Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,526 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal (1286 Views)

Lawyer Withdraws Suit Seeking Metuh’s Release / Suit Seeking To Disqualify Buhari Adjourned To Wednesday. / Speaker Tambuwal Defects To APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by cktheluckyman: 5:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
The Speaker of the House of Representative, Aminu Tambuwal, has petitioned the National Judicial Council, NJC, after a member of the House, Abiodun Akinlade, filed a suit asking a Federal High Court in Abuja to sack him as speaker and member of the House.

The suit, No. FHC/ABJ/CS/871/2014, joins the House of Representatives, Federal Government of Nigeria, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, as defendants.

In his petition, Mr. Tambuwal said he was aware the suit has been assigned to Court 8, presided over by Justice E.S.J Chukwu, a judge, whose antecedents, the speaker said, cannot guarantee fairness.

“Sometime in 2013, the said Presiding Judge, Justice ESJ Chukwu presided over the case of Peoples Democratic Party & 12 ORS VS. INEC & 4 ORS, wherein he made a judicial pronouncement, which has been interpreted by some, to the effect that there was no division, in Peoples Democratic Party,” the speaker wrote in his petition.

The 2013 ruling concluded that there was no division in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, despite the formation of a group of estranged party members led by a former party leader, Abubakar Baraje. The group, called new PDP, later joined the All Progressives Congress, APC.

That judgement has been severally cited by the PDP in lawsuits against members of the House who decamped from its fold to the APC.

The Nigerian Constitution permits a public official elected on the platform of a given party to defect only if the party is in crisis and has factions.

Mr. Tambuwal’s cites divisions in the PDP as reason for his recent defection to APC, a claim the ruling party rejects and wants him sacked.

The Speaker however said Justice Chukwu’s ruling portends bias, more so, since his arguments were relied upon by another judge, A.F.A Ademola, even when the suit before him had nothing to do with defection.

“And as such, the defendants in that case, who are members of the House of Representatives, who have similar cases as mine, currently pending in the Federal High Court Abuja, were not protected by proviso to Section 68(1) (g) of the 1999 Constitution.

“He (Ademola) rested his decision on that earlier judgement of Justice Chukwu aforementioned,” he said.
Also, the speaker said Mr. Ademola’s ruling is currently a subject of four pending appeals at the Court of Appeal in Abuja.

Mr. Tambuwal said his concern regarding the case instituted by his colleague lawmaker, Mr. Akinlade, is in respect of the presiding Judge, Mr. Chukwu, and the likelihood that he will not be fair.

“Having made a pronouncement on similar issues, in similar cases, decided by him, clearly shows that he has an iron cast judicial position or opinion in respect of Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/871/2014 concerning me, Sir, which has just been assigned to him,” the speaker said in the petition sent through the Chief Justice of the Federation, Mahmud Mohammed.

Mr. Tambuwal added that a review of the new case assigned to Justice Chukwu shows that the PDP is asking the judge to interpret the decisions of the Court in the two cases mentioned earlier, invariably meaning “to sit on Appeal over his own decision”.

“My apprehension is further fortified by the fact that both decisions of Justice Chukwu and Justice Ademola as captured in the said suits are subject of Appeal in the Court of Appeal,” he said.

Quoting judicial precedent, Speaker Tambuwal highlighted that there is a strong likelihood of bias if Justice Chukwu is assigned the suit filed by Mr. Akinlade.

“I humbly urge my Lord to re-assign the said Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/871/2014 to a neutral judge, who has not made any judicial pronouncement on the issue, or made public his own opinion on the issue at hand,” Mr. Tambuwal said.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/172175-speaker-tambuwal-wants-biased-judge-changed-suit-seeking-removal.html
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by cktheluckyman: 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
TAMBUWAL GOING!!!!!LOADING...........

5 Likes

Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by LeOstrich: 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
Tambuwal's only trait and attribute is stalling.
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by eunisam: 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2014
Timebombwa your problem started the moment you decamp to APC. Be careful not to mar your political future.

1 Like

Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by nduchucks: 6:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
Tabuwal has no legal leg to stand on here.

It's like a traffic violator asking for a judge to be removed because the judge had ruled on Running the red light in the past.

Those of you who know what a functioning traffic light is, will understand.

3 Likes

Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by laimo(m): 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
It's a perfectly legal request.
Omisore requested a change of judge in his election petition too and it was done pronto.

So what is good for Omisore is good for Tambuwal. We're all Nigerians.
I'm just laughing at pdp. It's never been this hard for pdp to win/rig election until now.

Support APC.

1 Like

Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by PhockPhockMan: 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
nduchucks:

It's like a traffic violator asking for a judge to be removed because the judge had ruled on Running the red light in the past.

Who hacked nduchucks account? Because, I've never seen him talk truthfully like this.

1 Like

Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 01, 2014
nduchucks:

Malam Nduchuks is ur name Nduka?

grin
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by nduchucks: 11:00pm On Dec 01, 2014
mikeansy:

Malam Nduchuks is ur name Nduka?

grin

NL Pen name is Nduka Chukwunenye to be precise. cool
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by nduchucks: 11:05pm On Dec 01, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Who hacked nduchucks account? Because, I've never seen him talk truthfully like this.

No one hacked my account. I always speak truthfully and my point of view is typically superior to yours and I understand why you must hide ya shame in believing that I am not truthful. I must add that it does please me to throw you people a piece of bone once in a while. smiley

Tambuwal will probably lose this particular battle, in this bias Judge's court, but we all know that the Supreme Court will have the last word. Frankly, it is not in the best interest of either party for the supreme court to rule on this issue.
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 01, 2014
nduchucks:

No one hacked my account. I must add that it does please me to throw you people a piece of bone once in a while. smiley

Tambuwal will probably lose this particular battle, in this bias Judge's court, but we all know that the Supreme Court will have the last word. Frankly, it is not in the best interest of either party for the supreme court to rule on this issue.

its in the best interest of Nigeria

let the defection madness stop

those who do should do so with conviction and give up power, whether they are defecting to PDP or otherwise
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by nduchucks: 11:18pm On Dec 01, 2014
mikeansy:

its in the best interest of Nigeria

let the defection madness stop

those who do should do so with conviction and give up power, whether they are defecting to PDP or otherwise

I generally agree with the above.

What I fail to understand is how anyone can say, at this point, that there is no division within PDP. The divsion is obvious and that is why the Supreme Court will ultimately rule in favour of Tambuwal. When division is present, folks like Tambuwal have a constitutional right to defect, if they so choose.
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 01, 2014
nduchucks:

I generally agree with the above.

What I fail to understand is how anyone can say, at this point, that there is no division within PDP. The divsion is obvious and that is why the Supreme Court will ultimately rule in favour of Tambuwal. When division is present, folks like Tambuwal have a constitutional right to defect, if they so choose.

but what is the definition of division within a party?

Does a recognised division mean INEC has to have 2 factions of PDP registered with her?

Does it mean the 2 factions must have a recognised footprint across the country and within a minimum period in order to satisfy the grounds of a division?

Or is Tambuwal merely refusing to speak to the PDP chairman or executives in Sokoto qualify as division within the party?

Surely there must be some pre-requisite. and this is where the pronouncement by the court that Pdp has no division is the only thing to go by.
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by Jesusloveyou: 11:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
eunisam:
Timebombwa your problem started the moment you decamp to APC. Be careful not to mar your political future.
d saTANiod is also feeling d heat.d saTAN dat said tambuwa wil not be speaker,himself wil not be president.
Re: Speaker Tambuwal Wants ‘biased’ Judge Changed In Suit Seeking His Removal by nduchucks: 11:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
mikeansy:

but what is the definition of division within a party?

Does a recognised division mean INEC has to have 2 factions of PDP registered with her?

Does it mean the 2 factions must have a recognised footprint across the country and within a minimum period in order to satisfy the grounds of a division?

Or is Tambuwal merely refusing to speak to the PDP chairman or executives in Sokoto qualify as division within the party?

Surely there must be some pre-requisite. This Tambuwal made-up PDP crisis wont stand.

These are questions for the Supreme Court. May God help this great country of ours.

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan: A Litany Of Failed Promises By Babatunde Raji Fashola / INCREDIBLE: We'll Arrest Obasanjo And APC Gangsters - 'FG' / APC States Presidential Campaign Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.