Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than (581 Views)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / Common Denomination In Church Offering Bags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than by dein77(m): 7:32am On Nov 24, 2014
First and foremost, there's only one Church, which is the Body of Christ. And to this Body belongs ALL Christians. Jesus Christ is the Church's one Foundation.

But i saw meet with fellow Christians, majority are more willing and quicker to tell me of their Denomination than discuss Christ or Christianity in general. I believe such people do not really understand the meaning of the Body of Christ.

People are very quick to say I AM A DEEPER LIFER , I WORSHIP IN LIVING FATH, or I BELONG TO SALVATION MINISTRY or I'M A CATHOLIC, etc. This emphasis should have been I AM A CHRISTIAN!

If the discussion warrants naming a denomination, it's fine. But this undue emphasis on denomination is creating more division and disunity in the Body of Christ.

There's no any special heaven dedicated to each denomination. Infact, denominationalism was never the idea of Christ. Let's walk in love and oneness. Let's use every occasion to promote Christ, instead of our denominations.

Good morning, and God bless you all.

Christ the King reigns. All hail Him!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than by italo: 10:05am On Nov 24, 2014
Firstly, The Catholic Church is not a denomination. At least, it doesn't see itself that way. There is nothing like "denominations" in Christianity. There is only one Church, founded by Jesus Christ on St. Peter 2000 years ago...and That is the Catholic Church.

Coming to your question:

It depends on the situation. Sometimes I'm quicker to tell you I'm Catholic because I know our understanding of Jesus is the true understanding.

If I say I am a follower of Christ, the listener might wonder "which Christ?" Is it the one that told Oyakhilome that masturbation is not a sin? Or the one that told Rev King to burn people alive? Or the one Jehovah's witnesses say is not God? Or the one that many pentecostals say will give you all the money you want if you say the "personal Lord" prayer? Etc

I dont want to be associated with the "Jesuses" that these denominations have manufactured, so I say I'm Catholic so you know I'm talking of the Jesus that the Catholic Church preaches.

Moreover, The Catholic Church is the body of Christ, so when I speak of it, I'm speaking of Jesus.
Re: Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than by dein77(m): 11:09am On Nov 24, 2014
Hmmmm.....I can with some of your points.

Well, thank God Christ is the one Body to which we all belong as soon as we receive Him as our Saviour.

I have a reservation with ur assertion that Christ founded His Church on Peter. Agreed Peter played a very crucial and leading role in the administration of the early Church, but the church wasn't built on Peter.

That's another matter entirely. ....
Re: Why Are People Quicker To Tell You Of Their Denomination Than Of Christ? Than by italo: 11:34am On Nov 24, 2014
dein77:
Hmmmm.....I can with some of your points.

Well, thank God Christ is the one Body to which we all belong as soon as we receive Him as our Saviour.

I have a reservation with ur assertion that Christ founded His Church on Peter. Agreed Peter played a very crucial and leading role in the administration of the early Church, but the church wasn't built on Peter.

That's another matter entirely. ....

Matt16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

(1) (Reply)

Come! Love Awaits You! / Santa Claus Or Satan Claus;-is Santa Claus Satanic? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.