Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? (2774 Views)

Why Are Atheist So Annoying / Are Atheist Right On Paris Attacks? / Fr Mbaka Shuts Adoration Ground Over Alleged Threat To Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by engrtee(f): 2:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
(1) In what ways are the actions of atheists or secularists threatening you, family, or the country?
For example, just off the top of my head I can imagine someone saying that teaching evolution is harmful to their children, or that it is important that the people running this country believe in God.
(2) Are atheists trying to convert people in the same way that religious people do?
(3) If atheists are trying to convert people, Is it better or worse than when people of other religions try to do the same?
(4) would a rise in secularism be bad for naija? Why or why not
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by PROCTOR: 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2014
Yes........They are a threat to those aspiring to buy a private jet

12 Likes

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 14, 2014
The theists are the greater problem of the world.

A look on African nations and their middle-eastern counterpart like Iraq and Syria will reveal the danger of being theists. On the other hand , check out Denmark, switzerland and the rest.

Your guess will be as good as mine.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by iamodenigbo1(m): 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2014
subscribing
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 4:01pm On Nov 14, 2014
Yes.
An atheist is the greatest threat to a religious mind.
An atheist creates the worst kind of cognitive dissonance for the faithful.

Cognitive dissonance is not just a derogatory term atheist use to mock theists.
No. Cognitive dissonance is a real psychological condition that is actually responsible for a lot evils in the world. Cognitive dissonance is the reason that people commit acts of violent aggression against others and then say they are doing it for god.

When an atheist mocks and points out the inherent contradictions of a belief, the mind of the belief recognizes the contradiction. What mind does next is to block out, temporarily erase the contradictory aspect, then it automatically goes into danger and attack mode, in the same way that a frightened wild tiger would do to defend itself.
It is important to note that the religious beliefs are accommodated in the same primitive part of the brain as fear, violence and other irrational impulses.

If a Shi'ite can feel so threatened by a Sunni that he feels compelled to kill a Sunni anytime and anywhere, you can just imagine the level cognitive dissonance, fear and violence an atheist would elicit from him.

9 Likes

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Hiswordxray(m): 4:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
One thing I don't understand is why do atheist try so hard to convert religious people?
Why are they so restless in doing so?
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hiswordxray:
One thing I don't understand is why do atheist try so hard to convert religious people?
Do you have amnesia? Or are you just being silly?

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Idrismusty97(m): 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hiswordxray:
Is this for real? You may want to re-read the thrash you just posted.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Hiswordxray(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
Idrismusty97:
Is this for real? You may want to re-read the thrash you just posted.

Do converting Christians make atheist feel good about their rebellion?
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by sinequanon: 5:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
engrtee:
(1) In what ways are the actions of atheists or secularists threatening you, family, or the country?
For example, just off the top of my head I can imagine someone saying that teaching evolution is harmful to their children, or that it is important that the people running this country believe in God.

See 2.

(2) Are atheists trying to convert people in the same way that religious people do?

Some are. That is the problem -- the use of fear, indoctrination, force, exclusiveness to trap people in a belief.

Otherwise it would be each to his own, and people could learn and change in their own time.

(3) If atheists are trying to convert people, Is it better or worse than when people of other religions try to do the same?

Same thing.

Good. If it happened naturally, it could be a sign of less religious tension.

It could also be a recognition that any belief system is part of a person's journey to be completed naturally -- not by force or "counterargument".

1 Like

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
blizard44:
The theists are the greater problem of the world.

A look on African nations and their middle-eastern counterpart like Iraq and Syria will reveal the danger of being theists. On the other hand , check out Denmark, switzerland and the rest.

Your guess will be as good as mine.

Anyone who suggests a lack of religious fervor is responsible for the high quality of life in the Scandinavians is ignorant of history. I would suggest you read the Marshall plan for starters.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by EvilBrain1(m): 5:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hiswordxray:

One thing I don't understand is why do sane people try so hard to treat mad people? Why are they so restless in doing so?

6 Likes

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 6:13pm On Nov 14, 2014
engrtee:

It does no physical harm. But to the extent I think atheism is based on false premises I would do my part to lessen its spread. However, I must note that the moral relativism most atheists buy into is a serious threat to civilization. Unfortunately, many Christians are tolerant of it or subscribe to it.

engrtee:

Yes.

engrtee:

It's relatively better. There is less violence involved.

engrtee:

It would. Because any ideology that rebuffs the concept of moral absolutes, undercuts the ancient institution of marriage, despises the cultural and political role religion plays and only or mostly portrays as negative a deeply important part of humanity (ie religion) is hugely flawed. Any one who thinks the end of religion will lead to an end of a great deal of humanity's problems is displaying a pathetic misunderstanding of both the human nature and history.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 6:27pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hiswordxray:
Has any atheist stop you on the street or knocked on your door , or gone on TV to blackmail you to accept atheism or else. .?

No atheist can try to convert anyone.
Atheists outbursts are reactionary outbursts in response to public promotion of magical thinking and irrationality.

No atheist can look at the fraud of Pentecostal Christianity, the blood thirsts of radical Islam or the hypocrisy of priest child molesters and say that religion is OK and harmless to the human mind.

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 6:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
UyiIredia:

Anyone who suggests a lack of religious fervor is responsible for the high quality of life in the Scandinavians is ignorant of history. I would suggest you read the Marshall plan for starters.
Is it ignorance, delusions or dishonesty that drives you to write non-sense?

What about the Marshall plan and economic basket cases of Europe such as Portugal, Italy and Spain?
What do they have common that the Scandinavian countries do not have?
Can you guess?

1 Like

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by sinequanon: 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

Has any atheist stop you on the street or knocked on your door , or gone on TV to blackmail you to accept atheism or else. .?

They just terrify scientists from speaking out about their faith, threatening their career by ridiculing them. And they lobby the government to get religious ideas banned.

Far more sophisticated.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 7:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
sinequanon:

They just terrify scientists from speaking out about their faith, threatening their career by ridiculing them. And they lobby the government to get religious ideas banned.

Far more sophisticated.
Religious ideas have no place in science or government. That would be s sordid enactment of negative history.
We've been there, and done that.
The divorce of religion and science, and the later divorce of religion from the State were great leaps in social evolution, and humankind has been better off.

Like I said in another thread, the history of humankind testifies to the dangerous shortcomings of religious ideas.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

Is it ignorance, delusions or dishonesty that drives you to write non-sense?

What about the Marshall plan and economic basket cases of Europe such as Portugal, Italy and Spain?
What do they have common that the Scandinavian countries do not have?
Can you guess?

I can't. I mentioned the Marshall plan because it is a fact that many countries in Europe (including Scandinavian countries) received huge sums under a Marshall plan driven at economic restoration and battling communism from Russia. If you read on these nations such as Sweden you will find out that they were helped in that regard. I should add that just as Islam to related but different tribes I. the Middle East Christianity was a uniting factor for Scandinavian nations.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by sinequanon: 7:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

Religious ideas have no place in science or government. That would be s sordid enactment of negative history.
The divorce of religion and science, and the later divorce of religion from the State were great leaps in social evolution, and humankind has been better off.

Like I said in another thread, the history of humankind testifies to the dangerous shortcomings of religious ideas.

I think you have missed the point. I am not talking about religious government. I am talking about the government banning religious activity in the population. An example would be the banning of religious symbolism in public.

btw., science is just another religion, the way it is conducted. So still more "divorcing" to do.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 7:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

However at the present moment the new enemy is the hold of materialism in science and its twin evil of liberalism in the political sphere. To the extent that a core part of any and all religious enterprise has been bettering man's ethics, religion is very much a partner in science and governance.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 7:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
sinequanon:

I think you have missed the point. I am not talking about religious government. I am talking about the government banning religious activity in the population. An example would be the banning of religious symbolism in public.

btw., science is just another religion, the way it is conducted. So still more "divorcing" to do.
I do agree that liberalism can go too far sometimes.
I support the banning of school prayer in multicultural societies, but I don't support the banning of teachers from wearing Crosses or other religious paraphernalia.

However, the fact that modern societies go out of their way to protect their citizens from the religious beliefs of others is a sure testament to the fear and loathing of a long discredited worldview.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 7:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
UyiIredia:

However at the present moment the new enemy is the hold of materialism in science and its twin evil of liberalism in the political sphere. To the extent that a core part of any and all religious enterprise has been bettering man's ethics, religion is very much a partner in science and governance.
This sounds more like ramblings from an alternate universe.

I really feel like throwing up each some one tries to mention morality, ethics and religion in one sentence. Really.
This, for me, is perhaps the biggest whopper ever sold, the biggest fraud ever pepertuated.

Look around you. Watch CNN, BBC or any news source and tell us that all the evils recorded in any given day was perpetuated by people who had no religion.

If you can do that, I will agree with you, and owe you an apology.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by sinequanon: 7:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

I do agree that liberalism can go too far sometimes.
I support the banning of school prayer in multicultural societies, but I don't support the banning of teachers from wearing Crosses or other religious paraphernalia.

I believe in parental authority. It worked well in the schools I attended in the UK. If you were non-Christian, you could skip school prayers and even religious instruction.

plaetton:
However, the fact that modern societies go out of their way to protect their citizens from the religious beliefs of others is a sure testament to the fear and loathing of a long discredited worldview.

I think will soon be a backlash against the passive-aggressive tactics science is using to establish itself as a religion rather than just a tool.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 7:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
sinequanon:

I believe in parental authority. It worked well in the schools I attended in the UK. If you were non-Christian, you could skip school prayers and even religious instruction.

I think will soon be a backlash against the passive-aggressive tactics science is using to establish itself as a religion rather than just a tool.
It is not science that is doing anything, it is rational humans opting for rational worldview.

Studies have shown that US college grads come out of college less religious than when they entered. This is just a simple case of social evolution.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Misogynist2014(m): 7:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
EvilBrain1:

One thing I don't understand is why do sane people try so hard to treat mad people? Why are they so restless in doing so?
Even a mad man calls a sane person mad, is it then possible to know who's mad? It is much more logical to say God exists than the otherwise.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by sinequanon: 8:01pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

It is not science that is doing anything, it is rational humans opting for rational worldview.

Rational is just another word for "conformance to scientific ASSUMPTIONS".

It plays the same role as "holy" does in mainstream religions.

Ironically, the word "rational" plays on various politically established psychological connotations -- not on the the profoundness it purports to convey.

plaetton:
Studies have shown that US college grads come out of college less religious than when they entered. This is just a simple case of social evolution.

And born again Christians come out of church believing less in scientific ASSUMPTIONS. What is the difference?
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 8:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

This sounds more like ramblings from an alternate universe.

I really feel like throwing up each some one tries to mention morality, ethics and religion in one sentence. Really.
This, for me, is perhaps the biggest whopper ever sold, the biggest fraud ever pepertuated.

Look around you. Watch CNN, BBC or any news source and tell us that all the evils recorded in any given day was perpetuated by people who had no religion.

If you can do that, I will agree with you, and owe you an apology.

People with no religion perpetrate evils of their own too though atheists tend to deny that fact. Evil has no respect for a presence or lack of religious tendencies. To therefore forward the lie that being an atheist makes you more ethical is ignorant and evil. Besides under your moral relativism aren't people justified in what you see as evil. You lack a basis to complain.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

@ bold: Profoundly ignorant of the whole work at 'perception management' that went into purposefully liberalizing and desensitizing youths to religion esp Christianity.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 8:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
UyiIredia:

@ bold: Profoundly ignorant of the whole work at 'perception management' that went into purposefully liberalizing and desensitizing youths to religion esp Christianity.
I see you guys have become more intelligent.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by plaetton: 8:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
UyiIredia:

People with no religion perpetrate evils of their own too though atheists tend to deny that fact. Evil has no respect for a presence or lack of religious tendencies. To therefore forward the lie that being an atheist makes you more ethical is ignorant and evil. Besides under your moral relativism aren't people justified in what you see as evil. You lack a basis to complain.
The problem with you, as well as many others like you is that after many years of debating with atheists, you still don't know what atheism is.
It baffles me that atheists have to repeat it a more million times, and yet, you still don't get it.

This is the problem with religious folks. You have a problem accepting facts that do not fit into your entrenched belief system. You still think that atheism is a competiting belief system that has dos and don'ts just like your religion.

It gets frustrated trying a million times to educated religion-infused knuckheads that atheism is simply a disbelief in a puppetmaster god , nothing else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by Misogynist2014(m): 8:48pm On Nov 14, 2014
UyiIredia:

The teaching of evolution in schools, feminism, po.rn, gay rights has a part to play in such views. I must say that I have enough proof that Christianity is From God.
Re: Are Atheist Threat To Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 8:50pm On Nov 14, 2014
plaetton:

The problem with you, as well as many others like you is that after many years of debating with atheists, you still don't know what atheism is.
It baffles me that atheists have to repeat it a more million times, and yet, you still don't get it.

This is the problem with religious folks. You have a problem accepting facts that do not fit into your entrenched belief system. You still think that atheism is a competiting belief system that has dos and don'ts just like your religion.

It gets frustrated trying a million times to educated religion-infused knuckheads that atheism is simply a disbelief in a puppetmaster god , nothing else.

Only a fool will deny atheism is a belief system. Isn't it true that most atheist belief in evolution ? Isn't it silly to pretend that a 'lack of belief in God' is not a belief that there is no God ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Atheist Hate Only The "Christian God"? / How To Handle Courtship And Sexual Purity / Churches That Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.