Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,948 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital (11768 Views)

Doctors’ Strike Paralyses Ekiti Teaching Hospital / NAFDAC Losing N120m Weekly At Ports Due To Workers’ Strike / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by sogodihno: 11:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
Patients Groan as Health Workers’ Strike Paralyses Federal Hospitals

SIX days into the nationwide strike embarked upon by health workers under the employ of the Federal Government, excluding doctors, more critically ill patients and those requiring urgent medical attention who were rejected by government-owned hospitals have continued to die, while others’ situation has gone from bad to worse.The Guardian investigation revealed that most patients cannot afford services at private hospitals, the cost of which is about ten times higher than what obtains at federal government hospitals. Pressure on Lagos hospitals by the rejected patients have increased waiting time, which the critically ill cannot afford. While some have resorted to patronizing quacks, road-side patent medicine stores and chemists, and indulging in self medication, others visit spiritual houses and some others prefer to stay at home to die.

The Guardian who visited most of the Federal Government-owned hospitals in Lagos, including the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Idi- Araba, National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi, Federal Neuropsychiatry Hospital Yaba and Federal Medical Centre at Railway Compound Ebutte Meta found that except in-patients, that is those already on admission, those who had clinic appointments and the very critically ill patients, others were being rejected. The nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists and other members of the health team, excluding the doctors, that constitute about 90 per cent of the hospitals’ work force, were on strike. It was, however, observed that the consultants and all the doctors were working round the clock, and the X-ray departments, the laboratories and the blood bank were offering skeletal services.

The ever-busy LUTH was a shadow of itself yesterday. The Accident and Emergency Unit was shut. There was no influx of patients. The car lots were half empty, although the caretakers were still collecting N200 from visitors for parking space. The doctors cared less. They were going about their duties. When The Guardian visited the National Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi (NOHI) Lagos, yesterday, the hospital premises was like a ghost town, as the premises was deserted by patients who used to throng the hospital for medical cases. It was observed that officials rejected outpatient’s cases that were not on emergency list.

A source, which did not want to be named told The Guardian that a patient who had come from Oshogbo, Osun State, was rejected yesterday morning by the hospital.But the situation is different in Lagos State-owned hospitals, including Isolo General Hospital and Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) in Ikeja when The Guardian visited yesterday: the hospitals were overwhelmed by many of the patients rejected at the Federal Government hospitals, because the health workers are not on strike. Patients from across the state troop to LASUTH for medical care. The whole corridors and waiting rooms were filled with patients waiting and in queues, seeking to be attended to.

Besides the human traffic, the whole compound was jam-packed with vehicles of relations who brought their loved ones. The story was the same at Isolo General Hospital where full scale activities were also seen going on. At the General Outpatient department, Mother and Child Section, Emergency department and other sections, nurses were seen attending topatients.Achunike Emembolu, a trader who brought her sick aged mother to the hospital, said he rushed her sick mother to LASUTH when she was rejected by LUTH.“I was seriously worried when they turned us back, telling usthat they were on strike and were not admitting new patients.

I knew that my only option was to go to private hospital and spend exorbitantly without even being sure of the quality service I would get. I was consoled when a friend told me to take her to LASUTH that they are working and I came and confirmed.”One of the rejected patients at NOHI, Mr. Vincent Ujah, said he had come to the hospital from Iyana Ipaja, a distance of a about an hour drive, to seek medical help on a condition he believed to be arthritis, adding that he was not aware that health workers were on strike.The 35-year old man, who was assisted to the hospital by his friend, added that the scenario he met on ground disappointed him.

Acting Chief Medical Director at LUTH, Prof. Chris Bode, told The Guardian: “The strike itself is something between some segments of the health workers and the Federal Government. It is not between the hospital and those groups. We are hoping that as soon as possible this will be amicably resolved so that Nigerians will not suffer because one day of a strike is a loss of so many things, not only lives, but health to people.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/186977-patients-groan-as-health-workers-strike-paralyses-federal-hospitals

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by sogodihno: 11:44pm On Nov 18, 2014
And somebody will now come here and be saying it's only doctors that matter at the hospital. sad

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by adeoladrg(m): 8:47am On Nov 19, 2014
I'm gutted!

You know, I've never failed to air my discontent over this unholy marriage called JOHESU. I've neither failed to find words to express my hate towards both NMA and the Federal government. Now, who suffers? who suffers?

I'm tired mehn!

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by pharmguru: 9:48am On Nov 19, 2014
i thought i read a post here dat d workers hv agreed to end d strike??
this is all so wrong and has to end.
even if d doctors wont accept, any1 wit common sense knws dt evry worker in d hospital is very important. but trying to prove dis point at d detriment of d patients is jst not right.
dey shud call off pls.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Oduduwaboy(m): 10:22am On Nov 19, 2014
Government should commence a gradual privatization of the hospitals in Nigeria. This is the ONLY way forward.
It is instructive to note that the Indian hospitals that Nigerians daily troop to , are private- owned.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by swaystunna(m): 10:28am On Nov 19, 2014
Mods.. Frontpage please
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by yuzjet(m): 11:48am On Nov 19, 2014
Kul
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 19, 2014
Just booking space.......
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Emmanuel950(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2014
chai ! Nawa oooo...
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by seapson(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by berbs112(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2014
Nawa oooo
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 19, 2014
This issue of consistent striking drains my energies... Is it that the workers are greedy or the FG is just careless?
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 19, 2014
This is not good ....
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Babyboy1986(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
Hmmmmm na today?
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by omenka(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
Can someone point to a single thing working properly under this utterly incompetent administration?? Just one. (Besides the industry of corruption of course).

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by lomaxx: 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
sogodihno:
And somebody will now come here and be saying it's only doctors that matter at the hospital. sad

If that's all you see, then your mental shortsightedness has a bad prognosis

17 Likes

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
Let the govt meet their demands
pharmguru:
i thought i read a post here dat d workers hv agreed to end d strike??
this is all so wrong and has to end.
even if d doctors wont accept, any1 wit common sense knws dt evry worker in d hospital is very important. but trying to prove dis point at d detriment of d patients is jst not right.
dey shud call off pls.
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by kamez(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
Na them go tire..

When last did striking workers in any sector win a fight against FG?...

You guys should return to work.... And look for other ways to achieve ur aim
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by akpanikpe(m): 11:53am On Nov 19, 2014
berbs112:
Nawa oooo
seapson:
Ok
Emmanuel950:
chai ! Nawa oooo...
keyzid:
Just booking space.......
paulshakur:
Not good
teamup:
naija again
Keneking:
Ok
yuzjet:
Kul
Talkcentral:
haaa
U can all do better if u volunteer to help in the hospital, at list to be carrying bodies to mutuary.

8 Likes

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by AdeolaArewa(f): 11:54am On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 19, 2014
Bok
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2014
When will these incessant strikes stop?
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by yuzjet(m): 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
akpanikpe:

U can all do better if u volunteer to help in the hospital, at list to be carrying bodies to mutuary.

Will go when u and ur mama is ready to follow suit!

1 Like

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by condralbede(m): 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
OK....noted,we will set up committee to investigate this.No need to panic yet,we are surely on top of the situation!!! tnx
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by infobiz9ja(m): 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
Only 4 Naija u go dey suffer & still dey claim Ajebutter. undecided
Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by MaleoPearls(m): 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
How, when and where do volunteers go? The Docs could use some help

Re: Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
akpanikpe:

Please how do I quote many people at once like you just did
I want to be catching space Booker's too

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Mosquito Nets? / Over 5,000 Nigerian Doctors In S/africa - Envoy / Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.