Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About (3355 Views)

An Atheist Should Explain This Please / Words Atheist Should Stop Saying To Theist / I Think Atheist Should Be Considered A Mental Illness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 2:58pm On Dec 01, 2014
mmsen:

You said 'that is enough' without explain what it is enough for.

I said 'may exist' because a negative cannot be proven.

I might be the Messiah. You might be the devil. Atlantis may have existed. The Loch Ness Monster might be a reality. They might all be true but are all unlikely - likewise Catholic dogma.

A negative can be proven!

You believe God probably exists.

That is enough for me. If it isn't enough for you, then maybe you should prove that there is a possibility of God's existence.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by ayoku777(m): 2:59pm On Dec 01, 2014
voltron:

No offense, Religious folks have this uncanny ability to be both Closed and Open Minded all at the same time. It is a Miracle of Science tongue

That may be true, in a way.

There are doctrines in christianity that are fundamental and basic to our faith; you wouldn't be a christian anymore if you're "open-minded" on those doctrines.

For example, faith in who Christ is and what He did according to the scripture is basic to the christian faith.

To believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God; and that He died for our sins and rose for our justification is what makes you a believer.

This is the conviction and confession the Holy Spirit seals you with; and true believers can stake their life and eternity on it. To be "open-minded" about this truth means you're not a true believer.

For a true christian, who Christ is and what He did according to the scripture is not a negotiable truth, it is EOD (End of discussion), otherwise you're not a christian.

But when it comes to some many other things; especially on science and science laws, we can be open-minded.

We are free to understand things from the perspective of science and scientific laws, because we equally believe science is the study of God's creation and creativity.

Many christians freely theorize, speculate and postulate on aspects of science and its laws. And that is very ok as long as the theories don't begin to undermine the truth of the fundamentals of the faith.

So yeah you're partly right in what you said. There are "non-negotiables" in christianity.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
davien:
And we both know the earth is flat too right undecided

You're still here. You just can't have enough of God.

1 Like

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by davien(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by davien(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:

You're still here. You just can't have enough of God.
So now you're "god"? or are you blaspheming your own belief now?
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by mmsen: 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:

A negative can be proven!

You believe God probably exists.

That is enough for me. If it isn't enough for you, then maybe you should prove that there is a possibility of God's existence.

I have never said that god probably exists (please don't make up more lies). It is a theory but it is unlikely to be true.

I pointed out (and I stress) that it is not possible to refute every ridiculous theory that mankind creates.

P.S.
An exclamation mark does not make something true.

2 Likes

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 3:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
mmsen:

I have never said that god probably exists (please don't make up more lies). It is a theory but it is unlikely to be true.

I pointed out (and I stress) that it is not possible to refute every ridiculous theory that mankind creates.

P.S.
An exclamation mark does not make something true.

Oh! I thought you said 'God may exist' here:
There may or may not be a god or several but it's curious how these gods need spokespeople who often profit financially by using said gods as a means to extract resources from the sheep.

undecided
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2014
davien:
So now you're "god"? or are you blaspheming your own belief now?
But we know you're not here for me. You're here to discuss God. smiley
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by plaetton: 3:27pm On Dec 01, 2014
ayoku777:
This is another quote I love:

You can't claim to be a free-thinker, when you are not free to include divinity and spirituality in your possible theories and case scenarios; especially for things you can't explain yet

You can't claim to be a true believer if you are not free to believe in Santa Clause or the gods of your ancestors.

2 Likes

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by mmsen: 3:28pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:

Oh! I thought you said 'God may exist' here:

undecided

Possible is not 'probable'.

I like how you ignored the 'or may not'..

1 Like

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by plaetton: 3:31pm On Dec 01, 2014
Dopeyomi:
I would rather live my life as if there
is a God and die to find out there isn't,than live my
life as if there isn't and die to find out there is!

Well, if the risk and dangers of not believing in god is zero , as we already believe, then pascal wager is useless.
pascal wager is only useful to those who are already yolked in a life of fear.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by davien(m): 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:
But we know you're not here for me. You're here to discuss God. smiley
I'm here for the people who influence others based on that belief.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 3:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
davien:
I'm here for the people who influence others based on that belief.

Or you're here to talk about God...a way to put away that innate fear that he might exist after all is said and done.

Aren't you one of those who say that God or gods may exist?

Or do you claim that God or gods have 0% chance of existing?
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by italo: 3:42pm On Dec 01, 2014
mmsen:

Possible is not 'probable'.

I like how you ignored the 'or may not'..

So you believe God or gods possibly exist! grin

Prove that there is a chance God exists.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by davien(m): 3:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:

Or you're here to talk about God...a way to put away that innate fear that he might exist after all is said and done.

Aren't you one of those who say that God or gods may exist?

Or do you claim that God or gods have 0% chance of existing?
Nice confirmation bias..
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by honourhim: 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2014
plaetton:

You can't claim to be a true believer if you are not free to believe in Santa Clause or the gods of your ancestors.

A very ridiculous logic. Is this all that your brain could tell you? This one no make sense abeg. HahahahaHahaha. Heheheheheehe. Huhuhuhuhuhu. See desperado o.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by plaetton: 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2014
honourhim:

A veru ridiculous statement. Is this all that your brain could tell you? This one no make sense abeg. HahahahaHahaha. Heheheheheehe. Huhuhuhuhuhu. See desperado o.

I am glad that you agree that it is a ridiculous statement.
That was the point I was trying to make.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by mmsen: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2014
italo:
So you believe God or gods possibly exist! grin

Prove that there is a chance God exists.

I am convinced that the theory to which you subscribe to is false.

I am also convinced that you have strong doubts hence why you insist on talking around the issue - why would you ask someone to 'prove that there is a chance God exists'?

1 Like

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by honourhim: 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2014
plaetton:

I am glad that you agree that it is a ridiculous statement.
That was the point I was trying to make.
Thank you.

Hahahaahahahaha see desperado. Hahahahaha. Thank you for accepting that you ridiculed yourself. Haahahahaha.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by plaetton: 5:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
honourhim:

Hahahaahahahaha see desperado. Hahahahaha. Thank you for accepting that you ridiculed yourself. Haahahahaha.

Ahh.
Your myopia and short attention span prevented you from comprehending that I was merely using same rhetoric, same logic to ridicule the post I was responding to.

2 Likes

Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by honourhim: 5:51pm On Dec 01, 2014
plaetton:

Ahh.
Your myopia and short attention span prevented you from comprehending that I was merely using same rhetoric, same logic to ridicule the post I was responding to.

Carry your exlanation and park one side. Suffer your ridicule alone abeg. grin.
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by Maamin(m): 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2014
davien:
Its not surprising you don't understand...
Perhaps you are bald and found that analogy offensive..lol cheesy
Either way.....is the lack of hair in bald people,due to the fear of hair?

check my pics on my profile..am far from bald grin..i dont find it offensive a bit. Is just that your analogy was used wrongly. cheesy
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by davien(m): 5:58pm On Dec 01, 2014
Maamin:

check my pics on my profile..am far from bald grin..i dont find it offensive a bit. Is just that your analogy was used wrongly. cheesy
Re: A Reasonable Quote Atheist Should Think About by honourhim: 6:07pm On Dec 01, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

Africa, Foreign Religions And Cultural Genocide. / Vision: Chip Implantation Jobs Coming To Nigeria. Stand Firm For Christ. / The Evil Of Tribalism In The Nigeria Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.