Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe (538 Views)

Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals / Court Orders Efcc To Pay N50.8m To Senator / Court Orders Efcc To Pay N50.8m To Senator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by bidexmat(m): 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2014
PoliceMan Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe

A commercial bus driver who refused to offer a bribe to a police officer is battling for his life after the officer shot him in anger.

For daring to refuse tipping a police officer attached to the Federal Highway Patrol the paltry sum of N50, a commercial bus driver, Umaru Bayi, is battling for his life at the University Teaching Hospital, Ibadan, after he was allegedly shot in the pelvic by the angry officer and left for dead.

The driver who was coming to Lagos from Jos, the Plateau State capital, according to passengers in the ill-fated vehicle, was accosted by the police patrol team with the number plate on their van NPF 6843, on duty along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway at around 1pm on Monday, November 11 and in the process of cross-checking the particulars of the vehicle, a brief argument ensued when it came to dropping the said bribe.

A witness reported the incident thus:

After stopping the bus, the unidentified policeman reportedly demanded a N50 bribe from the driver, but the driver said he only had N1,000 notes.

The driver had also asked his passengers to assist him with a N50 note to pay the bribe demanded, but none of the passengers had it.

Following the vain search, the driver had offered his N1,000 note to the policeman and asked for 'change'.

But the policeman reacted with anger, asking 'should I be looking for change for you?'

The insolence of the driver was seen as an affront on the 'gallant' officer who then ordered the driver down from the bus. The driver was still arguing when the apparently drunk officer suddenly cocked his gun and allegedly shot the driver in the pelvic area.

When the other officer saw that their colleague had shot the driver, they summoned on him to enter their van and they escaped from the scene, leaving concerned citizens to rush the badly injured driver to the hospital.

According to reports from the hospital where Umaru is currently on admission, he is said to be in a critical condition.

Re: Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by remsonik(f): 1:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
Nigerian police and their impunity. The police guys needs to be arrested and locked up
Re: Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 18, 2014
And one yeye person dey follow me argue @ voters card registration centre in ogun state....when one of the QRS police assigned to maintain order @ the centre cocked his gun threatened to shoot a troublesome civilian (the civilian ran not too far infact close)shouting he (the police)cannot shoot him(the civilian)so the person beside me was like*he cannot shoot him joor**he has no right to do dat.......don't be surprised cos yesterday I woke up very early 4 :30 am(just to register )I trekked by the time I got there. It was 5 am.....on getting there I was asked to go put dowm my name*guess my number*178(no exaggerations).....I was latter told that pple have been there since 2 am#
Re: Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by Harmvirus(f): 2:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
Only in Nigeria, we really have a LONG way to go
Re: Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by menesheh(m): 2:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Source:
Www.wecan'tbelieve.com/until-you-provide-a-link/nonononotillinfinity.html
Re: Policeman Shoots Bus Driver For Refusing To Pay N50 Bribe by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
damned country

(1) (Reply)

UK Preparing To Send NHS Staff To Fight Ebola / Reps List 50 Impeachable Offences Against Jonathan / What Happened To Our Foreign Policy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.