Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Churches That Abuse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churches That Abuse (2771 Views)

"Super Rich Churches That Do Business Must Pay Tax" – Sheikh Abdur-Rahman Ahmad / Nigerian Uses Signpost, Tells Churches That Schools Owned By Them Should Be Free / Types Of Churches That Are Doomed To Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Churches That Abuse by vooks: 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2015
Every believer should read this book cover to cover at least thrice.
http://www.reveal.org/development/Churches_that_Abuse.pdf

Cc: Winsomex,Joagbaje,Gombs,MutleyLaff,Ayoku777,Esere826,MrPresident1,Goshen360,Shdemidemi,Scholar8200,an2elect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2015
From the Jacket of the Book

Churches That Abuse

When does a church cross the line between conventional church status and fringe status? What is the nature of the process by which any given group devolves into a fringe church or movement? What are some of the signs or indicators that a given group is becoming abusive of its members and is headed for the margins? When should a member consider bailing out?

Churches That Abuse answers these and other important questions about abusive churches and groups that operate in this country — organizations and churches that are not necessarily characterized by doctrinal deviation but have particular traits that make them behavioral and sociological outsiders. It also helps readers identify and beware of abusive tendencies in more "normal" Christian churches.

Ronald Enroth identifies what is meant by "abusive churches." Then, he describes abusive churches, using the ten identifying traits of control-oriented leadership, spiritual elitism, manipulation of members, perceived persecution, lifestyle rigidity, emphasis on experience, suppression of dissent, harsh discipline of members, denunciation of other churches, and the painful exit process. Finally, he shows readers how to discern fringe churches and offers several "red flags" that can be discerned when conventional churches drift toward the fringe.

Churches That Abuse tells who the abusers are, how their techniques operate, and what the consequences are for marriages, small children, and teenagers. Where most books stop after reporting problem areas, this one continues and offers suggestions for those helping victims of abuse. And it can be read beneficially by those who are involved in abusive churches and have no one to turn to.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:19am On Oct 20, 2015
Preface
This has been a difficult book to write because it is a book that is critical of other Christians. One always runs the risk of being misunderstood and labeled "judgmental" or arrogant when you make evaluative statements regarding Christian believers and organizations outside your own immediate circle. The book is about churches and other Christian organizations that inflict psychological and spiritual abuse upon members through the use of fear, guilt, and intimidation.

However, when we refuse to pass judgment on any religious phenomenon for fear that such judgments might violate the norm of tolerance so prevalent in our culture, we abdicate our responsibility to the body of Christ to sound a warning where a warning is justified. Some boats need to be rocked, even Christian boats. The years of research that have gone into this book have validated for me the truth of a placard I display in my office: "Those who make it hardest to be a Christian in this world are the other Christians."

I can safely predict that not one of the groups discussed in these pages will agree that they deserve such mention. They will protest that they have been unfairly portrayed, that I have listened to "a few disgruntled former members" whose words should not be trusted, and who are not representative of the membership.

Let me assure the reader that the information I convey in this book is based not on my own fanciful imagination, but on the actual experiences of real people whose accounts can be independently verified and who, to the best of my knowledge, have been truthful about their encounters with churches that abuse. Despite the defensive protestations of authoritarian leaders that ex-members of their churches lie, distort the facts, and are "accusers of the brethren," there is abundant evidence that a serious problem of abuse exists in the Christian community.

Researching and writing Churches That Abuse was often a depressing experience because in recounting their days in abusive environments, the survivors I talked with had to relive the pain and confusion, and, yes, the anger. Sometimes they were embarrassed to admit that they had allowed these things to happen to them. They felt the absence of understanding people willing to help them "pick up the pieces."

It is my hope that this book will provide a context for understanding. If we have basic information about a subject, we can sometimes take preventative action. Regrettably, it is not always possible to "get through" to people already caught up in abusive churches. They do not see themselves as being manipulated, or in any danger of spiritual abuse. Hence, the frustration of parents, relatives, and friends who try to reach or "rescue" them. There are no easy solutions to this problem.

In the final analysis, the book presents a hopeful outlook. Not only can individuals leave abusive churches and achieve recovery and restoration, but there are encouraging signs that some groups are themselves recognizing the need for change and are moving away from the fringe toward the center. May their numbers increase.

Ronald Enroth
Santa Barbara, California
July 1991
Re: Churches That Abuse by Goshen360(m): 4:37am On Oct 20, 2015
Thanks brother. I'll bookmark and check it out.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 12:20pm On Oct 20, 2015
Members of all abusive churches soon learn that the pastor or leader is beyond confrontation. As one former member of an abusive congregation put it, "Since no one in the church was allowed to murmur and complain, or to disagree with the pastor, there were many, like myself, who suffered in silence lest we incur God's anger." All problems that befall the group are the fault of members who violate the infallible rules. Accordingly, members experience increased self-doubt, helplessness, and insecurity.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2015
How does your church treat ex-members?
The ultimate form of discipline in authoritarian churches is excommunication or disfellowshipping, followed by strict avoidance procedures, or shunning. As MacDonald correctly notes, "Once the deviant is labeled as factious and is denounced, he is cast aside as thoroughly as one would throw out a dirty diaper . . . [the deviant] is no longer considered even to be an ex-member, but a wolf in sheep's clothing. He is referred to and looked to as how not to be."3 When a rebellious individual leaves an abusive group, he is labeled as a traitor, a reprobate, a sinner, a backslider, or, in the case of Set Free Christian Fellowship, an "outlaw." The congregation is told to disassociate from such persons. "Friends of long standing will ignore him. They will turn their faces away. They will go to great lengths to avoid him. They will walk on the other side of the street, hang up the phone, or not answer the door . . . "4
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 3:37pm On Oct 20, 2015
When authoritarian churches are subjected to what they perceive to be negative press, they invariably interpret the results as the "work of Satan." This is true even if the report appears in a Christian periodical, or when Christian observers are quoted.

Criticism, whether its source is Christian or secular, sincere or superficial, is always viewed by fringe churches as an "attack" — dismissed as more evidence of Satan trying to discredit "a good Christian work." In no way would I defend all that is passed off as investigative journalism aimed at Christian organizations. But I am aware of numerous instances where carefully researched, accurate reporting has been totally rejected by the evangelical Christian community without ever considering the possible merits of the reporting. It is almost automatically attributed to Satan. That is unconscionable.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2015
A central theme of this book is that spiritual abuse can take place in the context of doctrinally sound, Bible preaching, fundamental, conservative Christianity. All that is needed for abuse is a pastor accountable to no one and therefore beyond confrontation.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 7:52pm On Oct 20, 2015
It goes without saying that the pastoral leaders we have examined here are power-seeking individuals. In their attempts to control and manipulate others, they reveal much about their own personality and identity. Behavioral scientists view the desire for power as the result of a deep- seated insecurity or need. It is my impression that abusive pastors often come from troubled backgrounds and are very insecure persons despite the "take charge" image they may project. They are power-hungry people who crave visibility. Leaders who inflict spiritual violence often hide behind the smoke screen of authority to gain power.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 3:54am On Oct 21, 2015
As Bruce indicated, the membership of authoritarian churches is frequently comprised of young, spiritually immature Christians. This kind of church is successful because it is meeting basic human needs — the need to belong, the need to be affirmed, to be accepted, and to be part of a family. It is not unusual for the leaders to assume the role of surrogate parents, especially for those young adults who come from dysfunctional-family backgrounds.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 3:58am On Oct 21, 2015
A key element of discernment, then, is the recognition that potentially abusive churches foster an unhealthy form of dependency, spiritually and otherwise, by focusing on themes of submission and obedience to those in authority. They create the impression that people just aren't going to find their way through life's maze without a lot of firm directives from those at the top. They promote what MacDonald calls a form of "learned helplessness."
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:02am On Oct 21, 2015
The discerning Christian must also beware of the trap of legalism. We have seen numerous examples throughout this book of how life-style rigidity and the keeping of a set of rules can stifle spiritual liberty and encourage abuse. Preoccupation with keeping Christian rules enhances guilt feelings in members, and it acts as an effective control mechanism for power abusers. "Legalism is never corrective church discipline. For legalism pulls us away from following Christ toward another gospel, another gospel that says the cross is not enough."8
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:05am On Oct 21, 2015
Another quality that can lead to abusive behavior in a church is the tendency toward isolationism, a conscious effort to limit input from outside the church — in other words, information control. Beware of the church where outside speakers are consistently denied access to the pulpit, and where other Christian churches are regularly denounced, belittled, or ridiculed. Competing authority figures, whether from within or without the church walls, are rarely welcomed in abusive churches. No one can measure up to their exalted standards. In the words of Marie Kolasinski (see chapter 6), "Ninety-nine percent of the people who profess to be Christians are really enemies of the cross."
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:12am On Oct 21, 2015
It is my opinion, based on extensive research and informal observation, that authoritarian leaders are ecclesiastical loners. That is, they do not function well or willingly in the context of systematic checks and balances. They are fiercely independent and refuse to be part of a structure of accountability. To put it crudely, they operate a one-man (or one-woman) spiritual show. And God help the person who gets in the way or makes waves. Yes, sometimes they will point to a board of elders or its equivalent, but more likely than not, this turns out to be a faithful inner circle of clones that implicitly accepts all that the leader sets forth.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:18am On Oct 21, 2015
As we have seen, another sign of impending trouble in a church is an obsession with discipline and excommunication. Beware of churches that warn of certain doom if you leave their "covering," or if you "break covenant." Once banished from the group, little compassion is shown the wayward one. And overwhelming majority of the ex-members I have interviewed expressed the opinion that abusive leaders are cold, almost cruel, in their treatment of people who leave — whether that departure was voluntary or involuntary. Almost without exception they report that the leadership made no attempt at reconciliation and made no effort to heal the wounds inflicted. Instead, defectors are held up to the congregation as warnings to potential "sowers of discord."
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 5:30am On Oct 21, 2015
Pastoral abuse can be spotted quite easily, at least in its advanced stages. Abusive religion substitutes human power for true freedom in Christ. Unquestioning obedience and blind loyalty are its hallmarks. Leaders who practice spiritual abuse exceed the bounds of legitimate authority and "lord it over the flock," often intruding into the personal lives of members. God's will is something that they determine for you rather than something you individually seek to know. Abusive leaders are self-centered and adversarial rather than reconciling and restorative.

1 Like

Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:07am On Oct 22, 2015
Abusive churches are not, for the most part, promoting rank heresy. But their human leaders seem ever willing to make pronouncements in the name of God, thus "mistaking what God is saying in Scripture for their own particular brand of interpretation of Scripture." 10 This sets the stage for the possibility of outright heresy being introduced, as well as the kind of abusive practices we have discussed.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:18am On Oct 22, 2015
Why are Christians being attracted to nontraditional groups? In addition to the reasons just cited — greater freedom in worship, acceptance, fellowship, and a sense of family — there is the appeal and excitement of experience, the desire for something new, something more,
Re: Churches That Abuse by trapQ: 2:03am On Oct 23, 2015
No T.B Joshua bashing today?? Ok
Re: Churches That Abuse by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 23, 2015
Does it give mention to particular churches that fringe beyond what tolerant??
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:20am On Oct 23, 2015
trapQ:
No T.B Joshua bashing today?? Ok
We are discussing churches not primitive Negro religions

1 Like

Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 4:21am On Oct 23, 2015
Adanna28:
Does it give mention to particular churches that fringe beyond what tolerant??
Read the book.
It is wiser sharing patterns or characteristics of abuse so you can be on guard. This is not an encyclopaedia of abusive churches but a manual for identifying them

1 Like

Re: Churches That Abuse by trapQ: 11:40am On Oct 23, 2015
Says the black ignoramus.
vooks:
We are discussing churches not primitive Negro religions
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 6:30pm On Oct 23, 2015
trapQ:
Says the black ignoramus.

You are stalking me Negro, what do you want?
Re: Churches That Abuse by trapQ: 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2015
Good question... I want you to be rational about certain issues, especially those concerning T.B Joshua. If an aethiest said all these I'd understand, but as christians , we shouldn't be divided because we're one body.

You don't need to like T.B J, GOD healed my dad's friend of a heart disease through him. you musnt believe, but what reason have I to lie? That people lost their lives under his watch doesn't translate to him killing them. People die from stampedes at crusades frequently. He teaches the true word of GOD, is humble, highly philantropic.

And do you know he doesn't even ask people to come to his church? He encourages people to find and attend living churches around them.
vooks:

You are stalking me Negro, what do you want?
Re: Churches That Abuse by WinsomeX: 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2015
vooks:
Every believer should read this book cover to cover at least thrice.
http://www.reveal.org/development/Churches_that_Abuse.pdf

Cc: Winsomex,Joagbaje,Gombs,MutleyLaff,Ayoku777,Esere826,MrPresident1,Goshen360,Shdemidemi,Scholar8200,an2elect

vooks, thank you for tagging me here. I just completed the first chapter. Every Christian should read this.
Re: Churches That Abuse by WinsomeX: 10:35pm On Oct 23, 2015
Candour, trustman and Petres007, you guys must see this book.
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 2:30am On Oct 24, 2015
trapQ:
Good question... I want you to be rational about certain issues, especially those concerning T.B Joshua. If an aethiest said all these I'd understand, but as christians , we shouldn't be divided because we're one body.

You don't need to like T.B J, GOD healed my dad's friend of a heart disease through him. you musnt believe, but what reason have I to lie? That people lost their lives under his watch doesn't translate to him killing them. People die from stampedes at crusades frequently. He teaches the true word of GOD, is humble, highly philantropic.

And do you know he doesn't even ask people to come to his church? He encourages people to find and attend living churches around them.

Miracles don't vindicate men. Don't you know that baby Christian?
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 2:31am On Oct 24, 2015
WinsomeX:

vooks, thank you for tagging me here. I just completed the first chapter. Every Christian should read this.

Unfortunately most won't being scared that their churches may match the criteria . They Wil give it a wide berth
Re: Churches That Abuse by trapQ: 8:43am On Oct 24, 2015
Of course I know. It is also written, "these signs shall follow those that believe"... You know what signs. Every biblical prophet performed miracles. The devil is a counterfeiter and can also heal. Hence as christians, we need God's spirit for discernment. Dis God tell you he is a fake??
vooks:

Miracles don't vindicate men. Don't you know that baby Christian?
Re: Churches That Abuse by vooks: 10:19am On Oct 24, 2015
trapQ:
Of course I know. It is also written, "these signs shall follow those that believe"... You know what signs. Every biblical prophet performed miracles. The devil is a counterfeiter and can also heal. Hence as christians, we need God's spirit for discernment. Dis God tell you he is a fake??
trapQ my good friend,
So John the Baptist was not a prophet? cheesy

Luke 7:28 (KJV)
For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he

John 10:41 (KJV)
And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true.

Apart from watching women give birth, pee and defacate at SCOAN, try and use your free time to study scriptures.
Re: Churches That Abuse by trapQ: 12:23pm On Oct 24, 2015
Lmao.... Funny you!!! You really are a hypocrite. I knew you'd mention john the baptist. You're too used to mediocrity. No doubt if peter, elisha, elijah, moses etc were all present today and did signs and wonders, you'll discredit them as well.

I'll just pretend I didn't see the last part of your post. Good day!!!
vooks:

So John the Baptist was not a prophet? cheesy

Luke 7:28 (KJV)
For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he

John 10:41 (KJV)
And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true.

Apart from watching women give birth, pee and defacate at SCOAN, try and use your free time to study scriptures.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christians Should Avoid Meats Sacrificed To Idols / The End Of The Church Age / T. B Joshua Predict Massive Death Via 2go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.