Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka (23098 Views)

Wole Soyinka Government High School / Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by dorggito1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
Though prof is right but the internet is an added advantage in this modern era.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Dahjhi: 1:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
abdulwastecx:
In my 200 level, my engineering communication lecturer was accusing me of having a northern accent and not been able to pronounce some words properly. he told me that English language has made it possible for scientific principles to be expressed properly. The question I ask him then was why Japan with 127million people has produce several nobel prize winners in science and technology and can be boast of several world class infrastructure, engineering capability and third largest economy by speaking a japanese kanji language
you see why dem moffoz will always challenge the internet for enlightening us... The ages when dey won't be able do deceive us with professorship of ONLY WHITE BUSHY HAIR is here abeg cheesy cheesy
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Ybholy(m): 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
No amount of words will put a stop to it , by the way , if not for internet , how will i see this thing that He SAID ?

Story for the gods .
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by ALKARULEZ615(m): 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2014
Who is Soyinka?

We don't know him here in Kuwait
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by webninja: 1:22pm On Nov 16, 2014
AfricanApple:
he is right in every way and does make sense. what have u been reading and writing on NL, herald, na wa u o, seems your addiction to Nl is on a high level. most of d things u read here aren't even true.
talk about writing, u know very well that we all don't write our words in full, we abbreviates and dats not a good way to learn how to write correctly.

the internet can never in any way be compared to books, d net is full of fakes and wrongs. it makes pple become lazy in reading books where they can really learn and discourage those who are already lazy and would have been willing to learn

I support what he said a beg

some pple can browse (mostly chat) from morning till night but can't read one leaf of book in a day, that's a big shame.

AfricanApple my girl, Your comment looks retarded.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by chigozie391(m): 1:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
What you guys should understand is that the guy is no longer a prof...he was when he was younger...but now...He's ageing and so are his thoughts...
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Rooneyboy(m): 1:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
AfricanApple:
u seriously say d medium through which u read does not matter? shocked all I can say is hmmmm cos something is obvious here.

so u think Google has authentic answers to every questions uhn undecided

With the internet around our lecturers/Doctors/and professors can't deceive us anymore, these days they know we go back home to do our investigation/findings ...

A doctor tried one rubbish with me some months back ,i went home and consulted my best friend "google" , I came back to his office the following day educating him on the subject matter , I saw the shock written all over his face. A priceless expression on his face that day grin grin grin

This single act saved me from his knives, cos he was really agitating for a surgery.

.......... # I refuse to be a passive patient/ student

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
abdulwastecx:
In my 200 level, my engineering communication lecturer was accusing me of having a northern accent and not been able to pronounce some words properly. he told me that English language has made it possible for scientific principles to be expressed properly. The question I ask him then was why Japan with 127million people has produce several nobel prize winners in science and technology and can be boast of several world class infrastructure, engineering capability and third largest economy by speaking a japanese kanji language
Check those Japanese Nobel prize winners and how much materials they have in English before they were recognized. You just want to get silly because the Ligua Franca for Nigeria is English. Stop acting like a primitive person.

Gaijin are Japanese who haunt for foreigners who speak English. The fact that Japanese are progressing is not about language but with the efforts of foreigners as well. The Germans contributed to the technology Japan has today. Please, you are annoying to me by letting opportunity pass you by.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Rooneyboy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
AfricanApple:

so u think Google has authentic answers to every questions uhn undecided

What/Who is google

Let's take it up from here .
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by 3coins(m): 1:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
AfricanApple:
did u just write sis, hahaha
"sis" is in the dictionary,sis.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by herald9: 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Blakyclyde:

Bros, check inside dat locker wella.
I don dey find Akpan and The Smugglers, Chike and the River, the Tortoise and the Elepant since before Prof. Soyinka was born. If u see am, abeg, ping me.

I know sarcasm when I see one undecided
My locker doesn't contain such books...The first intriguing novel have ever read was gotten from there: MINE BOY BY ABRAHAM PETERS.... Then ROBOT OF DAWN BY WILLIAM ASIMOV...

It's not just made up of novels...Other life enhancing books are there like GOOD HEALTH AND LONGEVITY... DICTIONARY OF MIDWIFERY....HUMANS ANATOMY IN DIAGRAMS... etc

On the issue on ground,
When Richad Quest of CNN asks business men (on READING FOR LEADING) how they prefer to read--by Tablets of books, majority of them said books!
Even Oscar Onyema of the Nigerian Stock Exchange said he prefer books!

The prof has said it all, but that doesn't mean I should throw away my laptop sha.
The importance of books cannot be overemphasized...

But then we can't condemn the internet because some people find It's presence a threat to their career...

And by the way...The vision of a green world can be achieved by the reduction in the amount of trees cut down yearly...

@boldgrin cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Dahjhi:

Don't mind that baba.. He's old.. Just because students now challenges their same old methods and junk feedings.. We now asked dem questions they can't handle off hand... We are now councious of our environment and happenings , we are now growing with the space the global world is growing..
Baba with due respect you can now go and face your politics now self.. Eshe pupo..

My 5naira grin grin cheesy
You're misquoting the professor. Yes, the internet revolution has helped in some ways, it has its own negative side. Where else do people write in mnemonics if not in the internet. We have, for example, people who write "cos", "fget" and "cr8t" for "because", "forget" and "create" respectively. Can you do this in an examination? You answer will be "no." But do you know that some people now do it in the examination without knowing.
The internet is a blessing to this generation, but it shouldn't be misused. What positive impact do you think the internet has on a high school student that doesn't do more than 2going?
The way a person uses the internet is what would determine if the prof. is right or wrong. As for me, I do research, using it on facebook, nairaland, politics, etc. In doing anything here, I make sure I engage serious minded people whom I learn from. In commenting, I make sure I pay attention to my use of punctuation marks and expression.
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Dahjhi: 1:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

You're misquoting the professor. Yes, the internet revolution has helped in some ways, it has its own negative side. Where else do people write in mnemonics if not in the internet. We have, for example, people who write "cos", "fget" and "cr8t" for "because", "forget" and "create" respectively. Can you do this in an examination? You answer will be "no." But do you know that some people now do it in the examination without knowing.
The internet is a blessing to this generation, but it shouldn't be misused. What positive impact do you think the internet has on a high school student that doesn't do more than 2going?
The way a person uses the internet is what would determine if the prof. is right or wrong. As for me, I do research, using it on facebook, nairaland, politics, etc. In doing anything here, I make sure I engage serious minded people whom I learn from. In commenting, I make sure I pay attention to my use of punctuation marks and expression.
yes yes you are very right about the high school students
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Blakyclyde(m): 1:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

I know sarcasm when I see one undecided
My locker doesn't contain such books...The first intriguing novel have ever read was gotten from there: MINE BOY BY ABRAHAM PETERS.... Then ROBOT OF DAWN BY WILLIAM ASIMOV...

It's not just made up of novels...Other life enhancing books are there like GOOD HEALTH AND LONGEVITY... DICTIONARY OF MIDWIFERY....HUMANS ANATOMY IN DIAGRAMS... etc

The importance of books cannot be overemphasized...

But then we can't condemn the internet because some people find It's presence a threat to their career...

And by the way...The vision of a green world can be achieved by the reduction in the amount of trees cut down yearly...

@boldgrin cool
It wasn't a sacarsm, brother.
It was meant to be a joke.

Don't tell me you don't read books because you're trying to prevent the depletion of the ozone layer!

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by herald9: 1:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
Blakyclyde:

It wasn't a sacarsm, brother.
It was meant to be a joke.

Don't tell me you don't read books because you're trying to prevent the depletion of the ozone layer!
No no no

Not at all...

I read books

I read e-books!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by AfricanApple(f): 1:56pm On Nov 16, 2014
3coins:

"sis" is in the dictionary,sis.
ofcourse it is, but it doesn't change d fact dat its shortened for a word/name like bro, eff etc
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by AfricanApple(f): 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
Rooneyboy:

With the internet around our lecturers/Doctors/and professors can't deceive us anymore, these days they know we go back home to do our investigation/findings ...

A doctor tried one rubbish with me some months back ,i went home and consulted my best friend "google" , I came back to his office the following day educating him on the subject matter , I saw the shock written all over his face. A priceless expression on his face that day grin grin grin

This single act saved me from his knives, cos he was really agitating for a surgery.

.......... # I refuse to be a passive patient/ student
that's it na, u consult d internet and think u have known it all, grab a book and u will see u are just about to know more
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by dreezybines: 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
true
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by AfricanApple(f): 1:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
webninja:

AfricanApple my girl, Your comment looks retarded.
tell me why u think its low
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by musicwriter(m): 2:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
Soyinka certainly belong to the old-school writers who have issues with online book publishiing.

Contrary to his views, the internet actually give more power to whomever want to read. The internet makes you read more. Studying online have many advantages. You can make easy references, enlarge words, e.t.c.

I'm reading and replying this from a mobile device; something that would have been impossible in the 80's. What is he even saying?
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by AfricanApple(f): 2:04pm On Nov 16, 2014
Rooneyboy:

Stop spewing rubbish dear , the positives of the internet out muscles the negatives.

Ur argument holds no water @all.
POC, my opinion is not rubbish.
d prof said d truth and u are all vibrating. d truth is indeed bitter

as a matter of fact, measuring d positivity and negativity depends on what u are using d net for.

for communication, d positivity outweighs d neg

but for info, d neg outweighs d pos

becos d prof hit d nail on d head, he is suddenly wrong, na wa o

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Gorrbachev: 2:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
Special Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on Inter Party Affairs, Senator Ben Ndi Obi, who endowed the Zik lecture series, said the project was started three years ago to immortalize Nigeria’s first President, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe in whom the school was named.

WTF does the bold mean?
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Blakyclyde(m): 2:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
herald9:

No no no

Not at all...

I read books

I read e-books!

Now you're talking!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by LordReed(m): 2:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
darne:
This man has a very strong point, i am hoping to become a writer/novelist someday too smiley smiley

Have you or Soyinka ever heard of ebooks?
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Talius(m): 2:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
Mr. Whole Soyinka

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
please spare a minute and visit www.trendsnaija.com
=======================================

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Ybholy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
Glo 300GB Cheat For One Year is Out Now!

Glo Unlimited November Cheat is here again. Dont miss this one out if you are still in Nigeria.

● Think of browsing TDB (Till Day Break).

● Think of chatting with her till eternity .

● Think of sending her unlimited whatsapp messages all the year round.

● What else will you think of with it :- Streaming ? Uploading Youtube Videos ? Sending Images To her ? Posting on Your Website ?
Lols !

Get The Activation Code Now - http://.com/2014/11/16/glo-300gb-cheat-one-year-now-dont-miss/
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by LordReed(m): 2:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
AfricanApple:
POV, my opinion is not rubbish.
d prof said d truth and u are all vibrating. d truth is indeed bitter

as a matter of fact, measuring d positivity and negativity depends on what u are using d net for.

for communication, d positivity outweighs d neg

but for info, d neg outweighs d pos

becos d prof hit d nail on d head, he is suddenly wrong, na wa o

Please explain how the fact that we can now access more information than is available in your physical vicinity is negative.

The prof got it wrong big time.

1 Like

Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2014
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
blink182:
Obviously, professor has been left behind. Writing and reading has even improved with technology and technology will make education cheap.

Exactly!
Re: Internet Revolution Can Destroy Scholarship - Soyinka by sod09(m): 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2014
pls tell dis cultist to keep quiet....so d cult he invented is d one promoting scholarship abi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How I Clean Off Dirt From My Body System Regularly (pictures) / My NECO Result Not Released Because Of 'Debt'. Please Help / Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.