Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child (14298 Views)

Female Circumcision Still Pratice In Nigeria!!! / Why Is Male Circumcision More Acceptable Than Female Circumcision? / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child by jbdasilva(m): 7:34am On Nov 22, 2014
Female Genital Mutilation (FMG) otherwise known as Female genital cutting or female circumcision is a barbaric act carried out behind closed doors in some parts of Africa, Nigeria inclusive. This act is carried out in such a way that a tip of the clitoris or the entire clitoris is cut off from the female Instruments.

This act is part of child abuse, imagine the physical and psychological trauma that girl will go through. We do hear cases of some girl child that bled to death during this act. Some of the girls that survive this trauma will tell you, they feel less of a woman if they grow into adult.

I was reading an article published by one of our NGO's in Nigeria the other time where a 16 year old girl and her mother were banished from their village because the girl refused being circumcised. According to their tradition, every first female child of a family (otherwise called the Ada) will be circumcised on her 16th birthday. I was like, how do they expect a fully grown, educated 16 year old girl to lie down and let you use blade or knife to cut off part of her womanliness all in the name of one tradition? That is very much impossible.

I was pondering on why these people carry out this heinous act on their daughters and according to my findings, apart from the fact that it is part of their tradition; they carry out this act because; Click Link to read full shocking details----------->http://www.talkwithdasilva.com/2014/11/understanding-female-circumcision-and.html

Re: Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child by Fulaman198(m): 7:52am On Nov 22, 2014
I don't like to refer to it as Genital Mutilation (even though that's what it is), I think it is done out of pure naivety. I don't think people realize how much damage and pain women go through when this occurs. In any case, I'm not going to be judgmental, but I do think that it needs to end.

Thus, should this be in the cultural section or the health section? that's the real question. Is it cultural? in a way yes it is. However, this thread can belong in so many categories. I will leave it in the culture section for the time being.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child by jbdasilva(m): 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2014
great, would have love it to be in other sections too, so that we can all learn one or two things from it but lipsrsealed.......
Re: Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 22, 2014
Poor little brave kids up there. This happens even in towns.

I however think that its role as a right of passage into adulthood is what makes it so widely accepted.

Back here there was a massive womens demonstration from a practicing community against the government outlawing of the same. They complained that their men were refusing to marry the uncircumcised and they were getting babies while at unmarried (Same men). Seems men have a great role to play here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Kwale A Town Or Tribe? Pls Clarify Me / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language? / There Are Many Igbos In Rivers State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.