Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals (3719 Views)

Japheth Omojuwa Sues Twitter User For N450 Million Over Death Threat. / Ex-police Ig, Okiro, Denies Stealing N275m; Says Own Aide Set Him Up / Court Orders Efcc To Pay N50.8m To Senator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by kuzinaa: 8:22am On Jul 22, 2011
An Abuja high court today ordered former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, to pay N50 million as well as accrued interests over a landed property he bought under the table while he was head of the Nigerian police. Mr. Okiro was not in court as Justice A.M. Talban gave the ruling earlier today.
In 2008, Mr. Okiro bought a parcel of land at 795 Cadatral Zone in Gudu District Abuja from Igwe Godwin Madu who is also the executive director of Goddson West Africa. Mr. Okiro used his front company, Hekiro Limited, in the land deal.

Continue : http://nigeriapoliticss..com/2011/07/former-ig-okiro-ordered-to-pay-n50.html

Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by mallorca(m): 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2011
looting runs in the blood of Nigeria Politician/police
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by BigMeat2: 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2011
I think the police force in every country have got some elements of people with shady activities.
NPF is just a waiting time bomb full of corrupt officers.

This week in the news from UK, the top police boss and his assistant resigned due to getting involved in shady deals.

Hence my conclusion, police are not to be trusted.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Acutex: 12:54pm On Jul 22, 2011
haba!!!! Where will he get the money to pay from?? Make una no make police increase Egunje to 50 naira oh!! angry sad
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by MyJoe: 1:03pm On Jul 22, 2011
Big Meat:

I think the police force in every country have got some elements of people with shady activities.
NPF is just a waiting time bomb full of corrupt officers.

This week in the news from UK, the top police boss and his assistant resigned due to getting involved in shady deals.

Hence my conclusion, police are not to be trusted.
You need to get your facts right.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by blank(f): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2011
Pardon, my ignorance but what did he do wrong? Did he intimidate the owner into selling or into selling at a lower than agreed price? Or he should not have bought it at all cos he was IG? Don't really get it.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by MyJoe: 1:17pm On Jul 22, 2011
blank:

Pardon, my ignorance but what did he do wrong? Did he intimidate the owner into selling or into selling at a lower than agreed price? Or he should not have bought it at all cos he was IG? Don't really get it.
Thank you. Nobody is asking for these facts, yet. Just wait and see how people come here an pour scorn on him without even knowing what he did.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by snowdrops(m): 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2011
That a public officer is corrupt is no longer news in naija. What would be news is when one is prosecuted or imprisoned.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by blank(f): 1:52pm On Jul 22, 2011
Okay, i now understand.

An Abuja high court today ordered former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, to pay N50 million as well as accrued interests over a landed property he bought under the table while he was head of the Nigerian police. Mr. Okiro was not in court as Justice A.M. Talban gave the ruling earlier today.
In 2008, Mr. Okiro bought a parcel of land at 795 Cadatral Zone in Gudu District Abuja from Igwe Godwin Madu who is also the executive director of Goddson West Africa. Mr. Okiro used his front company, Hekiro Limited, in the land deal.
SaharaReporters learnt that Mr. Okiro had agreed to pay N130 million for the land. However, after paying a deposit of N70 million, he refused to redeem the balance. “In short, he started flexing muscles as the IG and tried using his office to harass Chief Madu into foregoing the outstanding amount,” said a source familiar with the deal.
When Mr. Madu took the case to court, Mr. Okiro refused to show up in court and enter a defense. Instead, the former IG invited Mr. Madu to come to his office at the police headquarters in Abuja to sign the "deed of assignment" for the land. “He wanted to use his office to further harass and intimidate the owner of the land he was buying,” said one source.

Despite Mr. Okiro’s hectoring manner, Femi Falana, who led the team of lawyers for Mr. Madu, pressed their client’s case. They asked the trial judge to rule in favor of Mr. Madu under the "undefended list rule."
Sensing that his decision to ignore the lawsuit might adversely affect him, Mr. Okiro rushed to court with his lawyers, led by Uche (SAN) and filed a defense claiming that the land seller had refused to sign the deed of assignment.
The judge then adjourned the case till today, requesting that Mr. Madu appear in court to sign the deed and collect the remainder of the payment from Mr. Okiro
At the court’s session today, Mr. Okiro was a no-show. After waiting in vain for the defendant and his lawyers, Justice Talban awarded a ruling in favor of the plaintiff. He instructed Mr. Okiro to pay the balance of N50 million and interests accrued at prevailing market rate.

During his tenure as IG, Mr. Okiro undertook extensive private businesses and emerged as one of the most corrupt heads of the police. He exploited his office in a number of illicit deals for financial gain.In 2009, Mr. Okiro was indicted by the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation for using his front company, Hekiro Limited, to obtain a loan of N166 million from Lead Bank. The unpaid loan was one of the factors that led to the demise of Lead Bank. The former IG also used the same front company to purchase the land that led to today's judgment.

In 2009, SaharaReporters unearthed a series of real estate holdings owned by the IG in the name of Bharmoss Ventures Limited, a company in which his children were directors. A company statement obtained by Saharareporters revealed that members of the Okiro family claimed that they were professionals in such fields as architecture, engineering, administration, and law.

The corporate document gave a short biography of each member of the board of directors starting with Yvonne Okiro, who graduated from the Ogun State University with an LLB degree in law and obtained an LLM in Environmental Law at the University of Scotland. She was called to the bar in 2002. Ms. Yvonne Okiro held the position of Company Secretary/Legal Adviser. Omolara Okiro, a 1993 graduate of Imo State University, holds a B.Sc degree in accounting.

Omo, as she is fondly called, was said to have earned some experience with the civil service before leaving to join the business world. The bio described her as versed in property acquisition/ development, and building construction. She was said to have foreign partners in the USSR, USA and Norway.

Innocent Okiro graduated from the University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt in 1990 with a B.Sc in Business Administration. The company statement described him as versed in international business. The pioneer chairman of Bharmoss, he was portrayed as an astute businessman with interests in various areas.

The last director, Samuel Okiro, is a 1990 graduate of Universitatea Politechnica, Bucuresti, Romania. Mr. Samuel Okiro also reportedly holds a Masters in mechanical engineering. The company categorized him as versed in international/foreign business, with reported experience in Florida, China, and London. Samuel reportedly joined Bharmoss Ventures as a pioneer director and has interests in various fields.
Dickson Ibikunle is named as the managing director of Bharmoss, one of Mr. Okiro's front companies. The company was registered in October 1993 while Okiro was deputy commissioner of police in Lagos. Our investigation revealed that the registered address for Mr. Okiro’s four children, who serve as directors of Bharmoss, is 18 Ladejobi Street, Ikeja, Lagos – Mr. Okiro’s official residence when he worked as the deputy commissioner of police in charge of administration in the Lagos Police Command, Ikeja.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by ideylaff: 2:00pm On Jul 22, 2011
SaharaReporters learnt that Mr. Okiro had agreed to pay N130 million for the land. However, after paying a deposit of N70 million, he refused to redeem the balance. “In short, he started flexing muscles as the IG and tried using his office to harass Chief Madu into foregoing the outstanding amount,” said a source familiar with the deal.
When Mr. Madu took the case to court, Mr. Okiro refused to show up in court and enter a defense. Instead, the former IG invited Mr. Madu to come to his office at the police headquarters in Abuja to sign the "deed of assignment" for the land. “He wanted to use his office to further harass and intimidate the owner of the land he was buying,” said one source.

The balance was affected by the Road block boys not performing up to scratch, that money na like Road block returns for 6 months on Benin Ore Road, which happens to one of All IG's personal returns branch route. chop clean mouf people

Where una se ds kind Okiro picture, the man better pass this now, wey una dey show us hin nostrils,  embarassed

man wan wack Lunch now, in yama, 
grin
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by zikclassiq(m): 3:10pm On Jul 22, 2011
Police police police!!!
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by becomrichv: 4:36pm On Jul 22, 2011
,who
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by gamesb: 4:52pm On Jul 22, 2011
MAKE UNA LEAVE THE MAN ALONE , WHEN HIM NEVER GET MONEY Y UNA NO CRITICIZE HIM SAY HIM POOR .
NOW HIM DON HAMMER UNA DEY SHOUT .
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by badesco(m): 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2011
That serves him right. let him too pay the 10% of all he had stolen while on active service. if i were to be the Judge, i would asked him to pay N1 billion, no story. after all his erstwhile Boss Tafa Balogun paid much more higher than this. Is okoro crying fowl play here, it is not foul play but reality of his past life.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by nethacker(m): 5:39pm On Jul 22, 2011
with all these news of corruption without persecution, politics/governance is now a lucrative business grin grin grin

na wa to 9ja police ooo grin
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by talktrue1(m): 6:09pm On Jul 22, 2011
a company in which his children were directors. A company statement obtained by Saharareporters revealed that members of the Okiro family claimed that they were professionals in such fields as architecture, engineering, administration, and law

Corporate Affairs Commission needs to be reviewed
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by hackney(m): 7:07pm On Jul 22, 2011
the man can unstuff his nose for a start.

i dont trust the nigerian police at all.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by executinal(m): 9:23pm On Jul 22, 2011
How do i join police? because i wan hammer my own share grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by lastpage: 1:36am On Jul 23, 2011
If a "Deputy Commissioner of POLICE" can buy a land and pay a DEPOSIT of #70Million, while in active duty, how come we are surprised that Policemen "rent guns" to armed robbers?

In saner climes, this kind of revelation is enough to put Mr. Okiro in jail FOR LIFE but not in Nigeria!
Next you will hear is that he is contesting for state Governor!
shocked

And we still wonder why Nigeria can NEVER experience any meaningful development, even in 2099! angry
Till Christ come sef grin
(shakes head and spits on the thief's picture)
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Muza(m): 1:43am On Jul 23, 2011
if you swim with sharks,then you are a shark,no two ways about it
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Koolking(m): 10:55am On Jul 23, 2011
I am a strong proponent of nibbing corruption in the bud in Nigeria. If we don't change our orientation from family to public, corruption will always seems part of us. And until our leaders stop paying lip statements to fight against corruption, i am afraid, things will remain the way they are if not worse.

It is high time, we took a stand on corruption. Public office holders found wanting should be prosecuted summarily just like [worse than] a common criminal.

revolution will set this country on the right path
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Sagamite(m): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2011
Since we have Silver Back Gorilla, Odechukwu Jonathan as president, I bet he will not order an investigation (or at least a questioning interview) into how a life time public official can afford to pay £70m (circa £300K) on just ONE TRANSACTION when his salary can not have been over £20K on average over his career!
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by kinguwem: 6:53pm On Jul 23, 2011
The office of the IGP is a gold mine. Okiro did not want to break Balogun's record because of EFCC. Probably, that was why he had to frustrate Ribadu out of the NPF. No wonder Boko Haram nearly bombed the IGP. May be there was a failed transaction.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by lastpage: 11:08pm On Jul 23, 2011
@Sagamite
Since we have Silver Back Gorilla, Odechukwu Jonathan as president, I bet he will not order an investigation (or at least a questioning interview) into how a life time public official can afford to pay £70m (circa £300K) on just ONE TRANSACTION when his salary can not have been over £20K on average over his career!

Dont you think that if not for any other thing, being a comparatively older man (your Dad's age), The "sitting" President of a sovereign country and that country is your country of origin, NIGERIA, you should not go about being so "openly insulting" to his person?

You may have "issues of governance" with him and you can voice them without the insults, especially the personal type of insults?
The looting was not even about him, it was about Sir Mike Okiro!

BTW: Would you write the same insults "online" of Cameron, the British P.M.?
I've seen Brits criticize him, especially of recent with the hacking scandals but not in this kind of debased, gutter stuff some Nigerians just spew out daily! Just a suggestion.

This is not an invitation to "download all the grammatical insults" you can find, l wont even respond afterall, l am not "bigger or better respected" than the President of a country of 150Million peeps, so calm down and "self-regulate yourself".
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Sagamite(m): 11:27pm On Jul 23, 2011
lastpage:

@Sagamite
Dont you think that if not for any other thing, being a comparatively older man (your Dad's age), The "sitting" President of a sovereign country and that country is your country of origin, NIGERIA, you should not go about being so "openly insulting" to his person?

You may have "issues of governance" with him and you can voice them without the insults, especially the personal type of insults?
The looting was not even about him, it was about Sir Mike Okiro!

BTW: Would you write the same insults "online" of Cameron, the British P.M.?
I've seen Brits criticize him, especially of recent with the hacking scandals but not in this kind of debased, gutter stuff some Nigerians just spew out daily! Just a suggestion.

This is not an invitation to "download all the grammatical insults" you can find, l wont even respond afterall, l am not "bigger or better respected" than the President of a country of 150Million peeps, so calm down and "self-regulate yourself".

Why not?

Because he is my father's age, he is above insult? His age gives him a birth-right to respect?

Even when he is contributing to the destruction of millions of lives existence (because some Nigerians are not even living).

The man has shown repeatedly he is not willing to solve or be active enough in solving Nigeria's problems that is DESTROYING LIVES. I am well entitled (based on my own values) to insult him as I have compassion for the common man. This compassion takes precedence over respect for ediots. Just my personal value system o.

There is a reason you will not see me insult Fawehinmi, Soyinka, Ribadu, Okonjo-Iweala etc.

If I believe Cameron has the intent on destroying lives for personal gains, I would insult him. Why not? You think I worship whites?
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by okunoba(m): 5:53am On Jul 24, 2011
@sagamite, We learn how to speak big English but we fail to pick up on the civility of the UK culture. There really is no need to insult the president, I am sure you can criticize him without the need to insults his person. Being civilized isn`t about speaking and writing big grammar, but more about what we do and say. Gutter language is for a bygone days and the uncultured. Lets cultivate good manners in talk and deeds. How many times have we heard people in the UK describe Nigerians as rude and disrespectful, please lets not perpetuate the stereotype.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Sagamite(m): 9:53am On Jul 24, 2011
okunoba:

@sagamite,  We learn how to speak big English but we fail to pick up on the civility of the UK culture. There really is no need to insult the president, I am sure you can criticize  him without the need to insults his person.  Being civilized isn`t about speaking and writing big grammar, but more about what we do and say. Gutter language is for a bygone days and the uncultured.  Lets cultivate good manners in talk and deeds. How many times have we heard people in the UK describe Nigerians as rude and disrespectful, please lets not perpetuate the stereotype.

Amsorry!

Who told you I want to be civilised at all times and to all people?

Why should I not insult the president?

You are one of those that pathetically think we should have respect for IBB?
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by 1luvkipsus: 9:53pm On Jul 24, 2011
Nigeria is indeed a strange country.how can an IG of police buy a piece of land for N130 MILLION NAIRA in a country where d police force is ill-equipped,poorly paid &live in abject poverty?shudn't dat man be forced 2refund all d monies he stole and sent 2 jail?too bad.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Sagamite(m): 10:50pm On Jul 24, 2011
The same Nigerians that are the victims of their moronic rulers mismanagement are the first to defend their elderly rights. Not knowing the atrocity we see today in Nigeria is due to these leaders they insist we respect.

Borno state with 70% of children that have never been to school is where we have Boko Haram originate from. A group that has killed countless and is in existence mainly because of no other ambition or alternatives in life as their leaders have ruined their lives and are ruining the next generation's lives too. They have turned them into a farm of rearing future Mai Guards.

I bet the Somalis should also respect their elderly rulers that destroyed the country till this day with their selfishness.

Let's have some bleeping foresight and prioritise priorities!

When Jonathan shows me a hunger to be a great, principled, efficient and concerned leader, he can have my respect. While he is a Fresh Odour of the same foul odour we have had as leaders, he will get my vituperation.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by beespak7(m): 6:10pm On Jul 25, 2011
police hmmmm na wao !!!
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by Sagamite(m): 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2011
Let me share some lateral thinking with some of you.

When you hear about some racial killing in Western countries, you are virtually almost guaranteed it is a black man or youth that has been senselessly slaughtered by some group of cretins.

Be it USA, UK, Spain, Holland, Norway, Denmark, France whatever.

You wonder if it is only blacks that are the non-whites in these countries. And you find out "No". There might even be more Indians, Chinese or Arabs in those countries. Yet it is the black man the self appointed super race fascist almost always target.

There are multiple factors to why this is so, but one of the major factors is that they really see blacks as the dirtiest and most lowest of the races. This perception is fed full by the useless leaders that have made most black men destitute with their greed, selfishness and incompetence. It is really easy to look down on that race.

Next time, think of that and stop thinking of how we should respect moorons because they are elderly.
Re: Former Ig Okiro Ordered To Pay N50 Million Over Shady Land Deals by radiovibe: 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2011
Nigeria Police are very corrupt. period

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc / When The HUNTER Becomes The HUNTED / Why Igbos Should Not Vote For Nnyesom Wike In Rivers Rerun!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.