Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

I Need Help Learning Chess - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Need Help Learning Chess (2271 Views)

Unibadan Distance Learning 2011/2012 Admited Student Let Meet Here / Unilag: Distance Learning Institute Form Is Out / University Of Abuja Distance Learning Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Nastydroid(m): 1:34am On Feb 26, 2015
Craigston:
Solverlabs Chess. I dunno if it's available for other platforms. I'm using blackberry OS 6.
thanks
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Dmayor7(m): 2:50am On May 28, 2015
Chess is fun! I took it up because it is a challenging game and it keep your mind sharp...

To be sincere with you, i have not played with a chess board. I only learnt chess through mobile then i download to my pc and bingo!...

Now first you got to understand one thing. I can not explain everything here in details because most of them will require drawings to explain, but i will put you in the right direction.

Chess is a logical game, so you need all the logic you can muster and you got to think fast and bring in your problem solving mind into play.

Alright, first you got to know that we have..

16 pieces altogether:...
1 king
1 queen
2rooks
2 bishops
2 knights
8 pawns.

The goal is to checkmate your enemy's king. You checkmate when the king is in
a position to be captured and
cannot escape from capture.

The king: he is the most important piece but one of the weakest if not the weakest. Tip: always guide him jelously.

movement
Moves one square to any side provided the square is safe and not occupied by your own piece.

The queen: she is an important piece and the most powerful you have. Tip: use her wisely, think twice thrice before using her. She can be a terror to your enemy so endevour not to loose her.

movement
Moves in all direction as far as the whole board provided your own piece is not blocking. It can move horizontally, vertically, diagonally.

The rook: this is another powerful piece which you got. Tip: they are powerful when used together.

movement
Moves only vertically and horizontally provided your own piece is not blocking it.

The bishops: this piece are two, one stays on the black color while the other stays on the white color and they must maintain it throughout the game. Also powerful in a way so they are important. Tip: when used together they cover their weakness. they can be easily picked by your enemy if used alone.

movement
Moves only diagonally as far as the whole board provided your own piece is not blocking it.

The knights this is a powerful piece second to the queen! Why? Because it can jumb over other piece and moves in a different manner. Tip: use it to charge at your enemy. When put strategically, your enemy will find it hard to break through your line of defence.

movement
Moves in an extraodinary manner! It moves in an L shape in all directions, eg: two square up, then one square left or right. Also this is the only piece that can jump over other piece even if they are on its way! Remember the tip i gave about it above.

The pawns to me, the pawns are the weakest piece for an attack. you find them very unusual but interesting piece. Tip: best used for defence and fish bait.

movement
Their first moves are two square forward after which they only moves one square forward. The can not move backwards, and they capture diagonally.

Coming to rules

I will give a few important oness an later give you a link where to learn them in full.

Pawns can be promoted to any piece of your choice when they reach the other side of the board, that is your enemys' side.

A king and a rook can do what is called castling provided that both of them has not been moved in the current game, also the king must not be in check, again there will not be any other piece in-between them.

When your king is in check there are only three ways you can get it out of it:

By moving out of the way
By blocking with another piece
or...
By capturing the piece threatening your king.

But in a case you can not do any of these, then the game is over!

This is what you will be striving for; to make it impossible for your enemy to do the above.

Now here are some of my little secret..

Use the queen as a last resort
Use the pawns as baits and defence
Use the knight early on to charge and gain grounds.
Always make sure defending the king.
Study the battle field systematically and Do a logical calculation before moving any piece

There are many tricks which i can't explain on paper fully. It requires praticals.

Neverthless, here is another tip..

When your enemy is left with only the king, use a combination of queen and rook to checkmate it. I found it easier.

Now for more incite visit

www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess.

www.wikihow.com/Play-Chess-for-Beginners

hope this will help you.

Chess is a game i love, also i love sodoku. Hope you guys know that one? I am Mr Darlington

1 Like

Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Craigston: 12:18am On May 29, 2015
Thanks for the elaborate introductory explanation, and for the linked resources, Dmayor7. You've done well. Again, thanks.
Re: I Need Help Learning Chess by Dmayor7(m): 12:23am On May 29, 2015
Craigston:
Thanks for the elaborate introductory explanation, and for the linked resources, Dmayor7. You've done well. Again, thanks.

Cool....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: See The Epic Answer A Student Gave To A Mathematical Question . / UNIVERSITY OF Abomey-calavi,republic Of Benin. / Plight Of Mass Communication Graduates In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.