Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. (3556 Views)

Bus Driver Uses Screw Driver As Car Key In Lagos (Photos) / A Car With Ankara Paint / Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 24, 2014
___ you wouldn't wanna be in my shoes as @ this morning.

This morning, I decided to go to the market for Xmas shopping before I get down to business, after a well deserved holiday...lolz. I did the routine 'spot check', then after warming the car...I flung my handbag with my phones and house key inside it on the 'driver 2' seat. (big gal tinx...hehe).

Just as I started the car, settled on my seat to move, engaged the Reverse gear, I heard this 'krin-krin' sound, I parked (without putting off the car)...came out and bent down to look...
Outta reflex, I closed the door and that was it, I just heard the sound of central lock. Normally I always bring my glasses down, but my village people were definitely out to frustrate me this morning.

With so much hope/faith __ I started trying to open all the doors,they were locked.
I ran to the trunk__locked. Then I knew I was in 'soup'. I felt like fainting...No phone to call a panel beater, no money on me, house locked/spare key inside the house... no one @home...my eyes turned red immediately.

I decided to give it a shot, I scouted round the compound for tools,'saw none. I ran to the house opposite mine and begged the woman for a kitchen spoon...lolz.
I used it to create space in between the door...it wasn't easy - my fingers got sore. At that point I wished the car wasn't so strong. I took a walk down my street like one mad woman, scattering dirts and picking various objects that would enable me get @ the central lock. I saw none...just when I was beginning to give up, I saw this thick Nepa wire...

__ I turned to a carnivorous being immediately, chewing the back off- to get @ the iron inside. I knew that was my perfect tool... and it worked.
By then I was tired, frustrated and confused...I didn't feel like going out in that mumu car again, but I had to get those stuffs and I had a date with a nairalander too - I didn't wanna disappoint. In all, it wasn't so bad an experience, I kept those tools for the future...hhahaha.

Ever experienced this?
Please share your experience.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by TheRealAdonye(m): 7:21pm On Nov 24, 2014
I hope this never happens to me..

You tackled it well though..
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by AutosBay(m): 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
Take your ignition key and have another one cut.
It will not start the car, but it will open the door.
Then take one screw out of the license plate and put the key under it.
Put the screw back in with it going through the hole in the key, securing the license plate.
The key is out of sight.
If this happens again, you might have to borrow a dime from someone so you can unscrew the screw and get at your key.

(Been there and learned this from the rescue guy from Samaria)

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by icemann(m): 7:29pm On Nov 24, 2014
Went to the airport to pick a friend and i stopped right close to the building entrance. I clicked on the trunk/boot open button (so i taught) on my key and the car was idling. Closed the door after me and bam, I locked my self out with my car idling, my wallet and phone in the car with less than a quarter tank of fuel. I Couldn't call for help and no numbers in my head, Thank God for AAA rescue. By the time my car was opened the reserve light was on. It wasn't funny that day.
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by 6packdude: 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2014
I've had a similar experience. Stopped to check the mailbox right at the apartment building entrance. When I returned to my car, it was locked and I have the habit of keeping all my keys together. Luckily, I had my phone with me and I kept the spare key with a friend. Gave him a ring but it was cold and I had to wait for close to an hour in the cold before he arrived. Ever since, I always make sure I leave the door partly closed when it's running even tho I drive a more advanced car now which doesn't engage the central lock until it's in 'D" and I've moved some feet.

The only thing I'm interested in about your story is the Nairalander you had a date with. And I'm here trying my best to get a date with you cry

5 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by tolutweety(m): 8:08pm On Nov 24, 2014
I am here to
i) Read comments cos i want to buy car soon ! kiss
ii)To know how the date went and who the Nairalander is . smiley smiley

5 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by papadjaji: 8:17pm On Nov 24, 2014
Happened to me some many years back. Used a wire hanger after like an hour. Was lucky d door wasnt shut completely.
It happened to my friend around dt same period. We eventually called a rewire who opened it in seconds.

D lesson is to learn your car. I think d corrolla of 2003 later version locks wen u angage d drive gear.
some will engage after a while. D honda 2003 does not engage d central what so ever.
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2014
AutosBay:
Put the screw back in with it going through the hole in the key, securing the license plate.
The key is out of sight.

If this happens again, you might have to borrow a dime from someone so you can unscrew the screw and get at your key.

wowww.
Thanks so much for this tip.
I have a spare key, yes it doesn't start the car__ I wanted to do the type that can start the car, they said 32k. I don't have that kind money anywhere. The spare was inside the house, but with this your tip...mmehn.

*1 bottle of Origin for you* grin

2 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 24, 2014
lolz @6packdude.
It was a female nairalander o.
The car doesn't do like that before, it only locks when the car is on D and that's after sometime too or if it enters a bump.
It has been having an electrical fault, I would fix it by weekend, this one done show me pepper.

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by 6packdude: 8:55pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
lolz @6packdude.
It was a female nairalander o.
The car doesn't do like that before, it only locks when the car is on D and that's after sometime too or if it enters a bump.
It has been having an electrical fault, I would fix it by weekend, this one done show me pepper.

Your car is malfunctioning to that point and papakachie is letting you drive still? This is kray. I need to buy you a Mercedes kiss
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
6packdude:

Your car is malfunctioning to that point and papakachie is letting you drive still? This is kray. I need to buy you a Mercedes kiss

cry
It's that bad. That's why I have you, please when can I get the mercedes?
I love Mercedes cars. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 24, 2014
Lol. It happened to me when I went for a meeting at the old lagos state secretariat in ikeja. I came out, opened the car, dropped my stuffs and was about turning the ignition only to discover a car had parked behind me. Out of great anger i flung out of the car to look for the car's driver only to discover i had pressed the central lock with the key inside. O boy no be small thing. I spent hours convincing people around that i owned the car before they could allow the panel beater i brought to use his tools to break into the car

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by colossus2: 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
Never had such experience on my car.
A friend who had such experience was lucky he didn't wind up fully. We just had to slide iron through the little space from the glass to unlock the car.
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 24, 2014
I once left my keys in the trunk of my Nissan sedan. The trunk could only be opened by the key; so I had no other option than to call AAA to help me out.
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by lonelydora: 10:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
AutosBay:
The key is out of sight.

The best thing I have learnt in Car talk so far. Mumu me. Carrying my spare in the same key holder of my house key. What if I lock the car.

BTW, I thought wen the car is "on" that the door cannot lock on its own?
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by jaz(m): 10:58pm On Nov 24, 2014
That's the good thing bout my outlander. It will never lock u out wt the fast key inside. It just makes this buzzing noise and writes it on d computer so u remember. Sorry guys
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 24, 2014
CFCfan:
I once left my keys in the trunk of my Nissan sedan. The trunk could only be opened by the key; so I had no other option than to call AAA to help me out.

what's this AAA, you're the second person mentioning it?
Is it an automobile service/rescue team over there? Lolz
Na panel beater we get here o angry

2 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by uwemjack(m): 11:06pm On Nov 24, 2014
I go to gym every morning before I go to d office...
so I arrived at the gym brought out my gear and locked the car with the key, had to go back for my face towel picked it then locked the car using the central lock...
Then i saw my car key sitting comfortably on the drivers sit angry ... luckily for me my house key was on me (usually i keep it in d car) and I had a spare at home (two bus and an okada away)
I ended up getting to work very late on a monday and missing my workout cry
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Readonee35L(m): 11:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
Not @ all
My vehicles have at least 2keys
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

what's this AAA, you're the second person mentioning it?
Is it an automobile service/rescue team over there? Lolz
Na panel beater we get here o angry
Yes, it is. Just like regular car insurance, AAA customers pay monthly fees for the service. Even if you're car is having problems on a freeway (highway), a AAA truck would be on the spot within 20-30 minutes, after calling their rep.

There was also a time the car battery 'died'; the AAA technician used some equipment to bring it back to life.

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by kablooee: 11:16pm On Nov 24, 2014
That's not a good experience at all. It's always best to have a spare key. I don't know about leaving your key behind your license plate for security reasons.

Anyway if you're totally locked out. We can always make a key for you just using your VIN. We do not have to tamper with your vehicle or need a panel beater.
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 24, 2014
Readonee35L:
Not @ all
My vehicles have at least 2keys

The question/problem here isn't about your vehicles having 2keys or 10
__how do you ensure these keys are readily available when needed?
__Do you tie it around your waist?
__do you use it as a pendant?
__Give it to a friend/family?
__What if the friend/family is outta town?

That's what we want to hear Sir, I think everyone here has a spare key but it just wasn't readily available as @when due.

4 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Truckpusher(m): 11:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

wowww.
Thanks so much for this tip.
I have a spare key, yes it doesn't start the car__ I wanted to do the type that can start the car, they said 32k. I don't have that kind money anywhere. The spare was inside the house, but with this your tip...mmehn.

*1 bottle of Origin for you* grin
Don't do it please.
It's an old fashioned system and criminals all over the world knew about this little comfort that could land you into serious mess.

Who would stop a car jacking activity if the supposedly car thief seems to own that car? undecided

I repeat don't do it ,you're simply making your car an easy target for theft.

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 25, 2014
Truckpusher:
Don't do it please.
It's an old fashioned system and criminals all over the world knew about this little comfort that could land you into serious mess.

Who would stop a car jacking activity if the supposedly car thief seems to own that car? undecided

I didn't even reason in that line. Yesterday's experience, has made me very desperate for ideas to avoid a re-occurrence.

1 Like

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by englishmart(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
here in France, we don't buy substandard cars. My Nissan pajero cannot behave like that

3 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 25, 2014
englishmart:
here in France, we don't buy substandard cars. My Nissan pajero cannot behave like that

issokay.
One day you will come back from that France.

5 Likes

Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by englishmart(m): 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

issokay.
One day you will come back from that France.
I will be back by December cheesy
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by 6packdude: 4:21pm On Nov 25, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

cry
It's that bad. That's why I have you, please when can I get the mercedes?
I love Mercedes cars. embarassed
cheesy. Which is your favorite from the G wagon or MClaren? I love fast cars
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by 6packdude: 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2014
AutosBay:
The key is out of sight.

Nice tip sire but some car keys, like mine, are huge and certainly wouldn't fit between the car and the tag
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Fabdedon(m): 8:03pm On Nov 25, 2014
almost had similar problem.. Just dat its a mercedes..dont know if it happens to all sha..
I really dont know how i just inserted flat screw driver into it and ..fiiiam.. Its open..i was like oboy see majik...grin
. The other was on my auntys honda legend..i opened d trunk.. Droped d keys inside and was abt leaving.. I closed d trunk.. And dont know how d whole doors locked instantly...i tried all i could no show.. Just had to call about 2 PB before they had to get d keys out with a binding wire tho
Re: Ever Locked Your Car With The Key In Ignition? Share Your Experience. by Fabdedon(m): 8:05pm On Nov 25, 2014
Truckpusher:
Don't do it please.

gwarimpa thieves no de see cars pass..dem must try hack am..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Nissan Altima 2007 A Problematic Car? I Want To Buy One / Car Tips: How To Troubleshoot Catalytic Converter / Car Review: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.