Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,783 members, 7,955,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:51 PM

Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? (2048 Views)

He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by damiso(f): 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2014
I always hear this statement and In a way it is one that I agree with.Being Friends with your spouse is one thing that sustains a marriage when the whole honeymoon phase passes

I just think phrases like 'if you have to invite your best friend to your wedding you are marrying the wrong person'(saw a meme with that on Instagram with zillions of likes ) is just beginning to take that cliche a bit too far.Of course you need to marry someone who is your friend but does that truly mean being married means you can't have other people who you hold dear?

I can't say I have a best friend per se and these days based on who I get to interact with the most yeah my husband could said to be my best friend.We talk alot, have similar interests, laugh together, make jokes tease and taunt each other etc etc.I guess life and family commitments has made it that way these days but I still have very dear friends (mostly female and 1 male me and hubby actually met through him) who are actually like my family. We don't get to see or talk as much as before(I am bad with keeping in touch embarassed but I try) but when we see its like we never lost touch.As at the time we got married I could say one in particular (we have been friends since we were children) and she had seen me through my best and worst times even more than my husband.Maybe not the case now years down the line but at the time on the friend scale preference she would have probably scored a few more points than hubby.

I know some people who actually have BFFs who are not their spouses but does that really mean they don't have happy marriages? Or what if you think your spouse is your best friend but they still have another friend who they can also bare their soul to? You know those friends who have been through everything together. Or what of spouses who try to break that best friend bond has with the other person forcefully?

I hear so many people say 'there are no real friends your children and your spouse are your friends' which could be true as indeed human beings can be terrible BUT can one really get all the social interaction one needs from just your spouse and children? I Know some people are ok with that but with some is that not too much of a burden to place on the spouse and even your children?

Your views are welcome everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by kadas01(m): 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2014
Ideally, I feel your spouse should be your best friend!

2 Likes

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by mooremedia: 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2014
You can't always marry your best Friend,
because sometimes it could be the opposite sex
but we should always endeavour to marry a friend.

cuz when you marriage hits rock bottom,it could be
the only thing,that will save it.

3 Likes

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by emeraldoe(f): 10:14pm On Nov 22, 2014
My hubby was my friend for a long period of time b4 we started dating and eventually got married. We are likes peas in a pod. My friend got married 6 months after she met her partner and they are now inseparable. U can get married to ur best friend(opposite sex) or develop friendship wen u get married.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 22, 2014
smiley
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 22, 2014
If He/she won't be your best friend, who will?
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 22, 2014
HE is my best male friend but I have also two females as my best friends.

He has got a male best friend.

I can't replace his male best friend and I don't want to.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 22, 2014
If Someone you see everyday can't be your best friend,I wonder who will?

1 Like

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by LewsTherin: 4:25am On Nov 23, 2014
Who's a best friend? The person you're happiest to be with. The person who knows you more than any other. The person you know more than any other. The person who's always got your back. The person you share your joys with first. The person that comforts your sorrows first. The person you tell your deepest darkest dankest thoughts too. And so on and so forth.

If this person ain't your spouse, you're in for a long thing.

They may not be your bestie before you get married but they had better be after you say I do or you just placed a bur in your marriage. A bur is that tiny imperfection on a smooth surface that irritates the snot out of you everytime you rub your hand over it. Sooner or later it begins to tear skin. You wouldn't want that in a marriage, will you?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nmeri17: 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2015
for your own good, I say a very big YES. SOJJAS wii come and go but your spouse will should remain

how do you even court someone that isn't your best friend?? nor be boredom go "do us part" before the main wedding ke cheesy
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
No.

I mean, if you're married to and/or dating/marrying your best friend that's great whatever works, but I've personally always made a distinction between my best friends, and my S/O. Wonderful though they are, I wouldn't date any of my best friends (male among them anyway) anymore than I would tag my S/O as some sort of chief 'bestie', or whatnot, among them.

In my mind, he's his own separate category.

We're not "two peas in a pod" as an above user described it - the attraction and chemistry is def there, but we've divergent interests/hobbies/personalities (tho they're some core similarities that bind us).

My 'EX', RIP, was the same way with the added element of the wild, otherworldly attraction and captivation that is first love's domain.

Observation: I've seen best friends fall for each other only to fall to pieces, so I don't think being 'besties' is necessarily relationship-salvaging.

Advice: If your spouse/fiancé/bf/gf is indeed your "best friend", take care that they not be your only [best] friend.

2 Likes

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by bukatyne(f): 12:15am On Jun 29, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
No.

I mean, if you're married to and/or dating/marrying your best friend that's great whatever works, but I've personally always made a distinction between my best friends, and my S/O. Wonderful though they are, I wouldn't date any of my best friends (male among them anyway) anymore than I would tag my S/O as some sort of chief 'bestie', or whatnot, among them.

We're not "two peas in a pod" as an above user described it - the attraction and chemistry is def there, but we've divergent interests/hobbies/personalities (tho they're some core similarities that bind us).

My 'EX', RIP, was the same way with the added element of the wild, otherworldly attraction and captivation that is first love's domain.

Observation: I've seen best friends fall for each other only to fall to pieces, so I don't think being 'besties' is necessarily relationship-salvaging.

Advice: If your spouse/fiancé/bf/gf is indeed your "best friend", take care that they not be your only [best] friend.

Interesting advice

Mine is.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
bukatyne:

Interesting advice

Mine is.

Nah, in my eyes an S/O can't be a best friend talk less of being my only best friend. That's two separate roles in one, and too much time spent. I need time away with my best friends, friends, and family, etc. I also need breathing space for myself.

Different strokes, I guess.

I've also found that men can rarely revert to being "just friends" post-relationship. After having broken up with someone (it was hella short-lived btw) we fell into a friendship only to have him pining on the sly, and pulling stunts years later. Still not sure how I missed it, but I def learned my lesson, lol.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

I've also found that men can rarely revert to being "just friends" post-relationship. After having broken up with someone (it was hella short-lived btw) we fell into a friendship only to have him pining on the sly, and pulling stunts years later. Still not sure how I missed it, but I def learned my lesson, lol.
I think it's the other way round , I always maintain a friends only relationship with exes but in many occasions ( don't take it to mean I'm the serial heart breaker ) the ladies start to develop old feelings and want to take it further. I have always found it hard to reciprocate feelings of love to anyone I do not love anymore ( note the clause though ). This has helped me to maintain my stance as a one man one woman kinda guy , I also do not do one night stands or have sex on a first date.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

I think it's the other way round , I always maintain a friends only relationship with exes but in many occasions ( don't take it to mean I'm the serial heart breaker ) the ladies start to develop old feelings and want to take it further. I have always found it hard to reciprocate feelings of love to anyone I do not love anymore ( note the clause though ). This has helped me to maintain my stance as a one man one woman kinda guy , I also do not do one night stands or have sex on a first date.

Mmm, I'd say it's definitely usually the guy (at least from what I've seen and experienced), but whichever way 'round, it's no longer possible to be friends. There's nothing else for it. You have to let 'em go completely.

I don't believe in so-called "friend-zoning". The minute I get the feeling you want 'more', you get the boot. That's the way it should be, IMO. It just isn't worth it otherwise, and it's unfair and way too much drama.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by damiso(f): 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
No.

Advice: [b]I[/b]f your spouse/fiancé/bf/gf is indeed your "best friend", take care that they not be your only [best] friend.

Just saw this.. I totally agree. I really do believe placing the 'only' friend tag on another human being is a really big ask spouse or not.

1 Like

Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2015
damiso:

Just saw this.. I totally agree. I really do believe placing the 'only' friend tag on another human being is a really big ask spouse or not.

*double
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2015
damiso:

Just saw this.. I totally agree. I really do believe placing a the 'only' friend tag on another human being is a really big ask spouse or not.

I feel that you're essentially dumping everything (or most everything) on just one person that way. It also leaves you too vulnerable, spouse or not. It's healthier to have a few more people who're there for you, and you're also there for.
Re: Must Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend? by mcdokwe(m): 7:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
Whose arm would you rather be caught resting on?
Whose shoulders would you rather cry on?
Your spouse or a friend?
Who should be your best friend?

(1) (Reply)

Your View On Maltreating Kids Staying With You / Is Physical Appearance Enough To Say "NO"? / My Wife Had An Affair!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.