Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,221 members, 7,815,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? (11240 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / How To Legalize Nigerian Marriage Certificate / My Nigerian Marriage Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by nurabela: 10:47pm On Feb 16, 2011
What are the uses of marriage certificate? Is it indispensable?
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 16, 2011
its a poweful tool in the hands of women when it comes to justice in heritance,divorce,etc
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by r231(m): 1:22am On Feb 17, 2011
we use it to light a candle on valentines day cheesy grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by ifyalways(f): 9:29am On Feb 17, 2011
lol.
I knew a couple then that hanged theirs in their sitting room.You just can't miss it once u step into their house.  cheesy
@Topic,Dunno.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Blazay(m): 9:51am On Feb 17, 2011
Well,
When you consider the obvious fact that the world is gradually becoming anti-matrimony,
You come to understand that the marriage certificate is priceless and has many uses.

The most important uses are the gifts of ownership and THE sense of belonging(. . . . as in: who loves you daddy? cool)

No, you don't get that on FaceBook. wink

The marriage certificate is the ULTIMATE, global, utility stampage for the legitimization of YOUR children and your future generation.

Or you may just end up with a progeny of 'rascals'(aka  bast.ard.s). grin

Need I say more? wink

!Get Yours!
!Keep Yours!
!Don't Kill Yours! kiss

Bottom line:

The marriage certificate seperates rational beings from 'ye-ye fowls'. kiss

1 Like

Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Nelson6(m): 12:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
nice one.

marriage certificate is a paper that reminds a man of his slavery and the woman of her future asset grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Damysa(f): 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2011
Nelson**:

nice one.

marriage certificate is a paper that reminds a man of his slavery and the woman of her future asset grin

LOL
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by babyme1(f): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2011
It serves as a cheque book and ATM shocked shocked
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by harakiri(m): 12:10pm On Feb 18, 2011
Nelson**:

nice one.

I couldn't have said it better myself. A marriage certificate does no man any good in case of a divorce proceedings but it's definitely leverage for a woman when it comes to "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine" laws!

More reasons why it's crazy for a man to get married.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by zayhal(f): 12:43pm On Feb 18, 2011
In Nigeria, if you get married before your NYSC and wants to be posted to the state where your hubby is, a marriage certificate must be tendered.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Busybody2(f): 1:49pm On Feb 18, 2011
You need it to prove you are legally married.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Fulanee: 2:35pm On Feb 18, 2011
@Busy_body. prove 2 who?
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by mrperfect(m): 2:42pm On Feb 18, 2011
Judging what people have said so far , it seems is more beneficial to woman than men.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Busybody2(f): 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2011
Fulanee:

@Busy_body. prove 2 who?

[s]Chei, why you come put me under the spotlight like so angry You want make people sabi say I nor get brain ni and just dey dengepose embarassed [/s] Er . . . er . . . scratching head in response to your query, er . . .gulps . . . er . . ,wait oh, i'm coming, i will be back soon tongue I don't know jare tongue What of Church wedding, surely you need that, don't you, and then if you want to travel out of the Country and need to prove your "ties" to Nigeria it can come in handy too. I will be back like i said not lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by saintneo(m): 3:06pm On Feb 18, 2011
From a critical point of view, I think marriage certificate should be replaced with marriage contract which specifies the KPIs of the parties involved in the marriage and the conditions for divorce.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin IMHO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Busybody2(f): 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^^ God bless you for this kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by r231(m): 3:21pm On Feb 18, 2011
use it to open a joint account grin cheesy grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by nich(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2011
grin grin grin who said NL wasnt educative & informative?

ICS cheesy
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by frankiemun: 4:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
Why we use ATM weather we know that its very dangerous.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Carlosein(m): 4:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
Is this not like asking: What are the uses of my WAEC certificate

i'm not a lawyer, but i think this certifies that a marriage/wedding was validly carried out between the parties involved.

whatever use we put this document later on in life is entirely up to us (just like my friend who gave his statement of result to mama alakara for some akara grin).
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by favouredjb(f): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2011
Funny replies
it is a binding documement
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 18, 2011
@topic, ask a hollywood celebrity grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Olateef(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2011
there should be an expiry date on the marriage certificate,
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by omogidi234(m): 6:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
According to the Marriage Act, a marriage certificate is an evidence of the celebration of the marriage. Just like other posters said, WAEC certificate shows that you wrote GCE or SSCE, BSc certificate shows that you have a first degree etc. In case of "awon abelejayan" your marriage certificate asserts and backs any claim that you are married. Upon the presentation of it, the onus is on the other party to show that you are not married as you claimed.

Best regards.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by zayhal(f): 6:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
saintneo:

From a critical point of view, I think marriage certificate should be replaced with marriage contract which specifies the KPIs of the parties involved in the marriage and the conditions for divorce.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin IMHO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Seconded cool
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by tlops(m): 8:21pm On Feb 18, 2011
O.lateef:

there should be an expiry date on the marriage certificate,

it expires when one of the party dies or defaults.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by sayso: 8:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
proof of ownership
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
its really prove of ownership.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by gididi: 9:57pm On Feb 18, 2011
1.To get american and british visas---to show you cannot leave your wife and children.
2. Bondage to women-----------now your suffering continues.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by lagoshost(m): 12:04am On Feb 19, 2011
Evidence of enslavement - just joking grin
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by lastpage: 12:54am On Feb 19, 2011
After a few pages, l will like to give "an award" to the most pertinent answer (one that tallies with current reality!) on this topic.

So far, l have been rolling with laughter, from one corner to another, reading some of the comments!
Take for example:
1.) Proof of ownership! Na Car
2.) Evidence of enslavement! Wetin, show me the love please tongue
3.) It should have an expiry date! Haaba, Na DRUG?
4.) "In case of "awon abelejayan" your marriage certificate asserts and backs any claim that you are married"! This one hard O! Fishmongers embarassed
5.) "should be replaced with marriage contract which specifies the KPIs of the parties involved in the marriage and the conditions for divorce". You be one of those Abuja Contractor! grin  How can you be thinking of "divorce" when you're just planning a wedding?
6.) "it seems is more beneficial to woman than men."! Benefit ke? I thought its about LOVE nwan-tintin
7.) "@Busy_body. prove 2 who?" ; "wait oh, i'm coming, i will be back soon"! Walahi, this is like doing U-TURN on a Motorway!
8.) "marriage certificate is a paper that reminds a[b] man of his slavery[/b] and the woman of her future asset "! shocked shocked This is SCARY!
9.) "it's definitely leverage for a woman when it comes to "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine" laws! This cant be true!! INJUSTICE shocked
10.) "The marriage certificate is the ULTIMATE, global, utility stampage for the legitimization of YOUR children and your future generation" Shooo! One couple took theirs to the Canadian Embassy, to do the usual "paternity test" for people intending to settle in Canada and results showed that NONE OF THE THREE CHILDREN were his own! grin Well, "marriage" scattered right from the gate of the Embassy"! Shine your eyes on that Cert Pls shocked shocked
11.) "I knew a couple then that hanged theirs in their sitting room"! More like that "Beware of Dogs" signage in the front gate wink Because of "Awon abeleja-yan"! grin
12.) "we use it to light a candle on valentines day"! I bet this couple wont be doing many Valentines!! grin grin Go buy a Cigarette lighter pls or better still, set the whole house on fire and use it to light the Valentine candle---- hic-hic-hic grin
13.) Its the only certificate[b] u collect before writing the exam[/b] and then u use all your life to defend that certificate! This is scandalous! grin shocked

Please, lets have more of these weird reasons!

If you live in the west, l think it is the "Ultimate money-making, magic paper" any woman could have grin
Go ask Tiger Wood's wife, Tyson's Wife or that woman that got 500Million Dollars or so, from her Billionaire ex-Husband tongue

BTW: Credits to the 'original posters' of the quotes above.
Re: What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate? by Acapunture: 2:46am On Feb 19, 2011
marriage certificate is all married woman"s pride

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? / Gender Stereotypes Part I / Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.