Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,654 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] (8936 Views)

Mercy Has Done It Again! Win World Footballer Of The Year / 5 Reasons Why C.ronaldo Is Better Than Messi / Wayne Rooney: World Player Of The Year 2008! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] by MeGaStReEt: 5:28am On Dec 02, 2008
Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has won the 2008 Ballon d'Or award ahead of Lionel Messi and Fernando Torres.

Re: C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] by tocdee(m): 9:27am On Dec 02, 2008
The Ballon D'or ain't the World Footballer of the Year Award you tongue

Congrats to the lad though.
Re: C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] by aieromon(m): 6:33pm On Dec 02, 2008
Manchester United and Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo is celebrating ''one of the most beautiful days of my life'' after being awarded the prestigious Ballon d'Or on Tuesday.

In the early hour Ronaldo, who inspired United to the Champions League and Premier League double this year, was named as the successor 2007's winner, Kaka, after convincingly seeing off competition from Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres.

Of the 96 top journalists polled by France Football magazine, 77 voted Ronaldo as their number one player this year and every one placed him in their top five after he scored 42 goals in United's trophy-laden season.

He polled an impressive 446 points from a maximum 480, finishing comfortably ahead of second-placed Messi (281) and third-placed Torres (179).

In so doing the 23-year-old becomes the third Portuguese player to lift the famous trophy - after legendary pair Eusebio and Luis Figo - and the first Premier League player since Michael Owen in 2001 to land the award.

Ronaldo also becomes the fourth Red Devil to take the gong after Denis Law (1964), Bobby Charlton (1966) and George Best (1968).

A total of 11 Premier League players earned votes, with England internationals Steven Gerrard (ninth), Wayne Rooney (13th) and Frank Lampard (15th) flying the flag for Fabio Capello's side.

Speaking to the France Football website, Ronaldo said: ''It is one of the most beautiful days of my life. To gain this trophy is something I dreamed of as a child.

''Great emotion fills me but I cannot really describe it. I want to thank those who voted for me, those who know me and those who live with me. I was not worried, because I was aware of what I did in the course of the season.

''But to the people who mentioned my name, I say thank you. Thank you also to my team-mates. This (trophy) is one that I want to win again because it is so good. Therefore, I will wake and I will say to myself 'I want to be even better'.''

Ronaldo admitted he was proud to be taking the honour ahead of a host of world stars.

''I am only 23 years old and it is splendid, incredible,'' he continued. ''There were other great names this year. I see that Lionel Messi finished second and Fernando Torres third, but also (fifth-placed) Xavi, all these people could have taken the trophy and I won it.''

He is already FIFPro World Player of the Year and also took the top domestic prizes from the Professional Footballers' Association and the Football Writers last season.

However, despite an impressive domestic campaign with United it has not all been smooth sailing for Ronaldo.

His summer efforts at Euro 2008 were less spectacular - he found the net just once before Portugal were eliminated at the quarter-final stage - and his pre-season was dominated by speculation about a move to Real Madrid and then an ankle injury prevented the winger from reprise his scoring form at the start of the term.

After returning to fitness Ronaldo bounced back and has scored eight goals in 11 league games so far this season with United.

Re: C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] by mamagee3(f): 7:52pm On Jul 29, 2010
Congratulations to him!!!
Re: C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] by Mobinga: 7:50am On Jul 31, 2010
Christ! MamaGee. . . . . this was like 2 years ago.

(1) (Reply)

Newcastle Vs Liverpool (0 - 2) On 18th February 2023 / Man United Vs Aston Villa [0 - 1] On Sat 12th Dec / Fulham Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On 9th April 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.