Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Is Osu Still In Vogue? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Osu Still In Vogue? (2590 Views)

Lets Talk About Osu In Igboland? / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Osu Still In Vogue? by luka1981(m): 8:49pm On Nov 27, 2008
in some villages today it is very iportant u trace whether ur spouse is from slave or freeborn family, in ibo called osu,i want to know the general opinion about this nonsense started by our ancestor.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by MrCrackles(m): 8:50pm On Nov 27, 2008
this one pass me oo

ask Danke!! grin
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by chika98: 8:57pm On Nov 27, 2008
What the hell are you on about?
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by luka1981(m): 9:06pm On Nov 27, 2008
chika98:

What the hell are you on about?
for those who don,t know all the nigerian cultures, especially the igbo culture, it is said that tradition forbide some people to marry themselves as a result of who is a slave(osu) and who is a free born(amadu). my question is whether it is still applicable? because we are in a modern age.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by chika98: 9:09pm On Nov 27, 2008
luka1981:

for those who don,t know all the nigerian cultures, especially the igbo culture, it is said that tradition forbide some people to marry themselves as a result of who is a slave(osu) and who is a free born(amadu). my question is whether it is still applicable? because we are in a modern age.

Some people still don't marry osu if that is what you are asking. It is still applicable in most cases.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Sauron1: 9:10pm On Nov 27, 2008
Who is an Osu??
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by luka1981(m): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2008
what about when u have falen in love in the city. only for village people to come and use custom stories to destroy ur happiness.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by luka1981(m): 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2008
~Sauron~:

Who is an Osu??
an osu is somebody whose greatgrandparents were sold during the slave era
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by chika98: 9:26pm On Nov 27, 2008
luka1981:

what about when u have falen in love in the city. only for village people to come and use custom stories to destroy ur happiness.

Well it does happen.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Nov 27, 2008
luka1981:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

YEH I AM AN OSU THEN!!! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by chika98: 9:29pm On Nov 27, 2008
luka1981:

this is incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Sauron1: 9:30pm On Nov 27, 2008
luka1981:

Cheese n Rice!!!
So anyone born from this family tree is an outcast?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by tpia: 11:44pm On Nov 27, 2008
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by ikamefa(f): 11:46pm On Nov 27, 2008
tpia:

Thats why you see Naijas abroad embracing a different set of rules when they want to marry a foreigner. When they're marrying a fellow Nigerian its a totally different pot of tea.

gbam!

osu koo! isu nii!
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Ifygurl: 7:40am On Nov 28, 2008
luka1981:

in some villages today it is very iportant u trace whether ur spouse is from slave or freeborn family, in ibo called osu,i want to know the general opinion about this nonsense started by our ancestor.

You've asked this question before and people answered it's too complicated, Noone really understand it.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Ifygurl: 7:42am On Nov 28, 2008
luka1981:

That's incorrect. It's different from what my mother told me.

The person asking what Osu means? If your Igbo, ask you parents; they'll explain it.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by unipol(m): 10:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
kkk
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:09am On Jun 16, 2011
can i ask a question are Osu ethnically Ibos with Ibo ancestry
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 16, 2011
Simply put: An Osu is a person/descendants of a person who was a slave to a deity. It is quite complicated.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by ifyalways(f): 11:08am On Jun 16, 2011
The only thing complicated with OSu is that ndi Igbo uzo/ofeke's have decided not to die the matter especially online.I just love Tpia's post!
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by activistte: 11:42am On Jun 16, 2011
Breaking NEW : Police Headquarters is on FIRE
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Ngodigha: 10:45pm On Jun 16, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

can i ask a question are Osu ethnically IGbos with IGbo ancestry
Can you get a keyboard that will type Igbo.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:01pm On Jun 17, 2011
Okoro2015:

Simply put: An Osu is a person/descendants of a person who was a slave to a deity. It is quite complicated.

ah! so they were ppl dedicated to the Gods. interesting. so, they must be proud of themselves. smiley
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:16pm On Jun 17, 2011
Ngodigha:

Can you get a keyboard that will type Igbo.

Igbo/Ibo, dey d same thing.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by Ngodigha: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Igbo/Ibo, dey d same thing.
Is Gbenga and Benga the same?.
You pig, it's Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:40am On Jun 18, 2011
ur mom pig. i prefer Ibo n i dont mind callin even Ebo or even Heebo. go ask d elders u deluded bufoon n stop pestrin.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by africhika(f): 9:13pm On Jun 23, 2011
i asked my dad to explain this 'osu' thing. he got so angry and told me not to raise the issue ever again.
sad
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by africhika(f): 9:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
tpia on: 27 November 2008, 18:44:15:

its only when the marriage is a family affair that someone's ancestry becomes the main issue.

Nigerians marry all kinds of unannounced "osu-like" foreigners abroad without anyone raising an eyelid.

How many Naijas check the background credentials of their prospective foreign partners before marriage? And even assuming they could, how much can they actually find out if the spouse doesnt tell them?

Say the partner's name is Pocket. You discover records for a Pocket who was jailed and deported to Australia as a criminal two hundred years ago. Meanwhile, Pocket is a common name and there are thousands of unrelated people in your town bearing that name. Your partner says s/he knows nothing about this other Pocket and they arent related. You'll still go ahead with the wedding anyway. And besides, many Nigerians marry the same kind of people they turn their noses up at home, when they go abroad. Who has the time or inclination to check records. Especially if its a green card marriage (that will still produce pikins oh).

Thats why you see Naijas abroad embracing a different set of rules when they want to marry a foreigner. When they're marrying a fellow Nigerian its a totally different pot of tea.

tpia, u better preach! cool
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by unipol(m): 4:31pm On Aug 21, 2011
africhika:

i asked my dad to explain this 'osu' thing. he got so angry and told me not to raise the issue ever again.
sad

then your dad must be one.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by harakiri(m): 8:12pm On Aug 21, 2011
Do people still talk about the osu caste system in this internet age? Some "villagers" who over flog the osu issue are neck deep into voodoo than the osu deities. So much hypocrisy and double standards are part of the hinderances nigeria has. If a lady wanted to marry a billionaire and the parents found out he was an osu, would they stop their daughter from marrying him? They wouldn't dare mention it (even to their daughter). Some of the people who do the osu "research" are people who claim to be "holy christians". So much hypocrisy in the land,it makes me sick! ! !
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by odumchi: 10:06pm On Aug 21, 2011
Osu are quite different from slaves. For example let's say an Igbo army raids a neighbouring village. Their warriors are killed, their men are sold into slavery and their children are taken as slaves but none become osu. The children will be treated well as servants/slaves. They'll be fed, respected by foreigners and might gain power and influence within a community.

An osu is someone who is shunned in the community and estranged for committing a Crime or for some other complicated manner. Osu were lower than slaves in the social ladder. But it's a complicated matter and isn't widespread. It's a complicated topic and shouldn't really be discussed by outsiders.
Re: Is Osu Still In Vogue? by mbatuku1: 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2011
odumchi:

Osu are quite different from slaves. For example let's say an Igbo army raids a neighbouring village. Their warriors are killed, their men are sold into slavery and their children are taken as slaves but none become osu. The children will be treated well as servants/slaves. They'll be fed, respected by foreigners and might gain power and influence within a community.

An osu is someone who is shunned in the community and estranged for committing a Crime or for some other complicated manner. Osu were lower than slaves in the social ladder. But it's a complicated matter and isn't widespread. It's a complicated topic and shouldn't really be discussed by outsiders.

Those are the key words.

But they(non-Igbos) seem to be more fascinated by it than Igbos themselves.r and isn't widespread. It's a complicated topic and shouldn't really be discussed by outsiders.
[quote][/quote]

Those are the key words.

But they(non-Igbos) seem to be more fascinated by it than Igbos themselves.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ewi / What Are The Highest Paying Translation Languages In The World? / Traditional Wrapper: How Rivers Women Preserved This Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.