Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,923 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion (2723 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion / Fifa Slams Nigeria's Uche For Homophobia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:29am On Nov 21, 2014
EXCLUSIVE: The former Super Eagles star has told Goal that the current national crop need to convince the public that they care about playing for their national team

Jay-Jay Okocha says that questions will be asked about the passion of Nigeria’s players following their exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.

The reigning champions failed to qualify for the 2015 finals after drawing 2-2 with South Africa in Uyo on Wednesday, marking a second exit before the tournament proper in three editions.

And while Stephen Keshi’s future has already been called into question, Okocha believes the players have to take some of the responsibility too.

“I think, to be honest, we will always produce talented players. But perhaps the question is whether they have the same passion that they used to have,” Okocha told Goal. “People are pressuring them about that, you know, because sometimes it seems as if they don’t really care much about the result.”

Wednesday’s result combined with Congo’s 1-0 win in Sudan to extinguish Nigeria’s final hopes, but the 41-year-old said they had made it very difficult for themselves earlier in the campaign.

“Of course it was down to our bad spot, even if we were still in with a chance,” he added. “I think sometimes players must have a wake-up call before they realise they are back in African football. They left themselves get into a difficult position.”

Ironically, Okocha – who won 75 caps for his country – believes the Super Eagles could have gone on to perform very well again in the finals in Equatorial Guinea had the qualified amongst the final 16 teams.

“I have no doubt that had we managed to qualify we would have had a good tournament, because you have to play really well once it comes to the tournament itself. The qualifiers are sometimes a bit tricky here in Africa, so I think if they had qualified they would have had a good tournament.”

Okocha is currently acting as an ambassador for Western Union’s ‘Pass for School’ programme which will see funding made towards better education every time somebody posts an old photograph of themselves in a childhood sports photo to Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #PassForSchool.

He explained: “It is a great initiative, especially since it helps the less privileged children because we all know how vital education is. So I’m delighted to be a part of it.”

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4065/africa/2014/11/20/6329531/okocha-questions-nigeria-players-passion-following-afcon?ICID=HP_HN_1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:31am On Nov 21, 2014
Where is the Passion? angry

Keshi's advocates! Where are they now? tongue

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by Texykool: 1:32am On Nov 21, 2014
A lot of people are awake tonight :[

Okocha needs to shut the hell up.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by CLT123(m): 4:09am On Nov 21, 2014
Texykool:
A lot of people are awake tonight :[

Okocha needs to shut the hell up.
He's right

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by Smooyis(m): 5:00am On Nov 21, 2014
Where was the coach looking. Right from onset did he not notice dis. We have hungrier and dedicated players all around the world, even on the bench. But keshi prefers his mediocre stars. For me Naija has got no good coach.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 21, 2014
People who played with passion,where are they now?
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 21, 2014
...Jay jay!
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by kliq(m): 9:23am On Nov 21, 2014
Jay Jay is right,there is no fighting spirit,passion,commitment level is zero and again no competition for a place in the squad which is due to Mr Keshi's cluelessness.
Back to the drawing board as usual. angry

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
coded01:
Where is the Passion? angry

Keshi's advocates! Where are they now? tongue
What do you guys want from Coach Keshi?

You guys said he is stubborn and arrogant. NFF sacks Okpala, his technical coach, Coach Keshi said okay.

NFF says he should reduce the number of home based players. He agreed.

You guys said he should Bring Back Uche. He agreed. Uche missed one on one.

You say he is not technical. He met a technical coach, Coach Shakes Mashaba of South Africa. Outplayed him and created more chances.

Musa missed two one on one chances. Uche missed his own. Emenike missed. Mikel was bundled in the box and the referee refused to give the penalty.

What do you want Coach Keshi to do again?

Okocha talking passion, is the guy that missed a penalty against Brazil when Nigeria was down 3-1 at Atlanta '96. He started laughing. The commentator was shocked and said he does not understand why Okocha was laughing at such a time.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:10pm On Nov 21, 2014
Smooyis:
Where was the coach looking. Right from onset did he not notice dis. We have hungrier and dedicated players all around the world, even on the bench. But keshi prefers his mediocre stars. For me Naija has got no good coach.
Why not list the players? Abi, it is no longer Uche.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by Smooyis(m): 11:29pm On Nov 21, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Why not list the players? Abi, it is no longer Uche.
A tree cannot make a forest. Ik did his best. The first goal came from his rebound. Our coaches are not good game readers. Keshi always act too late. Why not bring in Aron Samuel and Emen Udok on time? He failed right from the begining. A team that competed in the world cup and cannot qualify for African nations cup against the likes of congo, sudan and SA. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 12:02am On Nov 22, 2014
Smooyis:
A tree cannot make a forest. Ik did his best. The first goal came from his rebound. Our coaches are not good game readers. Keshi always act too late. Why not bring in Aron Samuel and Emen Udok on time? He failed right from the begining. A team that competed in the world cup and cannot qualify for African nations cup against the likes of congo, sudan and SA. What a shame.

I tire oh!!! embarassed
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:05am On Nov 22, 2014
Smooyis:
A team that win the World Cup, Spain, crashed out in then first rounds. With some of the best players football ever saw. Xavi, Silva, Iniesta, Alba, Xabi Alonso. Does that mean Coach Del Bosque can not read a match?

Please, we played well in that game. We had the chances, strikers missed. Aluko was in the right place to score, if not, Uche's shot would have been another miss.

Stop saying we have players. We do not. Aluko has only played 5 games at Hull City. That is how bad our talent pool is.

Coach Keshi worked hard. He was criticised for calling up Aaron Samuel. Now he is criticised for not starting him.

Coach Keshi did a wonderful job. He got his tactics right but the strikers could not bury the goals.

The defenders can blame fitness. The attackers were the culprits not Coach Keshi.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 12:08am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
What do you guys want from Coach Keshi?

You guys said he is stubborn and arrogant. NFF sacks Okpala, his technical coach, Coach Keshi said okay.

NFF says he should reduce the number of home based players. He agreed.

You guys said he should Bring Back Uche. He agreed. Uche missed one on one.

You say he is not technical. He met a technical coach, Coach Shakes Mashaba of South Africa. Outplayed him and created more chances.

Musa missed two one on one chances. Uche missed his own. Emenike missed. Mikel was bundled in the box and the referee refused to give the penalty.

What do you want Coach Keshi to do again?

Okocha talking passion, is the guy that missed a penalty against Brazil when Nigeria was down 3-1 at Atlanta '96. He started laughing. The commentator was shocked and said he does not understand why Okocha was laughing at such a time.

So you are questioning Okocha's passion for his beloved Nigeria... angry

The same Okocha una no wan make e retire, na him come turn bad belle... undecided

There are people that express their displeasure in an unusual way, so laughter is one, so transfer your anger on Keshi n NFF not Okocha... angry
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 12:09am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
A team that win the World Cup, Spain, crashed out in then first rounds. With some of the best players football ever saw. Xavi, Silva, Iniesta, Alba, Xabi Alonso. Does that mean Coach Del Bosque can not read a match?

Please, we played well in that game. We had the chances, strikers missed. Aluko was in the right place to score, if not, Uche's shot would have been another miss.

Stop saying we have players. We do not. Aluko has only played 5 games at Hull City. That is how bad our talent pool is.

Coach Keshi worked hard. He was criticised for calling up Aaron Samuel. Now he is criticised for not starting him.

Coach Keshi did a wonderful job. He got his tactics right but the strikers could not bury the goals.

The defenders can blame fitness. The attackers were the culprit not Coach Keshi.

Which teams did Spain lose to? undecided

Why didn't they lose to Australia? angry

We have no excuse losing to these teams? Simple as ABC!!! angry
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:13am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

The same Okocha una no wan make e retire, na him come turn bad belle... undecided

There are people that express their displeasure in an usual way, so laughter is one, so transfer your anger on Keshi n NFF not Okocha... angry
Okocha is someone who should not try to make himself a saint when it comes to the Super Eagles.

If you can see the game between Nigeria and Catalunya. We were losing 5-0. Okocha did not play that game and was laughing at the losing Nigerian team. Is that passion?

He was laughing at his team mates.

These guys make themselves feel like saints but many were culprits of lack of passion. France '98 friendlies. Germany (1-0), Yugoslavia (3-0), Netherland (5-1). The tournament proper. Paraguay (3-1), Denmark (4-1).
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

Which teams did Spain lose to? undecided

Why didn't they lose to Australia? angry

We have no excuse losing to these teams? Simple as ABC!!! angry
You think Spain conceding 5-0 to Netherland makes sense.

Please every good team can have a bad day. Just as Jay Jay and co. did on several occasions. Even teams like Togo beat our Atlanta team 4-0 before the Olympics.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 12:18am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Okocha is someone who should not try to make himself a saint when it comes to the Super Eagles.

If you can see the game between Nigeria and Catalunya. We were losing 5-0. Okocha did not play that game and was laughing at the losing Nigerian team. Is that passion?

He was laughing at his team mates.

These guys make themselves feel like saints but many were culprits of lack of passion. France '98 friendlies. Germany (1-0), Yugoslavia (3-0), Netherland (5-1). The tournament proper. Paraguay (3-1), Denmark (4-1).

For real? shocked

As much I expect our boys to win a few friendly matches then, these teams have great squads with sound managers but not qualifying for Nations cup in 2014 is no excuse ... angry

We are not suppose to be degrading but improving... embarassed

Less I forget, do you have any beef with Okocha? shocked grin
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:20am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

There are people that express their displeasure in an unusual way, so laughter is one, so transfer your anger on Keshi n NFF not Okocha... angry
Please, I was not among those clamouring for Jay Jay's return. I always believe in change and dynamic development of the team. That is why I supported Coach Keshi when he changed the big boys. That is why I wanted him to drop Emenike for Samuel.

I wanted players like Sunday Ibeji, Wilson Oruma and Emmanuel Ebiede to be given chances to prove themselves. The everyday Okocha led is to no trophies.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:22am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

For real? shocked

As much I expect our boys to win a few friendly matches then, these teams have great squads with sound managers but not qualifying for Nations cup in 2014 is no excuse ... angry

Can you compare the talent pool of the Super Eagles of the past with this Super Eagles.

These boys are doing their best with the little experience.

Do you remember the NFF saga? What about the Coach getting sacked during the qualifiers.

You can not expect the best from a bad foundation. Is it magic?
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:27am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

For real? shocked

I do not have any beef with Okocha. I hate when the truth is not told. Passion did not stop us from qualifying. The NFF did. People like Okocha should say it as it is.

During the Nations Cup, a sack letter was prepared for the Coach. What kind of condition is that? How many ex Super Eagles players slammed the NFF for unprofessional treatment of Coach Keshi?

When have the NFF owed a Coach in the History of this country? This man went for months without pay.

Coach Sylvanus Okpala, the head of the technical team was sacked by the NFF.

The NFF ordered Coach Keshi to reduce the number of home based players.

Coach Keshi has been working without a contract.

These are the reasons the form of our team flopped. Not passion or Coach Keshi.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 12:31am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
You think Spain conceding 5-0 to Netherland makes sense.

Please every good team can have a bad day. Just as Jay Jay and co. did on several occasions. Even teams like Togo beat our Atlanta team 4-0 before the Olympics.

Bayern lost to Real madrid 4-0 @ home! So what difference does it make? grin

Like you said, b4 d olympics... grin We aren't talking abt friendly here... undecided are we? angry
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:35am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

Bayern lost to Real madrid 4-0 @ home! So what difference does it make? grin

Like you said, b4 d olympics... grin We aren't talking abt friendly here... undecided are we? angry
I am talking of a team like Nigeria with the likes of Okocha, Kanu, Tijani Babangida, Oliseh, Uche Okechukwu who were playing at top clubs at Europe, losing 4-0 to a small Togolese team. Kanu was among the top ten footballers in the world.

Coach Keshi has not been spanked. We drew to a talented South African style despite the poor conditions and lack of talents.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:37am On Nov 22, 2014
People want to kill Coach Keshi, forgetting that the NFF deliberately frustrated the team and the coach.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:17am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Please, I was not among those clamouring for Jay Jay's return. I always believe in change and dynamic development of the team. That is why I supported Coach Keshi when he changed the big boys. That is why I wanted him to drop Emenike for Samuel.

I wanted players like Sunday Ibeji, Wilson Oruma and Emmanuel Ebiede to be given chances to prove themselves. The everyday Okocha led is to no trophies.

So keshi provided your so-called dynamic development & this has led to the disqualification of NIGERIA out of a group with South Africa, Congo n sudan... undecided

So Wilson Oruma n those other names you mentioned will prove to be better managers than Okocha... shocked Smh... grin
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:20am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Can you compare the talent pool of the Super Eagles of the past with this Super Eagles.

These boys are doing their best with the little experience.

Do you remember the NFF saga? What about the Coach getting sacked during the qualifiers.

You can not expect the best from a bad foundation. Is it magic?

At this level when football is a serious business, this is when Nigeria should be ranked among the very best not what we are seeing now... shocked angry

Yes, my advice is simple NFF or whatever they call themselves should be disbanded, coaching crew sacked n players dismantled... angry

Like you said, it is necessary to start a good foundation for Nigerian football... cool
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:26am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
I do not have any beef with Okocha. I hate when the truth is not told. Passion did not stop us from qualifying. The NFF did. People like Okocha should say it as it is.

During the Nations Cup, a sack letter was prepared for the Coach. What kind of condition is that? How many ex Super Eagles players slammed the NFF for unprofessional treatment of Coach Keshi?

When have the NFF owed a Coach in the History of this country? This man went for months without pay.

Coach Sylvanus Okpala, the head of the technical team was sacked by the NFF.

The NFF ordered Coach Keshi to reduce the number of home based players.

Coach Keshi has been working without a contract.

These are the reasons the form of our team flopped. Not passion or Coach Keshi.

One thing that we all Nigerians have realized over the decades is that the so called Football house is a joke, they are clueless n always making a mockery of Nigerian football... angry --- How many times have FIFA suspended the federation since it originally joined FIFA? lipsrsealed

As for you saying keshi was working without a contract is bogus, Are you his PA? undecided Keshi on a good day shouldn't have been allowed back into coaching Nigeria after been initially sacked... angry --- It is only in Nigeria we see this... lipsrsealed

My questions are simple:

Why are you so much denying how incompetent Keshi has been?

Why do you hate Okocha this much? You be paparazzi? grin
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:29am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

One thing that we all Nigerians have realized over the decade is that the so called Football house is a joke, they are clueless n always making a mockery of Nigerian football... angry --- How many times have FIFA suspended the federation since it originally joined FIFA? lipsrsealed

As for you saying keshi was working without a contract is bogus, Are you his PA? undecided Keshi on good day shouldn't have been allowed back into coaching Nigeria after been initially sacked... angry

My questions are simple:

Why are you so much denying how incompetent Keshi has been?

Why do you hate Okocha this much? You be paparazzi? grin

Coach Keshi's contract has not been renewed since after the World Cup.

How can we call someone who has helped improve our team incompetent?

We are better now than when he met the team.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:35am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

So keshi provided your so-called dynamic development & this has led to the disqualification of NIGERIA out of a group with South Africa, Congo n sudan... undecided

So Wilson Oruma n those other names you mentioned will prove to be better managers than Okocha... shocked Smh... grin

Let me explain myself. I like a dynamic developing team. Look at Man City for instance. You see changes in the team every year. Last season, Fernandinho, Demeichelis, Negredo, Navas helped the team. This season, Fernando, Mangala have been added. Next season you will see more.

In Coach Keshi's team, you constantly see him inviting new players to keep on building the team. I believe the static approach to the Kanu, Okocha Super Eagles made the most talent Super Eagles team go trophy less.

So you talked about the Clamour of Okocha's return as a player, not coach.

It goes against the dynamic philosophy. The likes of Oruma, Ebiede, never got a chance because our team was static for many years. A little dynamism and competition in roles would have helped.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:40am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Coach Keshi's contract has not been renewed since after the World Cup.

How can we call someone who has helped improve our team incompetent?

We are better now than when he met the team.

So what does that have to with his salary? Is he not getting paid? angry How on earth is a clueless coach as Keshi be allowed to remain or even in the 1st place allowed to take the players to World cup when he had the guts to play an Ameobi aged 32 now 33 who only scored 3 goals for Newcastle in 2 seasons totaling 49 games, Abi no bi striker ni? undecided Leaving an Uche with a good goal scoring record of 32 goals in 69 games. Mr. I support Keshi. explain why? undecided

Why not bring Aiyegbeni? angry

Losing to Congo @ home n losing to Sudan is better than b4? Really? shocked Mehn, if not for Internet! angry grin
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:44am On Nov 22, 2014
coded01:

So what does that have to with his salary? Is he not getting paid? angry How on earth is a clueless coach as Keshi be allowed to remain or even in the 1st place allowed to take the players to World cup when he had the guts to play an Ameobi aged 32 now 33 who only scored 3 goals for Newcastle in 2 seasons totaling 49 games, Abi no bi striker ni? undecided Leaving an Uche with a good goal scoring record of 32 goals in 69 games. Mr. I support Keshi. explain why? undecided

Why not bring Aiyegbeni? angry

Losing to Congo @ home n losing to Sudan is better than b4? Really? shocked Mehn, if not for Internet! angry grin
Shola Amoebi, had something to offer. Remember the Italy Match. The NFF wanted Coach Keshi to go with foreign professionals. So he put together a team in a short time. Ameobi's experience was important to the team. Only him and Mikel are the Super Eagles players who have been in top flight football for long. It is more than a pitch thing.

As for his salary, I think there is a pay as you we in arrangement.
Re: Okocha Slams Nigeria's Lack Of Passion by coded01: 1:46am On Nov 22, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
I am talking of a team like Nigeria with the likes of Okocha, Kanu, Tijani Babangida, Oliseh, Uche Okechukwu who were playing at top clubs at Europe, losing 4-0 to a small Togolese team. Kanu was among the top ten footballers in the world.

Coach Keshi has not been spanked. We drew to a talented South African style despite the poor conditions and lack of talents.

Like I said, are we talking friendly? undecided

Na today, men dey lose scandalously 4 friendly only to win trophies? tongue

The team no win Olympics? angry Guy, why are comparing friendlies to disqualification or being knocked out by Congolese & South Africa not forgetting the trashing sudan gave your Keshi-led team... grin

Why this excuse? shocked South Africa came to our land, you talking poor conditions! Really? Who suppose shame pass, angry you or keshi or players?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unbelievable: See The Picture Of The Guinean Player Who Tied “juju” On His Waist / 10 Days 2 Odds Rollover... Winnings Guaranteed / Checkout Ronaldo And Rashford Reaction To Fred Chip Vs Mendy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.