Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths (758 Views)

Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari / Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths / Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by paulworld(m): 6:07am On Dec 01, 2014
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has told youths to take up the responsibility and effect the needed change in Nigeria instead of blaming the previous generations for the nation’s decay.

The former President said this at the 100th-year anniversary of Ijero Baptist Church in Lagos on Sunday.

Obasanjo said the generation before him fought for Nigeria’s independence while his generation fought for Nigeria’s unity during the civil war.

He said the subsequent generation also fought for democracy.

Obasanjo, therefore, said it was time for the next generation to make its own contribution to national development instead of complaining.

He said, “Recently, a son of my friend looked at everything around him and got angry and went to meet his dad who is my age mate. He told his father that our generation is a lost one. The father did not pay him any attention so he came to meet me.

“He told me what he told his father and justified it by telling me that he went to the university and graduated but got no job. So, our generation has failed him. So I told him that it is normal because that was how we used to blame the generation before us.

“But I told him that the generation before mine was the one that fought for our independence. Whichever way we want to criticise them, they gave us independence. Then my generation which you say is not good, fought the civil war. We fought for the unity of Nigeria and if we did not do so, you probably would need a visa to travel to Kano or Port Harcourt. Not only that but that generation also established the foundation of democracy.

“So what do you claim your generation has achieved? It is part of it. We have seen what successive leaders of each generation have done, what can we say about you? What can we say about your generation?”

Obasanjo, who noted that he attended the Ijero Baptist Church for the first time in 1946, said that the fact that the church was still standing after 100 years was worth celebrating.

The minister in charge, Rev. Olayemi Aderibigbe, who also inaugurated the Ijero Baptist Church History Book, urged youths to continue to build on the good which the church had done over the years so as to be able to give a lasting legacy to the next generation.
http://www.punchng.com/news/fight-for-nigerias-survival-obasanjo-tells-youths/
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by PAINGAIN: 6:11am On Dec 01, 2014
Naija youths need to step up. Anyways I'll b back, I'm preparing for school. If you r wondering, yes,I'm in france.
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by GboyegaD(m): 6:17am On Dec 01, 2014
Yes we need to fight for ourselves but one thing he is forgetting is that he is one of those who plunged us into this utter darkness we are in right now as a nation.
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by Ayoola171(m): 6:22am On Dec 01, 2014
Well said baba, Baba is telling us to be proactive and stop complaining of backwardness our leaders has brought to us; Nice one from Elderly man. I believe if it's going to be is up to you and i, the success of Nigeria is the responsibility of Nigerians; youth inclusive. Our success lies in our hands.
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by fiverrwin(f): 6:24am On Dec 01, 2014
We are watching
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by Ikengawo: 6:29am On Dec 01, 2014
[size=15pt]YOUTHS, FIGHT FOR NIGERIA'S SURVIVAL BY ELECTING A 73 YEAR OLD FORMER MILITARY DICTATOR[/size]
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by holatin(m): 6:32am On Dec 01, 2014
yes, make we strive for change, an end to killing and corruption
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by Alphaoscar: 6:39am On Dec 01, 2014
its high time the youths step up their game and fight for the soul of this country. enough of same of the same.
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by kettykin: 6:44am On Dec 01, 2014
Obj is one of the problems of Nigeria , if only that generation honored Aburi Accord there would have been no civil war and the boko haram issue would not have arisen
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by PAINGAIN: 7:09am On Dec 01, 2014
kettykin:
Obj is one of the problems of Nigeria , if only that generation honored Aburi Accord there would have been no civil war and the boko haram issue would not have arisen
the one wey dey vex me anytime obasanjo says something is dat he was d president for 8 years but he did nothing to make naija better. Anyways,thank God I dey france.
Re: Fight For Nigeria’s Survival, Obasanjo Tells Youths by Energito: 7:19am On Dec 01, 2014
His sons should lead the fight.

(1) (Reply)

IYC Slams Amaechi Over Comment On Jonathan / Who Is Best For Buhari As Running Mate To Ensure Victory Over GEJ? / BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Chooses Pastor Yemi Osinbajo As Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.