Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,546 members, 7,850,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al (1105 Views)

Government Working On Petroleum Pump Price Reduction — Osinbajo / NNPC Denies Reports On Fuel Pump Price Reduction / Gbenga Adeyinka Mocks Jonathan Over N10 Fuel Price Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by Lionize: 10:51am On Nov 18, 2014
First, permit me to post this on this section, for my intention of posting it to Business section was not welcome. Moderators are free to move it to the right section.

So much fuss about the reduction in cement price.
I want to ask the following questions:
1. Is there a reduction in quality of the cement produced? (users will confirm to us)
2. Are the manufacturers still making profit?

If the answer to question 1 above is yes, then we shouldn’t rejoice yet.
And, if the answer to question 1 is No, and 2 is yes, then we need to ask other questions.
1. Does it mean these manufacturers were making more that 100% profit before now?
2. What actually prompted the reduction now?

Not long ago, I understood the price of different brands of cement varied by a little fraction.

People lamented that Dangote was monopolizing the market, but, in my opinion, little was actually done to break this monopoly.

Remember when NITEL told us it wasn’t possible to acquire a telephone line as urgently as needed? it became possible when other telecom companies came on-board and told a different story.

Remember when MTN told us per second billing was not possible? It became possible after Glo told us otherwise.

Remember when, after their mathematics, telecom companies told us calls cannot fall below N12/minute? Well, not too long afterwards, now we make calls at N6/minute and less. And on and on.

My point:
For some years, even after Goodluck stated that the price of cement would fall, the price of cement soared. Now, Dangote has taken the lead, and others are trailing. Why couldn’t these other companies have taken the lead, at least as a means of competing with Dangote.

Some people have an attachment to people who make things reachable to them, sometimes. For instance, Dangote cement would become a preferred brand to some Nigerians, just because they feel he lowered the price of cement first.

In summary, I’m of the opinion that: when doing business, be careful what you make people believe initially because it may backfire.
Imagine one of these companies having said earlier that it was not POSSIBLE to reduce the price of cement, and now the same company has reduced the price.
Nigeria must be a better place to inhabit.
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by chemvic: 11:22am On Nov 18, 2014
Nothing was reduced, over here in kwara even at dangote depots cement still sells for 1800 per bag for 42.5 grade of cement. So its all story for the gods
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by obailala(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2014
chemvic:
Nothing was reduced, over here in kwara even at dangote depots cement still sells for 1800 per bag for 42.5 grade of cement. So its all story for the gods
Are you serious about this?... That's terrible
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by hardywaltz(m): 11:26am On Nov 18, 2014
Price of cement is still the same around N1,600/bag
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by ruffhandu: 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
hardywaltz:
Price of cement is still the same around N1,600/bag

I think it rose to N2000+, in some places perhaps, at a time. If it is N1,600, then is has reduced for some people.
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by Akpaife(m): 1:50pm On Nov 18, 2014
Na only God will save us 4 ds country d kind lie wey piple dey lie na be small tin
Price of cement 1000 bt go where them r sellIng it d price still remain d same 1800 who is fooling who?
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by Lionize: 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2014
Akpaife:
Na only God will save us 4 ds country d kind lie wey piple dey lie na be small tin
Price of cement 1000 bt go where them r sellIng it d price still remain d same 1800 who is fooling who?

Too bad. I am wondering what they aim to achieve by that.
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by Demdem(m): 2:38pm On Jan 14, 2015
The reduction in price was just a political jimmick.
As at this morning here in Ph, cement is 2000 per bag.
Re: Cement Price Reduction - Dangote Et Al by Lionize: 8:26pm On Jan 25, 2015
Demdem:
The reduction in price was just a political jimmick.
As at this morning here in Ph, cement is 2000 per bag.

Political nonsense indeed. This country!

(1) (Reply)

Advance Towards The Niger …childhood Memoir Of The Nigerian Civil War / Enugu 2015: Gov. Chime Denies Planning To Join Apga / A Passage Taken From Obasanjo's Latest Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.