Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,053 members, 7,838,659 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry (12054 Views)

FG Bans Importation Of ‘I-Pass-My-Neighbour’ Generators / Nigeria’s Importation Of Tomato Paste Is A Shame – Cowan / Senators Decry Nigeria’s Importation Of PMS As Shameful — Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by sniperr007(m): 11:25am On Dec 04, 2014
Morkavictor:
see them alway finding excuse to discredit Gej adminstration but will celebrate fashola commissioning of common street light.

Don't blame them,its der myopic view about life that limits der reasoning. Dey tink gud governance is only build road. But forget that is also creating policies that make the environment favorable for job creation like dis administration has done.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by sniperr007(m): 11:37am On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
Well, I never thought producing cars in Nigeria is impossible, and it is indeed a laudable advancement. But you can't build a house on quicksand and expect it to stand.

Basic infrastructures like electricity have to be in adequate supply otherwise these products might be priced out of reach of average Nigerians, which I believe should constitute the bulk of their customers, due to their high cost of production.

The wealthy folks would still prefer their Toyotas, Hondas, Benzes, Bentleys, GMCs, BMWs, Ferraris etc, to any of the cars produced domestically. When you price products too high (which is inevitable sometimes if you don't wanna incure too much loses), you tend to get lesser patronage and that affects business adversely.

This is just the plain truth I was getting at that all those overly emotional and erratic kids up there are throwing insults here and there.

I understands abt the poor infrastructure but should we wait until we get those infrastructure before me start opening other sectors, why didn't telecoms wait for nepa before they started operation in Nigeria.

Once a nation is industrialized, things that falling to place eg china in the 70s & 80s was rural but when policies like this take effect, development starts coming and job creation also.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by smallJagaban: 11:41am On Dec 04, 2014
CAN THOSE VEHICLES WITHSTAND TOYOTA, NISSAN VEHICLES?

THOSE CARS WERE NOT MANUFACTURED IN NIGERIA BUT ASSEMBLE IN NIGERIA.

ARE THOSE CARS SEEN IN EVERY STATE IN NIGERIA?
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 04, 2014
There's nothing good about the news... Nothing absolutely nothing ....Omenka was just being moderate n nice.
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by IyfeNamikaze(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
And I also saw somewhere one of those cars (not too sure it was innoson tho, but was manufactured locally) that could pass for a Kia Picanto priced at 1.5million!! I was like "nigerians would rather go for a 2001 Camry and pocket the change than buy the car at that cost". These are just stark realities my brother.

maybe you lack foresight, the prize of the locally made cars will be within 1.5 - 3 million for a while, but when they start producing more and more people starts buying the cars, the prize will eventually fall drastically. how much was MTN similar card whn it first arrived naija? N15,000.... how much is it now? N100.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by xcolanto(m): 11:58am On Dec 04, 2014
Nice one from the FG and its partners in ensuring nigeria is progressing steadily in attaining it's vision to be a 'developed' nation come 2020. Indeed, GEJ is working as many would say! Give this incredible man 4 more years and watch him perform beyond expectation. Despite all opposition GEJ is and would sail through the storms to become president until 2019. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Amanwulu1(m): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
...Because some few cars were produced I feel so ashamed sometimes when these people talk. Gosh!! Even pipe borne water we don't get yet someone is spewing this trash.

These men are at best politicians. They lie and lick balls a lot.
I see u dying slowly but I have prayed 4 u. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by DaBullIT(m): 12:21pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
...Because some few cars were produced I feel so ashamed sometimes when these people talk. Gosh!! Even pipe borne water we don't get yet someone is spewing this trash.

I agree with you. But I'll add that the reason why import dropped is because Nigerians are broke , as usual Customs added 35% import duties for cars , when cars get here customers won't be able to afford , even big men are plying Cotonou routes with Bentleys , if i am wrong , why did import reduce ? how many innonso or made in Nigeria cars have been produced / sold to Nigerians ?

Truth is there see it !

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
bushdoc9919:
All well, if the reduction is due to an increase in domestic manufacturing.

If we want to make the reduction more permanent.....Ajaokuta and Light are the two passwords! wink

It's not! The reduction is because of that incredibly steep tax they just slapped on recently. Good grief, the amount of money customs collected from my parents a few months ago gave me a headache. (My dad's retired and preparing to move home.) And now my uncle wants us to send him one undecided
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Litmus: 1:19pm On Dec 04, 2014
Anyone noticed how APC, DBD has now superseded Youroba/Igbo as the means of ruining a perfectly good thread on Niraland ?
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 1:25pm On Dec 04, 2014
DaBullIT:

I agree with you. But I'll add that the reason why import dropped is because Nigerians are broke , as usual Customs added 35% import duties for cars , when cars get here customers won't be able to afford , even big men are plying Cotonou routes with Bentleys , if i am wrong , why did import reduce ? how many innonso or made in Nigeria cars have been produced / sold to Nigerians ?

Truth is there see it !
That is just the truth my brother. The drop isn't really because folks now patronise locally manufactured cars in preference to those imported as this report indirectly wants to make people believe. Rather, the drop is because people simply can't afford to buy those cars anymore, pockets are getting leaner and people are trimming their expenditures to provide for the most basic needs.

Nigerians, as can be seen by most people that quoted me earlier, tend to be too emotional when dealing with issues and hardly analyse trends based on their merits.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 1:36pm On Dec 04, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

maybe you lack foresight, the prize of the locally made cars will be within 1.5 - 3 million for a while, but when they start producing more and more people starts buying the cars, the prize will eventually fall drastically. how much was MTN similar card whn it first arrived naija? N15,000.... how much is it now? N100.
And you my friend fail to see basic economics when it comes to having products with substitutes!!

Granted, when there is market glut, prices inevitably fall, but when you overprice a product that has MANY substitutes that are better and of very competitive prices, you are most likely to wind up operating at huge loses, which ultimately result in the death of your product!!

MTN had some sort of monopoly then, so, whether you liked it or not, you still patronised them. They enjoyed that ride until the other brands came into the picture forcing their prices down. In this case, (innoson) even though you seem to have arrived the party very late, you are calling outrageous prices; chances are people would most likely stick to what they had been using.

The only way innoson could get a real foothold in the domestic auto market is if they crash their prices below what is obtainable amongst their rivals.

Do you understand??

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 1:38pm On Dec 04, 2014
angels09:
There's nothing good about the news... Nothing absolutely nothing ....Omenka was just being moderate n nice.
I think you are taking things personal here. You are most likely a car dealer! cheesycheesy
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 1:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
I think you are taking things personal here. You are most likely a car dealer! cheesycheesy

Yea, I thot as much
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by bettercreature(m): 1:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Look at this people.....that is why i always argue we dont have good economist in Nigeria,20% drop or people are are using COTONOU FAST LANE after the senseless clearing cost charges
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 1:54pm On Dec 04, 2014
bettercreature:
Look at this people.....that is why i always argue we dont have good economist in Nigeria,20% drop or people are are using COTONOU FAST LANE after the senseless clearing cost charges

Which Kind Cotonou fast lane?
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Harmonyemerald(f): 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
am always proud of mt village. NNEWI people always representing. i know soon i will be known for what i did for my country. it is in our blood. ANAEDO KWENU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by DaBullIT(m): 2:25pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
That is just the truth my brother. The drop isn't really because folks now patronise locally manufactured cars in preference to those imported as this report indirectly wants to make people believe. Rather, the drop is because people simply can't afford to buy those cars anymore, pockets are getting leaner and people are trimming their expenditures to provide for the most basic needs.

Nigerians, as can be seen by most people that quoted me earlier, tend to be too emotional when dealing with issues and hardly analyse trends based on their merits.

I am happy that you can also see through the lies, the truth is there , most people just read and comment , instead of reading to reason. This news is just a writeup to promote someone's tenure, if it were true Nigeria is assembling,producing or selling cars to Nigerians lots of graduates will be employed. Innonso autos I think its owned privately and I don't think they produced 1000 cars yet ,even that number can not pit a dent on the % reduction in imports , as you said , people just can't afford those cars anymore .

Let them stop telling us that a cat is a goat. In the same vein somebody announced that FG is releasing 400 B to complete some projects at last minute , when asked if its the right move , he said Nigeria is not broke, 67% Nlanders said its a scam to embezzle before next year , others are saying the previous sets are enemies of progress , meanwhile ASUU and ASUP needs less than 150 B for allowance and salary increment , No lecturer has received the funds they claimed to have released , there's rumor that another strike will begin 1:1:15 , I am just waiting for a few days , weeks or maybe months when okonjo iweala will announce that Nigeria is broke . Some of my previous posts about how wrong It was to severe ties with US , I was being insulted , but I'm happy cos I'll get the chance to show them

If Okonjo announces that Nigeria is broke , FG will run to IMF or World bank and trust me when I say this , USA will prevent Nigeria from having a loan from world bank or IMF , Our crude which could have been our collateral is valueless. Not that its really Valueless , US would want to punish Nigeria for the insults and the ties Jonathan has severed with them . There and then , I will laugh at those who insulted and wrote rubbish .
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 2:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
DaBullIT:

I am happy that you can also see through the lies, the truth is there , most people just read and comment , instead of reading to reason. This news is just a writeup to promote someone's tenure, if it were true Nigeria is assembling,producing or selling cars to Nigerians lots of graduates will be employed. Innonso autos I think its owned privately and I don't think they produced 1000 cars yet ,even that number can not pit a dent on the % reduction in imports , as you said , people just can't afford those cars anymore .

Let them stop telling us that a cat is a goat. In the same vein somebody announced that FG is releasing 400 B to complete some projects at last minute , when asked if its the right move , he said Nigeria is not broke, 67% Nlanders said its a scam to embezzle before next year , others are saying the previous sets are enemies of progress , meanwhile ASUU and ASUP needs less than 150 B for allowance and salary increment , No lecturer has received the funds they claimed to have released , there's rumor that another strike will begin 1:1:15 , I am just waiting for a few days , weeks or maybe months when okonjo iweala will announce that Nigeria is broke . Some of my previous posts about how wrong It was to severe ties with US , I was being insulted , but I'm happy cos I'll get the chance to show them

If Okonjo announces that Nigeria is broke , FG will run to IMF or World bank and trust me when I say this , USA will prevent Nigeria from having a loan from world bank or IMF , Our crude which could have been our collateral is valueless. Not that its really Valueless , US would want to punish Nigeria for the insults and the ties Jonathan has severed with them . There and then , I will laugh at those who insulted and wrote rubbish .

Read your write-up and see what you wish your country.
You say Innoson has not sold upto a 1000 cars, try and google how much the Anambra State and Federal government has patronized Innoson.
You claim our oil is valueless, my dear you are wrong oil has been useful for over a century

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by hunter21(m): 3:14pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:

which pipe borne water are you looking for
no go dig well for your house

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by muktarmtt(m): 3:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:

men dey assemble dem hear but see saying dey manufacture dem hear chai naija politicians
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:54pm On Dec 04, 2014
Boss13:
I think this is a propaganda. Assembly of cars is even fully yet to hit the ground running. I was at Nissan yesterday and I was told that only one model of Nissan cars is being assembled in the country. Toyota is still signing MoUs. Innoson is still proving to Nigerians that he can produce cars rather than he can sells cars. I think we need to start requesting for verifiable evidences when we see report like this.

have you gone to nnewi before?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by DaBullIT(m): 4:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
ducii:

Read your write-up and see what you wish your country.
You say Innoson has not sold upto a 1000 cars, try and google how much the Anambra State and Federal government has patronized Innoson.
You claim our oil is valueless, my dear you are wrong oil has been useful for over a century

Another sentimental comment I have to waste time on , learn to read and understand

The % decrease in importation of vehicles , was that about FG's purchases ? Answer is no , FG and anambra can patronize innonso as much as they want , they can afford it , but the masses ? How many civil servants have used their personal savings to buy innonso vehicles ? I can bet that its less than 100.

*****update , I just searched from 2013 till date , I can only see news result about purchase of 44 vehicles by the Federal Government of Nigeria

I do not wish my country bad, I like to think ahead , ripple effects of every actions and decisions , what I described is not in the realm of impossibilities , it can happen and it would be as a direct result of the indiscretion of Commander in Chief , whst i wrote is called Projecting , Imagination ,however multiple variables are in play so , it may not happen the way I imagined it , but remember that : for every action (from FG) , there's reaction (from USA) that's why world leaders think things through before they make decisions

Finally ,Yes the Nigerian crude has been useful for centuries , useful to line pockets of cabals and politicians , from what I'm reading , Nigeria as a country does not have any savings , Crude is cheaper than it usually is , there's excess in the world today so our dear nation has to sell cheaper ( if anyone's willing to buy that is). Eventually selling cheap would not bring profit because our dear country chooses to pay to transport and refine crude overseas then re-transport back to the country . which means our country's crude and refining payment will still be a loss to our own economy.

Our crude is so useful that FG has not paid ASUU or ASUP
We still don't have stable power
We still buy a litre of our own oil above the pump price in countries we sell to
We still don't have roads , bridges or an standard of living compared to other countries in the world who don't even have crude

Seek ye the truth and ye shall be set free , meditate on what I wrote and try not to insult me in your reply

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:

Nope I just summarized all that I should have said in a brief statement....to have a glimpse into my thoughts just do a survey of the Brazilian developmental efforts under Lula ... And compare with Nigeria's own...sick efforts
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by omenka(m): 5:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
angels09:

Nope I just summarized all that I should have said in a brief statement....to have a glimpse into my thoughts just do a survey of the Brazilian developmental efforts under Lula ... And compare with Nigeria's own...sick efforts
Da Silva is simply an iconic leader. Brazil could never have it better.
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:

Good! You understand my perceptions n position...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by rhymz(m): 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
And I also saw somewhere one of those cars (not too sure it was innoson tho, but was manufactured locally) that could pass for a Kia Picanto priced at 1.5million!! I was like "nigerians would rather go for a 2001 Camry and pocket the change than buy the car at that cost". These are just stark realities my brother.
You are an ed! Ot that does not know when to stop. Your hate for Jonathan is driving you mad..... You would rather things continue to get worse just so you can be justified in your Jonathan hate..... What a person.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by najoke: 9:26pm On Dec 04, 2014
omenka:
I admire ur maturity by ignoring the insults….. Truth is bitter
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by banky3w(m): 6:46pm On Dec 06, 2014
If importation like, make e reduce by 1000000000000000000000000000%! I go still bring in my Honda crosstour next year
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by ducii: 8:59am On Dec 08, 2014
banky3w:
If importation like, make e reduce by 1000000000000000000000000000%! I go still bring in my Honda crosstour next year

See your life
Re: Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry by jpphilips(m): 1:31pm On Dec 11, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

You actually made the above comparison? how old are you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu’s Masterplan: Between Political Correctness And Municipal Expediency / Ogun Women Protest Against 11% Representation In Governor Dapo Abiodun's Cabinet / Twitter Ban: Court Dismisses Suit Against FG, Fines SERAP N100,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.