Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife (5585 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? / My Nigerian Marriage Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by magictouch: 4:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
Hello my people, each time I have a heated argument with my husband he keeps demanding for our marriage Certificate, and I wonder what for.
if he wants a divorce cant he start the process without it, or if he needs it desperately cant he approach the church or court, there are copies there. So because of his demands, I decided to hide it. Please people that knows, kindly tell me how powerful the marriage certificate is, in the hands of a women during divorce process, does it protect the woman in anyway. Thank you.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by amtheone(m): 5:01pm On Nov 26, 2014
magictouch:

Hello my people, each time I have a heated argument with my husband he keeps demanding for our marriage Certificate, and I wonder what for.
if he wants a divorce cant he start the process without it, or if he needs it desperately cant he approach the church or court, there are copies there. So because of his demands, I decided to hide it. Please people that knows, kindly tell me how powerful the marriage certificate is, in the hands of a women during divorce process, does it protect the woman in anyway. Thank you.

Hmmmm. I don't think you should bother much about in whose hands the paper is. I think what you should be more concerned about is how you guys can live peacefully without this "heated argument".

If he needs the paper to be in his possession, then peacefully do so.

If I may ask, what is the cause of this argument and how old is your marriage?

You don't need to dream of divorce, dream of enjoying your marriage. I wish you the very best.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Pavore9: 5:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
@magictouch, what if he needs it to process some documents. You two should sit and talk.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by magictouch: 6:39pm On Nov 26, 2014
@pavore, doesnt need it to process any document. talking is only when he wants to quarrel and never gives me audience. we live seperate lives even though we are under the same roof, and tired of living like that
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by magictouch: 6:53pm On Nov 26, 2014
amtheone:

Hmmmm. I don't think you should bother much about in whose hands the paper is. I think what you should be more concerned about is how you guys can live peacefully without this "heated argument".

If he needs the paper to be in his possession, then peacefully do so.

If I may ask, what is the cause of this argument and how old is your marriage?

You don't need to dream of divorce, dream of enjoying your marriage. I wish you the very best.

thanks for ur advice. marriage is to be enjoyed not endured. i have been enduring for almost 7yrs. just looking for the best possible way to end things cos of our 3 kids. so exhausted of the emotional turtoure and abuse. tired of him telling me to leave his house everyday.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by bennyrazz: 7:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
eeyaa. Emotional torture is very bad and I think you need to leave that environment. Do not give him the marriage certificate. There are so many single women out there now seriously disturbing married men. @op, your husband is not the problem but the strange women he's following are making him reason through his manhood. Its like they are remote controlling him. Is it normal for a man to want to chase out the mother of his children?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by beeevan: 7:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
If you have a good source of income, you might need separation to reclaim your sanity, you only have one life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by 2good(m): 7:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
Whether he has the certificate or not does not stop him from filling for a divorce. Once the divorce is finalised, the certificate becomes useless. Also this is Nigeria we are talking about so don't expect so much from him after the separation but I believe he will still want to be in his children's life and support them financially even if you guys separate.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by amtheone(m): 7:26pm On Nov 26, 2014
magictouch:

thanks for ur advice. marriage is to be enjoyed not endured. i have been enduring for almost 7yrs. just looking for the best possible way to end things cos of our 3 kids. so exhausted of the emotional turtoure and abuse. tired of him telling me to leave his house everyday.

I really dont know under what circumstances did you guys become husband and wife. If it was a normal procedure - dating and courtship before marriage, I believe that you must have known a little about his character.

For you to stay together and have 3 kids, I also believe that things were not this bad. I really also don't know to what extent you have gone to make it work.

You can if possible check the line when it became this bad - that is the last time you guys had a peaceful relation. There is always a line between the good and the bad. So, kindly check that line and see if there any thing you can to bring about peace in your home because you need peace in your marriage not because of your children but for your sake as well.

If you need to bring in people who you think can help make things better if you have not already done so, please go ahead and do. If your husband is physically about you, even though verbally abused is also deadly, let some people be awared of his lifestyle towards you. Please dont keep quiet.

Then, also be very sure that his frustration is not caused by you.

I will help you in my prayer.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by magictouch: 8:15pm On Nov 26, 2014
amtheone:

I really dont know under what circumstances did you guys become husband and wife. If it was a normal procedure - dating and courtship before marriage, I believe that you must have known a little about his character.

For you to stay together and have 3 kids, I also believe that things were not this bad. I really also don't know to what extent you have gone to make it work.

You can if possible check the line when it became this bad - that is the last time you guys had a peaceful relation. There is always a line between the good and the bad. So, kindly check that line and see if there any thing you can to bring about peace in your home because you need peace in your marriage not because of your children but for your sake as well.

If you need to bring in people who you think can help make things better if you have not already done so, please go ahead and do. If your husband is physically about you, even though verbally abused is also deadly, let some people be awared of his lifestyle towards you. Please dont keep quiet.

Then, also be very sure that his frustration is not caused by you.

I will help you in my prayer.

Please do pray for me cos I need that the most. The more I pray the worst things become. seems God is not looking my way.

We have known for over ten yrs and got married after 4 yrs of courting. the situation is already affecting mu daughter of 5 yrs in that she knows exactly what is going on. The other day, she was watching TV and she saw a man mistreating his wife, she started saying this is how my daddy used to beat my mummy, I was shocked, dont want them to grow in such environment.
I really dont know who to tell cos he doesnt involve any relative in our lives. Thanks for your advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by magictouch: 8:21pm On Nov 26, 2014
@ all thanks for all ur advice. i greatly appreciate
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by coldgate(f): 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
@OP: I will advise you to consider leaving this abusive relationship if you have the courage. Marriage is no longer for better for worse.
Stories abound where women in abusive relationships refuse to leave and are killed. Just 2 years ago, a Banker neighbor was butchered by her husband.

You wear the shoes and know where it pinches. Is the relationship one that could be salvaged? What about the trauma on the children? Are they better off with one sane parent? Just appraise your situation and do what is safe for you and the children. My thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by amtheone(m): 10:10pm On Nov 26, 2014
magictouch:

Please do pray for me cos I need that the most. The more I pray the worst things become. seems God is not looking my way.

We have known for over ten yrs and got married after 4 yrs of courting. the situation is already affecting mu daughter of 5 yrs in that she knows exactly what is going on. The other day, she was watching TV and she saw a man mistreating his wife, she started saying this is how my daddy used to beat my mummy, I was shocked, dont want them to grow in such environment.
I really dont know who to tell cos he doesnt involve any relative in our lives. Thanks for your advice

As it is now, you may have to seek the service of those that handle marrital issues professionally since informing his relatives will bring in more problems.

If after all this, the situation still remains the same, you will have to give him some space because of your safety and that of your children.

Don't give up on prayers. God is faithful.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2014
magictouch:
@pavore, doesnt need it to process any document. talking is only when he wants to quarrel and never gives me audience. we live seperate lives even though we are under the same roof, and tired of living like that
madam, the marriage certificate belongs to the wedded wife and not the husband. It is rightly yours and not your husband. If a husband is demanding for the marriage certificate when the marriage is shaky,then he is unto something fishy. Make sure you don't give him the certificate. If possible,give it to someone trustworthy to keep for you.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by cococandy(f): 12:52am On Nov 27, 2014
You can't force him to be with you if he really wants to go.
If you guys exhaust counseling and whatever good tips anyone close to y'all may have given you, you just have to face reality at some point.
The reality that he's been asking you to leave meaning he doesn't want the marriage anymore.
This is the time to prepare yourself emotionally and financially (if need be) to handle a life without him in case mediation fails.

How is he abusing you? I hope your life is not in danger . If it is, just remember that life is precious and you owe it to your kids to be alive and at least help guide them to adulthood.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Nobody: 5:04am On Nov 27, 2014
Op,lemme hit the nail.

Don't listen to people telling you divorce isn't an option. This is why God gave us brain to think when the need arises.

If you feel the marriage isn't working,and becoming a danger to your well-being,I will advice you take a walk..its better to be single,and happy,than co-existing,and be miserable..

My thot.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by sexybash(f): 6:16am On Nov 27, 2014
MzJackBaueress:
madam, the marriage certificate belongs to the wedded wife and not the husband. It is rightly yours and not your husband. If a husband is demanding for the marriage certificate when the marriage is shaky,then he is unto something fishy. Make sure you don't give him the certificate. If possible,give it to someone trustworthy to keep for you.
Wow you just hit a golf ball on my face with your comments
Marriage certificate is like any other certificate
The man is not so enlightened sef
Madam is only the living that is Been tagged good luck to you what ever your decision is
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Pavore9: 7:34am On Nov 27, 2014
lf you were my sister and the option of counselling is not working, l will insist u & the kids move out from that environment because it is toxic & not healthy for u all. lt is better to have a sister who is separated & alive than one in a mortuary!
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by KanwuliaJara: 7:38am On Nov 27, 2014
Priceless!
It means MAIN BYTCH + TLTQ! wink
Too legit to QUIT! cool

Side bicccches. . . . MOVE OVER! cheesy

The husband and the marriage institution?
Second and third only! cool

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by bukatyne(f): 3:28pm On Nov 27, 2014
MzJackBaueress:

Why does the certificate belong to the wife? If tomorrow you are married and you both keep your documents in a wardrobe/cabinet, would you keep the marriage certificate separately?

@OP: Address the issue of abuse et al and forget who owns the marriage certificate.

For your daughter to compare a man hitting his wife to your relationship with your husband means you both have failed her martially.

Even if you decide to accept your life/fate, please note that you are ruining your children's life gradually.

Your children will see no reason to leave an abusive relationship; afterall their mother faced same.

It is well
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 27, 2014
Pavore9:
@magictouch, what if he needs it to process some documents. You two should sit and talk.
Even if he needs it to process some documents, why demand for it only when they are arguing? They need to really sit down and address the real issues here.

BTW, mine is filed along with other vital documents and both of us have access to it. I don't think keeping it away from him will prevent him from filing for divorce, he can always get another one if he knows his 'way'. So, I think you should just relax and talk things over.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Agrika: 8:58am On Nov 28, 2014
Same question I hv wanted to ask for long, when I was in sch, a roomate's sister's husband used to panel beat her because of this marriage certificate, ...their marriage was less than a year.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by punchbabe: 3:17pm On Dec 10, 2014
Well Op, Divorce is usually the last option for the sake of your children. I do not also advice that you stay in an abi sieve marriage cos it will weigh you down both emotionally, physically , spiritually etc. Even children do not thrive well psychologically in abusive environment. It usually affects them. The boys usually end up taking after their father and beating up their wives, it becomes a vicious cycle. But in this situation, pause a bit before you take whatever step you want to take. Try prayer once more, I tell u from experience, it works. I am talking out of experience. In my own case, I became too discouraged to pray, thinking God had abandoned me, not listening to me anymore, not knowing he was working out something.

First of forgive your husband, leave every bitterness, call upon. God. Make it a point of duty to wake up in the middle of the night and pray to God concerning your husband and marriage. pray with Psalm 91 and 35. Ask God to build a wall of protection around your husband so that no evil woman will see him again. Ask God to put a wall of enemity between him and any girlfriend he is seeing outside. Ask. God to throw any girlfriend trying to scatter your marriage into an unknown destination, where your husbands eye will not see her again, because the bible says what God has joined together let no man( woman) put asunder. I assure you God will surely answer your prayers and bring sweetness and a turn around to your marriage.

Again make sure you always have a sweet disposition, even when he tries to pick a quarrel with you, don't quarrel with him, who knows you may draw him closer to you. Also always look sexy and sweet, make your hair, smell nice, don't abandon yourself because you have given birth to children. Get your self busy. Wish u luck

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by mutter(f): 5:12pm On Dec 10, 2014
My advice is somewhat different.

As a back up- go to the court and make a certified / attested copy of the marriage certificate if you don`t have means of getting an original. It does not take time and does not cost much.

Then go into yourself, examine yourself about what role you have played till now. What could you have done to contribute to this condition. Be neutral and fair.

You can be in a condition for years but unless something else is done and a different approach is used, the condition does not change. If he tells you everyday to leave and hasn`t kicked you out it means there is something about you bothering him and that constantly yet he still cares for you.

Make an attempt to turn the marriage around. Wait for him to come home cook something special and really let him see you have been preparing his return in a special way.
When he has eaten and is in the right mood go down on your knees and present him with the certificate and tell him you are sorry if he is disappointed in you and you would like to return the certificate to him since he wanted it... Tell him you love him and you would want the marriage to work. Ask him to let you know where you have gone wrong. Make sure you are ready for this- meaning no going into defense but a humble apology without trying to justify yourself. Be patient and sincere about your apology and if you present it in a right manner he just might open up and soften up. Make the changes he wants work on them.
A man should not lay hands on a woman but provocation is an excuse even in law.
Anyone advising you here does not know the true situation of your marriage and neither do I . That is why you have to weigh and consider what might work for you.

Even in the best of marriage one should show appreciation- thank you for marrying me, thank you for sharing your life with me and thank you for loving me.
This should be done by wife and husband. So for anyone reading this post - try it out smiley
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Juzzybabe(f): 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2014
magictouch:

Hummm...I wonder what men of our days thinks of marriage? I wish to know the importance of the certificate as well because a friend once advice me to hold it tight and don't let my husband take it from me. sorry dear,I know ur pain because u aren't alone in such experience. I still dey ask myself why I left my happily single life...
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Juzzybabe(f): 8:57pm On Dec 10, 2014
mutter:
My advice is somewhat different.

As a back up- go to the court and make a certified / attested copy of the marriage certificate if you don`t have means of getting an original. It does not take time and does not cost much.

Then go into yourself, examine yourself about what role you have played till now. What could you have done to contribute to this condition. Be neutral and fair.

You can be in a condition for years but unless something else is done and a different approach is used, the condition does not change. If he tells you everyday to leave and hasn`t kicked you out it means there is something about you bothering him and that constantly yet he still cares for you.

Make an attempt to turn the marriage around. Wait for him to come home cook something special and really let him see you have been preparing his return in a special way.
When he has eaten and is in the right mood go down on your knees and present him with the certificate and tell him you are sorry if he is disappointed in you and you would like to return the certificate to him since he wanted it... Tell him you love him and you would want the marriage to work. Ask him to let you know where you have gone wrong. Make sure you are ready for this- meaning no going into defense but a humble apology without trying to justify yourself. Be patient and sincere about your apology and if you present it in a right manner he just might open up and soften up. Make the changes he wants work on them.
A man should not lay hands on a woman but provocation is an excuse even in law.
Anyone advising you here does not know the true situation of your marriage and neither do I . That is why you have to weigh and consider what might work for you.

Even in the best of marriage one should show appreciation- thank you for marrying me, thank you for sharing your life with me and thank you for loving me.
This should be done by wife and husband. So for anyone reading this post - try it out smiley
This isn't my thread o but u see that your "Thank you for marrying me" humm I still and will ever regret y I told my husband that. It made him feel he did me and my family a large favour by marrying me and he feels thats y i do say thanks for marrying me. He insults me and even my family and he reminds me that even me knows he did me and my family a favour thats y i thank him always.I wish i knew what it means to him.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by mutter(f): 9:51pm On Dec 10, 2014
Juzzybabe:

This isn't my thread o but u see that your "Thank you for marrying me" humm I still and will ever regret y I told my husband that. It made him feel he did me and my family a large favour by marrying me and he feels thats y i do say thanks for marrying me. He insults me and even my family and he reminds me that even me knows he did me and my family a favour thats y i thank him always.I wish i knew what it means to him.

so sorry about that, some people do not appreciate good things.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by hardhehh1(m): 8:50am On Jun 15, 2023
Hi, magic touch, have you been able to resolve things now with your husband? Hope he's treating you better now.

magictouch:

Re: What Is The Importance Of Marriage Certificate In The Hands Of The Wife by Ndidi2: 9:00am On Jun 15, 2023
magictouch:
@pavore, doesnt need it to process any document. talking is only when he wants to quarrel and never gives me audience. we live seperate lives even though we are under the same roof, and tired of living like thtat

(1) (Reply)

How Nigerians Raise Their Children / If Your Spouse Dies First? / Finally Joined Nairaland After Been A Guest Reader For 8 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.