Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,326 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! (814 Views)

Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor / Car Battery / Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! by benefitzte: 7:34am On Nov 29, 2014
My car is a Camry 99 with i4 engined only electrical fix I ve done on it was a few months back when I had alternator issues, I replaced d alternator and d auto electrician did start d car, removed d battery and switched on full light and it was bright without d battery and he told me this is how to test if an alternator is working properly.
Now if I dont use d car for about 24hrs d battery won't start d car, if I leave same battery in another car for 3days without starting d car it wld still start when I need to. Am tired of swapping batteries as d other car is not even mine and not always available.
What could possibly be wrong in my car?
Thanks.
Re: Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! by uboma(m): 9:23am On Nov 29, 2014
Nothing is wrong with your car. Take good care of it and it will serve you well. I suspect the alternator to be the culprit. Was the one you bought last time a used one or brand new? I have learnt not to patronize used car parts (at least some of them) because one can never tell what life they have left before going bad again.

Get a reliable re-wire to look into your alternator and if need be, please get a new one.
Re: Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 29, 2014
Get your "new" battery checked for bad cells. If that is fine, then there is a current drain in your car, which needs to be located and rectified. Or your alternator may have a poor charge rate, just enough to keep the battery warning light off.

Get your car to a COMPETENT garage, not the idiĆ²t who "tests" an alternator for charge rate by running the engine with the battery disconnected.
Re: Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! by AutosBay(m): 11:02am On Nov 29, 2014
Is the battery almost dead? As they get old they loose capacity, and only have enough for maybe one start.

Otherwise you need a meter to measure the current draw from the battery. Then pull fuses one at a time until you find what is using the power.
Re: Car Battery Drains Fast, Help Pls! by benefitzte: 11:35am On Nov 29, 2014
@Autosbay and siena thanks a lot.
The replaced alternator was tokunboh, I would try as suggested. I have a multi tester and I know how to use it on electronic components but is there anyway I can use it to check for what could possibly be causing d battery drain?
Thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

Apple And Google To Start Making Cars. / Weird Speaker Problem In Nissan Maxima 04 Bose Car Stereo System / Imposter On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.