Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,451 members, 7,836,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings (825 Views)

Medical Doctors, Please Be Honest, Why Is Staph. Resistant To Antibiotics? / Why Doctors Handwritings Are So Poor ? / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Akbee(m): 5:43am On Nov 24, 2014
It is obvious that poor handwriting is synonymous with the medical profession. Doctors' sloppy handwriting kills more than
7,000 people annually. It's a shocking
statistic, and, according to a July 2006
report from the National Academies of
Science's Institute of Medicine (IOM),
preventable medication mistakes also injure
more than 1.5 million Americans annually.
Many such errors result from unclear
abbreviations and dosage indications and
illegible writing.
Handwriting experts across the world have established that consistently illegible handwriting is
indicative of a subconscious inclination to
be careless, negligent and sloppy towards
the person for whom it has been written.
Therefore, if a doctor writes illegibly for his
patients, it means he is inconsiderate to
the recipients of the prescriptions.
It’s like an attitude imprinted on the paper,
which could be roughly put into words in
the following manner: “I don’t care
whether you are able to read it or not; I
don’t care whether you get well or not; I
am sitting here doing my job the way I
like, in my own style. How much you will
be benefitted from my skills is your
problem and I am not going to be least
bothered about what happens to you after
you leave this cabin. Just pay the fee to
my assistant and get out…”
Most doctors
argue that they write illegibly because
they are in haste and they have to attend
to many patients. Now, I have a little
problem with this argument. It’s complete
hogwash. We can prove it.
On an average, a doctor does not write
more than 40 words on a prescription.
Let’s assume that it takes them about
three minutes to write a prescription in
illegible handwriting. But if they write
legibly, maybe they will take four minutes.
Not more than that. The difference is just
about 60 seconds. Doc, are you telling us
that you write illegibly because you are
too busy to spare 60 seconds to the
person who is paying you for it? Sorry, sir,
give me another one. If you consistently
write illegibly for your patients, it shows
your carelessness and inconsideration.
What is your take on this?
Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Akbee(m): 5:49am On Nov 24, 2014
what if u were dating a doc n he wrote u this love letter?lady u wud need an expert at deciphering to do the magic.lesson!
.u pay someone to read ur love letter to u cos ur man was too busy to write like an adult. lol

Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 24, 2014
yes! I notice this. its very annoying and unprofessional u know.they be writing zigzag and stuff people ain't gonna understand!
Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:22am On Nov 24, 2014
To me, I think it's because of d rush. No time for fyn handwriting when a doctor has about 100 people waiting to receive medical attention 4rm him.
Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Akbee(m): 6:26am On Nov 24, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
To me, I think it's because of d rush. No time for fyn handwriting when a doctor has about 100 people waiting to receive medical attention 4rm him.
i do write as fast as a doctor but i still make sure that my audience(readers) understand the contents.
Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:29am On Nov 24, 2014
I think it is deliberate to avoid self medication.only a fellow health pro can decepher the scribling

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Lumyboi(m): 6:52am On Nov 24, 2014
That your argument is nt so accurate. Agreed most doctors have horrible writings...however, most times they use medical abbreviations and shortened forms, it's not for a patient anyway. It's for another health care worker to read. So it's basically u not been able to decipher. If u ask for wot any doc wrote for u am sure he or she will explain.
Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 24, 2014
I've never been to the hospital!!

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by rawpadgin(m): 7:36am On Nov 24, 2014
grin @ a time i thought 'fowl scratch' handwriting is one of the criteria of becoming a doctor grin

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors And Their Illegible Handwritings by Akbee(m): 7:46am On Nov 24, 2014
Yungwizzzy:
I've never been to the hospital!!
u were probably born in a kernel.lol

(1) (Reply)

Types Of Phobia You Don't Know!!!!! / Why You Must Exercise In Cold Winter / Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.