Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US (45577 Views)

Rivers: Why We Refused PDP Use Of Stadium For Presidential Rally / Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria -US / Oshiomhole Begged To Join PDP, But We Refused - Metuh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 14, 2014
The United States has said that it refused to sell its Cobra helicopters to Nigeria due to concerns about the Nigeria’s military ability to use and maintain them.

The cobra attack helicopter is a combat aircraft used by the US marines with the ability to climb at the rate of 8.2meters per second. It is equipped with a 20 mm M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon in the A/A49E-7 turret (750 rounds ammo capacity).

But America stated that it had provided and approved sales of military equipment to Nigerian armed forces.

The US State Department spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, stated this in Washington on Wednesday while responding to questions from journalists on the allegations made by the Nigerian ambassador to US, Prof. Adebowale Adefuye.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/why-we-refused-to-sell-cobra-helicopters-to-nigeria-us/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 14, 2014
They raised two reasons for not selling weapons to Nigeria.
1: Nigeria military has been abusing the natural human rights of these terrorists
2: Nigeria military lacks the technical-know-how to handle the so called sophisticated weapon..

MY REPLY
1- why should soldiers respect their right when they themselves are denying others the ultimate right toLIFE. I say to hell with their rightz.
2- How sophisticated can a weapon be that people won't know how to use it Are they judging level of intelligence by skin colour
In short, US is doing these because they still felt hurt about how Nigeria was not transparent with them when they imported expertise and services to Nigeria. It dents a great blow on their reputation that the almighty US Can't locate and rescue kidnapped girls in the forest.
TOO BAAAAD!!!

126 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Rexnegro(m): 7:19am On Nov 14, 2014
People wey no well them ...I don't blame them o ...when ebola hit them na we teach them how to go about it o..now make they sell weapon to us they say no as if na free they want give us before...olori buruku them

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by bitterpenis(m): 7:21am On Nov 14, 2014
Then train the NA if fears are about not being able to use the choppers.....even though I agree maintenance won't be

2 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by lomaxx: 7:22am On Nov 14, 2014
Where was Adefuye when America was learning how to make weapons? See as the man is talking like USA owe him a duty to protect his country for him.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by disloman(m): 7:23am On Nov 14, 2014
US!una dey fall my hand oooo.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Vanityupnvanity(m): 7:36am On Nov 14, 2014
i want to see pix of the cobra something cool

2 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by pembisco(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2014
lomaxx:
Where was Adefuye when America was learning how to make weapons? See as the man is talking like USA owe him a duty to protect his country for him.

70 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by simplemach(m): 7:44am On Nov 14, 2014
4k U.S and everything about dem

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by sholatech(m): 7:47am On Nov 14, 2014
Think I'm lost...the Cobra helicopters are to be bought as stated, or leased? We wanted to buy with our money and someone worried we cant maintain them? How ma y cars have we been buying from Us- we dont maintain them and we still buy them regularly!

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by rawpadgin(m): 8:04am On Nov 14, 2014
each time i hear Nigerian science students bragging about their certificate i just laugh

the mentality of an average Nigerian science student is.... after graduation get employed in a company that pays 200k per month, then get married

while the U.S science students are thinking of the next machine to invent

111 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by OLADD: 8:22am On Nov 14, 2014
bandisandi:
1: Nigeria military has been abusing the natural human rights of these terrorists
2: Nigeria military lacks the technical-know-how to handle the so called sophisticated weapon..

MY REPLY
1- why should soldiers respect their right when they themselves are denying others the ultimate right toLIFE. I say to hell with their rightz.
2- How sophisticated can a weapon be that people won't know how to use it Are they judging level of intelligence by skin colour
In short, US is doing these because they still felt hurt about how Nigeria was not transparent with them when they imported expertise and services to Nigeria. It dents a great blow on their reputation that the almighty US Can't locate and rescue kidnapped girls in the forest.
TOO BAAAAD!!!
[/color][color=#006600]

Damn too bad. What an insult! Nigerian military lacks the technical wherewithal to use military helicopter and this insane US wants the world to believe such trash?
To add insult to injury, the US wants to preach the gospel of human right to us. Where was human right when they unilaterally invaded Iraq without UN sanction? Where was the so-called human right when thousands of Iraqis were killed under the hoax of Weapon of Mass Destruction that later turned out to be the greatest lie of the century? It's high time we realised that the United States is not our friend.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:27am On Nov 14, 2014
I read it one tym dat Obama is part of d sponsor of BH,ds can make me believe oooooooo

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by adadadon(m): 8:43am On Nov 14, 2014
See as USA just diss us. Lemme burn my passport sharply

2 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by DaBullIT(m): 8:59am On Nov 14, 2014
bandisandi:

MY REPLY
TOO BAAAAD!!!

Your argument makes no sense Bro. Unlike Nigeria where people take pride in Aluu4 ,jungle justice , where human life and human right means nothing to anyone The US actually cares about safety and lives of its citizens and human right . Soldiers signed waivers during training and they get paid for the risks. Human rights watch did not complain about soldiers violating the rights of terrorists they complained about soldiers murdering innocent people .like a video where a man in military fatigue beheaded 6 suspected terrorists with his cutlass and they put them in a mass grave

Operating some weapons is not just load and cock and aim. Command bases , video streaming of live events , military satelites and every other factors work together for decision making in advanced countries . Also Most aeronautic engineers are mostly engineers by degree not by experience , What's the problem with Nigeria ? Maintenance culture. You buy you use you abandon . Furthermore if some members of the Nigerian army came out to say they cant shoot their brothers in Islam and they happily handed over weapons and armored tanks. That jet in the wrong hands is a disaster for Nigeria as a whole

I guess my point is that the USA has the moral and psychological obligation not to provide a weapon of mini mass destruction to Nigeria as long as barbarians are still in charge , and as long as soldiers are defecting to boko haram camps .

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by DaBullIT(m): 9:05am On Nov 14, 2014
sholatech:
Think I'm lost...the Cobra helicopters are to be bought as stated, or leased? We wanted to buy with our money and someone worried we cant maintain them? How ma y cars have we been buying from Us- we dont maintain them and we still buy them regularly!

Exactly ! When that oil runs dry its gonna be a problem and nigeria would have probably oppressed lots of other nations that would want to have a piece back .

Exactly ! but how many Tear nylons did you buy in person ? Can you swear to God that there's never been a time when you ought to buy brand new tires but couldn't afford it so went for tokumbo ? If you bought test nylon cars from US trust me maintanance will be your watchword .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by olayitoyiwonuola(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2014
Vanityupnvanity:
i want to see pix of the cobra something cool

21 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by saintneo(m): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2014
rawpadgin:
each time i hear Nigerian science students bragging about their certificate i just laugh

the mentality of an average Nigerian science student is.... after graduation get employed in a company that pays 200k per month, then get married

while the U.S science students are thinking of the next machine to invent

You are wrong on your assumptions. Yes majority of Nigerian science/engineering inclined graduates are not there for the passion in the discipline, but I can tell you that there are some highly passionate about it but the general mentality of the public tends to relegate them. The spirit of adventure is almost dead, there are no heroes to follow anymore.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Caseless: 9:51am On Nov 14, 2014
Depend on d US at ur own peril.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by brainpower(m): 10:43am On Nov 14, 2014
lomaxx:

My brother, technically US owes him protection cos they are the world power and get involved where any country is being threatened by war or violence. Boko haram has been designated a terrorist group so US should come in. And moreover, we want to buy these aircrafts, its not dash as so to we won't return them in good form. They are ours.

America is just beating about the bush. They killed Gaddafi in cold blood, they were sponsoring ISIS before but now ISIS has gotten out of control. We refused to legalize same sex marriage and thses are the reasons why they stopped buying our oil and don't want to sell arms. If we decide to build our own military equipments they will make sure they frustrate it with the help of the UN. US are opportunists and every country in the world can see them as such and that's why they facing so much opposition.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by chamboy(m): 10:53am On Nov 14, 2014
All d Naija fools calling Us BH sponsor, If dem give any of dem USA passport them no go even do next minute for naija.... Nigerians n Mixed priorities

4 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 14, 2014
bandisandi:

MY REPLY
TOO BAAAAD!!!

My brother if u are waiting for US to publicly state it that Nigeria Military is compromised and it will be a disaster if after selling sophisticated weapons to Nigeria terrorist got hold of them like they did in some weapons and tanks they have access to right now then you are on a long tin. We all know the real reason US is refusing to do Arms deals with Nigeria.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by tolulope855(m): 11:42am On Nov 14, 2014
too bad
Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by PhockPhockMan: 12:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
DaBullIT:

Your argument makes no sense Bro. Unlike Nigeria where people take pride in Aluu4 ,jungle justice , where human life and human right means nothing to anyone The US actually cares about safety and lives of its citizens and human right . Soldiers signed waivers during training and they get paid for the risks. Human rights watch did not complain about soldiers violating the rights of terrorists they complained about soldiers murdering innocent people .like a video where a man in military fatigue beheaded 6 suspected terrorists with his cutlass and they put them in a mass grave

Operating some weapons is not just load and cock and aim. Command bases , video streaming of live events , military satelites and every other factors work together for decision making in advanced countries . Also Most aeronautic engineers are mostly engineers by degree not by experience , What's the problem with Nigeria ? Maintenance culture. You buy you use you abandon . Furthermore if some members of the Nigerian army came out to say they cant shoot their brothers in Islam and they happily handed over weapons and armored tanks. That jet in the wrong hands is a disaster for Nigeria as a whole

I guess my point is that the USA has the moral and psychological obligation not to provide a weapon of mini mass destruction to Nigeria as long as barbarians are still in charge , and as long as soldiers are defecting to boko haram camps .
Either you're a serious supporter of boko haram or you need a A BRAIN INJECTION. Which America are you talking about? The one that established a torture Island called Guantamo Bay, massacred several thousand innocent people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq etc, in their search for imaginary chemical weapons, terrorists and ultimately, Bin Laden. The invasion of Iraq without United nation isn't it a violation of human rights? We should not fall for America's old tricks of hiding under human rights violations to commit crimes. We all know the kind of evil state of Israel is committing on regular basis in middle east, yet, America remains their biggest supporter and biggest arms suppliers. What of Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, despite reported human rights violations in those countries, America supplies them arms.
The bottom line is that America is not comfortable seeing the emergence of a strong African nation, economically, militarily and otherwise. Unfortunately for them, Nigeria is a moving train.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by king94(m): 12:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
bandisandi:

MY REPLY
TOO BAAAAD!!!
I'd lyk to disagree wit u. Jen Psaki woz talking about d civilians caught up in military raids whose rights were violated. It dents a bigger blow on our reputation when schoolgirls can basically disappear into thin air.

1 Like

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by PhockPhockMan: 1:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
Caseless:
Depend on d US at ur own peril.
You're right. The cold war between Nigeria America really started during Yar,adua regime when American government requested that we grant them the permission to establish a military base in Nigeria. The plan got resistance from Nigerians which embarrassed them without measure hence their decision split the country through boko haram. Because they've realized that Nigeria is difficult to manipulate as presently constituted. So anybody who think America will help in dismantling what they built must be dreaming. That's why I want the current president to stay till 2019, so that he will implement in full his laudable foreign policy. I know you won't agree with me, but this the nakedt truth.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
This is a useless excuse.
Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 14, 2014
Nigeria should go to russia, i heard russia produces better militry hadware's than u.s, and that's why they are afried of them.

*ANY WERE RUSSIA SHOW FACE, U.S GO TEAR RACE(LIONS AND ANTELOPE)*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2014
She said there were ongoing concerns about the
Nigerian military’s protection of civilians when
conducting military operations, adding that these
had been discussed with the Nigerian authorities.
Inasmuch as I share the same concern over civilian abuse by the Military in the North East, I don't see that as a justification. The USA should be blunt! Their refusal won't be unconnected with Nigeria's insistence on criminalising homosexuality. Since it was criminalised, the United States became harsh against us. First it was refusal to give us Ebola trial drugs, now this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
You're right. The cold war between Nigeria America really started during Yar,adua regime when American government requested that we grant them the permission to establish a military base in Nigeria. The plan got resistance from Nigerians which embarrassed them without measure hence their decision split the country through boko haram. Because they've realized that Nigeria is difficult to manipulate as presently constituted. So anybody who think America will help in dismantling what they built must be dreaming. That's why I want the current president to stay till 2019, so that he will implement in full his laudable foreign policy. I know you won't agree with me, but this the nakedt truth.
Thank you for the bold. I will use this against you whenever you accuse APC of being behind Boko-Haram

17 Likes

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by PhockPhockMan: 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
barcanista:
Thank you for the bold. I will use this against you whenever you accuse APC of being behind Boko-Haram
You need brain injection. Can any foreign body achieve anything without local collaboration? Boko haram has local and foreign interests which includes religion, foreign, ethnic, political, etc. If you check APC main campaign point is all about security, security, security, without any hint of the way they will solve the matter, because they believe that they're capable of ordering them to stop when they gets the presidency.
APC is the greatest supporters of boko haram.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Refused To Sell Cobra Helicopters To Nigeria - US by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
You need brain injection. Can any foreign body achieve anything without local collaboration? Boko haram has local and foreign interests which includes religion, foreign, ethnic, political, etc. If you check APC main campaign point is all about security, security, security, without any hint of the way they will solve the matter, because they believe that they're capable of ordering them to stop when they gets the presidency.
APC is the greatest supporters of boko haram.
Phockery you are very smart. grin grin grin

So because APC hinged their campaign on "Security" it automatically means they are the cause of insecurity. Going by your logic, the man that says "I will provide job for all" is the cause of unemployment in Nigeria. Very funny.

1) The APC called for Int'l probe into BH insurgency to unravel the sponsors, FG declined.
2) The APC called for investigation into davies report, FG instead partied and attended security meetings with the indicted fellows. No Prosecution or any commission of enquiry.
3) All the indicted fellows are in PDP, including the words of General Iwoye Azazi.

25 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yul Edochie Steps Out With His Daughter, Dani (Video) / Nigeria’s First Minister Of Sadness - By Haruna Mohammed Salisu / APC Speaks On Removal Of Orji Uzor Kalu's Name From Party's Register

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.