Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,342 members, 7,954,398 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:07 PM

Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access (1569 Views)

I Wanna Learn Coding And Microsoft Access In Ibadan.. / Help With Attendance Form And Report With Microsoft Access / Is Microsoft Access Still Relevant Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by JFACTOR1(m): 5:00am On Mar 16, 2016
I am designing a database (Using Table Design in Microsoft Access) to track all of our members in an NGO I run.

I have created a field in the main table called "State" where the user is
given a list of all the states in Nigeria. The field right next to State is called "Local Government"
where I'm hoping to make the options dependent upon what is chosen in the
State field.

I'm not sure how to do this properly...any suggestions??

Thanks SO much in advance...I'm going crazy trying to figure this out!!!
Re: Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by JFACTOR1(m): 5:01am On Mar 16, 2016
Mods pls help a brother in need move this to front page
Re: Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by bigtt76(f): 5:52am On Mar 16, 2016
You need to create individual tables for both the states and local governments.

On the table for the local governments, you need to make as part of the table column the primary key of the states table, the foreign key on the local governments table and also a column for state code. Make sure that on the states table you have the state codes for each state matches the corresponding local governments in the table.

Once done, go to your MS Access field types and select the lookup field options which will work you through a wizard to configure the dependent dropdown field you want.

I hope this helps.
Re: Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by JFACTOR1(m): 6:40am On Mar 16, 2016
Thanks a lot bigtt. Let me try it now
Re: Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by bigtt76(f): 7:21pm On May 11, 2016
The difference between a lookup field's display value and its bound value is that the display value is displayed in Datasheet view while the bound value is the stored value.

When a lookup field is viewed or accessed in a datasheet, it is called a lookup column.

Lookup fields can be either simple or complex. Simple lookup fields let you store only a single value. Complex lookup fields or multi-value lookup fields let you store multiple values that are displayed in a combo box or a list box control. For each entry in a multi-value field, a display value is "looked up" based on its corresponding bound value. Providing a choice of lookup values helps avoid data entry errors by limiting the values that can be entered.

You can get more on this here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-how-data-is-displayed-by-creating-a-lookup-field-44449cf7-ffdb-4a73-b980-495c0e66afdb

3doursdown:

Well done bigtt76. I'm presently learning Access myself and I'm quite confused about "Bound value and display value in look up fields". As it's being inferred to all of a sudden in the book I'm studying but wasn't explained earlier. (Ms Access for Dummies)

Anyways though Will continue learning and researching when PHCN brings back the light. Just thought to commend you, and was actually happy I completely understood this thread.

1 Like

Re: Help Him Create Interdependent Fields Microsoft Access by bigtt76(f): 12:39pm On May 12, 2016
Ok great. Uwc

3doursdown:

Okay issue resolved. Was actually explained earlier. had to go reread the section. Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know Itex Integrated Services In VI / Encryption (AES) / I Need Telegram Bot And An App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.