifty kilogram was brought into my Cell by Oga Inside at night, he told me to keep it covered with my Blanket. That was the first ray of light in my darkness.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 5:11pm On Mar 10, 2015
@op well done. Keep up the good work.

For every person reading and enjoying this story, don't forget op is up for nomination for the best new comer for the month of March. So please show your support by clicking on the link below and voting for him here: www.nairaland.com/1804027/free-n5000-writer-here-every/55

It is absolutely free; what better way to show op we appreciate.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 2:21am On Mar 11, 2015
DOMAWOLEYE!!!!!
This story don enter my blodd stream and I dey imagine many things now.
But I'm comforted because I know you're not writing from prison.
Really Nice! Following.

3 Likes

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Peacefulness: 12:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
Bravo Dom! You are too too much.

1 Like

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 2:25pm On Mar 11, 2015
CHAPTER 11

The Garri and Groundnut that I bought did not last for three days! I sold it all off. The Warder Oga Inside was my middle man; he ran errands for the inmates as long as he gets paid his stipend. The news that a certain Ojo in ATL has Garri and Groundnut went viral and I ran out of stock by the third day and I realized three hundred percent profit after settling my agent, Oga inside! Inside! He asked if I wanted to replenish my stock and I said yes so we negotiated and I paid him his commission and by mid night on the third day, he smuggled in a fifty kilogram of Garri and five bottles of ground nut into our cell for me and this time he included four packs of Santana water proof nylon bags into which I measured a cup of Garri and tied it for easy and handy sale, I also tore the nylon bags and tied up the groundnuts for sale. The demand grew and wallet grew too that by April I could afford a Lawyer.

A young female Lawyer had come to visit her client and on her way back, Oga Inside told her about my need for a legal representative, she agreed to see me instantly and Oga Inside arranged our meeting. I told her my story but she said she would make up her mind only after hearing my case and to know the quality of evidence against me. She said she would represent me free of charge on April twentieth as scheduled and only after then can we discuss business.

On April twentieth we were in court and I was represented by Barrister Amaka Dike, the daughter of a senior advocate of Nigeria and a Magistrate Court Judge in Abuja. During the hearing of my case which lacked substantial evidence, she requested for more time to fully investigate the case and she requested for the presence of the prosecutor and the O.C of the case by our next hearing which was later adjourned till September sixth.

Barrister Amaka then bombarded me with barrage of questions, both relevant and irrelevant questions, she wrote exhaustively as I answered her questions. She then agreed to take up my case and we agreed on her professional consulting fees which I paid up instantly. I then gave her the story of my life and told her of my concern for my mother in the Village, I told her of the money I have in the Bank and my property in my house which I believed the Army would have moved to the Store and reallocate my house. I told her the key to my house is my travelling bag that was in the Custody of the Abakaliki Prisons authority. All said and done, she drove in her Car to the Prison later in the day and requested for my keys from the Warders which they gave it to her with my authorization.

On her way out she came to bide me fair well, I knelt down and begged her, I told her again of how I was born and the travails that had being lot from birth, I told her every detail about how my mother survives and my fear for her health now that she has not heard from me in almost two years. Barrister Amaka could not but cry with me when I became emotional while telling her my story and my plea for assistance. She left that day April twentieth and promised to be at Court on the sixth of September

My confidence level rose in the prison as I could pull some strings now and I joined the group of Prisoners that were released from their Cells at night stretch their legs by walking about the Prison premises or converging under shadows to smoke Indian hemp and drink beer purchased for us by our errand Boys, the Warders.

Sometimes Girls, especially prostitutes are sneaked into the Prison Yard on our request for a quickie or two. I have witnessed a scenario where nine of us had quickies with a single Girl in turns. We all paid her as agreed and at the end of the orgy she walked out normally chewing gum as if nothing had happened, but her purse was fatter than when she came. Of course she will settle her love-vendor, the Warder that brought her in and those at the gate too.

Indian hemp was smuggled in and sold to us by the Warders at twice the price , a couple of times Oga Inside had helped me to buy Parcels of Indian hemp which I re wrapped and sold at fantastic profit, but it was too risky so I simply focused on my Garri and Groundnut business. I became a creditor to many inmates as I lent many of them money when they are desperately in need. Would you believe if I tell you that some prisoners are actually escorted to their homes at night and returned to Prison before dawn? It happens so long as cash is concerned, there was a man that had been in prison for twelve years and during this period, his wife had three children for him, his biological Children I mean!
The Prison medical Doctor visits on Mondays and Fridays only, the nurses are the ones readily available to attend to emergencies and there were always emergencies especially from the C.C Cell.

The condemned criminal Cell was like a den of Lions, even the Warders were scared of the inmates and seldom interfere when they fight, severally dead bodies had been carried out of the CC Cell due to strangulation or bursting someone’s head on the Brick wall. Many times they rushed a new inmate to the clinic as a result of tears and bruises to the anus due to forceful penetration by Rapists in the C.C cell. The irony of it all is that the Patients are returned to the same Cell after treatment only to meet the same treatment that led them to the Hospital. It was common to hear screams and cries from the C.C cell especially in the dead of the night. For those of on ATL, the fear of the condemned Criminals Cell was the beginning of wisdom.

I was somehow comfortable now in Prison because I was making enough money to see me through, it was just by a stroke of luck that I decided to buy Garri and groundnut with the money I realized when we went to court in February, if I had not bought the Garri, I would have spent the money somehow.

I kept the profits realized from my sales with Oga Inside, though I knew it was risky but at least it can be traced to him rather than keeping money in the Cell where not less than fifty persons inhabit at every point in time. Whenever I lay hands on my Cheque book, I would retrieve my account number from where I wrote it and then transfer my money from Oga Inside to the bank and subsequent profits will be sent straight to the bank through any warder. I wished I had opened an account for my Mother when I went to the Village, at least I could transfer some money into her account from Prison here, but how was I to know that I would be here now?

September sixth came very quickly and we went to Court for my case hearing. My file was the first to be presented for hearing because my Lawyer, Barrister Amaka Dike, the daughter of a SAN was in Court.

The state prosecuting Lawyer was present, Sergeant Godwin was present but the Konwea family was not represented; I was later to know that they refused to honour the Court summons because they suspected a foul play and they had vowed to institute a legal action against the Nigeria Police. They said the Police had informed the Family that I had been sentenced to jail for life so how come they were being invited to Court for the hearing of a case that was presumed closed? Even Sergeant Godwin had decline coming to Abakaliki but for the insistence of barrister Amaka. The case was further adjourned to February 1994 to allow for further investigation. The Judge accused the Police of gross incompetence and lackluster attitude in carrying out their duties; the Judge was impressed with the submissions of my Lawyer which were
-Mr. Chike is from Ibagwa Nike in Enugu state and his family house is known

-Mr. Chike’s Wife and three Kids live in his Village house in Ibagwa
-Mr. Chike has relocated to Yaoundé in Cameroon and is trading on Motor Spare parts and accessories
-Mr. Chike still sneaks into Nigeria to do business and to see his Family
-Mr. Chike is being monitored by the Interpol of both countries
-the Nigerian Police will make arrest once Chike steps into the Country.

After the Court session, I was so elated that I hugged my Lawyer passionately and thanked her immensely; at last there was a sign of hope in my seemingly hopeless situation.
That was not all, she sat me down and gave me more details of her activities since we parted ways in April.

She went to the Barracks to meet Colonel Asemota my Commanding Officer but was told that he had been transferred to Lagos and replace by another Colonel Garba. She had introduced herself and explained her mission. The quarter master was instructed to take her to the Store where my properties were kept as my house had been reallocated to another Soldier. She searched and found my Cheque book. I jumped and hugged her again. She just laughed but her eyes did not spark as she laughed which means either she does not me hugging her or she wasn’t just in the right mood to share my joy so I cautioned myself to restrain from hugging her.

How can I pay you for all your efforts? I asked her you have single handedly done what the Nigeria Police could not do! How did you dig up all these facts about Mr. Chike? How? I demanded.

It’s my job Ojo! It’s my job! She said as she tried to force a smile, but her eyes betrayed her. No spark.

Ha! May God almighty bless you my Sister! I said as she removed my Cheque book from her Purse and handed to me. My Mother! I need to send money to her! I said.

Then she quietly said something that sounded like “I went to Esa-odo”

You say what? I asked aloud

I saw your Mother! She said

Mama! You saw my mother? I asked nervously searching her face as she tried to hide her emotions.

Yes! I went to Esa-Odo, I saw your uncle Baba Miko and I saw your mother. Your mother is sick, she is very very sick; I interrupted her.

How do you mean? What do you mean very very sick? Please talk to me! I begged on my knees, I was scared.

When your mother waited for one year and she did not see you or hear from you, she came to Enugu to look for you in company of Baba Miko. They went to the Army barracks and were eventually directed to your Unit. On getting to your unit, they met a group of Soldiers discussing under a Mango tree and they asked about you. The Soldiers told them different versions of how you were involved in armed robbery and your eventual execution by the Police. Your mother lost her mind instantly! Baba Miko took her back to the Village and since then she has not come to her senses. She carries a Picture of you in Army uniform with her every where she goes now, she would sit and stare at the Picture for over one hour then she would stand up and stare at a distance smiling and whispering your name as if she is seeing you. I tried to talk to her, I told her you were alive and okay, I told her you sent me to her but she just gaze at me as I spoke, it was as if I was not there talking to her. I spent two days in your Village, I lodged at a Hotel in Ijebu Jesha, a town close to your Village and the next day Baba Miko and I took her to Ilesha Psychiatric hospital.

That was the much I could remember as I lay on the bed at the teaching Hospital recuperating, I was on drip. I was told by the nurses that I was rushed in from the Court the day before. My Mother had gone mad.
-

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by jezuzboi(m): 3:13pm On Mar 11, 2015
Eeeyyaahh. Hmmm.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by stonecoldcafe: 4:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
Heartbreaking, still following.
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by charijee(f): 4:25pm On Mar 11, 2015
I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks cry cry cry
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Abbamizy(m): 4:29pm On Mar 11, 2015
Domawoleye...... U sabi the thing
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by rondo235: 12:09am On Mar 12, 2015
chaii doma are puttin grieve in us....i'm sobbing in arabix
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by rondo235: 12:10am On Mar 12, 2015
chaii doma are puttin grieve in us....i'm sobbing in arabix n my pussy is spoken in spanish
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Peacefulness: 7:44am On Mar 12, 2015
Cant help but cry, this guys travails are so much. Weldone Doma!
Re: Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail by Costlybabe: 9:06am On Mar 12, 2015
This ojo self,u dey this kind situation sex still dey ur mind,how God intervened when u don't honour him,fear,seek his face.As long as u keep pushing God away,ur story will still remain the same.Doma Weldon,this looks like a true life story

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) / Read A Book Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.