Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. (35225 Views)

Official Portrait Of Fashola As Minister Of Power, Works And Housing / New Hurdle For Amaechi, Fashola As Senate Rules That Two Senators Must Endorse E / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by SEHHYTEX(m): 2:59am On Dec 01, 2014
The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), has been ruled out as a running mate to the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress anytime the candidate emerges, investigation by The PUNCH has revealed.

A highly placed source in the party, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity in Abuja on Sunday, said that Fashola’s religion had ruled him out of the race.
He said since it was almost certain that the party would field a Muslim as its presidential candidate, it would therefore be out of place to field another Muslim as the running mate.

Apart from a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), the party also has three other known presidential aspirants.
They are a former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar; Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwakwanso; and a newspaper publisher, Mr. Sam Nda-Isaiah.

Out of them, only Nda-Isaiah is a Christian.

The source said that though Fashola remained the best candidate for the position, he however regretted that the issue of religion would deny the party and the country the chance of fielding the governor.
He said, “You know that the South-West is a base for the APC and it also contributed immensely to its formation. We would have preferred Fashola because of his pedigree in the state. Moreover, of all the APC governors from the zone, he is the only one doing his second term.
“But this issue of religion is the problem. Apart from this, other APC governors from the zone are also Muslims. You may need to recall that the enemies of our party tried in vain before to label the party a Muslim party.
“Even though they have failed, we may also need to be guided by the words of advice from former President Olusegun Obasanjo against any party fielding same religion ticket. This is what is hampering us concerning Fashola, whose performance and competence cannot be queried.”

The source said that even though the national leadership of the party was aware that the people of the “South-West are not religious but we are dealing with a larger society now. So, we must be careful.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/apc-rules-out-fashola-as-vice-presidential-candidate/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Caseless: 3:15am On Dec 01, 2014
Jst out ignorance, we've applied religion wrongly as a people. I think if we trully understand religion and what is stands for and what it preaches, it shouldn't deny us good men like fashola and Buhari as VP and president respectively.
See wetin religion don do us abeg...

95 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Nobody: 5:00am On Dec 01, 2014
If you don't present fashola as your VP you will lose gallantly.. Ode

If people won't vote fashola out of religious sentiment...they would also not vote another guy (especially fayemi) out of corruption sentiment... Whichever way, there would always be sentiment anyway..but one thing I know is that when the man there is a known performer...nobody cares about religion.

What have the Muslims gained from sambo being a Muslim? Would it have made any difference if he was a Christian and David Mark a Muslim?

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by brownlords: 5:11am On Dec 01, 2014
"He said since it was almost certain that the party would field a Muslim as its presidential candidate, it would therefore be out of place to field another Muslim as the running mate.
Apart from a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), the party also has three other known presidential aspirants."

I hope obiageli can explain this.

I thought Okorocha is one them? he's name was not even mentioned, even Nda Isiah christian from the North, a party that is planning primary election already knows the religion that will likely get the ticket. Yet madame obiageli said the ticket was not zoned, maybe it was roamed to the north

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by malele(m): 5:19am On Dec 01, 2014
Caseless:
Jst out ignorance, we've applied religion wrongly as a people. I think if we trully understand religion and what is stands for and what it preaches, it shouldn't deny us good men like fashola and Buhari as VP and president respectively.

U people are myopic,whaat did this fashola do in LAg.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by figment232(m): 5:23am On Dec 01, 2014
Apc shld field fashola as their presidential candidate.He is only one that can outwit Jona

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by SeverusSnape(m): 5:24am On Dec 01, 2014
Religion is a very sensitive issue in Nigeria. But what's wrong in fielding him as the presidential candidate?, with that,they'll give PDP a run for their money, cos the other candidates don't stand a chance against Jonathan.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by cktheluckyman: 5:27am On Dec 01, 2014
figment232:
Apc shld field fashola as their presidential candidate.He is only one that can outwit Jona

Fashola as APC presidential candidate will not even win a single state outside the south west

45 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by cktheluckyman: 5:29am On Dec 01, 2014
BiHung:
If you don't present fashola as your VP you will lose gallantly.. Ode

If people won't vote fashola out of religious sentiment...they would also not vote another guy (especially fayemi) out of corruption sentiment... Whichever way, there would always be sentiment anyway..but one thing I know is that when the man there is a known performer...nobody cares about religion.

What have the Muslims gained from sambo being a Muslim? Would it have made any difference if he was a Christian and David Mark a Muslim?
So there are no competent Christians in the APC abi?

11 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by egift(m): 5:31am On Dec 01, 2014
Those who will not vote a Buhari/Fashola because it it a Muslim/Muslim ticket will also NEVER vote APC no matter who are the candidates.

APC should be wary of playing a weaker team in an attempt to please PDP members who will never vote APC. No matter who APC put up as candidates, this group of People will look for any possible lie to demonize them.

Nigerians want to send the Zoologist home, APC will make it easier by presenting the best.

52 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by egift(m): 5:40am On Dec 01, 2014
cktheluckyman:
So there are no competent Christians in the APC abi?

There are so many, but the question is will they also bring in more votes. Election is a game of numbers. With PDP rigging, use of force, fat wallet and more, APC will need all the votes possible to even secure a slim victory.

So there is only one attempt at getting it right. Apart from APC party campaign efforts, one team that can attract most votes in today's Nigeria, is a Buhari/Fashola Ticket.

All it is a fact that anyone who tell you he will not vote APC because they presented a Muslim/Muslim ticket, has already made up their mind not to vote APC, irrespective of the eventual candidate.

Jonathan already has the sympathy, sentiments, greed and selfish voters.

To win 2015,
APC need to target those who will vote for patriotism, competence, vision, independence, diligence, growth, development, etc.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by gists: 5:43am On Dec 01, 2014
Caseless:

My brother, I am tempted to agree with you on the bolded. But I also have a general opinion that on its own, religion is not the problem of Nigeria (or indeed of the world) but the HUMAN INTERPRETATION OF THE MESSAGE OF THE VARIOUS RELIGIONS. Most religious texts for any faith can be turned on its head to suit the purpose of the very powerful human minds.

In this particular case, I believe PDP antics deprive the nation probably the best possible combination. A party that has nothing TANgible thing to campaign on and in its desperation and devilish wisdom decided to cause acrimony among the people in order to stay in power by hammer on the nation's fault line (as if pdp is a christian party and if so let the majority muslim north cast their votes for apc)

10 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by egift(m): 5:49am On Dec 01, 2014
malele:

Tell us your State Governor, let us see if he is better or as good as Fashola? Mine is Chime and am happy with what he has done.

40 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by horlus(m): 5:54am On Dec 01, 2014
They said in America that a black man couldn't become president in America. But guess what? Obama has served two terms. Friends if Apc fields the best candidates and if we nigerians believe in the candidate. We Will Vote no matter the religion.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Firefire(m): 5:57am On Dec 01, 2014
malele:

NOTHING!

Absolutely nothing. Just media noises and fabrications.

They just refused to think right.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by nationwide1(m): 6:03am On Dec 01, 2014
brownlords:
"He said since it was almost certain that the party would field a Muslim as its presidential candidate, it would therefore be out of place to field another Muslim as the running mate.
Apart from a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), the party also has three other known presidential aspirants."

I hope obiageli can explain this.

I thought Okorocha is one them? he's name was not even mentioned, even Nda Isiah christian from the North, a party that is planning primary election already knows the religion that will likely get the ticket. Yet madame obiageli said the ticket was not zoned, maybe it was roamed to the north
I'm surprised too. So Okorocha is not even remembered among their aspirants. Okorocha is on a long thing and his people may reject him when APC frustrates him.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Ryabcool(m): 6:10am On Dec 01, 2014
Buhari with anyone else as VP will lose the election. Fashola is the only one who can win all of South West for Buhari.

11 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Nehemiah459(m): 6:11am On Dec 01, 2014
This just got interesting. #Politics
Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by thoexynne: 6:15am On Dec 01, 2014
Yawn* stretch legs and hand
Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by easystudy101: 6:21am On Dec 01, 2014
true talk
Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by CyberWolf: 6:23am On Dec 01, 2014
egift:

Tell us your State Governor, let us see if he is better or as good as Fashola? Mine is Chime and am happy with what he has done.
but your APC here says he did nothing

3 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by flyingdutchman(m): 6:29am On Dec 01, 2014
Fashola should even be the flag bearer, deputized by Oshiomole or vice-versa. Buhari has a bigger role to play as a King maker and in APC. Everyone has a role. Being flag bearer all the time SMH. We need quality opposition to give PDP a run for their money.

13 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by dridowu: 6:31am On Dec 01, 2014
malele:

This is a question sir. Fashola tried his best for Lagos. I am so sure your Gov did not do upto half of Fashola project . Tell me your state if are not ashame of him.

13 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 01, 2014
“Even though they have failed, we may also need to be guided by the words of advice from former President Olusegun Obasanjo against any party fielding same religion ticket. This is what is hampering us concerning Fashola, whose performance and competence cannot be queried.

Any country that can prefer and select a Jonathan ahead of Fashola simply because of religion will NEVER progress.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by newguy1(m): 6:57am On Dec 01, 2014
Are these apc people serious sha less than sixty days to election and we still don't know who they think is best for Nigeria among them. All this just confirm it to me that they are only after beat pdp. That is there end goal.

9 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Caseless: 6:58am On Dec 01, 2014
malele:

blind duck, even ur pdp cudnt deny that fact.

13 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Desola(f): 7:00am On Dec 01, 2014
Awon ode! Commenting without asking for the source of this fabrication!

I shake my head for Naija youths o.

3 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Caseless: 7:02am On Dec 01, 2014
gists:

My brother, I am tempted to agree with you on the bolded. But I also have a general opinion that on its own, religion is not the problem of Nigeria (or indeed of the world) but the HUMAN INTERPRETATION OF THE MESSAGE OF THE VARIOUS RELIGIONS. Most religious texts for any faith can be turned on its head to suit the purpose of the very powerful human minds.

In this particular case, I believe PDP antics deprive the nation probably the best possible combination. A party that has nothing TANgible thing to campaign on and in its desperation and devilish wisdom decided to cause acrimony among the people in order to stay in power by hammer on the nation's fault line (as if pdp is a christian party and if so let the majority muslim north cast their votes for apc)
may God bless ur wife!
That is exactly my point. The simple and common message of every religion which harps on love, tolerance, peace, respect has been ignored by these so called adherents of religion and, they want u to believe they follow the teaching of their religion.

3 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by calebbintus: 7:08am On Dec 01, 2014
Naso
Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by tit(f): 7:10am On Dec 01, 2014
fashola can run for president.

3 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 01, 2014
The extent at which PDP and the Jonathanians have painted APC as an islamic party deceiving gullible Nigerians to believe that APC has an Islamic agenda,you will be very shocked. The people of the north and southwest might not be bothered if APC fields in muslim/muslim candidates but I fear for the people of the southsouth and southeast and likely middle-belt.

Rochas Okorocha hasn't bought his nomination form so I wonder why he should be listed among the contestants.

12 Likes

Re: APC drops Fashola As potential Vice Presidential Candidate. by EagleNest(m): 7:15am On Dec 01, 2014
But MKO and Kingibe won in 1994 as moslem/moslem. Was it not same Nigeria?

At this point in Nigeria's struggle for survival, what we need is competent leaders while turning blind eyes to religion.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Presidential Aides Bicker Over Buhari, Tinubu Feud - Daily Independent / My Husband's Obsession With Biafra Is Scary - Nnamdi Kanu's Wife / Governor Fayose, Others Risk Jail For Campaign Billboards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.