Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,807 members, 7,956,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili (598 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... / How Mark Ruled Ashafa Out Of Order And Approved Obanikoro As A Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by klins4213(m): 4:07pm On Nov 14, 2014
A former Minister for Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili has said that she could not afford to pay her mother’s rent while serving in government.

This came as she also disclosed that the #BringbackourGirls campaign was an assignment from God.

Ezekwesili said these during a live interview at the ongoing national convention of the Foursquare Gospel Church, at the Foursquare Camp, Ajebo, Ogun State, on Thursday. The former Minister was invited to speak to the congregation on the topic, ‘Integrity’. She told the congregation that integrity comes with its cost, adding that she did not spend from her imprest accounts as Ministers of Solid Minerals and later Education.

“There were times I couldn’t pay my mother’s rent, not because I couldn’t have made a choice and build her a mansion. When I was in government, we had to withdraw our three children from their school to Baptist Special School. I was (just) answering big titles. Some of you would have said, ‘they are eating our money’. May God save those who speak without knowledge. I am not saying this so that you can say I am holy, I have my shortcomings.

“Integrity will cost you a lot. Anyone who talks about integrity without the cost is preaching what I do not know about. Integrity can require a supreme cost from you. You will be persecuted for making the choice of integrity but make that choice nonetheless,’’ she said.

Ezekwesili who was a former Vice President (Africa Region) of the World Bank, however attributed her activism to God and family background.

“I had to ask God to help me identify scriptural verses and the heroes and heroines that made the right choices when it was required. My foundation was strong in the areas of values. My father would say to us, ‘A good name is better than gold and all the riches of the earth’. Man is incapable of giving me anything God has not given to me,’’ she added.

Asked why she chose to be an advocate for the 219 school girls kidnapped at the Government Girls College, Chibok, Borno State in April, Ezekwesili said she could not afford to pretend ‘as if nothing happened’, adding that criticisms would not deter her from pressurising the Federal Government to rescue the girls.

“The 219 children of the poor remind me of my own poor background before I became a beneficiary of what God has done. God forbids that Oby Ezekwesili will be in this land and 219 girls who went to get the same education that I got were abducted and I will pretend as if nothing happened.

“It was clear in my mind that all kinds of things will be said, but I don’t do jobs, I only do assignments. God said to me that concerning these girls, I should be their voices. In February, 59 boys were slaughtered in their school and we all carried on as if nothing happened. You read my citation, I got most of my education in Nigeria, and these children were doing the same thing. I can not pretend as if nothing happened,’’ she said.

Ezekwesili also said the public private partnership involving the Unity Schools while she was Minister of Education was done to promote excellence regardless the socio-economic background of the pupils. According to her, the reform was not intended to edge out pupils from poor background but provide a level-playing ground for exceptional Nigerian pupils.

“What I met as Unity schools were carcasses, they had become mere commodities in the hands of government officials. At the time the average pass rate in WASSCE was 86 per cent while the pass rate for Unity schools was 30 per cent. So we decided to introduce reforms through the Old Student Association and the Parents Teachers Association and the interventions were done by the School Management Organisation independent of the Ministry.

“This is to ensure that only the best pupils, regardless whether they are children of the poor or the mighty are admitted. But they sold a dummy to the rest of the society that we want to privatize Unity schools. But even though that dream tarries, it shall come to pass,’’ she said....

Source» http://www.nigerianeye.com/2014/11/i-couldnt-afford-to-pay-house-rent-when.html?m=1
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by alabiyemmy(m): 4:09pm On Nov 14, 2014
story time.
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by Tobilastik(m): 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
hmmmm....I reserve my comment till it enter fp
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by morefire: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
LOL......

Then your a wasteful person because your emoluments even before you came into government could of built at least decent houses for yourself, your kids and parents...

thank you for what your doing with the bring back our girls campaign but please dont mistake that we like you to mean we are stupid...

haba you couldnt afford to pay rent for your mother when salary was more than 2m a month i mean legally na wa oh
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by Freest(m): 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2014
This guys should just shut up already... Rubbish!!!
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by cyril10(m): 4:22pm On Nov 14, 2014
Rubbish statement from a deceiver like Ezekwesili, shame on her.
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by Trailblazer1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
I love this woman so much.

She's an embodiment of Margaret Thatcher.

She's a born leader, Maybe another female president besides Late Prof.Dora Akunyili that Nigeria may never have.

She's Intelligent, Fearless, competent, transparent, God-fearing.................... Pls add yours.
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by bitterpenis(m): 4:57pm On Nov 14, 2014
how much be the house rent?
Re: I Couldn’t Afford To Pay House Rent When I Was A Minister - Ezekwesili by southsouthman: 5:33pm On Nov 14, 2014
What she didn't come out to say is that as a fore runner in the BBOG group she now has enough money to pay her rent because she is getting so much money from people. Story for the gods

(1) (Reply)

2014 Community Day Celebration: Fashola Urges Communities To Vote An Apc Governm / Conspiracy: Sarkin Baka Adamawa Arrested For Leading Vigilantes To Recapture Ter / Has Nigeria's Social Media/online News Platforms Been Bought By PDP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.