Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,828 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here (1410 Views)

Pls C# Programmers Here? / Pls C# Programmers Here? / C++ Programmers Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by bb6xt(m): 11:15am On Nov 27, 2014
Hi peeps,

I have been burning my brains learning this new language and I was wondering if there is anyone here doing the same. I would love to share war stories on how the journey has been so far.

For those who are not familiar with Haskell, Haskell is a pure functional language that is lazy by default and supports pattern matching and has an excellent type system with type inference. It is a reference implementation for pure functional languages which was created by a committee of academics. Here are a list of resources for learning about Haskell:

www.haskell.org
http://learnyouahaskell.com/
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/
https://www.fpcomplete.com/school

PS:
If you love abstract algebra you will definitely love Haskell as it is based on math. Let me give you a peak of some mathematical concepts that you find in Haskell: Category Theory, Functors, Monoids, Monads/Kleisli Tripples, Applicatives, Semigroups, Catamorphisms etc.
Re: Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by bb6xt(m): 11:23am On Nov 27, 2014
My Favorite Haskell Libraries:

JSON Parsing: Aeson
Web framework: scotty, yesod
DBAPI: mysql-simple/postgresql-simple, HaSQL
ORM: persistent, persistent-esqueleto
Html Templating: blaze-html, shakespearean, heist
etc...
Re: Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by asalimpo(m): 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2014
You could'nt explain yourself outta papper bag.
What does "functional" mean ?
What does "lazy" mean?
What does "type system" mean?

A newbie could still be as lost as he was b4 readg ur post.
Re: Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by bb6xt(m): 2:41am On Nov 28, 2014
@asalimpo: This topic was not intended as an introduction to Haskell or functional programming in general. I was only looking to find other Haskell enthusiasts like myself and surely anyone in this category would already be familiar with the meaning of functional programming. However, if I could spark your interest enough to make you Google the term then I'd say I have done quite well in the former as well as the latter.
Re: Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by asalimpo(m): 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
bb6xt:
@asalimpo: This topic was not intended as an introduction to Haskell or functional programming in general. I was only looking to find other Haskell enthusiasts like myself and surely anyone in this category would already be familiar with the meaning of functional programming. However, if I could spark your interest enough to make you Google the term then I'd say I have done quite well in the former as well as the latter.

i hav explored haskell, and other fp languages. I know wat those terms mean. i wasnt writng for my benefit but for the benefit of others . If you're too obtuse to spook d interest of novices you're not being as effectve as you shud.
If you're writng to those already into functional programmng and d like, your artcle bcomes more unnecessary cuz these folks already know these things,though maybe not d language semantics.
If you're writng to experienced programmers in other paradigms e.g oop,
givng them d gist in one place is far mor convenient thn making them google /wiki terms while/after reading ur write up (most wont and ur effort wud b less effectve).
On a marketing scale , which your artcle is,though unintentionally, you cud b losng customers. Or you cud b more effective.
Re: Are There Any Haskell Programmers Here by Zeta(m): 4:13am On Mar 03, 2019
I doubt this would get a response quickly. Make I try my luck.

I've been looking into Haskell for a number of years now though on and off.

I love the language and have written a few programs in it. Nothing big. In my Haskell study, I got stuck around Monad Transformers. It seems without this you can't use Haskell effectively.

I would love to talk to anyone in Nigeria who has been able to surpass this and use Haskell productively. Having to tame the use of the mtl or the transformers libraries and to write your own Monad transformers have been a challenge.

My Nairaland profile has my twitter profile link. I would love a direct message cos I don't check Nairaland as I used to when I was younger.

Many thanks.

(1) (Reply)

How To Insert Items Into Different Table / Get Started With Laravel 5 – Tutsplus / I Will Teach Spss, Autocad, Project Mgt, Revit, Phpmyadmin And U Teach Me Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.