Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. (32062 Views)

Stolen Bag Of Oxford University Professor Recovered At A Bus Stop In Lagos.PICS / Emily Alemika: First Female Professor Of Law From Kogi State / Professor Of Philosophy Laid-in-state In His House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 20, 2015
Prof. Wole Soyinka has lost the race to be Oxford’s Professor of poetry to British poet, Simon Armitage.

Armitage, a popular poet and broadcaster, secured 1,221 votes – 301 more than his closest rival, Wole Soyinka.

Armitage was backed by 58 names, including John Carey and Melvyn Bragg. Bragg had previously supported Soyinka, but later publicly switched his allegiance to Armitage, saying the 80-year-old might not “bother to come to Oxford” if he were to win.

He said Soyinka, a US-based Nigerian who turns 81 next month, “has not written much poetry recently and I now wonder how often he would bother to come to Oxford. Soyinka is a grand man and would regard it as a grand post. I also query his age.”

Soyinka had hit back, saying: “How curious that anyone would even speculate that I would allow busy and committed people – friends, colleagues and total strangers – to waste their time nominating and campaigning on my behalf for such a prestigious position if I were not serious about contesting.”

Soyinka initially led the way with the most nominations in the early stage of the election. Candidates need to be nominated by at least 50 Oxford graduates and Soyinka had more than 90 nods.

Armitage will be expected to deliver one public lecture per term, facilitating the “art of poetry in the university” with a salary of £12,000 a year.

Source : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/oxfords-professor-of-poetry-wole-soyinka-loses-race-to-british-poet-simon-armitage/

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by adioolayi(m): 10:25am On Jun 20, 2015
Nice try our own Prof..getting nominated is an achievement...May you live long to witness more milestones

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Crieff(m): 10:27am On Jun 20, 2015
Haba Bragg!

How did you know he will not come to Oxford?

9 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by hidee20(m): 10:28am On Jun 20, 2015
Won ti tojoro bo......na politricks be dat o...

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by OneNigeria44(m): 10:30am On Jun 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 20, 2015
Prof. Wole Soyinka.
The great poet... You are a true legend! An embodiment of rare knowledge.
DankemzI:
Wole Soyinka the great founder of Cultism grin
Dimwit, Prof. Wole Soyinka founded a humanitarian cause comprising of 7 members, that help render selfless help to people. Then more members wanted to troop in but they were dispatched and that was the genesis of these cult sects... Group of individuals gathered together in groups, bearing different names and of course different purposes, so this negates your assertion.

14 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Maxymilliano(m): 10:33am On Jun 20, 2015
Soyinka is more of a biase social commentator than a poet, thus the news doesn't come as a surprise ...

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by espn(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2015
Bias? For criticising the inefficiency of a failed government and its nation.. we hate the truth!

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by worldgee101: 11:05am On Jun 20, 2015
Dat's a prof.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by omanifrank(m): 11:07am On Jun 20, 2015
oh
Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by efilefun(m): 11:07am On Jun 20, 2015
shocked

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by DankemzI(m): 11:07am On Jun 20, 2015
O Africa I weep for thee!
Why is it that Nigeria's best Brains are based outside the Country/Continent Why Why Why
Is it that we don't have what it takes to refine this raw talents?
Wole Soyinka the great founder of Cultism grin
Mention me and die of low sperm count

12 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Pavore9: 11:08am On Jun 20, 2015
Dnarvaez:
Prof. Wole Soyinka.
The great poet... Your memories lives on!

Has he passed on?

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:08am On Jun 20, 2015
eh ya
Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Kokolett(f): 11:08am On Jun 20, 2015
Eiyaa cry
Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by lexan1(m): 11:08am On Jun 20, 2015
To be honest, wole soyinka's books are overrated, i'm not hating, i'm just saying Nigerians should really read books to know that his books are overrated

45 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by leofabulous(m): 11:09am On Jun 20, 2015
Change effects.

Amadioha spoken
Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by wioelop: 11:09am On Jun 20, 2015
lexan1:
To be honest, wole soyinka's books are overrated, i'm not hating, i'm just saying Nigerians should really read books to know that his books are overrated

Hater!

29 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by doreenvee(f): 11:09am On Jun 20, 2015
We live not to win all our races. Kudos prof.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 20, 2015
He was busy frolicking with Amaechi why lobbying was going on in Oxford

30 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by cyprus000: 11:09am On Jun 20, 2015
Maxymilliano:
Soyinka is[b] more of a biase social commentator[/b] than a poet, thus the news doesn't come as a surprise ...
[size=13pt]
And what makes him biase?

Is it bcs he doesn't share same sentiments as your's
[/size]

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by ajbabs(m): 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
Mr Wole Soyinka (a retired University Professor) is only popular more in Nigeria only. Mr Soyinka books are overrated.

23 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
I had the premonition,

he didn't act as if he was interested when he was being nominated.

He was busy commissioning Oduduwa drum with Aregberascal.

Fighting Patience Jonathan when he was supposed to be writing poetry

Reading books with Amaechi while he was supposed to be writing

The list goes on

23 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by leofabulous(m): 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
Eiyyyaa

Pele.
Shoroniyen?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by UnknownT: 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
We still need him in Nigeria as a social commentator in this new government

13 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
lexan1:

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by hucienda: 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
ehya... better luck next time Prof.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. by laurel03(m): 11:10am On Jun 20, 2015
Wole Soyinka..... Leave dr oxford 4 dem jare....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Federal University Oye Ekiti 2012/2013 Admission / What Subject Made You Feel Like This When You Were In School? / Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Examination Sample Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.