Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Disperity Against Hnd Holders - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Disperity Against Hnd Holders (3057 Views)

Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. / Total Is Calling HND Holders--CADET DRILLING SUPERVISOR / Asset & Leasing Manager @ Stanbic Ibtc? Does Stanbic Discriminate Against Hnd? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Ezyman: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2006
why are they refusing to accept CV from HND holders in most of the banks. i tried to submit my CV at Eco bank in Lagos and i was told that they dint accept HND. Zenith bank did the same. i am afraid if all the banks will not treat HND holders the same way. please i think something should be done to stop this ugly and nepotic occurrence. i also went to diamond bank web site and theyonly made provision for Bscsad
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Nobody: 12:53am On Aug 10, 2006
First things first, nepotism means the practice of giving promotions, basic employment, higher earnings, and other benefits to employees who are relatives of management.
As far as i know, none of the banks has said "ONLY RELATIVES NEED APPLY"

What has stopped you from going for a bachelors degree? With the millions of BSc holders fighting for the few vacancies left it is hard to see how the companies can accomodate every applicant. Even among the BSc holders, discrimination is still made among classes.
Polytechnics were set up primarily to provide TECHNICAL education, my advice to you is to either seek a job in the technical field or take 2-3 yrs to go get yourself a bachelors degree.

It is high time people stopped blaming the poor companies for what is definitely out of their control, it is not their fault jobs are so scarce even first class degree holders are still roaming the streets 10 yrs after!
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by HH(m): 11:43am On Aug 10, 2006
davidylan, i must confess that your response was politely rude and rather disencouraging. you must thank God for had found yourself lucky by the policies formulated by most organizations. I will confidently tell you that not every first class degree holder is better than the even lower credit HND holder. the fact remains that theres no even playing grand for both set of graduates.
You might not be aware that some of the banks MD had HND before other certifications.
How the "Hell" will you recommend for somebody that has HND to go back and spend extra 3years to obtain a "so called B.sc" You must be very wicked and out of your mind davidylan.
I strongly believe in creativity and whatever that makes you comfortable. besides, life is not worth all that wahala.
For my guy that have HND, dont give up, just keep trying even other sectors for banks dont even pay the best packages and not better fulfilled. if you also have a convenient opportunity, try and pursue further studies for your destiny is not in the hands of anybody but you and God.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Hardware(m): 12:33pm On Aug 10, 2006
HH,
Godbless u for your word of advice, dont mind davidlayn or what does it call himself. If i say God will punish u now it will be as if
we hav turned this forum to a war front. But i wll not say but d only prayer i have for u is dat God will jurge u with ur statement and mind to others.
david i want u to kno something dat nothing can be done without God. is like u dont hav any Human feeling and u must be a wicked fellow.
Once again, i kno u must kno d reaction of people b4 u say something like dat. Just let me tell u d reality, u see, even if nobody curse u for what u are saying, they only keeep on looking at u, thier mind is not praying for u at all. Do u kno d number of head u hav offended for that stupid statement?
Anyway , Be carefu.

This HARDWARE
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by bintabdul(f): 3:40pm On Aug 10, 2006
davidylan or what ever ur name is have u ever heard that the CEO of CORNERSTONE PLC today had HND certificate so are u trying to say she is not competent?Pls kindly do something about your way of thinking and reasoning.All the best
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ANGELX(m): 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2006
coolits good to know that we still have sensible individuals in this country.if the young masses think negatively about each other then how can there be hope for the future.an hnd holder has a lot of creativity and experience added to his certificate.most hnd holders can deliver more than they r given credit 4.davidlan crew wake up
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ayotunde: 4:20pm On Aug 10, 2006
HHHellooo!! try an educate davidson,pls dont use offensive language,u see some people find it difficult to see from other peoples shoes.
I want to tell u that i hold HND and BSC and am proud to let u know that HND or BSC is a function of the person presenting the certificate.
Lets take a statistics of the failed banks from the time of Abacha,u will record that most of the directors were BSC holder so lets take a decision from that point of view,If they were HND holder,that would have been a point were people will be nailing them.
Therefore,HND or BSC is not what u think it is but the person holding it
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by HH(m): 4:32pm On Aug 10, 2006
ayotun, i just want to acknowledge your postings. you were very logical and i grab exactly what u mean, keep it up and do know that i feel you. its just that sometimes people live in other peoples shadow just like davidy. he was very unprofessional for my appraisal. Certificate is really a function of the person presenting it BUT what when you dont have a shortlisted space to make your presentations, lol
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2006
Davidylan, what course did you read in school? Is it medicine, vet. medicine or pharmacy? I want you to know that apart from human medicine, pharmacy and vet medicine that polytechnics dont offer, i can bet it with you that the polytechnics teach and train better than the universities. Accountancy(Poly) has been able to prove itself better than accounting(Uni) by the number of accountancy(HND) graduates that pass the ICAN exams with ease over the number of accounting(Bsc) graduates that enroll and pass same exams. Davidylan, whether you like it or not HND graduates are more technical than Bsc graduates in every field, you hear? No be grammer we want hear na person wey know the job and wey fit deliver you hear??. Simply because you get Bsc does not make you more intelligent than we HND holders. If you feel you are too intelligent because you ve a Bsc i can tell you that there are so many pple with qualifications less than HND that are even more intelligent and productive than you. Are you better than Bill Gates? And the guy no even get any qualification wey pass high school cert. Whether you employ HND holders in banks or not other companies will employ them and even pay them better than the peanuts banks pay after over-using you. Wetin you even sabi with your Bsc sef Bsc my foot!!!
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 10, 2006
grin

Chei! Where was i when i was getting all these bomb attacks fro left right and center? Now i roll up my sleeves to throw hand grenades of my own.

Honestly without mincing words, just by perusing the construction of grammer on this page, i can confidently say only Ayotunde would be qualified to go for any aptitude test, the rest of you especially HH and Hardware are so grammatically poor and intellectually bereft its mind boggling that you are also in the same labour market as other marketable and industrious individuals. It is highly unlikely that either of you will be able to pass any serious verbal job interview.

Back to issues on ground, no one has said HND holders are less "qualified" than BSc holders. unfortunately you have to go with the prevailing climate in your respective countries. The person comparing Bill Gates and HND holders is not serious at all. Please take a good look at your environment, at least here, a mere high school graduate is sure of a job and will earn 10x more than a bank worker in Nigeria with a masters degree will ever hope to earn in a month. Coupled with the fact that he was in an environment where govt is actively involved in nurturing their talents unlike Nigeria.
The same issues are raised among BSc holders, the normal 2'1 vs 3rd class deg holders! The fact you guys fail to understand is, the problem is not with the companies, they should be commended for remaining afloat despite the bad bbusiness climate in Nigeria. How many companies are there to absorb the over 100,000 yrly graduates many of whom are halfbaked anyway (for evidence pls read your own posts!)? How do you want the companies to weed out 1000 applicants for 2 jobs?
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 7:34am On Aug 11, 2006
Pally, read and understand befor you make any comments. If na exam you sef don fail be that, and na you dey say some people no fit pass aptitude test. I wonder if you sef fit pass the test. I did not compare Bill gates with HND holders. I tried to let you know that it is not by virtue of qualification that you become better and intelligent than others. I said Bill Gates does not have more than High school cert yet he has done what the so-called graduates were unable to do. So because banks must look for a way to reduce the number of graduates applying for their jobs HND holders should be the worst affected. They are not even allowed to submit their CV's not to talk of writing the test. To you is it logical? Why not allow them write the test and fail before driving them away?? Whether you like it or not i will still say it here that the HND holders should be allowed to compete favorably with the Bsc holders in terms of looking 4 jobs in Nigeria as some HND holders are even better than Bsc holders.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by HH(m): 8:38am On Aug 11, 2006
davidylan, it would be wise if you took corrections early enough. you seem to be a very good drimbler and lack moral wisdom. my dream is to become an employer and not an employee. i also want to inculcate into you that passing aptitude test doesnt make you the best employee. For your info, this is my 3rd job since i left school few years ago and i may need to fax my boss's appraisal so you can see. i honestly have very less time for myopic individuals like you and this is my last post for you
I honestly do wish you well in your career and pray you dont someday, witness discriminations that pains to the bones.
Hope you have not forgotten that some other people schooled in Harvard university. i wonder where u had your own degree anyway cos we know whats happening everywhere.
If you are so brilliant though, i wonder where you work. but from my judgement, you lack sense of maturity and wisdom, even ayotun you appreciated his postings asked me to "educate you" go back and read it, have fun davidylan.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 11:10am On Aug 11, 2006
Better take corrections.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 11, 2006
@ HH and Ishmeal,

The problem is you see the world from tinted HND glasses and so cant even see beyond your nose. HH, if you like you can work in 200 jobs for all i care. If a sense of "maturity and wisdom" is simply jumping on the HND bandwagon, then you can as well keep the wisdom and maturity as i dont wish to be a part of it.
@ HH, you dot bother to take on issues, all you do is attack personalities which i dont do, a sad reminder that those who throw stones should not live in glass houses. Your post is full of hot air and personality problems!
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 3:09pm On Aug 11, 2006
Yes oo, we see the world from tinted HND glasses just as you see it from tinted Bsc glasses. Thank you.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by pepe(m): 3:31pm On Aug 11, 2006
I agree wit davidlayn, the ''DISPERITY'' between the B.Sc holders and their Hnd counterparts is understandable. Have u guys ever looked at d criteria of gaining an admission into one d polytechnics? 3credits is all they require, how bad does it get. The polytechnic system sucks.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2006
thanks pepe, i just tried hard to overlook the "disperity", this coming from a "well educated" HND holder looking for a professional job!
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2006
Pepe, is it what you go in with or the skills and knowledge that you acquire and and come out with that makes you a competent graduate? Tell us now. Agreed, people go into the polytechnics with 3 credits to do pre-ND; so also is the university. I know of people who went into the university thru Remedials and pre-Degree programs with as low as 3 credits. So what is the difference??
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2006
@ Ishmael,

You are missing the point of the argument, its not about BSc being better than HND, its about why polytechnics were created in the first place to be different from universities and which sectors the planners designed the graduates to go into.

2. Pity the few companies that have to struggle against a bad economic climate, then have to choose from 2000 applicants to fill only 2 vacancies.

Believe me, no one has any problem with HND holders, but for my parents i nearly went to poly myself.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 4:28pm On Aug 11, 2006
Davidylan, thanx 4 what you just said now that you dont have any problems with HND holders. I know you believe that some of us that attended polytechnics are even better than some people with Bsc's. Yes, polytechnics were established to train middle-level man power for the economy at the initio, which is the National Diploma (ND). Much later government introduced the HND to enable polytechnics produce high-level manpower and professionals in Technical fields. Although government did not do what it was suppose to do to make the HND attractive, but the fact remains that they equally churn out good graduates. My own question is that, do you see it as right and logical for employers to discriminate against HND holders by not allowing them take part in any job aptitude test or interview? If employers want to reduce the number of applicants applying for just one vacancy they can as well use oral and practical tests to get the right person for the job. Using qualification alone does not guarantee them getting the right applicants for the job. Don't you see it as better and more logical to weed out unwanted applicants using oral and practical tests??
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by nunu(f): 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2006
I do not believe there should be any disparity cos oneday,even B.sc holders will be discriminated against.I am a B.Sc holder but how will you feel if a B.Sc holder from a foreign university will be given the job compared to you ,the special B.Sc holder.it is happening right now,most banks are sourcing for their staff from foreign countries,a job fair was held in UK last two months.A Nigerian with a diploma from a foreign University is held supreme over a B.Sc holder from a Nigerian university.it is an attitude and mentality we should stop.HND holders are well structured in their practical and technical field.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by olodo(m): 2:37pm On Aug 14, 2006
David and Pepe

ha ha ha ha
may God reward you for everthing you have said.
but you can talk now because you are not affected in all this discrimination.
i will also pray that one day, whereever you work, your company will decide to employ a fresh gradate from Toronto with just an ordinary diploma, to be your boss with your Bsc or Mba from any univ. let me stop here by quoting from chinua achebe "wisdom is like a goat skin bag everyone carry his own by his side".
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 5:07pm On Aug 14, 2006
Nunu, how u dey? Pepe i want you to check Daily trust newspaper today, you will see FUT minna admission requirements for Remedial (Pre-Degree) Program. It is the same 3 credits you said about polytechnics that they require. Let me ask you, is it the no of credits you used in going in that determines the knowledge and skills you gather? Does it have any influence on the grade you pass out or graduate with? Some people go in with 9 distinctions and yet they graduate with 3rd class while some go in with just 3 credits and graduate with 2.1. So at the end of the day who is better??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by nunu(f): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2006
@ishmael,
my brother,am alright.And how are you?

you can only take a donkey to the stream but you can't force it to drink if it doesn't want to,meaning you can never change a person's mentality if the person ain't prone to logic.Disparity between HND holders and B.Sc holders is a wrong mentality we need to wipe out.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2006
Nunu, i'm fine o. I wonder why there is disparity btw HND and Bsc?? To me it doesnt make any logical sense. Even those that encourage it cannot give you any logical reason why they do it if you ask them.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by kitaun(m): 5:52pm On Aug 14, 2006
@All

Am a B.Sc holder but for the life of me i don't see why anyone should want to place the Hnd holder lower than the B.Sc holder, i have gone through all the arguments and i still stand my ground to say its not about what you have read in school but about how you can practicalize those things, the sad thing is that our country only appreciate paper certificates whereas we don't lay emphasis on practicals, how do we hope to live up to our potentials as a great country ? that is why you will see that discrimination might never cease in this land, i have my OND from Yabatech so i can compare and contrast between Polys and Unis, but for God sake my heart is with Hnd holders all the way, never give up until your good becomes better and your better best in all your endeavor
I salute the courage of the people on this forum who have stood up for the cause of the Hnd holders, even if you are not one,youy will sure have a relative or friend that is one,

God Bless Us All

@ Ishmael

Hope you remember this from the other thread in the career section? well my opinion has not changed and i believe this particular topic is for the career section not here, but could you pls send me an IM so we could discuss better, the other time when things were about getting messy on the thread, i had a discourse on this issue with davidylan on this issue, he definitely has got his own valid points too, however he may have had a wrong idea of how things work here since he is not based here in naija, so i think he can be excused for thinking it works like that over here.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 7:16pm On Aug 14, 2006
Kitaun, whats up? How u dey na? Whether HND or Bsc; the thing be say our country is bad economically and technologically. Where the Bsc and HND holders for nigeria dey,wey people with vocational and craft certificates for other countries dey build their own country with their technical skills?? Nigeria sef no even get technical schools again sef. My uncle joined NNPC in 1982 as a technician after leaving technical college with his City&Guilds, federal craft and trade test certificates. And they did well.Today who born you make you enter NNPC with that kind certificate?? No encouragement for technical & vocational education in nigeria lailai.
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by molasco(m): 12:58pm On Aug 15, 2006
hello everyone,
Any house that divides against itself shall not stand-says the Holy Bible. Guys, dont forget we're all graguates assumed to be intellectuals. Then why these "grammatical attack"?.
Pls  let bygones be bygones.

Lets be very sincere, the problem is the polytechnic standard. Right from the entrance exam to the entrance requirement, from the lecturers qualifications to the rectors qualifications and above all, the system itself need to be reviewed if we want to stop the "madness" called Disparity.
We Poly students are competent, but the govt need to rescue the system
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2006
Molasco, wetin you dey talk? What do you mean by entrance exam and entry requirements? What do you mean by the lecturers qualifications?? Pally when i was doing my HND all the lecturers had a minimum of Msc; some of them were Phd holders. Find out from NBTE if you dont know, all HND courses must be handled by lecturers with post graduate qualifications, else the HND course will be disaccredited. Abi you think say polytechnics no get Phd holders wey dey lecture??
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by Wendell(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2006
[b]ALL MANNER OF DISCRIMINATION IS ILLEGAL, CRIMINAL AND CONDEMNABLE.

It has always been in my mien to just pout and maintain a stiff upper lip whenever I’ve to deal with a self-conceited chap with some stunted psyche. Even stiffer my lip is set when the person happens to be an educated ignoramus.  Is this not the matter with Davidylan? To a rational thinking person, his manner of thinking is perceived to be somewhere near something that sucks and definitely well below and pegs lower, his thinking ability.

This is typically one of those signs that our educational system has everything wrong with it, having failed in content and function to produce capable young men and women who are worthy in character and in learning to handle responsibilities and who can think aright. What then are we left with? Young men like Davidylan who may be worthy in learning (at least having managed to be issued with a certificate), but seriously lacking in character, good sense, sound judgment and emotional maturity. No little thanks to the organizational learning that Corporate organizations have to subject young graduates to (in the form of training) to see if they could try to get anywhere close to wiping the stripes off the zebra’s skin---by way of re-adjusting, re-tuning and fine-tuning their thinking patterns and hone their skills.

How can anyone in the 21st century overtly or covertly support any form of discrimination on whatever basis? Is this not a sign of the Dark Ages?  This is the problem with Africa.  Africa has blatantly refused to grow by its retention of obnoxious growth-retarding policies.  This is why it has defied even the solutions which have been known to work in other places. A weight which has continually been bearing it down into the doldrums of inefficiency.

The youth they say are the future of our Nation. What hope then is there for our Nation? What future is there for our dear fatherland when the many amongst us still have the mentality of yester-years?

Go to many foreign Blog sites and discussion platforms and behold the spate and level of intellectual excitation that young people in primary, secondary and tertiary institutions carry on.You read about issues on scientific creativity, unbridled and seamless innovative imaginations of these promising young minds.You can't help but testify to the kind of future these young chaps are taking their destinies and those of their countries to. But for us here all we get busy doing and talking about is how to pose impediments, prevent others  and mount roadblocks to people who challenge us.I weep for dear Nation Nigeria.
Look at the spate of politically instigated killings and violence in our country today. Where did it all begin? When will it end? No doubts from deep-seated intolerance of one against the other. If our young graduates at this stage of world civilization are this intolerant of challenges, then how prepared are we to right the wrongs the older folks have instituted in the land?

I hold an HND and a B.sc.-- a case of the taste of two puds.  I believe that one who has not had any polytechnic experience like Daydlan, most corporate managers and our policy makers are ignorantly mistaken and incapable of sound judgment on the matter.  This is because it is only natural that for you to make a faultless analysis, you must have a panoramic and firsthand experience of an issue.  Afterall, why do lawyers hold hearing session?  Why do legislators form committees who go down the grassroots to feel the temperature there?

As an authority in this issue.  I put it to whoever that supports the discrimination of graduates based on the type of qualification as unnecessary, inhumane, dehumanizing, destructive to our educational system, anti-economy and a sheer exercise in barbarism.
Let’s see some arguments for and against the HND/BSc discrimination saga.

1. Proponents of HND/BSc discrimination over-ambitiously cites the constitution which stipulates that the polytechnic is there to manufacture mid-level, manpower while the university system is to produce high-level manpower in order to seem as if it’s the law that’s the culprit. Fine and good! Now is it not the same law that draws an equalizing between HND and BSc both in weight and face value? Hence we read BSc or equivalent. Now, I guess the study of languages is one key area of strength for the puritanical system of academia (university).  Please let all English Language professionals dust up their dictionary and investigate the etymology and meaning of the word “equivalent”.  “Equi” means ‘equal’.  As when two masses placed on the scale pan of a balance weigh exactly same.  ‘Valent’ is from the root “valency” as in forming chemical bond, used when the number of atoms or molecules of other elements are equal to the number of hydrogen atoms that the atoms or molecules can combine with or displace in a chemical reaction.  Hence, the interchangeability, interdependability, and inter-complementarity between HND and BSc. You know know why people who stick to the LETTER of the law usually "fall" and break up while those who concentrates on the SPIRIT of the law will always "jump and pass as it were".

From the foregoing, we reach the logical conclusion that BSc and HND are exactly equal in weight and in face value, in importance and use.  They are just variants of the same stock.  So no one has the legal and or moral right to discriminate the other.  This is illegal and criminal.

2. Proponents of HND/BSc discrimination support it as an escape route by corporate bodies to curtail the sea of applications in order to streamline the recruitment process.  Now I ask who is being lousy?  The Human resources function no doubt! Is it not their job to follow the recruitment process from start to a logical conclusion?  What is the motive for hiring?  Is it to amass all the bogus and hackneyed paper names, aliases and the “-isms” or is it not to source and hire qualified persons both in education, skill and purpose?  Are we forgetful of the fact that the vibrancy, virility and robustness of any workforce consists in its variegated complexion in terms of quality and performance which is only achievable via the amalgamation of qualified people of different backgrounds be it by virtue of qualification, skill, training, talent or even race?  Why do economies undertake deregulation? Is it not to liberalize and open the market for competition which results in better service?  I hope some one is not afraid of competition here.  And for the corporate organizations, please remind the human resources function to know that in a delicate, serious and sensitive matter such as recruitment, following shortcuts or the easy way is as dangerous as hiring the wrong persons. Easy way is always the costliest alternative in the end. Little wonder our economy, run by mostly BSc holders, is in good shape I suppose. Count the number of liquidated companies littering all around in Nigeria and going by that in a logical sequence, all other things being equal, is it not right to conclude that in Nigeria, BSc holders are not good managers?

3. Some proponents of HND/BSC discrimination assert to it that the polytechnic system is not handled by professionals namely professors.  Well they are right if they add to it the phrase “in Nigeria”.  For in advanced economies, PhD holders teach even in the primary or secondary schools. In kindergatens and early learners'. The problem with us is our system, the BSc managers who are managing our economic and political systems. Why would I complain if I earn what I am supposed to earn as a professor and you ask me to teach in a primary school? In the US, professors in child education and many other fields who teach in primary schools earn higher than most lecturers in the universities. 

Moreover, the rot in our university system should be reason enough to tell any one who cares that having a qualitative educational system does not depend on the making and heaping up of professors.  Rather it is in having qualified teachers and personnel who have the skill to deliver the teaching and learning tasks.  This of course is not an exclusive prerogative of professors.  Some non-professors have been known to be better teachers than many professors.

Times without number I’ve had to talk about this matter.  But it’s been long I threw it to the back seat because as educated and enlightened minds, this is not the kind of stuff we should still be talking in the 21st century.  Nigeria after some 40 years of independence should have gone beyond this savage barbaric stage of her struggle to freedom.  The irony of it all is that this is a self-inflicted injury! That is why the advanced countries look at us and wonder whether it is the same God (nature, source) that made the Black African man.  The only plausible idea that makes sense to them is to conclude that we as Black Africans came from monkey.  So they call us ‘Black monkeys; the Black continent; the black planet”.  What else do you expect?  People who reason like us logically must have some traces of  DNA from Orangutan and so must have come from a descent of monkeys.

Recently, our revered education minister, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, a woman of many books, an icon of impeccable repute, a source of learning,  a woman I respect, was caught lamenting over the dwindling enrolment in our polytechnic system and a burgeoning clamor for university education.  Dr. Ahmed Salihu, the executive secretary of Jamb followed suit in this outcry saying that only 20% of the total number who enroll for University admission also try Polytechnic admission.  My question is don’t they know why?  How can they expect polytechnic education to grow when the people who cry wolf are the same people who turn round to kill it by destroying the future, inflicting harrowing emotional trauma and psychological hurts on those who choose to follow it.

Our University education system has crumbled because our policy makers have destroyed the polytechnic system.  This is because one cannot stand without the other since they are equivalents. The university system cannot stand without the polytechnic system standing. Any thing that affects the polytechnic system will eventually affect the university system.  You know why? Because they are equivalents. One is the equivalent of the other. Remember the law of balancing equations?  Add to one side and you must add to the other.  Take away from one side and you must do same to the other side.  We have already started seeing the signs.  Nothing serious has happened and they are shedding crocodile tears about the collapse of the university system as signaled by the over-bearing mass-match towards university education. Now it is common knowledge that every rat and mice can hop into a university a have a degree torn out and handed to him. That is if you can pay for it though.

Why don’t we make a change and follow the trend of the 21st century where skill rather than paper qualification is the determinant to being qualified for responsibilities as practiced in advanced economies?  Should be the “I can do” and not the ‘I have the paper’ attitude.

Most of the advanced economies in the world that we so much admire are where they are today not so much because of what goes on in their puritanical system of academia (universities) but much more to what goes on in what we call the polytechnic institutions. A case of curriculum differentia but all aimed at exactly the same objectives. So the principle of understanding the spirit of the law and not just the letter must be applied here.

Now look at the type of research and knowledge the puritanical system of academia(universities) engage in. They are usually white-elephant in nature. So bogus and grandiose that they are not usually practically relevant in the short-run. Some of them take fifty years, centuries and even generations before they become socio-economically useful, practical and relevant to society.But what do people need? What do organizations need? Is it extraneous analysis, long range researches and theorizations rather than practical time-lined innovations?

What value is the making of many books to the ordinary man if it cannot meaningfuly and practically revolutionize his lifestyle in his lifetime? Just look at most theories, they take  very long time to convert to reality and practical equivalents. Think about the Human Genome Project, the HIV/AIDS studies etc. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that most researches going on in the puritanical system of academia(universities) may not be of any benefit to some of us in our lifetime because they are unneessarily long-term and futuristic in nature.

Now compare it with the things that come out of the polytechnic institutions. They are usually what the society needs at any given time. They are always relevant to the society. The needs of society is usually the determinant of studies, researches and innovations in the polytechnic system.The objective is always to solve human and societal problems. The researches are not so complex, confounding or dumbfounding like rocket science, neither is it simplistic like flying a kite. Rather it is what I call Technology with human face. Technology for you and with you in mind.Technology of solutions. Technology that makes sense and meaning to the people.Technology for everyday life.

This is where the complementarity of the polytechnic and university systems lies. You cannot plan for long-term purposes when you have not taken care of the short-term and mid-term issues. This is thus the difference between Africa and the advanced economies.

Therefore, the earlier we understand the dynamics of these scholastic forces, the better for us. We find out then that there's no single need for one to pitch itself against the other. We all are patners in making education work for humanity and not the other way round.If the university system insists on the downfall of the polytechnic system by supporting the marginalisation, discrimination and relegation of polytechnic graduates, then there is even no need for anyone to worry because it itself must surely crumble. Only a matter of time.

Now the truth of the matter is you can only hold a people down for so long. For when push comes to shove, the people must find a way out. Look at what is happening in the Niger Delta today. It is as a result of intolerance, discrimination and marginalization. That is enough lesson for us to know that all manner of discrimination,  be it in whatever shade or colour is criminal and illegal. Now think of when educated minds will join the chorus and apply technology to terrorism which is now the order of the day in the world. When they'll not only stop at making peroxide have explosive potency but everything including detergent solutions (OMO, ELEPHANT, ARIEL, BIMBO etc) will become raw-materials for warfare technology. Get it right! I am not a prophet of Doom and gloom. But to be forewarned is as good as being forearmed. For it sure is a possibility. A word they say is enough for the discerning!

THE WAY FORWARD
The new education minister, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, a champion reformist no doubt has no small job to do in out rightly uprooting this gross embarrassment on the canvass of our corporate, economic, education, social, and political systems.  Though I do not expect miracle from her, one fact being that she did not have a taste of the polytechnic system.  So while she is capable, she may not really be able to be precisely exact in locating where the shoes pinch the wearers.  Nevertheless, there is much she can do.

1. She should enforce the eradication of this unruly treatment of HND graduates by taking it to the various organizations exactly the same way the Local Content Initiative (LCI) is being enforced on the oil and gas sector as well as the way the ETF tax policy is being enforced on all corporate organizations.  This presupposes that for any company to be licensed to operate in the country and for existing licenses not to be revoked, organizations must produce and present their white paper and blue print showing their open door policy on recruitment such that in all levels of job functions, nobody is discriminated due to the type of certificate he holds.

2. The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) should stand up for the HND graduates who have been ill-treated especially in the banking sector.  There is no reason why they should be at the sour end of the Recapitalization Policy.There is much the NLC can do to stop this arrant nonsense.

3. The senate should as a matter of urgency legislate so as to remove any legal impediments towards freedom for all-both HND’s and BSc’s.  They should wield the sledge hammer in the direction of any organizations in Nigeria that support this barbarism.

4. Personally, my fight as an individual which I have started in my own small way is to make sure that the United Nations freedom charter is rewritten, reworded, modified and fine-tuned to take care of this form of discrimination so that no human being is discriminated by virtue of his sex, colour, beliefs, sex-orientation, education and qualification.

All you lovers freedom stand up for freedom for there is much everyone can do to accomplish what is right.

You can react personally to this write up to mervtheworldismyoystershell@yahoo.com[/b]
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by HH(m): 2:40pm On Aug 16, 2006
Wende, i dint want to post back on this issue but i couldnt resist complementing such a briliant and wonderful performance you have given here that needs to be sent to the house of representative, there is absolutely no reason why you will not succeed in your business and ways of life. thank you brother
Re: Disperity Against Hnd Holders by ishmael(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2006
bros, u try. Make una send this write-up go national assembly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dear 2017 Beneficiaries Waiting To Be Deployed, We Know You Are Anxious / APM Terminal Interview / Hot Job Vacancy At Chevron Nigeria Limited (deadline: 18th March, 2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.