Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,061 members, 7,814,649 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Rover 75: Users Please Review - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rover 75: Users Please Review (2308 Views)

I Need A Mechanic That Can Change Rover 75 Engine To Honda Engine / Overheating In Rover 75 V6 2.5 Liter Engine / How Much Is A Rover 75 In Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rover 75: Users Please Review by PerfectFortune: 9:26am On Dec 02, 2014
Hello nairalanders,

I look forward to acquiring a Rover 75, 2000 - 2004 model.

I will appreciate users review of the car.

Information like fuel efficiency, ruggedity/durability, parts availability and so on will be highly appreciated.

If yours was converted, how efficient was it after conversion?

Let's keep the ball rolling!!!!!

Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Lexusgs430: 1:21pm On Dec 02, 2014
Since you are still looking forward, best to look backward or fast forward!!!! Avoid this car like fire is chasing you, unless you are ready for hypertension tinz !!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Export1: 5:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
Hello!

It might be interesting!
MODEL WATCH

With a price tag in the $50-$60,000 bracket at launch the Rover 75 was in its natural environment, but instead of being a dominant player in the prestige segment it was trying to claw its way in after an absence of many years.

In its absence the market had gone through a significant change and the prestige segment had become a particularly congested one with the likes of BMW, VW, Audi, Lexus, Saab, Jaguar, Volvo and ‘Benz all scrapping for a share. It didn’t matter how good the Rover 75 was it was always going to struggle.

It went beyond the car itself. There were questions about the reliability and competence of the dealer network, the ability of the factory to supply parts, and there was the instability of the company back in its homeland.

There were plenty ready to knock the Rover on its arrival. They were ready, even eager, to remind everyone that it was British, that the British industry had won a reputation for its inability to build quality cars, and that it was locked in a time warp.

To gain the respect of the critics the 75 had to offer something the others didn’t, it had to be better.

First impressions were that it wasn’t better than the class leaders, and in some respects it trailed them.

The 75 was a conventional mid-sized front-wheel drive sedan or wagon with a cross-mounted V6 engine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
Export, you've said a lot about the Rover 75, yet you've covered nothing.

@PerfectFortune, if you wish to retain your sanity, and not squander a small fortune, please stay away from the Rover 75. All petrol engines fitted to this model were the fragile, and much publicised K-Series motors. Poor aluminium cylinder block casting technique, poor cylinder head sealing, steel liners than sank on the rubber rings they were suspended on.

The results? Blown cylinder head gaskets, most often accompanied by cracked cylinder heads, over heating and a constantly pressurising cooling system, forcing coolant into the oil galleries, filling the sump with an oil / coolant mix, that emulsified and destroyed the crankshaft.

The only robust engine fitted to the Rover 75 was BMW's excellent 2.0 DOHC 16V common-rail direct injection turbodiesel. All Rover K-Series - from the 1.8 14 to the 2.5 V6 were garbage. Even in the hands of a seasoned technician, the K-Series engines are not easy to keep running the way they should.

Unless you truly love the shape of the Rover 75, and are able to cope with the mechanical short comings, I would walk away, and look at other brands. The 75 would try the patience of a saint.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 02, 2014
Export, it is good to at least acknowledge the source of your copying and pasting. Little wonder most of your responses in no way relate to the query the poster makes! angry

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/used-car-review-rover-75-2001-2004-13404

1 Like

Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by PerfectFortune: 12:57am On Dec 03, 2014
Siena:
Export, you've said a lot about the Rover 75, yet you've covered nothing.

@PerfectFortune, if you wish to retain your sanity, and not squander a small fortune, please stay away from the Rover 75. All petrol engines fitted to this model were the fragile, and much publicised K-Series motors. Poor aluminium cylinder block casting technique, poor cylinder head sealing, steel liners than sank on the rubber rings they were suspended on.

The results? Blown cylinder head gaskets, most often accompanied by cracked cylinder heads, over heating and a constantly pressurising cooling system, forcing coolant into the oil galleries, filling the sump with an oil / coolant mix, that emulsified and destroyed the crankshaft.

The only robust engine fitted to the Rover 75 was BMW's excellent 2.0 DOHC 16V common-rail direct injection turbodiesel. All Rover K-Series - from the 1.8 14 to the 2.5 V6 were garbage. Even in the hands of a seasoned technician, the K-Series engines are not easy to keep running the way they should.

Unless you truly love the shape of the Rover 75, and are able to cope with the mechanical short comings, I would walk away, and look at other brands. The 75 would try the patience of a saint.

I really appreciate your review, most of the possible constant fault stated are quite common from a number of reviews I'v read so far on other fora.

Since I am yet to get the car, guess I will rather stay away from it for good.

I admire the body though, design is awesome.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Nobody: 3:20am On Dec 03, 2014
PerfectFortune:

I really appreciate your review, most of the possible constant fault stated are quite common from a number of reviews I'v read so far on other fora.

Since I am yet to get the car, guess I will rather stay away from it for good.

I admire the body though, design is awesome.

The design and interior is awesome, a car I wish I could do an engine transplant just to own one. It has this baby jaguar look to it. I think MG bought the company so I saw the newer models with same shape.

My friend used to have one in school then the car almost took him out of school till date we didn't know how he disposed the car we just noticed he got a camry instead. He called the car "agbano" lol I hope I spelt it right money sucking demon.

1 Like

Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by PerfectFortune: 7:48am On Dec 03, 2014
cne010:

The design and interior is awesome, a car I wish I could do an engine transplant just to own one. It has this baby jaguar look to it. I think MG bought the company so I saw the newer models with same shape.

My friend used to have one in school then the car almost took him out of school till date we didn't know how he disposed the car we just noticed he got a camry instead. He called the car "agbano" lol I hope I spelt it right money sucking demon.

You just nailed it man. The body is mind-blowing. Guess the bad engine should be the same series used in Land Rover Freelanders. I once usd the SUV and I can tell you the engine is far from durable, it is extra-agbano.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by camaro(m): 7:58am On Dec 03, 2014
That car is a bunch of problems, she will skin your scalp. My technician friend who is enjoying his own did an engine transplant along side the ecu for 2001 Toyota camry. I will post the pictures soon.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by PerfectFortune: 8:22am On Dec 03, 2014
camaro:
That car is a bunch of problems, she will skin your scalp. My technician friend who is enjoying his own did an engine transplant along side the ecu for 2001 Toyota camry. I will post the pictures soon.

Ehenn? The car na die be that o. undecided
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
camaro:

I thought about that for a while but I would rather have a V6 implanted.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by AutosBay(m): 4:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
For
It's excellent over long distances and smoothes out bumps like a luxury car

Against
The rear seats are cramped and you get a much sharper drive from its German rivals

Source: m.whatcar.com
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by peterjero(m): 5:33pm On Dec 03, 2014
Whatcar.com always give British cars good reviews even when they are crap.
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by Readonee35L(m): 11:04pm On Dec 03, 2014
camaro:

i'd be waiting for the pictures okay smiley smiley
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by PerfectFortune: 2:22pm On Dec 08, 2014
camaro:

I still look forward to seeing the pictures
Re: Rover 75: Users Please Review by nurey(m): 7:03pm On Dec 08, 2014
I have a friend who is still using that car till now, the car gives him headache and na yahoo guy, he spends a lot of money to repair that shit and the mechanics always reap him off when buying parts because the guy na Igbo.

(1) (Reply)

Honeywell Synlube 5W40 Synthetic Engine Oil / Android 7.1.1 Car Dvd For Corolla/Camry/Highlander/FJ Cruser. (4g Lte, See Pics) / Step By Step Explanation Of How A Car Engine Works.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.