Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule (17461 Views)

PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Motion: 22 APC Northern Senators ‘working Against Buhari’ / Northern Senators Meet Over Igbo Domination In Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Ishilove: 8:01am On Nov 19, 2014
Jonathan writes Tambuwal on extension

President Goodluck Jonathan’s bid to extend the emergency rule in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States, may not get easy passage at the National Assembly, New Telegraph has learnt.

The president yesterday sent a letter to the Senate seeking approval to extend the emergency rule in the three terror-beleaguered states for another six months, but Senate President David Mark, had to tactically defer further discussion on the matter after gauging the mood of his colleagues, many of whom opposed the bid. Curiously, Jonathan addressed the same letter to House of Representatives Speaker, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, whom the Federal Government had declared had lost his seat following his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

A statement from Tambuwal’s office yesterday said the House would reconvene tomorrow, ahead of its December 3 resumption date, to consider Jonathan’s request. It was gathered that senators were furious at an executive session, held behind closed doors, where the president’s request for an extension of the emergency rule was discussed. Sources said at the executive session that lasted for one-and-a-half hours, many senators, especially from the North, threatened to vote against it, saying the last extension in May 2014 would be the last time they would support further extension of the imposition of state of emergency that was imposed on the states since May 2013.

Senators Ahmed Lawan (Yobe North) and Ali Ndume (Borno South), in separate interviews with reporters after plenary session, said their colleagues opposed another plan by Jonathan to extend the emergency rule. According to Lawan, “although we will continue deliberations on the issue tomorrow (today), I can assure you that we will not approve the emergency rule extension because the president can deploy the military to any part of the country without declaring a state of emergency.

“We have a very strong military in Nigeria and nobody can doubt their capacity to handle this insurgency, except if the government is telling us that so many things are fundamentally wrong. “Discussions on it will definitely continue tomorrow (today), but I want to tell you that I am totally opposed to it. I believe that after 18 months of the state of emergency, we should look at other avenues. “So many options are being advanced, which would be concluded tomorrow.

What we need at the moment is the massive deployment of troops to quickly launch serious attacks because we have lost so many territories already. “And at any case, the president, under Section 218 of the 1999 Constitution, has the powers to deploy the military in whatever capacity without a declaration of a state of emergency. I believe that a state of emergency extension is only a waste of time because we have had a state of emergency for 18 months and the result we all know is failure. Ndume, on his part, also expressed opposition to the proposal because extension of the martial rule would further worsen the situation in the three north-eastern states.
He said: “The state of emergency since it was declared in the three states had taken us from bad to worse. Our fears now are that if we extend it again, we are inviting more problems to ourselves because the insurgents would capture more territories during the period.

“As the representatives of my people, my entire constituents are totally opposed to the extension of the emergency rule because it restricts movements of the civilian populace while the insurgents move freely and have a field day.

When people are sleeping in the night, the insurgents are freely moving around. By 6p.m., the whole towns are closed, but the insurgents are busy taking control of everywhere.” Ndume doubted the sincerity of the Federal Government to fight the insurgency and urged the military authorities to adopt a fresh strategy to combat terrorism.

Other senators who also spoke on the development admitted that the declaration of the state of emergency in the affected states had not achieved the desired objectives since it was proclaimed in May 2013. Earlier, Mark had postponed till today the debate on Jonathan’s request for the extension of the state of emergency.

The president had asked the Senate, through a letter, approve the extension of the martial rule to enable the Federal Government to tackle the Boko Haram insurgency in the region. The letter, entitled: “Extension of the period for the proclamation of a state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states,” reads: “May I respectfully draw your attention to the state of emergency proclamation 2013 in respect of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, which was approved by the National Assembly and extended for a further period of six months by the National Assembly as conveyed by the Clerk of the National Assembly’s letter dated 21st of May, 2014.

“By virtue of provisions of Sections 305, Subsection 6C of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, the proclamation aforementioned will elapse after a period of six months from the date of approval of the National Assembly, except the period is extended by the National Assembly.

“It is important to state that despite concerted efforts by this administration to stem the tide of terrorism and insurgency in the affected states, the security challenges that necessitated the proclamation are yet to abate. Consequently, it has become imperative to request the approval of the Senate for extension of the period for the state of emergency for a further period of six months. “In view of the foregoing, I most respectfully request distinguished senators to consider and approve by resolution the extension of the proclamation of the state of emergency by a further period of six months from the date of expiration of the current period.”

On its part, the House is cutting short its recess tomorrow to consider the president’s request to extend emergency rule in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. Tambuwal, in the statement from his office, said: “On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, I received a communication from the President, Commander-in- Chief of the Armed Forces, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan GCFR, requesting for the extension of the existing state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states by the House of Representatives.

“Pursuant to the powers conferred on me by Section 305 (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, which requires me to “forthwith convene or arrange a meeting of the House” and in order to treat the extension before the expiration of the current state of emergency in accordance with Section 305 (6) (c) of the Constitution, I hereby reconvene the House of Representatives, currently on recess…”

Meanwhile, President Jonathan yesterday met with Mark and Tambuwal’s deputy, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha. Although details of the meeting were not disclosed, it was gathered that it centred on the fresh extension of the emergency rule in the three states. The decision to extend the emergency rule was arrived at after a meeting of the National Defence Council, which held in Abuja on Monday.

SOURCE: http://newtelegraphonline.com/northern-senators-kick-against-emergency-rule/
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 19, 2014
Na Today?

Really I like the way this is going. I bet this will give them more hatred over GEJ.

GMB till 2019

But I hope the emergency rule wont deny them their vote sha... and hope that is not a plan to make them sit in their homes while the incumbent rig the votes... hmmm

20 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 19, 2014
Curiously, Jonathan
addressed the same letter to House of
Representatives Speaker, Hon. Aminu
Tambuwal, whom the Federal Government
had declared had lost his seat following
his defection from the Peoples Democratic
Party (PDP) to the All Progressives
Congress (APC).
I am happy the President still recognizes Tambuwal as the speaker.

As for the emergency rule extension,I hope something is achieved this time around. 2015 is around the corner.

13 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by spenca: 8:14am On Nov 19, 2014
Ok, this is a side attraction for the house to sit in order for tambuwal to step aside as the speaker
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 19, 2014
The emergency rule formerly imposed didn't achieve anything worthwhile.So why impose another one?

Let the people move freely and the soldiers do their thing.One musnt hinder the other

Sai buhari 2015#kick out cluelessness

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by joseph1832(m): 8:15am On Nov 19, 2014
berem:

As for the emergency rule extension,I hope something is achieved this time around. 2015 is around the corner.
Emergency rule this emergency rule that! All the time he's been proclaiming emergency rule what has been the result? More bombings and more death!.

So like a typical Nigerian to do something over and over again after failing in all attempt!.

My take, declare marshall law in north east Nigeria!.

4 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 19, 2014
berem:

You are confused there... as if you dont know that Tambuwal is no more his contender...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by ceo4eva: 8:17am On Nov 19, 2014
It's high time these destructions and senseless killings wrapped under political and religious garment stopped. Let's move forward for God's sake!

1 Like

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

You are confused there... as if you dont know that Tambuwal is no more his contender...
even when he's no longer in PDP? Is Jonathan really that scared?
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by eleojo23: 8:24am On Nov 19, 2014
When will sanity return to the north? The north has a lot of potentials but this constant unrest has affected that region( and the entire country) negatively

1 Like

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 19, 2014
berem:
even when he's no longer in PDP? Is Jonathan really that scared?

See... he is no longer in PDP and the state has Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko as their governor under PDP... So you see all he has to do is to focus on the governor.

He knows what he is doing o jare

1 Like

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by stinggy(m): 8:30am On Nov 19, 2014
Only a fool uses the same method 3 good times without recording any success and yet does not feel any urge to discontinue the use of such method.

The corrupted NA conquers a town today, looses it the following week. Comes back again and reclaim it, only for her to loose it again. How long would we continue like that? Even the local hunters recorded more success.

The request for extension is just to weaken these states politically, bearing in mind that the states are APC strongholds.
He asks for extension the fourth time and he doesn't feel the need to visit these states and assess things himself, just relying on whatever he hears from the corrupt military heads who are feeding fat on the unfortunate situation.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 19, 2014
I think Jonathan should suspend all democratic institutions this time around. You can't have the meddlesome political office holders running around while the military is involved in major operations. I guess that's why emergency rule hasn't worked. Let our gallant men of the armed forces carry out full scale and swift assault on the terrorists. Fewer people will die at the end.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by dotna(m): 8:45am On Nov 19, 2014
When will peace return ?
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Energito: 8:59am On Nov 19, 2014
I dont care.
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by mekaboy(m): 9:02am On Nov 19, 2014
As long as the northern elders believe power belongs to them and brainwash the youths with religion, there will be no peace. Let them agree to allow jonathan another 4yrs while they shop for a better candidate for 2019. The. 80% of violence in the north will end. They people will walk in peace with one voice and the insurgents will have no place among them.

But as long as they have the born to rule mentality and produce old bitter politicians who call for blood when they loose. They will be no peace in the north.

When you call for blood after elections, those same youth will need to maintain their thirst for blood.

10 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Ovialekhe(f): 11:28am On Nov 20, 2014
I wonder why Jonathan didn't declare a full state of emergency in those state.

3 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 20, 2014
Why won't they,when they are busy sacrificing their youths for selfish interest,all in the name of making the country ungovernable,since a northerner isn't at the helm of affair..

2 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 20, 2014
My northern brothers may counter this but let the truth be told!!!
The northern elites are the one litigating the operations of the Nigerian forces maybe for political gains or something.

If GEJ deploy only th Nigerian forces, they will lambaste him on not declaring state of emergency.
Now that he does, they re still whining.

A built nation without an unbuilt people, the unbuilt people will destroy the built nation!

The best a nation can bequeath to it's citizenry is to liberate them through education.

Northern Nigeria really needs education!!!!
God bless Nigeria!!!!!!!!!
God bless United states of Biafra!!!!!!
God bless igboland!!!!

13 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by gbodimowo(m): 11:29am On Nov 20, 2014
OK
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by teamlee: 11:29am On Nov 20, 2014
Nigeria
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by jaybiz007(m): 11:29am On Nov 20, 2014
angry
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Ovialekhe(f): 11:29am On Nov 20, 2014
ok
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by TDonald: 11:30am On Nov 20, 2014
Am I expected to read all these?

Any ways I hate politics

But #GEJtill2019

4 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by stebanj: 11:30am On Nov 20, 2014
grin cheesy loving ĎĮŜ frong page tinx oh
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by jamesw: 11:30am On Nov 20, 2014
Why would a right thinking person kick against emergency rule in a war torn region

Are You In Love or...
Source: [url=https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=Are+You+In+Love+or+Are+You+Addicted%3F&oq=Are+You+In+Love+or+Are+You+Addicted%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=are+you+in+love+or+are+you+addicted+e+reporter]e reporter.com.ng/index.php/more-news/life-style-news/item/1498-are-you-in-love-or-are-you-addicted[/url]
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by jay89(m): 11:31am On Nov 20, 2014
I'm in full support of the northern senators since the local vigilante are more proactive in dealing with the insurgent than the federal troops. Since the state of emergency have nt provide the desire result we have 2 do away wit it and install our local vigilante since we are safe on dia hands. Goodluck take away ur troops from the street of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa we will protect our selve. Useless government.

1 Like

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by coolvitus(m): 11:33am On Nov 20, 2014
I see no reason why it should be extended even when it has not yielded any good fruit anywhay corruption gallo
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by blocker: 11:33am On Nov 20, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin So after withdrawing the speaker's official security using unconstitutional means Mr President now writes to the speaker via constitutional means? Well their is God oh!

3 Likes

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by condralbede(m): 11:34am On Nov 20, 2014
ok...nah thr way
Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by WIZGUY69(m): 11:34am On Nov 20, 2014
[size=24]when you keep using one strategy to tackle a problem, and it yields no result. why don't you try another way. the state of emergency isn't working. the GCFR should look for another means, besides the northern elders oppose the idea too. they know the area better than GEJ. follow there advice.
BTW. what's up with north sef.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Northern Senators Kick Against Emergency Rule by Talkcentral: 11:35am On Nov 20, 2014
haa...what wron to this man

MAN LYING DEAD NEXT TO HIS CAR AT IJESHA LAGOS GRAPHIC PHOTOS

>>>http://www..com.ng/man-lying-dead-next-to-his-car/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Defence Space Administration In Abuja (Photos) / Over 5000 Bags Of Rice Rots Away In Nigerian Customs Warehouse. / Ruga Comment : Abia State Government Disowns Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.