Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Help With Ogbonna Soup. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help With Ogbonna Soup. (3922 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Please Help With White Soup Recipe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Ogbonna Soup. by ogbeisioma: 8:59am On Nov 26, 2008
HELLO NAIRALANDERS,
PLEASE CAN ANYONE IN THE HOUSE GIVE ME DETAILS ON HOW TO GO ABOUT COOKING A DELICIOUS OGBONNA SOUP? I'M IN NIGERIA AND CAN GET ALL THAT WILL BE PRESCRIBED AS THE RECIPE. THANKS.
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by tosinadeda: 11:16am On Nov 26, 2008
gas cooker,pot,serving spoon, salt, water, maggi, pepper, onions, the cooker grin
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by adekennis(m): 12:08pm On Nov 26, 2008
gas cooker,
wat if the poster dey liv for village nko or he can not afford
to buy gas cooker undecided tongue
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by MrCrackles(m): 12:09pm On Nov 26, 2008
Dont waste your time because you are most likely going to be useless

Just go to the nearest BUKA!
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by tosinadeda: 12:37pm On Nov 26, 2008
I
MrCrackles:

don't waste your time because you are most likely going to be useless

Just go to the nearest BUKA!
i cconcur
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by tomX1(m): 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2008
There are several ways of going about making Ogbono soup. Ogbono soup also has so many combinations (with fresh okro, or dried okro, or egusi, etc) and the choice of ingridients can vary. You may also prepare it with leaves (such as ugwu) or without.

I will give an outline on how to prepare one variant of it using only some of the most basic ingridients. Feel free to experiment when you get the hang of it.

List of Ingridients:
Ogbolo - grinded with or without oil
Palm oil
Dried fish
Beef cuts
Pepper - dried and grinded
onions
salt
maggi or any prefered seasoning cubes
A whisk (you could use your desert spoon. it's not quite as effective though).

Put your meat in a pot and add water, salt, pepper, seasoning cubes, onions etc. Let it cook until the meat is just done but not too soft. Remove the meat (you will add it back in later).

If your ogbolo is the dry-grind type put a desert spoon full of it in a bowl and disolve it in about four desert spoon full of hot water and be sure to mash in all the lumps (with this procedure you will not need a whisk).

If your ogbolo is grinded with palm oil to form a paste, you will be needing a whisk when you introduce it into your soup.

Let the pot of broth (meat water) boil on on the cooker as you introduce your ogbolo into it. Continue ti stir/whisk until the ogbolo becomes homogeneous with the broth. The thickness will depend on how much ogbolo you used.

You will need to keep stirring the soup every now and again so that it will not begin to burn. Put your meat cuts back in the soup. Measure about half a desert spoon of palm oil and strir it into the soup. If you are using vegetable leafs (like ugwu, or bitter-leaf) this will be a good time to add it to the soup. Stir in any additional ingredient like dried fish, etc. Add any extra salt or seasoning to taste. Let the soup cook for about 10 more minutes (or however much longer it takes the added ingridients to get well cooked.

Please do not cover the pot after addind the ogbolo to the broth. The pot shpild remain open until the soup is done. This will prevent condensed moisture from seeping back into the soup and thining it out. Even when the soup is done, Leave the pot open or half open until the temprature is just warm before covering and refrigirating.

Please make sure the taste of the seasoning is just a little less than your desired optimal (if you intend to eat the soup over several days). This is because the seasoning in the soup tends to become more concentrated each time you warm up the soup since moisture will evaporate from the soup. It will end up tasting saltier and more seasoned than it did on the first day. Do not add water to it when you warm it up subsequently.

This is just a rough directive. If you go through the first thread on this board you are bound to find something more comprehensive from some of the more seasoned cooks on the forum.

Good luck
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by tpia: 11:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by syphillis: 1:43am On Dec 10, 2008
tpia:

nice.

I normally scald the ogbono with hot palm oil before adding it to the stock, but my mom also uses your method here (when she visits). Dissolving the ogbono then simply adding it to the stew.

besides, scalding it can also be a fire hazard.

am feeling hungry sha.

same here
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by diggler(m): 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2008
grin

The poster wants help with Ogbonna Soup

Ogbonna na pesin name
So all those that contributed are as at this moment Accessories to Murder. grin grin
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by tehigal: 4:28pm On Jun 08, 2011
weldone tomx,i sugguest u add a little of okoro to it that is if it digests well for the eater.it comes out really great!Bon apetti
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2011
Ingredient
1/3 cup dried/bleneded apon/ogono
1/4 cup palm oil
2 cups water
Choice or meat and fish (precooked)
2 cubes Knor ( bullion cubes)
salt to taste
1 Tspn dried pepper
3 Tspns blended crayfish

Direction

Set a medium sized pot on medium heat, add in the palm oil. once the oil begings to smoke, add in the dired ogbonon. with a cooking spoon, continusly stir the mixture until you have a smooth paste
Add in the water bits at a time and continoulsly stir, the mixture will get thicker as you stir. continue until you have incoporated all the water ( the consistency of the soup should be "drawy"wink
Add in the precooked meat, Knor cubes, pepper, craysfish and salt. combine
simmer for 4-6 minutes more
Recipe from http://littlemissgastronome..com/2011/05/ogbonon-apon.html

Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by armyofone(m): 5:58pm On Jun 08, 2011
that pix make me kiss oh Lordy Lordy! i miss ogbono soup. nothing like hot ogbono soup with hot akpu, pounded yam, semovita or hot yellow garri eba.
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by ChichiAda: 12:59pm On Jun 16, 2011
i am about to get married to an Anambran and i am from owerri. Please housemate can anyone give me a recipes on how to prepare their native soups like the palm kernel soup (ofe aku) etc, i will aprreciate your quick response to this.
Re: Help With Ogbonna Soup. by dustydee: 3:00pm On Jun 16, 2011
I don't like the sight of Ogbono but I like the taste.

(1) (Reply)

A Wedding Cake Looks Like The Bride. Amazing!!! (photo) / Kwuli Kwuli Lovers / How To Cook Ewa Adalu: Corn And Beans; I Bet Some People Can Relate With This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.