Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria (1317 Views)

10 Years In Marriage, Are You Still In Love? / “why Marriages Are No Longer Working In Nigeria’ Seun Kuti Breaks It Down / Why Marriage Fails? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Suarezilla(m): 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
In a new interview with Encomium magazine, afrobeat singer, songwriter and saxophonist Seun Kuti, who has said many times that he doesn't believe in marriage, said one of the reasons marriages no longer last in Nigeria is because women are no longer submissive. Read below & tell us if you agree........

"I don't believe in marriage. The truth is, the marriage institution in Nigeria has collapsed. Nobody is getting married for long anymore. On the average, it's within a year. Although they still marry, they separate. The thing responsible for it is that people get married for the wrong reasons. As a matter of fact, the institution of marriage is fading away in the traditional sense of marriage - for love; for better or worse; and all sort. It's fading because women are no longer submissive.

For you to live together with someone for life, someone must be submissive. That is easier when women are not working, and they depend on their husband. But now, its becoming difficult because they are working; making more money even more than the men. The situation is terrible. Even if you as a man is not looking outside, your wife will look.

I've made a decision and my partner already agreed. In fact there was a wedding we went attended in Ibadan, the couple broke up at the reception. Because of picture, the bride's father wanted to take first, the groom's father said No and they started quarreling. The couple broke up at the reception. How about that?

About my father marrying 27 wives, if you look deep, you will discover that in 1986 my father divorced all his wives. People seem to forget this fact. It also goes to buttress my point that says marriage is becoming a fading institution. Fela was the epitome of marriage. First, he married one woman, then he married 26 at once. He has experienced both, and later he came out to say marriage is bad. What about that?" He said
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
Suarezilla:
In a new interview with Encomium magazine, afrobeat singer, songwriter and saxophonist Seun Kuti, who has said many times that he doesn't believe in marriage, said one of the reasons marriages no longer last in Nigeria is because women are no longer submissive. Read below & tell us if you agree........

"I don't believe in marriage. The truth is, the marriage institution in Nigeria has collapsed. Nobody is getting married for long anymore. On the average, it's within a year. Although they still marry, they separate. The thing responsible for it is that people get married for the wrong reasons. As a matter of fact, the institution of marriage is fading away in the traditional sense of marriage - for love; for better or worse; and all sort. It's fading because women are no longer submissive.

For you to live together with someone for life, someone must be submissive. That is easier when women are not working, and they depend on their husband. But now, its becoming difficult because they are working; making more money even more than the men. The situation is terrible. Even if you as a man is not looking outside, your wife will look.

I've made a decision and my partner already agreed. In fact there was a wedding we went attended in Ibadan, the couple broke up at the reception. Because of picture, the bride's father wanted to take first, the groom's father said No and they started quarreling. The couple broke up at the reception. How about that?

About my father marrying 27 wives, if you look deep, you will discover that in 1986 my father divorced all his wives. People seem to forget this fact. It also goes to buttress my point that says marriage is becoming a fading institution. Fela was the epitome of marriage. First, he married one woman, then he married 26 at once. He has experienced both, and later he came out to say marriage is bad. What about that?" He said
K
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Suarezilla(m): 7:14pm On Dec 03, 2014
Veralaw:

K
"K" family detected!

1 Like

Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 03, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by eph12(m): 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2014
Which marriage is not working again?
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Lianaluv(f): 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2014
Marriage is still working for those that wnt it to work for them. Don't deceive yourself. If its not working for one person, it doesn't mean it can't work for another.

1 Like

Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by coogar: 9:01pm On Dec 03, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
First of all, let us ask ourselves if marriages were better in the past. If the fact that they lasted longer is a measure for success then we can say that they were more successful. But were they happier?

Look at the world now and the way people are and behave.
Did these marriages bring about happy, peaceful, healthy individuals who made the world a better place?
I don't really think so.

We should ask ourselves what it takes to make marriages happier. Happy marriages will bring about happy children and strong, healthy and of course happy individuals who will in return make the world a better place.

I have no solution for everyone and every marriage but I am convinced that blaming others or one particular group of people will not make marriages any happier. I think the solution that is suggested here is a dangerous one. It wants to make marriages last by force. This is not a reasonable solution.

And I refuse to believe that marriages were better in the past. If they had been, people would not have had the desire to change them or give up on them altogether.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
coogar:

This is hilarious....grin grin grin......
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by okotv(m): 9:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:
First of all, let us ask ourselves if marriages were better in the past. If the fact that they lasted longer is a measure for success then we can say that they were more successful. But were they happier?

Look at the world now and the way people are and behave?
Did these marriages bring about happy, peaceful, healthy individuals who made the world a better place?
I don't really think so.

We should ask ourselves what it takes to make marriages happier. Happy marriages will bring about happy children and strong, healthy and of course happy individuals who will in return make the world a better place.

I have no solution for everyone and every marriage but I am convinced that blaming others or one particular group of people will not make marriages any happier. I think the solution that is suggested here is a dangerous one. It wants to make marriages last by force. This is not a reasonable solution.

And I refuse to believe that marriages were better in the past. If they had been, people would not have had the desire to change them or give up on them altogether.

when wisdom speaks...I always listen

gracias
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
okotv:
when wisdom speaks...I always listen

gracias

de nada. kiss
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by okotv(m): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

de nada. kiss
can you speak Deutsch ?
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2014
okotv:
can you speak Deutsch ?

Na klar, sehr gut sogar. smiley
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by okotv(m): 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Na klar, sehr gut sogar. smiley
now am confused....I agree you can speak and even write
Re: Why Marriage Are No Longer Working In Nigeria by KanwuliaJara: 9:57pm On Dec 03, 2014
No wonder half of the children he CLAIMED to have are not his! grin
Like area fada. . . .Like area son!
Product of a PP(public pehnis)! grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do These And Have A Happier Marriage / How Much Should A Person Spend On His In-laws For The Coming Holiday ? / When You Eat The Forbidden Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.