Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,789 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline (37725 Views)

The Economist On Naija Fuel Subsidies / Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre / Okonjo-iweala Announces Fuel Subsidies Will Be Removed - GEJ Please Sack Her Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 21, 2014
since1914:

This is the part I am still yet to comprehend (probably am not intelligent enough to understand such complexities), because, my understanding is that, if the NNPC says it buys crude oil at the prevailing market rates, then it means that when there is a drop in oil prices, consumers should also pay less. Our problem isn't entirely because of plummeting oil prices, but rather, is a direct fallout of our reckless spending habits.

Presently, the 36 state Governors have already started arm - twisting the President to share $2 billion from the Excess Crude Account with them to argument their current allocations., this in my opinion, is a very irresponsible demand not just because of the timing but because of the intent. These monies will simply be used as slush funds for elections.

I agree that we need to raise taxes, especially VAT, because, at 5% we currently have one of the lowest VATs in the world. We also need to review our Personal Income Taxes, because we have too many rich people who are barely paying taxes in this country. But all these still won't amount to anything if we are not prudent. For a start, the Minister of Finance needs to drastically cut down on recurrent expenditure. She needs to take a closer look at what is happening at the budget office, because I think that is where our problem lies. Those guys there are 'Over-budgeting' for things using, over-inflated expenditure templates to make budget estimates.

God bless you Fam .....if only we spent time discussing intelligently on this forum..Seun we need private threads on Nairaland, where we get to invite sensible people for discussions and positive arguments ,separating the wheat from chaff ...

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
[quote author=dmozart post=28221750] THIEVES. God will judge you all. As you lie glibly, bare-faced, deceiving and confusing your brother citizen for filthy lucre, so God will deal with you all. THERE IS NOTHING CALLED SUBSIDY. A BIIIIIGGGGG SCAM. Fuel Subsidy is a legal term for looting. WHY ARE OUR REFINERIES NOT WORKING? GEJ till Nigerians get sense!!! Couldn't all the Trillions spent since 2010 fix our refineries? God will judge you all that support impoverishment of this con3. [/quote

Sorry

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by BossTtdiamonds(m): 7:04pm On Nov 21, 2014
atlwireles:
Your sufferings will continue. How can a people be so out of touch with their own realities. I want government to sell fuel to you all for N5.00. You are a born Nigerian and you deserve it . Useless bunch of animals. angry angry angry angry angry angry

Your Dumb self can't even string words properly....
By 2015 your services 'll no longer be needed..and you'll be back on the streets Jobless...

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by atlwireles: 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

My Dumb self can't even string words properly....
By 2015 my services 'll no longer be needed..and I 'll be back on the streets Jobless...
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Adminisher: 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cut the subsidy by all means but if it results in a higher price at the pump then you are conspiring with crooked billionaires again and Nigerians will chase you and Patience out of Aso Rock so fast there wont be time to pack all your bowler hats.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by BossTtdiamonds(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
atlwireles:

It shall not be well with you...and the lot of individuals like you who are strugglin' to bring our country down....

Not a curse...but a Fact...

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by atlwireles: 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

It shall not be well with me...and the lot of individuals like me who are strugglin' to bring our country down....

Not a curse...but a Fact...
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by gloriteyemi(m): 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2014
APContherun:
People who ask what the govt is doing about fighting corruption needs to understand that the best and sure way to do so is block all avenues that lead to corruption. Cutting fuel subsidy is a sure way to reduce corruption in that sector, it may hurt in the short run but eventually everything will balance out.
But as has been said the President must have to carry the labour unions and civil society organisations along in the implementation of this policy but I doubt the unions will see reasons for it and it will be 1st Jan 2012 all over again.
i don't think any right thinking Nigerian will support subsidy removal again!
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by teadrake(m): 8:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
When you see a group of people mounting sluggant partisant gingoism,that is what we call gross veneuler.Ì hope this country is nt heading for destruction with this high rate of InJUSTICE?
And Martin Luther king jnr.quoted something regarding Injustice ''Injustice done anywhere,is a threat to Justice everywhere'',
Nelson Mandela made some backing by saying ''When a leader has done what he consider to be his duty to her country,he can now rest in peace''.Nigerian leader,keep deceiving us but one thing is certain,you can't deceive the almighty.You're taking ''our good people''emblem for granted but when we're exhausted,expect a deadly revolution in spirit
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by shalomblue: 8:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
If only we had functional refineries,we wld be talking about reduction in pump price and not removal of subsidy
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Kingspin(m): 8:09pm On Nov 21, 2014
idupaul:
I voted him in 2011 but in 2015 he just has to go .. Please Jonathan Go
JÕNATHAN is to be replace by ?
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by dmozart: 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2014
ayindejimmy:

I failed to grasp the logic behind your comments. Are you saying the only way I can prevent thieves from stealing my family's income is to reduce the amount of money I spend in maintaining my family? I shouldn't bother catching the thieves at all?
God bless you for this comment. The guy you quoted is obviously a beneficiary of d rot in dis govt whose favourite past-time is scamming and impoverishing its citizens. Nemesis will catch up with them all. They will surely pay!!! Very soon.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by teadrake(m): 9:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
I think Seun needs to start conducting a neurological test for some nairalanders.Some people are just too pathetic and miserable,despite several claim of rotten in the oil sector(including Mal.Sanusi claim of unremitted certain amount)Some people are still clamouring for total subsidy removal..this country is doom
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by philipobiz: 9:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
The reason the gvt has always given for the increase in pump price of fuel imported is the high cost of crude oil. Now that cost of crude oil dropped the pump price have not come down. Hope as the gvt is planning to reduce subsidy the pump price will come down or at worst remain unchanged. If this does not take place then something is fishy. This is just common sense
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by sevule(m): 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2014
Whynotthetruth:

What is this one saying?

Since it is pretty obvious that your English is quite deficient would you rather that I say it in Pidgin? Or maybe Yoruba or Igbo?
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by seanet01: 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2014
Invest your money in real estate. Lots of land, hostels, shopping complexes, self contained buildings and consumables like rcement. Transport is also good. forget about forex..
Don say i did not warn you.
nikpet2:
Please I need a good forex website I can invest my money in.. I don't have much experience in it so I'm gonna need someone who is gonna be able to help me..

Thank you
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Sodangi77: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2014
GEJ till 2019
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by teadrake(m): 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
Sodangi77:
GEJ till 2019
Pathetic of you mister
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by teadrake(m): 10:24pm On Nov 21, 2014
[quote author=ebig21 post=28210401]Good movement by DR EBELE JONATHAN[/quote']''It is he who has many palm kernel choose which to eat first''.You had only one hope and you Jeopardized it by your utterance..Óma se o
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by aspirebig: 11:53pm On Nov 21, 2014
How many times will they remove oil subsidy in this country?

I hope they mean the opposite of what I am thinking! That is reduction in fuel prices,so fuel can now be like N30 per litre,against this high price of N97 per litres. I even want the price to fall more,say N10 per litres,every night,we keep enriching few people by buying expensive fuel to power Gen,no light,Nepa has fixed monthly charges,whether u use it or not. Then,we pay taxes,no good sch,hospital,roads,no water,no security for the masses. Na wa oooo

The last experience is still very fresh in my mind, the removal of oil subsidy resulting to the increase in fuel price from N65 to N105,then after much protests which resulted to the death of many innocent Nigerians,GEJ reduce the price to N97 which people were compelled to be buying till date. Kerosene is even worst,it is sold for btw N150 to N220 per litres. Even the fuel in parts of Nigeria,it is sold for like N130 per litres upwards,oil producing country indeed. Many non oil producing countries have more and better oil distribution and supply than us.Dec is here,very soon,there will be queues in the filling stations...
It means another #Occupy tins!
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Coolcash1: 12:47am On Nov 22, 2014
GogetterMD:
There is nothing breaking about the news. Was expecting this as a new year gift from our generous Mr President, thanks to the ever falling price of crude oil and failure to curb the excesses of the subsidy thieves
What is the impact of the SURE-P funds from the last subsidy cut? What happened to the promise of prosecution of the subsidy thieves? What happened to the promise of renovation of existing refineries and building new ones? Oil theft and bunkering keeps increasing, not the other way around. Natural gas which is supposed to be a major source of income to the nation isn't, cause of the failure to have put a stop to gas flaring. More questions than answers

This is the kind of brains we need here on Nairaland. I love your sense of reasoning and strong memory.

To add to your comment, we will all recall that the argument always put forward by the government is that since the oil price in the international market has gone up in order to encourage marketers not to divert the products to another country the pump price has to go up for them (marketers) to recoup their cost and make some margin on it. Now that the price has crashed, is the fuel pump price not to go down?

This tells us all that we have chronic liars as leaders who are only interested in impoverishing Nigerians the more.

We will like to warn GEJ not to allow himself fall again to this economic deception of Okonjo Iweala( a woman I once respected but now has failed to leave up to good ethics,morals and values) because Nigerians are ready to occupy again. This time around it will be fight to finish.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by ayokellany: 1:27am On Nov 22, 2014
I doubt if Igboo people are ready to unite and return this clueless joke back to Otueke

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by aklosx(m): 2:55am On Nov 22, 2014
enough of dis trash joooooooooo

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Truckpusher(m): 3:05am On Nov 22, 2014
cramjones:
Is this not the GEJ that caused an occupy Nigeria? Is he not the one that paid billions of $$ to cronies in the name of subsidy and increased subsidy 10x? If I did not know GEJ, looking at this picture I will think he suffers from Downs or Edward's syndrome. The word clueless falls short in describing this picture. This was a picture taken on his birthday yesterday, and the picture shows you that the leader of Nigeria is indeed clueless. Is this the person that wants to rule Nigeria beyond 2015 (that is if Nigeria still exists)? His face tells it all. Fellows be wise, desist from voting a retard in power!

-CramJones
Has anyone ever called you a 'COMEDIAN' before? undecided

These days you sound more like a junkie comedian.Stop misleading the public and politicizing everything for that meager stipend you get from your paymasters abeg.

Sometimes when you say 'shiit' it does smell like shiit. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Nobody: 4:17am On Nov 22, 2014
Thank u
seanet01:
Invest your money in real estate. Lots of land, hostels, shopping complexes, self contained buildings and consumables like rcement. Transport is also good. forget about forex..
Don say i did not warn you.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Rexnegro(m): 4:42am On Nov 22, 2014
BruzMoney:
Hmmmm! When will it get beta??
Hmmm question that I also beg for answers bro...although I also ask when we will disintegrate ? Can't wait to see us go our separate ways.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by citizenisb: 10:41am On Nov 22, 2014
http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFKCN0J604220141122

ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria plans to cut subsidies on petroleum products by half next year after sharp falls in global crude prices, spurred the government to revise its 2015 budget downwards, data from the revised budget seen by Reuters showed on Friday.

President Goodluck Jonathan submitted the revised budget figures to lawmakers this week, proposing to spend 458.68 billion naira ($2.59 bln) on petrol subsidy in 2015, down from 971.14 billion naira presented for 2014.

It also assumed further cuts to petrol subsidies in 2016 to 408.68 billion naira and 371.18 billion naira for 2017.

Nigeria's finance minister has proposed lowering the assumed benchmark oil price for the country's 2015 budget to $73 per barrel from the $78 proposed in September, after global crude prices collapsed.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala told Reuters on Thursday that declines in the price of oil, which has lost almost 30 percent since July, would impact Africa's largest economy and top oil producer, requiring the government to cut non-essential spending and raise more revenues.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by citizenisb: 10:42am On Nov 22, 2014
Nigeria tried to end subsidy in 2012 in efforts to cut government spending and encourage badly needed investment in local refining, doubling the price of a litre of petrol overnight to about 150 naira ($0.93) from about 65 naira.

The move angered citizens, who see cheap petrol prices as the only benefit they derive from living in an oil-rich country, and lead to 8 days of nationwide strikes. The government later reinstated part of the subsidy to end the strikes.

The budget proposals assumed an exchange rate of 162 naira to the U.S. dollar for 2015, weaker than 160 naira assumed for 2014.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by morningsta(m): 10:10pm On Nov 22, 2014
Toks2008:

You guys still don't get it.

The big question is why have we not put the refineries into work all these years?

Imagine the ijebus bringing cassava to Lagos to process to ijebu garri and now take it back to ijebu land to sell at increase prices with the excuse that the facilities to process cassava to garri in ijebu land is faulty.

Cant you see that we have been taken for fools all these years?

these guys steal our crude oil through exporting and this is why they refused to repair as well as create more refineries yet they still suffer the citizens to pay for their own greed,lapses and mediocrity.

Is this fair?
So what solutions do you have in mind since you don't support the removal of oil subsidy? Mind you government has proven again and again to be unable to curb corruption in the oil industry.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:52am On Nov 23, 2014
sevule:

Since it is pretty obvious that your English is quite deficient would you rather that I say it in Pidgin? Or maybe Yoruba or Igbo?

Try Igbo...it will ease out some tension in you...
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by SME1: 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2014
Judging from ur write ups I can tell u lack d insight to tell wen corruption is eating deep.. I don't av d time to argue wt blind citizens like u, u obviously bereft of it. Keep ranting, pple like u are d reasons dis country will never move forward. Wen u start buying fuel for 500 naira per liter prolly u will come to ur senses. For now u can keep blowing unnecessary grammar
Whynotthetruth:

Bro, no need for abuses yet...why run away when you seem very ignorant...wait a second, let me explain to you how and why they are right...if they don't remove subsidy, then we keep paying importers and putting pressure on the naira hence we grow other economies and force ours and naira to go down...Also, if we don't remove subsidy then, private sector will not invest in that sector because government is the one regulating prices...can you remember the time of NITEL? and how that sector was deregulated? Finally, so with subsidy we will keep regulating that sector thereby pushing away private sector investment and encouraging importation which kills our economy and creates jobs in those countries we are importing from who have functional refineries....is it clear now..? if you don't understand Nigeria and run to another country... you will still run back more confused cos the problem is not in Nigeria but in you...safe journey

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Video: Nnamdi Kanu Allows His Handcuffs To Be Remove At Last / Osinbajo Refuses To Sign 4 Bills Into Law / Aso Rock Cabal, Saraki Begin Sabotage Of Osinbajo As PMB's Sickness Deepens - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.