Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb (5739 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Revive The Habit Of Self-sufficiency- For Every Nigerian Woman/girl / How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
Now this is not scientifically proven or anything but they are practical steps my wife and I took to end our children sucking their thumbs.

Maybe due to a voracious appetite or hereditary, I discovered both of my children sucked their thumbs at ages below 1 year.

For the first child, when the child was about a year and 2 month, we simply plastered the thumb. Every time the child made effort to suck, the thumb just did not appear the same again. After leaving the plaster on for just a week, the child stopped sucking completely. The same thing with the second child.

My thinking is that the "procedure" should only be carried at a few months around age one. At a latter age, the child will be too wise and will simply pull the plaster off and suck. At a younger age, the child may not be able to tell the difference but simply suck both plaster and thumb!

Do you agree with this hypothesis? Have you done something similar? Let's hear you.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 9:54pm On Nov 16, 2014
Our son sucked his thumb around the age you described above. Somehow he stopped the act a few months later.

Our daughter, Sophie, has just started sucking her thumb. It seems these kids derive some joy or relief from this habit. She is a few days above 3 months, but I think I will also deploy this procedure along the line.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by tobechi74: 10:02pm On Nov 16, 2014
Rub pepper on the hand
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 10:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
tobechi74:
Rub pepper on the hand

Haba! For a baby? That's extreme.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by coolmoon500(f): 10:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
tobechi74:
Rub pepper on the hand

Few yrs back, I wanted to stop this problem wit one of my baby cousins. She was abt 3yrs old and would suck endlessly. I rubbed nivaquine syrup all over her thumb. The first day,i was on close watch and as she tried sucking,she quickly pulled it out and frowned terribly.i laughed.

She waited for 2 mins and put it bak in her mouth and kept sucking it. I tried it for 2 days and wen it didnt stop her,i gave up. Shes a lot older now and has dropped the habit.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 16, 2014
dein77:

it is, but it works. My cousin tried that on her child and she stopped. We even used the hot feelings he got to make him stop completely. We told him that the hot feeling was because he sucked his tumb. But he was four, i think that was why it worked.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by kristonium(m): 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2014
rub bitter leave and come and thank me later!
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
Use bitter leaf or Cameron pepper to do the magic , thank me lera
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 1:22am On Nov 17, 2014
tobechi74:
Rub pepper on the hand

These pepper, salt, etc, are rather extreme for children don't you think? I suggested the plaster solution bc it is so simple and it works.

And obviously it shows that the time to effect this corrective measure is also vital: not too old and not so young. About that one year is just perfect.

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 2:33pm On Nov 17, 2014
dein77:

My point exactly.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 5:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

My point exactly.

Yeah. Moderation is the key. We must be careful not to harm our kids as we try to stop what is considered a harmless habit in them.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by smokescreen4: 5:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
dein77:

Yeah. Moderation is the key. We must be careful not to harm our kids as we try to stop what is considered a harmless habit in them.
So you're married with kids? Good to know.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 5:19pm On Nov 17, 2014
smokescreen4:
So you're married with kids? Good to know.

Yes. Happily.

Just dedicated my second baby earlier this month.

I'm learning everyday.

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 17, 2014
Get a pacifier for your kids. Put it in their mouth to suck on.It calms them down and you can stop them at later stage by taking away the pacifier.

I think they sell them in big pharmacy shops. Better than them sucking on fingers.

Pic
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 5:56pm On Nov 17, 2014
dein77:

The funny twist to this matter is that our second child whom we are carrying this procedure out on, who precipitated the thread, did not allow us to sleep yesternight as he screamed for his thumb. We had to buckle and removed the plaster. But trust, it's back on again today and no matter the cry this time, nothing is removing it.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2014
saucechilli:
Get a pacifier for your kids. Put it in their mouth to suck on.It calms them down and you can stop them at later stage by taking away the pacifier.

I think they sell them in big pharmacy shops. Better than them sucking on fingers.

Pic

That's true. A pacifier.

But my wife has a thing against it. She claims it causes the front tooth to protrude.

How true is it?
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 6:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

The funny twist to this matter is that our second child whom we are carrying this procedure out on, who precipitated the thread, did not allow us to sleep yesternight as he screamed for his thumb. We had to buckle and removed the plaster. But trust, it's back on again today and no matter the cry this time, nothing is removing it.

hahhahaah. Smart kids. They can blackmail parents with their tears.

2 Likes

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by SAMBARRY: 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
My baby sucks and she's learning to stop when I put plaster on her thumb and lace it with bitter leaf water. Her gumshion has told her to stop wink
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 6:18pm On Nov 17, 2014
SAMBARRY:
My baby sucks and she's learning to stop when I put plaster on her thumb and lace it with bitter leaf water. Her gumshion has told her to stop wink

That's good. But I don't think the bitter leaf is necessary. These kids know the thumb they suck well enough. Any little distortion to the surface area will discourage them sucking.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Lizboh(f): 6:19pm On Nov 17, 2014
The plasta stuff did not work for my 2yrs girl, each time i plaster her tumb, she will switch to another one
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by SAMBARRY: 6:21pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

That's good. But I don't think the bitter leaf is necessary. These kids know the thumb they suck well enough. Any little distortion to the surface area will discourage them sucking.
she's learning fast. Thumb sacking sef distorts the teeth and that's why you see some adults that their teeth will push out like kangaroo own

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
Lizboh:
The plasta stuff did not work for my 2yrs girl, each time i plaster her tumb, she will switch to another one

This is exactly what I feared. If the "exorcism", permit I use that word, is not carried our early enough, the child will grow wiser than the very simple plaster procedure. The plaster thing might work only for one year olds, I think. Anything older might require more severe actions to stop them sucking.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by smokescreen4: 7:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
dein77:

Yes. Happily.

Just dedicated my second baby earlier this month.

I'm learning everyday.
May God bless your home.Op my son is 1year 7months he still sucks his thumb.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 7:12pm On Nov 17, 2014
smokescreen4:

Try the Plaster Solution. lol.

I hope he is not too wise for it now though.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 7:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
Lizboh:

Ur baby na adult na! She's very wise.

1 Like

Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by dein77(m): 7:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
smokescreen4:

Bless yours too...
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Pavore9: 8:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
My sister who is getting married soon was controlled with juice from fresh bitter leaf which was ever available in our compound while growing up, she would suck & suck while staring into space, you would have thought her spirit was somewhere else!
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

That's true. A pacifier.

But my wife has a thing against it. She claims it causes the front tooth to protrude.

How true is it?

yes, the teeth protrude for some, same as the thumb sucking. It even damages the thumb.
The pacifier should be introduced early, then gradually reduced when the baby starts adapting maybe a teddy bear for comfort.

some use a piece of clothe.
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by apeleone(f): 8:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
How do I stop a 3yr plus child cos. I ve tried everytin(plaster,bitter leaf,pepper) wen she was less than a year n it didn't work?
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by roWzayy: 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

That's true. A pacifier.

How true is it?
so I was told by a lady dat said her aunt baby had a protruding tooth because of pacifier ever since I have been skeptical about buying it for my baby#
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by Lizboh(f): 9:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

This is exactly what I feared. If the "exorcism", permit I use that word, is not carried our early enough, the child will grow wiser than the very simple plaster procedure. The plaster thing might work only for one year olds, I think. Anything older might require more severe actions to stop them sucking.

Pls state the next severe action dt can b taken
Re: How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb by WinsomeX: 11:31pm On Nov 17, 2014
Lizboh:

Pls state the next severe action dt can b taken

I can't say authoritatively. Children differ. But from posts here we can see people employing all sorts of things to stop it. My younger brothers, now in their thirties, sucked their thumbs till they were 10. They only stooped when it was clear to them that it was socially unacceptable to suck your thumb. We did everything, including the ones mentioned here, to stop them but to no avail. Maybe the plaster thing could have just ended it early enough if it was used when they were about one. So severe will vary and I use severe in comparison to the very simple plaster procedure which I think works like magic at about 1 year old.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Good Family Planning For My Family: Please Advise / My Neighbours Have Seen My Wife's Unclad Body Twice!!! / My Monthly Income And Expenditure Please I Need Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.