Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,069 members, 7,810,999 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (41660 Views)

CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps / CBN Officially Devalues Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

Let the FG disband the police, let states run their own police according to their pockets, let the Dss become federal police corruption and terrorism as their main objectives just like the FBI. We need to do away with all this icpc and efcc nonsense.

Cc CFCfan
I support the call for decentralisation of the Police Force, it is a good step. However, there is still need for Federal Police and a distinctive intelligence department(DSS)

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by warrior01: 8:04pm On Nov 25, 2014
Reading a lot of ignorant responses here. So many even blaming Jonathan but the wise ones are seeing opportunities. Lol.... at people exposing their grade A ignorance all in a bid to criticize Government.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

What is the population of Algeria.
How stupid can this question get? Algeria diversified its economy, that is why they are able to keep their benchmark so low. Even the Saudis, uae and co aren't as stupid as our government has been.

Algerian economy

agriculture : 8.4%; industry: 61.1%;
services: 31.5% (2011 est.)

Mainindustries:

petroleum, natural gas, light industries ,
mining , electrical , petrochemical , food
processing, steel

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 8:07pm On Nov 25, 2014
warrior01:
Reading a lot of ignorant responses here. So many even blaming Jonathan but the wise ones are seeing opportunities. Lol.... at people exposing their grade A ignorance all in a bid to criticize Government.

Gbam
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

In the US, the Police Chiefs are either elected or appointed by the mayors.
Interesting, looks like its different for different state.

How exactly do they vote in police chiefs, is the general public that votes?
If yes, is it done alongside mayor election?

Sorry for my many questions, i am looking for the best method that will work for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 25, 2014
barcanista:
I support the call for decentralisation of the Police Force, it is a good step. However, there is still need for Federal Police and a distinctive intelligence department(DSS)
The Nigeria Intelligence Agency (NIA) could be merged with the DSS
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 25, 2014
warrior01:
You are the Ignorant one here. You obviously have no clue on this subject, it is beyond you

6 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 25, 2014
barcanista:
I think the Dss should automatically become federal police. The idea of another intelligence department makes the police look like some group of dumb officers.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

I don't think they should Merge. NIA is for Foreign/Counterforeign Intelligence while DSS is Domestic. I think it will be wise to leave them distinct. It's like merging internal and foreign affairs ministries

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

The DSS should become Federal police like the FBI while the NIA remains external like the CIA. My opinion.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

Interesting, looks like its different for different state.

How exactly do they vote in police chiefs, is the general public that votes?
If yes, is it done alongside mayor election?

Sorry for my many questions, i am looking for the best method that will work for Nigeria.
It's ok. Registered voters vote for the Police chief just as they would vote for the mayor or president.
In about 38 states, the State judges, who preside over the State Superior Courts, are elected officials.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

How stupid can this question get? Algeria diversified its economy, that is why they are able to keep their benchmark so low. Even the Saudis, uae and co aren't as stupid as our government has been.

Algerian economy

agriculture : 8.4%; industry: 61.1%;
services: 31.5% (2011 est.)

Mainindustries:

petroleum, natural gas, light industries ,
mining , electrical , petrochemical , food
processing, steel

List the electronic products they produced.?

What is the population of ALGERIA.?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by zukkymike(m): 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2014
Am not surprised at all,I saw it coming
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

If we had encouraged resource control and fiscal federalism, Nigeria would have developed so many export products that situations like this would affect only oil producing states.

States that export non oil products, would still be receiving inflow of dollars
Sure, but non-oil states do not see the big picture. Their insistence on the oil revenue sharing is why we are where we are.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

I think the Dss should automatically become federal police. The idea of another intelligence department makes the police look like some group of dumb officers.
DSS should stand alone for domestic intelligence gathering. The Problem with our present crop of DSS is that they are delving into the Primary areas of the Police Force. Unlike before, you will hardly hear of DSS participating in everything publicly, their job is strictly secret. They don't parade suspects neither do they prosecute in court-That is the traditional role of the police. The Police need to be around so that the DSS can concentrate on their Intelligence gathering that helps in Policing.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

It's ok. Registered voters vote for the Police chief just as they would vote for the mayor or president.
In about 38 states, the State judges, who preside over the State Superior Courts, are elected officials.
lols... So is it necessary for the Police Chief to come from a nonSecurity background?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 25, 2014
barcanista:
DSS should stand alone for domestic intelligence gathering. The Problem with our present crop of DSS is that they are delving into the Primary areas of the Police Force. Unlike before, you will hardly hear of DSS participating in everything publicly, their job is strictly secret. They don't parade suspects neither do they prosecute in court-That is the traditional role of the police. The Police need to be around so that the DSS can concentrate on their Intelligence gathering that helps in Policing.
Then what will be the job of the federal police?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

Then what will be the job of the federal police?
Well you have a point here. I go with your suggestion

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

Wow this is a fantastic model, this should put to bed the fears of politicians using the police to intimidate opponents. I had the privilege of attending a councilman's hearing with the city police, you need to see how the police boss was shaking in his boots. I thought to myself when will Nigeria get to this level.

I think we should open a thread to discuss state police models someday. This is what actually attracted me to the Buhari candidacy in 2011.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

List the electronic products they produced.?

What is the population of ALGERIA.?

I think i am done here
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 25, 2014
Billyonaire:
Sure, but non-oil states do not see the big picture. Their insistence on the oil revenue sharing is why we are where we are.
Maybe we should start with the FG allowing states to mine their resources. I see no reason why Enugu shouldn't be selling and exporting coal.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 8:35pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

I think i am done here

Answer the question

What is the population of Algeria.?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

The DSS should become Federal police like the FBI while the NIA remains external like the CIA. My opinion.
The NIA would only have the liver to spy on fellow African countries . cheesy

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2014
barcanista:
lols... So is it necessary for the Police Chief to come from a nonSecurity background?
Yes, the Police Chiefs are usually serving or retired police officers, who are/were either street cops or detectives.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Answer the question

What is the population of Algeria.?
I don't have time for irrational debate, will you like to compare your country with china? I bet you didn't know they produce oil
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

The NIA would only have the liver to spy on fellow African countries . cheesy
Lol
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

Wow this is a fantastic model, this should put to bed the fears of politicians using the police to intimidate opponents. I had the privilege of attending a councilman's hearing with the city police, you need to see how the police boss was shaking in his boots. I thought to myself when will Nigeria get to this level.

I think we should open a thread to discuss state police models someday. This is what actually attracted me to the Buhari candidacy in 2011.
Some legal scholars and others, over here, are actually against elections for judges. They are of the opinion that it makes judges pander to popular opinion instead of judicial rulings based on fact and law.
I'm on the fence on the issue of elections for judges sha.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 25, 2014
CFCfan:

Some legal scholars and others, over here, are actually against elections for judges. They are of the opinion that it makes judges pander to popular opinion instead of judicial rulings based on fact and law.
I'm on the fence on the issue of elections for judges sha.

Thats interesting
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
Boss13:

Do we live in an insulated world of our own. The CBN is left with no choice. We saw it coming and this is just the beginning. #Harshtruth

Did you say cbn was left with no choice? You think devaluation is a magic wand that solves this problem. Well now that you have devalued the naira, you think foreign investors including local ones would not want to hedge their funds by holding forex thus putting more pressure on the naira.

Perception is key here. And how realistic is $78/b of oil bench mark for the 2015 budget. Investors know how risky the effects of such a policy could be on your reserves, and now they are bailing.

The bench mark could drop to 50$/b for starters. Plug leakages in oil revenue and curtail looting. Why didn't they start with that?

4 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BlackTechnology: 8:53pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obiagelli:

I don't have time for irrational debate, will you like to compare your country with china? I bet you didn't know they produce oil

Its people like you who don't understand economics that come online to make shallow points.

Algeria population is small compare to Nigeria.

Algeria might be practicing resource control and fiscal federalism unlike Nigeria where some useless regions have refused to depend on their God given talents and resources.

Don't come online and discuss economy without in depth thought on issues like this.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by atlwireles: 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2014
Volksfuhrer:

Did you say cbn was left with no choice? You think devaluation is a magic wand that solves this problem. Well now that you have devalued the naira, you think foreign investors including local ones would not want to hedge their funds by holding forex thus putting more pressure on the naira.

Perception is key here. And how realistic is $78/b of oil bench mark for the 2015 budget. Investors know how risky the effects of such a policy could be on your reserves, and now they are bailing.

The bench mark could drop to 50$/b for starters. Plug leakages in oil revenue and curtail looting. Why didn't they start with that?

Where do you curtain this looting, in Abuja or your state capital/LGA?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Its people like you who don't understand economics that come online to make shallow points.

Algeria population is small compare to Nigeria.

Algeria might be practicing resource control and fiscal federalism unlike Nigeria where some useless regions have refused to depend on their God given talents and resources.

Don't come online and discuss economy without in depth thought on issues like this.
I like the word might, i like how you ignored china.

Btw why can't Enugu mine its own coal, why can't zamfara sell its mineral resources. Ask your pdp lead FG

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Innoson Wins Sierra Leone Oil Blocks Alongside Cluff Energy / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.