Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! (1145 Views)

BREAKING: EBOLA Hits Nigeria Again, Disease Break Out In Calabar- THENEWS.NG / Shark Attacks Woman In Delta / Bomb Blast In Abuja Nigeria Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Lee29: 12:08am On Nov 30, 2014
I watched CNN today and was deeply disturbed about their insensitivity to recent happenings in Nigeria -insecurity. Boko Haram had over the years attacked and killed scores of Nigerian men in uniform (Police, Soldiers, etc), Christians, Muslims, and pagans. It is therefore very wrong for CNN to claim Boko Haram MAINLY TARGETED MUSLIMS. This FALSE information could further aggravate religious tension presently sweeping through Nigeria. It is an ATTACK on thousands of Nigerians that have been made orphans, rendered homeless and those disabled as a result of bh bombs. Media houses should be careful in their choice of words when reporting sensitive issues. My condolences to families that lost their loved ones through bh activities including the recent sad event in Kano.
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Lee29: 12:09am On Nov 30, 2014
Picture

Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by bigtt76(f): 12:26am On Nov 30, 2014
How is this an attack biko? Your president on that was busy junketing about and even had an award night a day after ....has he cared to visit any of the affected states? You sidon there de cry river ...abeg cry well make we get water for dam generate electricity tongue

2 Likes

Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Nobody: 12:53am On Nov 30, 2014
When I hear people say "nigerians are intelligent people" I bbegin to wonder; where are the intelligent people I'm seeing? Are they the kind that open this kind of thread? Or the buffons that call on radio shows? I juat begin to wonder? ... Kai!!!

2 Likes

Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by emperorchedda(m): 7:53am On Nov 30, 2014
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by personal59: 7:57am On Nov 30, 2014
I dey observe
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 30, 2014
Here's what you don't understand: CNN unlike our media houses, performs investigative journalism. Their word stands over anything our dailies report because its mostly secondary accounts and hearsay ours give out.
I get more accurate and concise information here on nairaland than I get from Nigerian newspapers.

If CNN proclaims boko haram targets mostly muslims, I have no other choice but to believe as its most likely near-truth than our Defence HQ would report.
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Lee29: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2014
charix:
Here's what you don't understand: CNN unlike our media houses, performs investigative journalism. Their word stands over anything our dailies report because its mostly secondary accounts and hearsay ours give out.
I get more accurate and concise information here on nairaland than I get from Nigerian newspapers.

If CNN proclaims boko haram target mostly muslims, I have no other choice but to believe as its most likely near-truth than our Defence HQ would report.
Are u saying soldiers that av continuosly suffered losses from bh attack are muslims? Or scores of Christians killed in their churches in the north are muslims? The nyanya bomb victims, are they muslims too? The list goes on. Truth is bh attacks any1 that opposes their ideology irrespective of 'religion'. CNN shd stop playing religious card on Nigerians
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 01, 2014
Lee29:

I would believe anyone from the frontlines of sambisa if he or her has pictures to back it up but would never believe our defence HQ because they're fond of lying. I would believe any soldier in this campaign over CNN because CNN is yet to report live images from the war.

However, since I've not met anyone from the frontlines and know CNN wouldn't make assumptions without thorough investigation, I would lean my trust towards them. If anyone watched the program I'm sure they'd've noticed mentions of multiple reports and quotes to back up results. CNN does not manufacture statements.
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Lee29: 1:26pm On Dec 01, 2014
charix:

I would believe anyone from the frontlines of sambisa if he or her has pictures to back it up but would never believe our defence HQ because they're fond of lying. I would believe any soldier in this campaign over CNN because CNN is yet to report live images from the war.

However, since I've not met anyone from the frontlines and know CNN wouldn't make assumptions without thorough investigation, I would lean my trust towards them. If anyone watched the program I'm sure they'd've noticed mentions of multiple reports and quotes to back up results. CNN does not manufacture statements.
Bh activities btw May 2013 and Feb 2014 alone shows bh attacks irrespective of religion. Students, soldiers, Christians and muslims. It is wrong for CNN to say bh attack muslims mostly
- May 15: Nigerian troops begin an offensive attack against Boko Haram in the states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, where a state of emergency is declared in order to retake areas which have fallen into the hands of the insurgents.

- June 4: Nigeria formally declares Boko Haram and Ansaru, its suspected offshoot, “terrorist” groups and issues a law to ban them.

- July 6: Gunmen believed to be from Boko Haram attack a secondary school in the north-eastern state of Yobe, killing 42 people, many of whom are students.

Advertisement

- August 10-11: Suspected Islamic extremists kill 56 people in the north-west, including 44 in an attack on a mosque in Konduga.

- September 12: A military strike on a highly-fortified Boko Haram camp in the north-eastern state of Borno kills 150 Islamists.

- September 17: An attack by Boko Haram extremists disguised in military uniforms in the north-eastern Benisheik area in Borno state kills at least 142.

- September 29: Boko Haram gunmen open fire on sleeping students in a college dormitory in north-eastern Yobe state, killing at least 40 people.

- November 13: The United States blacklists Boko Haram and Ansaru as terror groups.

- December 2: Hundreds of heavily armed Boko Haram gunmen besiege an air force and army base in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, destroying aircraft, razing buildings and setting shops and petrol stations ablaze.

- December 16: The United Nations says attacks by Boko Haram have killed more than 1,200 people since May.

- December 20: Scores of suspected Islamic gunmen storm a military barracks in the north-eastern town of Bama, spraying gunfire at the troops inside before torching the compound.

–2014–

- January 26: At least 78 people are killed in two separate attacks in north-east Nigeria — one on a busy market in Borno state and the other in neighbouring Adamawa, with suspicions falling on Boko Haram.

- February 15: An attack blamed on the sect leaves 106 dead in the mostly Christian village of Izghe in Borno.

- February 19: An attack by scores of Boko Haram Islamists in the north-east town of Bama kills 60 people and causes major damage to public buildings.

- Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau threatens attacks in the southern oil region in a new video.

- February 25: Suspected Boko Haram insurgents kill 43 people when they attack sleeping secondary school students in the town of Buni Yadi in Yobe state
Re: CNN Attacks Nigeria Again! by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2014
Lee29:

Now I see the source of the misconception: Boko Haram attacks mainly mulims does not mean boko haram attacks ONLY muslims.
While the events you posted happened its possible many, even more unreported attacks took place against muslims but as a country divided were kept silent to give a faćade of religious war against only christians. The ever reputable organization CNN is, must've digged up those reports to try create an alternative point of view to this crisis. That does not deny any of the reports you posted but makes them pale in comparison to their investigations.

Finally I ask, did you watch the program or you judge based on that screenshot only? Watching the program would spread more light on the 'claims' you keep countering.

(1) (Reply)

Suen, What's This Number Showing On My Nairaland? / What Is Happening In Nairaland That Some Irrelevant Topics Make Front Page. / Mira Macho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.