Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,470 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:05 AM

Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa (72130 Views)

Nigerian Man Removed From UK Flight Over 'prayer' Message On His Phone / Should Nigerians Pay £3000 For UK Visa Bond?? / Her Uk Travel Woes; Any Recourse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by r231(m): 7:29am On Nov 23, 2014
Nigerian Man marries his own daughter to get her UK Visa

A Nigerian Home Office worker ‘married’ his own daughter to get her a British visa, The extraordinary scam was apparently executed by Jelili Adesanya while ministers turned a blind eye.

Mr Adesanya, 54, has lived here for more than 30 years and holds a British passport, but wanted his daughter, her husband and their four sons to join him from Nigeria.

He faked a wedding ceremony complete with a photograph of the happy ‘couple’ which helped fool immigration officials that his daughter, Karimotu Adenike, was really his wife.

Miss Adenike, who is in her mid-30s, was duly granted permission to live in the UK.

The pair are waiting for her to be granted a permanent right to remain before they undergo a quiet divorce and attempt to bring the rest of her family here.

It is expected she would try to remarry her real husband to get them all visas.

But despite being tipped off two years ago, the Home Office seems to have done nothing to stop the scam by one of their own workers.

Until recently, Mr Adesanya was employed as an occupational health nurse for the Home Office, working with immigration officials at Gatwick airport.

A whistleblower sent letters to the High Commission in Lagos and the UK Border Agency including specific details such as names, addresses, passport numbers and even a copy of the wedding photograph.

When there was no response, he sent emails to then Home Secretary Jacqui Smith and ministers Vernon Coaker and Phil Woolas on February 1 this year. He heard nothing.

Mr Adesanya, who came to Britain in 1976, flew back to Nigeria on May 29, 2007, and held the bogus wedding ceremony a few days later at a register office in Ikorodu, Lagos.

A source said: ‘They paid people to attend the wedding so that the British High Commission in Lagos would believe it was genuine. The commission then gave Karimotu Adenike a two-year settlement visa in October 2007.

‘On her settlement visa application form, of course, she did not mention that she already had a husband and four children.

‘The date of birth on her Nigerian passport is not her real date of birth.’

Miss Adenike is believed to have aged herself by ten years on her wedding certificate to disguise the age gap with her father.

Although her settlement visa expired last month, she is hoping to be given the right to remain.

David Burrowes, the Conservative MP for Enfield Southgate and Shadow Justice Minister, was also tipped off by the whistleblower and wrote to the Home Office.

This time there was a reply, but it said that although the matter was ‘under investigation’, no further information would be provided because it could ‘breach of our obligations under the Data Protection Act’.

Mr Burrowes told the Mail: ‘I am very surprised and concerned that no action appears to have been taken, because the allegations are extremely serious.’

Mr Adesanya, who lives with his daughter in Dagenham, Essex, vehemently denied the plot and said he had never been questioned about the allegations.

He said: ‘Married my own daughter? I have never heard anything like this in my life. I deny it. She is my wife, not my daughter.’

However, asked to confirm his ‘wife’s’ date of birth, he said he did not know without checking her passport, and refused to allow her to speak for herself.

Unbeknown to him, his daughter had confirmed the arrangement when she told a friend she would shortly apply for her own British passport and ‘divorce daddy’.

Last night Jonathan Sedgwick, from the UK Border Agency, said: ‘These individuals are already under investigation, and I want to make it clear that abuse of our immigration laws will not be tolerated.

‘If we identify marriages which we believe are not genuine, we will challenge them and prosecute where appropriate.

‘We are determined to send home any foreign nationals convicted of these types of crimes once they have served their sentences.’

http://nigeriacamera.net/nigerian-man-marries-his-own-daughter-to-get-her-uk-visa/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by jigga40(m): 7:43am On Nov 23, 2014
I call this HUSTLE!!!.......very funny, people just wanna hustle their way out of that Country by crook or by hook!!!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by overlord29(m): 8:34am On Nov 23, 2014
Omoh see Gobey!

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by datguru: 8:34am On Nov 23, 2014
Na wa ooo

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by coldgate(f): 8:34am On Nov 23, 2014
While not in support of the scam, I am also not surprised to hear that they got wind of the issue from a whistle blower. Some Nigerians and their bad belle.

223 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by GentleMimi: 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
grin. Naija peeps will go through everything under the sun to escape this country.
A married woman willingly married her father, with the husband's blessings. Chai. Wetin remain again? I understand the motive, but their actions no just gel. This country has pushed ppl to do unimaginable things, just to escape. But not withstanding, many still succeed here. Na just matter of luck, grace and handwork.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
Thats 9ja for u.

Thank God I was born and brought up in the US.

No need to fake visa.

Ooops!
Make I go read for Exam 2Moro.
To pass exam for Cambridge university no be day job.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Ishilove: 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
jigga40:
I call this HUSTLE!!!.......very funny, people just wanna hustle their way out of that Country by crook or by hook!!!
This kain hustle get k-leg

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by MMMI(m): 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
shocked men tinzz re hapenin seriously...hustle tight[/color][color=#000099][b][/b]
Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by KUNZEH(m): 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
naija sha...hustling tins

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by pappilo(m): 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
Who be this whistleblower sef. Bad belle pipu. Lef the man na!

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by MizTyna(f): 8:35am On Nov 23, 2014
Wow! Amebos finished them

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by frenchman(m): 8:36am On Nov 23, 2014
This one na old gist now

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by tempest01(m): 8:37am On Nov 23, 2014
all these bad belle whistle blowers sef....him think say then go give am visa for work well done?

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Tic4tac(m): 8:37am On Nov 23, 2014
pheww...oga ooo
Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by wiringdpt(m): 8:37am On Nov 23, 2014
Chai
Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by englishmart(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2014
this marriage must be devoid of sex

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Some people are stupidly desperate sha.. undecided
Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Canme4u(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2014
No be today nah.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Welrez(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Already on frontpage with one comment... Smh
Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by DONMAYOR19(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Nigerian just love anything visa. why going such an extra miles when he can just get togo, benin republic or even ghana visa for nothing. that is if Nigerian even require visa to enter those countries.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 23, 2014
Naija, I hail thee o.

www.yemisis blog.com

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by MAYOWAAK: 8:40am On Nov 23, 2014
SLIDEwaxie:
Some people are stupidly desperate sha.. undecided

“Desperation can make a person do surprising things.”

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 23, 2014
Terrible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Photographer Captures Photos Of 'Never Before Seen' Yellow Penguin (Pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.