Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? (1505 Views)

Security Officers Pose With The Dead Lion Killed In Jos (Pictured) / ‘khona’ By Mafikizolo Is Actually A Song For The Dead / The Origin Of "A Minute Of Silence" For The Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by jnrbayano(m): 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2014
As I observed a lying-in-state procession in a funeral ceremony I attended, I discovered there's always a pattern the dead is dressed.

In fact, this is not the first time I have observed this, but this time, it just placed a puzzle.

It is clear the dead's face is powdered, also the nasal and the ear holes blocked with cotton wool, I have wondered why.

Doctors in the house....
Morticians in the house....
The Religious in the house....
Nairalanders....

Is there any significance to;

1. Powder to the face?

2. Cotton wool to the nostrils?

3. Cotton wool to the ear holes?
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by theorbiters: 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
LMAO, powder to the face, I guess to look beautiful before God. As for the cotton wool part, I no knw.

#my humble opinion
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by Olaskybab: 1:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
D make-ups ar just dere 2 honour d dead since datz d last tin dey can do 4 him/her but as 4 d cotton wools,dey ar dere 2 cover all d holes leadin 2 external environmnt in d body.....If dem no cover am lasan,,,d smell wey go dey com out***u sef go run commot d place**

but sm ppl/tribes always remuv d wool in ears of a corpse wenevr it is set 2 b buried due 2 superstition belief though.....most xpecilly YORUBA
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by jnrbayano(m): 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
theorbiters:
LMAO, powder to the face, I guess to look beautiful before God. As for the cotton wool part, I no knw.

#my humble opinion

The bold is so funny

cheesy
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by jnrbayano(m): 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
Olaskybab:
D make-ups ar just dere 2 honour d dead since datz d last tin dey can do 4 him/her but as 4 d cotton wools,dey ar dere 2 cover all d holes leadin 2 external environmnt in d body.....If dem no cover am lasan,,,d smell wey go dey com out***u sef go run commot d place**

but sm ppl/tribes always remuv d wool in ears of a corpse wenevr it is set 2 b buried due 2 superstition belief though.....most xpecilly YORUBA

Your opinion is very sensible
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by cococandy(f): 7:49pm On Nov 21, 2014
Powder to the face, to hide the squalid pallor of the dead's skin.

Cotton wool to the Nostrils I think is to block whatever foul odor may emanate from the interior of the carcass(sorry for the choice of words)

In any case, they are mostly used where the method of preservation is sub par,hence to need to dress up the body in ways that hide obvious signs of degeneration.
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by jnrbayano(m): 8:48pm On Nov 21, 2014
cococandy:

Nostril to the nose. I think is to block whatever foul odor may emanate from the interior of the carcass(sorry for the choice of words)

In any case, they are mostly used where the method of preservation is sub par,hence to need to dress up the body in ways that hide obvious signs of degeneration.

Beautiful.

Since the corpse is going into the casket and right in, six feet deep, why's the worry about it's facial appearance?
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by cococandy(f): 8:57pm On Nov 21, 2014
jnrbayano:

Beautiful.

Since the corpse is going into the casket and right in, six feet deep, why's the worry about it's facial appearance?
for the well being of the viewers. I'm very sure that when the time comes, the last memory you wanna have of your dad or mom before they are buried isn't a face showing obvious signs of rot. wink
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by realborn(m): 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2014
cococandy:

Nostril to the nose. I think is to block whatever foul odor may emanate from the interior of the carcass(sorry for the choice of words)

Intelligent response.

Women with brains are worth more than a million men with no brains!

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by jnrbayano(m): 1:40pm On Nov 22, 2014
cococandy:
for the well being of the viewers. I'm very sure that when the time comes, the last memory you wanna have of your dad or mom before they are buried isn't a face showing obvious signs of rot. wink

Hmmm that's deep.

I can relate very well with this because that time has already come once.
Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2014
cococandy:

Cotton wool to the Nostrils I think is to block whatever foul odor may emanate from the interior of the carcass(sorry for the choice of words)

Re: Why Is The Dead's Face Powdered? by holyboss: 5:29pm On Nov 22, 2014
Well lemme park here just in case

@Op abt d topic undecided Me lono

(1) (Reply)

Your Childhood Wasn't Fun If You Didn't Do These. / MANNY PACQUIAO: How The Most Interesting Man In Boxing Spends His $400 Million / What Are The Things That Can Get You Banned On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.