Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Ribadu Under Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Under Attack (740 Views)

Secondus Under Attack For Blaming Amaechi For His Arrest / Breaking News: Kogi State Is Under Attack Right Now. DSS Office Under Siege! / Damboa Town Is Currently Under Attack By Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Under Attack by EDIPO(m): 1:46pm On Dec 02, 2008
NUHU RIBADU’S GIFT FROM A TROUBLED NATION
Events that welcomed the emergence of President Yar’adua and his subsequent assumption to office vis-à-vis his implementation of the power to hire and fire has no doubt left so many heads dropped in outright disappointment.
It is important to state clear from the scratch that there is not attempt to blow a man’s trumpet beyond his score card. As a matter of fact, my concern is predicated on the creed of an injustice to one, being an injustice to all.
This is one philosophy that in my mind had strengthened the will and limits of comradeship.
From the onset, I’d like to emphasize my bitterness over the attack on Nuhu Ribadu. This does not in any way speak for Ribadu alone as an individual, but for the millions of voiceless Nigerians who are facing worse prosecution in the face of an overblown Respect for the rule of Law agenda of our hide and seek President.
Without need to run through the resume of Ribadu and/or his outstanding and rare display of courage in the execution of his duties while in office, I think it is important to commend the maturity with which he has handled the chains of events so far especially in the areas of utterances. May I also stress that much as I had problems with some of his approaches as the helmsman of the EFCC, I’d score him excellent on the overall rating.
Given the historical challenges of a country governed not only by corrupt leaders but also over-impoverished followership, one would have expected that the anti-corruption crusade of Ribadu would create a strong foundation for a better Nigeria. It seems to me at the moment that the efficacy, luster, zeal, courage and dedication that graced Nuhu’s modus operandi at the EFCC left with him. It therefore makes it look as if EFCC in itself was just a mere parastatal that enjoyed the occupation of a committed statesman.
As a matter of fact, (without intentions to be rude) to have brought in a Waziri after Ribadu was the first insult Ribadu and every other Nigerian who saw hope in the crusade suffered.
You may or not agree with me that President Yar’adua has in recent time shown his penchant for placing square pegs in round holes; one of such goofs was the appointment of Prof. Ajanachukwu as the Minister of Education, a man who could not clearly read Mr. President’s speech at the Convocation Ceremony of the University of Ibadan. So, moves like this would only come to reconfirm the weakness and judgmental flaws of our President.
That Barrack Obama, the President elect of the USA is taking far more critical steps while he has not been sworn in than our own serving president as argued by Chief Gani Fawehinmi is a statement of fact!
The mafia manner with which Ribadu was removed from office despite the warnings and advice of well meaning Nigerians and subsequent treatments meted out on him successfully painted a picture of a country with very little or no regards at all for Hard work and Patriotism. I can now understand the story of the neglect of Chief Taiwo Akinwunmi, who designed the Nigerian Green-White-Green flag.
Besides the fact that a very weak, unwilling and foot-dragging Waziri was arranged to take after Ribadu, the government had at no time acknowledged the good  work of Ribadu like many other hardworking Nigerians too. They had instead dashed out National honours to their associates, prostitutes and bootlickers.
As if that was not enough, Ribadu and some other hard working police officers, (Yinka Balogun for emphasis) were demoted unjustly to various ranks. May I ask for the sake of enlightenment, what has happened to the likes of Tafa Balogun despite his conviction?
While these went on, for a man who understood his rights within and outside the police profession, he maintained a very respectable level of public decorum and sought legal relief. I would have expected that such gesture be commended and equally acknowledged. Lo and behold, Ribadu was made to go through another round of embarrassment as to whether he was fit to continue with his course at the NIPSS, Kuru, Plateau State. For emphasis, this is one course you only embark on based on recommendation unlike JAMB or WAEC where you have to duly register to signify your intentions to participate. The Kuru episode as to whether or not Ribadu was fit to continue with his course after his unlawful demotion also exposed the moribund administrative approach of the leadership of the Nigeria Police Force, Mike Okiro and the Nigeria Police Commission.
To heighten this series of hatred, administrative high handedness, witch-hunt and outright disregards for the rule of law, Ribadu and his family members were forcefully dragged out of the unity Conference Hall of the NIPSS on the day he was supposed to graduate with 64 other colleagues,
Where then lies the hope of those of us who fall under the Nigerian definition of a common man, who can not afford a SAN to stand in for us in a court of law or who are not likely to enjoy any press coverage when we are faced with similar challenges?
I do not share the argument that Ribadu is being punished by Bigwigs who felt he had stepped on their toes while in office, I would rather resolutely stand on the fact that President Yar’adua is not only weak but equally an accomplice in the abuse of established rules governing the existence of Nigeria.
Finally, I consider it appropriate for organization s and groups to lend their voices and identify with the truth at this time of another man’s trying time. It is no gainsaying that we are all susceptible to the current madness. Like it is commonly said during the bizarre period of the Nazis; “When they came for the Jews, you claimed to be a Christian, when they came for the Christians, you claimed to be a Jew. The day they come for you, you can be no other person but you.”
Nigeria should learn to honour and appreciate Ribadu, this prosecution is far becoming an embarrassment to our Civil Rule as we all jointly anticipate we grow into a full fledge Democracy.
Elegbede Dipo.
e_dipo81@yahoo.com
Re: Ribadu Under Attack by cre8tivity(f): 2:00pm On Dec 02, 2008
nigerians tend to follow one another (blind men following blind men), it is a shame that we forgot yesterday so quick. the same ribadu that arrested and dragged people through out the streets of nigeria without any solid justification is now crying like a rapped prostitute. if the man cares so much about nigeria, then he should have shown a great example by respecting the law, the same way you and i respect the law. just incase you didn't know: the man was invited by efcc/ fed govt over and over for the past few months, but he ignored the invitation till few weeks ago when he wrote them a letter. the law is law, ribadu should not be treated differently from any one of us. ribadu is a big fool that finds it difficult to follow the same rules he once tried to push insider people's throat. we all need to clearly understand that nigeria is bigger than any one of us, i think ribadu deserved what he got and will continue to get if he doesn't obey the rules.
Re: Ribadu Under Attack by cre8tivity(f): 2:11pm On Dec 02, 2008
edipo
have you asked yourself why ribadu continues to disobey the rules? i do not think that ribadu is under attack only because he stepped on bigwigs' toes, the fact is ribadu continues to intentionally step on the rules. therefore, he wants what he's getting. what he wants and what he's getting is called attention. if you feel so bad for him, you should then advice him to be smarter and follow the same rules we all follow as citizens of nigeria. just because you've done well for your country doesn't permit you to disobey the rules. an american soldier that lost both legs in iraq fighting for his country still has to obey the rules or else he would be mistreated like a criminal. ribadu must follow the rules, it is that simple.
Re: Ribadu Under Attack by Muza(m): 2:53pm On Dec 02, 2008
Why are we disturbing ourselves over Ribadu,is he superhuman?
Why does he want to fight the Nigerian state and police,disobeying orders from "above" grin.
When the guy was disobeying rules,courts orders,handcuffing and dragging suspects,he never thought that the tables will turn.
Some one should pls tell ribadu that we live in a round world,what goes round will surley come around.
How can you cry for a guy that presided over EFCC with 400 of the 700 workers from Adamawa,also selling seized properties to his cronies,did this guy think that OBJ would have ruled for ever.
Let the guy be wise,accept his demotion,go and beg for forgiveness then move to the background.
The ppl doin this to him are not clean,but he is not clean either.

WEEP NOT FOR RIBADU!

(1) (Reply)

2009 Predictions" Five Speakers To Be Impeached, Three Ssgs Sacked.more Inside / A New Nigeria Of My Dream / House Of Reps 4 Million Naira Sallah/xmas Bonus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.