Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,359 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? (913 Views)

Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? / Is Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? / Test Your Intelligence quotient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by tuncy(m): 10:11am On Nov 19, 2014
Some people are of the opinion that a student's intelligence is almost proportional to the parent's IQ. That is an intelligent parent will make an intelligent child. What's your view?
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by christejames(m): 10:20am On Nov 19, 2014
Its not hereditary because they are some students that build their IQ themselves, its mainly determined by the kind of environment one finds himself.
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by STENON(f): 10:34am On Nov 19, 2014
I Dnt really know for others.

But I got that IQ and boookworm traits frm my Parent.

So I think It should be hereditary.
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by tuncy(m): 7:11am On Nov 20, 2014
christejames:
Its not hereditary because they are some students that build their IQ themselves, its mainly determined by the kind of environment one finds himself.

I get, but there re some students called genius simply because their IQ is more than 70%. High retention... Some of those I know don't read as much as others do to get a good grade. And their parents are quite brilliant too... How about that?
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by tuncy(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2014
STENON:
I Dnt really know for others.

But I got that IQ and boookworm traits frm my Parent.

So I think It should be hereditary.

Well, I think so too.... But how will you explain, a student whose mum n dad re professors yet very dull?
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by christejames(m): 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2014
tuncy:

I get, but there re some students called genius simply because their IQ is more than 70%. High retention... Some of those I know don't read as much as others do to get a good grade. And their parents are quite brilliant too... How about that?
...yea, I also have a friend in my department who is very brilliant (he doesn't read much to pass also) and his parents are equally brilliant. I also did a research for my cousin sister (who is a teacher) on 'parental influence on children's intelligence' (or something like that) and found out that children of educated parents tend to perform better than those that are not educated because the educated ones know the value of being educated thereby making sure their children are educated. My take is on student that comes from poor background with their parents relatively educated but still have high IQ, the environment such student finds himself would push him/her to excel in any competition of academic, from the example u gave to stenon above, the children of the professor might find themselves in the environment where other children care less about education and this would adversely affect their IQ whereas the children of parents with low IQ that find themselves in a milieu of children with high IQ what do u expect would happen to the IQ of these poor children? ...they would strive to be like their peers. Our local aphorism has it that 'when hunger knack you, you go remember your talent...' its real bro! #Or maybe u are saying being intelligence is different from being educated.

1 Like

Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by tuncy(m): 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
christejames:
...yea, I also have a friend in my department who is very brilliant (he doesn't read much to pass also) and his parents are equally brilliant. I also did a research for my cousin sister (who is a teacher) on 'parental influence on children's intelligence' (or something like that) and found out that children of educated parents tend to perform better than those that are not educated because the educated ones know the value of being educated thereby making sure their children are educated. My take is on student that comes from poor background with their parents relatively educated but still have high IQ, the environment such student finds himself would push him/her to excel in any competition of academic, from the example u gave to stenon above, the children of the professor might find themselves in the environment where other children care less about education and this would adversely affect their IQ whereas the children of parents with low IQ that find themselves in a milieu of children with high IQ what do u expect would happen to the IQ of these poor children? ...they would strive to be like their peers. Our local aphorism has it that 'when hunger knack you, you go remember your talent...' its real bro! #Or maybe u are saying being intelligence is different from being educated.
Wow! Great stuff but 'YES' intelligence is different from being educated. I'm looking at IQ among educated people.

But really I hope we get a psychologist here to help us! But I believe that IQ is both hereditary and influences too(peer group, school, parent,..)
Re: Is I.Q (intelligence Quotient) Hereditary? by christejames(m): 7:30pm On Nov 20, 2014
tuncy:

Wow! Great stuff but 'YES' intelligence is different from being educated. I'm looking at IQ among educated people.

But really I hope we get a psychologist here to help us! But I believe that IQ is both hereditary and influences too(peer group, school, parent,..)
...thanks, would also love to hear from a psychologist!

(1) (Reply)

SMC PAU Aptitude Test For Masters Programme / How To Prepare And Succeed In Your Post-utme Screening / Agbami Scholarship 2015/16 Application (undergraduates) Starts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.