Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Lawyer Locked My UK Immigration Application In His Drawer For Two Years For Sex - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lawyer Locked My UK Immigration Application In His Drawer For Two Years For Sex (577 Views)

What Is He Hiding Safely Behind This Drawer? / My Ordeal With Nigeria Immigration Officers / Beware Of Uk Immigration Fraud And False Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lawyer Locked My UK Immigration Application In His Drawer For Two Years For Sex by Seandeeds(m): 12:57pm On Nov 20, 2014
A few days ago, I got another mail from a reader. She detailed her ordeal in the hands of the lawyer that was handling her immigration issue. Below is her story

Firstly, let me thank you for allowing people to write in their stories so others can learn. This is good. Well, I'm a lady and I'm in my very early thirties. I entered the UK in 2007, with a 6 month tourist visa, otherwise known as visiting visa. As you would guess, I did not go back to my country after the expiration of the six months. As a result, I became illegal.
Life became very hard for me in every angle. Working has been difficult for me, even from day one. Now, I can't even open my front door without peeping through the front window to know who's there.

I can't forget a day when a young white kid punched me on the face, for no reason. It happened on my way to Woolwich from Bexleyheath, on bus 96. I couldn't fight back or report him to the police, I basically did nothing. This is part of the things illegal immigrants go through in the UK. It is very sad.

READ ALSO - Read How Nigerian Bosses In The UK Treat Fellow Nigerians Like Slaves

Back to my story, I started working at a restaurant after the expiration of my tourist visa. As you would expect, my boss knew my story, he made me work from 6am to 11pm, Monday to Saturday, on £3.50 per hour.
In fairness to my boss, he did not owe me money as he paid me on time. The bad side is you have only 30 min break, do the maths.
I had nothing in the world but that job. I could not do anything to develop myself because there was no time for anything else.
I was on that job for more than two years before I fell ill. I had to go impersonate a friend so I could see a doctor. That's when I was placed on some medication and a month bed rest. That's the problem, the job is pay as you go, no work no pay.
After one month, my boss told me I could not have my job back. I pleaded but he won't bulge. I could not report him to the government. That's what happens when you don't have papers.
I started having problems with my landlord because of the rent. Eventually I had to move out because I could not risk him calling the police.
I moved in with a guy I met at work. He took me in because of the free sex, though I did not realise that initially. At least, I didn't have to sleep on the streets. After about 2 months and with the guy's help, I got another job as a cleaner at the London underground. The money wasn't the best, but it's better that the naija restaurant.
I decided to see a lawyer after I managed to save up some money from the new job. The lawyer was an African, from my country. He charged me £1,500, promising to help me. I paid half of the money during our second meeting. Soon he started asking me out. I politely told him I'm in a serious relationship, if only I knew better. He mount so much pressure on me that I threatened to report him. He relaxed and I thought he had let sleeping dog lie. After a few months, I asked if he had heard from the Home Office. He said no. To cut the story short, I waited for 2 long years.
During one of my numerous visits to his office in Camberwell, London, the receptionist came to meet me at the loo, that's when she told me everything. She said she overheard him telling another colleague that my application was still in his office drawer. He bragged that he must sleep with me before processing it. She told me she had to verify, so she was sure of what she was telling me.
I did not know whether to cry or to just start laughing. I started laughing. So I wasted 2 years of my life thing I would soon be sorted, at least whatever the outcome. What about the risks I started taking, thinking I had an application with them, so I'm immune.
Like that was not enough, the guy I lived with for over two years was actually married with 3 kids back in Nigeria. My whole life finished right before it even started in the UK.
Back to the lawyer issue, I sought advice at the Citizens Advice Bureau, I took my file from the lawyer. I now have my application with the home office now, with the confirmation. I did not leave without placing a curse on him though.

That's my story. I just felt someone might gain a thing or two from it.

This is another story out of many we hear everyday in the UK. Some solicitors, especially from Africa are mere touts. No doubt, we have some many of them that are so great at what they do. If you are experiencing things like this, do not keep quiet, seek advice. It's only that fear won't let victims explore the options they have.

- Read more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/11/wickedness-my-lawyer-locked-my-uk.html#sthash.hycsuyfh.dpuf

(1) (Reply)

Happy New Month of December to All Nairalanders At Home And Abroad / Jonathan’s Visit: OAU Students Clash, Six Injured / Condusive Study Environments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.