Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,544 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie (4998 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
I saw a GT6 (unknown vintage) at University of Ibadan around 1980 (when Nigeria was still good and unbroken, IMHO) and it was total love at first sight. It was RHD and owned by someone on campus who brought it back with him from the UK. I was driving my Dads old Volvo 240 then and the owner of the GT6 allowed me to sit inside.

Ever since I came to the US getting one to restore has always eluded me though it stayed on my bucket list.

I found this one a month or so ago and locked in a battle of wits with the seller over pricing. As a confirmed Ijebu Man proper I waited him out and finally got him down to a reasonable level and I had it brought home on Saturday night. So the first official date of the refurbishment is Sunday November 16th, 2014.

Rust is the worst thing anyone can deal with when restoring any car. British cars of that era are even delivered with surface rusts from the factory, that's how bad they get. So when selecting cars to restore I always choose a sound body over mechanical s as I can rebuild the mechanicals or replace them but I cannot do bodywork. I wish I could though and I have actually applied as an apprentice to a renowned retired autoist that does impeccable restorations.

So the plan for this guy is not to make it a show car level. Just a decent and dependable daily driver. It will have bullet proof mechanicals and a race car interior with all new leather seats, dashboard, etc

So these are the types of things that I do that allows me to collect the tools tha I shared on teh tool thread. I have those tools because I use them. I do a little bit more than oil changes and changing light bulbs grin

Pic #1 is how she sat at sellers house. She had been sitting there since 1992.

Pic #2 is same

Pic #3 is the interior. This will all be gutted. The dashboard will be different with racing gauges, the interior will be all leather.

Pic #4 the first purchase was tires since he old ones were all screwed up. I needed to be able to roll it around my garage. 10 inch tires from Austin Mini to the 13" tires that she uses.

Her name is now Tessie, used to be Cassie.

1 Like

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2014
Pic #1 2.0 liter 6 in line with dual carbs. I'm hoping the engine will still have good compression. If not then a rebuild and addition of a turbo unit.

Pic #2 Front suspension. I have some ideas on the suspension that involves hydraulics.

Pic #3 Even after sitting in the elements since 1990's a quick wax brought out the color.

Pic #4 What she might look like if I decided to repaint her.

You can follow her progress at [url]QuickSilver.VillageHeadMaster.Com[/url]

2 Likes

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 17, 2014
Nice project lots of work to be done in the interior can't wait to see how it turns out. Do you do all the work alone? No extra hands?
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
cne010:
Nice project lots of work to be done in the interior can't wait to see how it turns out. Do you do all the work alone? No extra hands?

It's actually quite simple to do the interior. That part I will farm out to a shop after it's running.

I don't do bodywork or painting so everything else is me. My Wife helps on things that require two people, for example we removed the hood (which includes the fenders) together last night.
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Homguy(m): 11:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
Lucky you! Most wives won't come a mile close to that car in any guise. I can only imagine how a driver would feel if this ride trounced him in his last decade,state-of-art toy. Some might go on a suicide mission,you know. grin . All the best with your resurrection project.

2 Likes

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 18, 2014
i love this smiley
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 18, 2014
Homguy:
Lucky you! Most wives won't come a mile close to that car in any guise. I can only imagine how a driver would feel if this ride trounced him in his last decade,state-of-art toy. Some might go on a suicide mission,you know. grin . All the best with your resurrection project.

This is my third marriage and I've learned over the years so I am a seasoned veteran.

My advice to folks is to never marry someone who doesn't share or at least have an interest in your passion. It makes life just so easy.

If not for my Wife's insistence I was ready to blow off this seller due to his shenanigans. I'm lucky to have her.

7 Likes

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:35am On Nov 18, 2014
I envy your package cityng, to find a michelle rodriguez kind of wife no easy o!, the only disadvantage is if you quarrel make sure the garage is properly locked before tools are used as weapons (blow torch tins) grin

Back to the topic, cassie has a lot of potential and should come out looking stunning after a lot of work, you mentioned something about re-building the engine if there was no compression, do you use generic parts for the re-build? Or are there still OEM parts available in the market for the rebuild?

Mean while I see say no be only for naija dem de take nylon take cover brake oil container. grin

Nice work city I'm following this thread.

3 Likes

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 5:02am On Nov 18, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
I envy your package cityng, to find a michelle rodriguez kind of wife no easy o!, the only disadvantage is if you quarrel make sure the garage is properly locked before tools are used as weapons (blow torch tins) grin

Back to the topic, cassie has a lot of potential and should come out looking stunning after a lot of work, you mentioned something about re-building the engine if there was no compression, do you use generic parts for the re-build? Or are there still OEM parts available in the market for the rebuild?

Mean while I see say no be only for naija dem de take nylon take cover brake oil container. grin

Nah she won't have to use auto tools when there's a few Glocks and rifles laying around the house grin

You can find every single part either here in the USA or across the pond in UK. The classic car market is very serious in the US.
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 18, 2014
Pic 1: Another addition to the tool section.
Pic 2: Preferably before you store car for a lengthy period you will add this to the cylinder so that the rings will not "weld" itself to the cylinder walls. I doubt the previous owners did this. I removed the spark plugs and added the Marvel Mystery Oil to the cylinders. I will let it soak in for two full days before I slowly and gently turn the crankshaft as I add even more oil. What this guarantees is lubing the cylinder as well as a heavy dose of smoke when it finally starts grin
Pic 3: Spark plugs always have a story to tell. This tells me that the engine is actually quite good, not burning oil but sooty from bad carburetor mixture
Pic 4: I will not use a regular acid filled battery but a smaller race type gel battery.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 18, 2014
I don vex wit dis I am doing my own too on a V-boot cityng u hav inspired me
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2014
We inspire each other my Brother.

Remember that you can order any part you want from the US and just ship it to ChinoSXL who will get it to Nigeria and even arrange to your doorstep in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by DisGuy: 2:39pm On Nov 18, 2014
what a beauty!!!
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by mayor2013: 8:32am On Nov 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Mean while I see say no be only for naija dem de take nylon take cover brake

D grin. No be for only naija dem dey covers the brake oil comtainer with nylon
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Readonee35L(m): 10:28am On Nov 19, 2014
Wow...
Nice thread with Detailed Steps and a Very Very Good project
@CityNG
Hoping to see Ur New Updates
*Smiles*

1 Like

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
Though I will post updates on here but the main web page for this task is at http://quicksilvercars.villageheadmaster.com/sample-page/1960s/1969-triumph-gt6-2/

I ordered a few manuals from the web, oil filters and shop equipments such as mechanic seats and four car dollies to aid in moving her around.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by 234CustomCars: 2:35am On Nov 20, 2014
Random question, you found a GT6 in the U.S ?? If so WHERE ? or is this project happening in Ibadan ?
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 20, 2014
234CustomCars:
Random question, you found a GT6 in the U.S ?? If so WHERE ? or is this project happening in Ibadan ?

In the US, they're actually not uncommon here but are rather pricey.
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 20, 2014
I like this interior.

Minus the roll cage and adding real leather to the seats.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 20, 2014
Video of me moving the car around on car dollies.

Nairaland alternative lifestyle guys make una no dey look my yansh o grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIS2wND4nE
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by brojero: 5:43pm On Nov 20, 2014
I see you've bought a Haynes Manual, you've got every thing you need regarding mechanical info right there wink
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
brojero:
I see you've bought a Haynes Manual, you've got every thing you need regarding mechanical info right there wink

And I joined a dedicated forum for Triumphs also, those guys are very helpful.
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Piyke: 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
Reporting for class!!! Hope I'm not too late. CityNG you still dey add to the arsenal grin Watched the video of the dollies...looks nice to push your car around grin
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 21, 2014
Piyke:
Reporting for class!!! Hope I'm not too late. CityNG you still dey add to the arsenal grin Watched the video of the dollies...looks nice to push your car around grin

I love working on cars and I'm up for any tool that makes it more fun and easier grin
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Homguy(m): 10:55pm On Nov 22, 2014
CityNG:

This is my third marriage and I've learned over the years so I am a seasoned veteran.

My advice to folks is to never marry someone who doesn't share or at least have an interest in your passion. It makes life just so easy.

If not for my Wife's insistence I was ready to blow off this seller due to his shenanigans. I'm lucky to have her.
Whoa! This post uplifted me, being feeling a tit down after a long Time relationship broke up. I aint married yet, but I hope to learn as much as I can before walking down any aisle. Thanks for that tip,sir.

1 Like

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 23, 2014
Continued to clean the shell and worked no the engine.

1) Bought the wrong oil filter. It uses the old canister type so I'm using the opportunity to convert to a modern spin oil filter instead.

2) Found a nasty piece of rust but found the replacement panel on eBay - there's nothing you need that you can't find for this car.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 24, 2014
This weekend I started tackling two systems.

Ignition and Wiring
1) Made my own custom set of battery cables.
2) I found a new ignition switch in my old stock.

Fuel
3) I need to order this part to install the fuel tank. I need to learn how to make this.
4) I'll be replacing every single inch of tubing for safety and realiability.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 2:43am On Nov 24, 2014
1) Hey at least something is shiny grin

2) On long term projects like this it pays to dutifully separate and label stuff. This is my method.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by toxiflam: 7:22am On Nov 24, 2014
Ride on sir, when I grow up I hope to be like you, sir.

1 Like

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 27, 2014
Pic #1 Changing from the old messy canister oil filter to a modern spin on filter.
Pic #2 Got a few more bob and bits in.

Worked on deleting the heater from the car. Removed the heater core from the inside and any plumbing that has to do with the heater from the engine bay.

Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by BALLERON(m): 9:14am On Nov 27, 2014
Nice work, bookmarked
Re: CityNG - 1969 Triumph GT6+ Project - Tessie by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 27, 2014
Pic 1: I think this engine had a water issue so I'm replacing all the gaskets. This picture is after I removed the water pump housing. It will get all new gaskets.

Pic 2: It's rather interesting to remember that this is a 60's technology. They actually have a tap to drain coolant water from the engine block. This will make flushing the cooling system much easier.

Pic 3: The steering boots will get replaced. The steering rack is a bit pricy so I wan't to preserve it though I wish to convert to right hand drive in the future.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Brilliance Of The Toyota Pencil Light / My Fuel Tank Vomits Fuel While Filling / Procure Fake Number Plate, & Be Jailed –FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.